Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Hello, goons. I come to you because we seriously need a solution.

My wife runs a small business (like 50 people) which does service of process and other legal document things. Her parents started the business back in the 80s, and for a couple of decades they've been using a very modified version of filemaker pro as the only database for the company. Unfortunately, the system is terribly slow (since everything runs off a server at the central headquarters, no matter where in the country employees are accessing it, and because every time you pull up a record it tries to reload the entire database, among other reasons.) Nevermind that the interface is garbage, support from filemaker is non-existent, and a zillion other little issues. Soooooo what we need is a new database solution, but we're not sure where to turn.

Abilities we need:
- Customer-facing portal for clients to request services as individual work orders, including the uploading of document files
- Ability for workers to interface with those work orders using a large number of custom fields, including via mobile device through a simple app, with data entry tracking (essentially, who entered what when)
- Ability to create internal documents (not client generated) for internal processes
- Ability to automate customer communication as various stages of the work order are completed.
- Work order -> billing integration
- Cloud based
- Cost effective

My first thought was Salesforce, but I don't have any experience using those products in this particular application. Other systems that I work with aren't really applicable, as they either have revenue models that won't work for this business (outsourced document creation with a fee per submission) or they're super old tech that won't do anything that we want anyway.

Any ideas are super helpful here, as a major new client has just been picked up and filemaker can't even figure out how to code a request form. Ugh.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PC windows 10 across the company.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No budget established yet, but it's still basically a mom and pop style business despite offices in multiple cities and a bunch of employees. A four figure solution as mentioned above is probably the most realistic.