Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echi I see you updating your YouTube channel, good stuff keep it coming brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks . the videos are too big for any other service. i’m making another now and the water looks juicy but the geometry might be very hosed up

Songbearer posted:

Experimenting with a render farm for my animation and got the test renders for a good 1080p with just enough denoising to not make it cost a bomb and I'm so hype for how well these turned out

The bad news is that it's still gonna run me about $500 for the full animation, which.. uh... :stonklol: is a little more than I wanted to spend. For something I've worked on from three years basically from scratch with only a few tiny little projects beforehand, though, I'll probably budget for it and make it work. Somehow. Project is too large for Sheepit and I'm not entirely sure I could condense it down to 750mb with all the assets packed, and while I can render some of it on my rig it takes about 10min per frame with uh 15000 frames in the project entirely. Still, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right. Lookit the car!!!

10 mins a frame seems long. wonder if that money would go better into a video card?

like if you don’t mind me asking what are your render settings? samples? res? I’ve spent a lot of time over the years min/maxing settings to get it to speed up and or give better results

smoke/cloud was the one thing that was consistently incredibly, almost unusably slow to render

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have a 3080ti currently and an issue I kept running into was the card running out of memory, even with the scene rendered in a shaded view, so the times given was with CPU only. Bizzarely switching the viewport to wireframe lets it render normally now so I'm getting 5 minutes to a frame which is a little bit more bareable.

Scene is:

Res: 1920 x 1080

FPS: 30

Frame Range: 11 - 15000 (so a little less than 15000)

Samples: 64

Noise Threshold: 0.0100 (Adjusting this is something that will help but it's a hard balancing act, I don't want to lose too much detail because Youtube will crush it even further)

Light Paths

Max Bounces: 12
Diffuse: 4
Glossy: 4
Transmission: 12
Volume: 0
Transparent: 250 (High due to the amount of transparent grass/bush/tree/glass in the scene, it goes bad at lower levels)

Caustics: None

Volumes

Step Rate Render: 5.00
Max Steps: 64

Simplify On:
Max Subdivisions: 4
Child Particles: 1.000
Tex Limit: 2048

Culling:
Camera culling on 0.10

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

echi I see you updating your YouTube channel, good stuff keep it coming brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOwL45Ky60E

this is it

I can't get the ocean modifier to do what I want it to do so don't look too closely

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Songbearer posted:

I have a 3080ti currently and an issue I kept running into was the card running out of memory, even with the scene rendered in a shaded view, so the times given was with CPU only. Bizzarely switching the viewport to wireframe lets it render normally now so I'm getting 5 minutes to a frame which is a little bit more bareable.

Scene is:

Res: 1920 x 1080

FPS: 30

Frame Range: 11 - 15000 (so a little less than 15000)

Samples: 64

Noise Threshold: 0.0100 (Adjusting this is something that will help but it's a hard balancing act, I don't want to lose too much detail because Youtube will crush it even further)

Light Paths

Max Bounces: 12
Diffuse: 4
Glossy: 4
Transmission: 12
Volume: 0
Transparent: 250 (High due to the amount of transparent grass/bush/tree/glass in the scene, it goes bad at lower levels)

Caustics: None

Volumes

Step Rate Render: 5.00
Max Steps: 64

Simplify On:
Max Subdivisions: 4
Child Particles: 1.000
Tex Limit: 2048

Culling:
Camera culling on 0.10

yeah those are pretty modest. defo need to figure out a way to reduce the memory footprint. although I wouldn't know how to do that.

does blender have a tool to break down what in a scene takes up all the memory?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

you sjould make those transparent foliages into just geometry if you don’t have too many unique models, those transparency passes will kill you

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Aji57eB1MY

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If it turns out that you're a little short on memory, you could probably drop the resolution of some textures and check if you have unnecessarily massive meshes.

I wonder, does RAM use under CPU rendering match how much VRAM the scene takes? If it does, you could check how much you come short and if you can make it fit. If you do, it'll be many times faster on the GPU.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

not if he has a 128 core new threadripper

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

fart simpson posted:

not if he has a 128 core new threadripper
I dunno if the scores are directly comparable but on the Blender benchmark site a $10k Threadripper Pro has a score of 2591 whereas a 3080 TI does 5431.

Hardware raytracing go brr

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Elukka posted:

I dunno if the scores are directly comparable but on the Blender benchmark site a $10k Threadripper Pro has a score of 2591 whereas a 3080 TI does 5431.

Hardware raytracing go brr

but the threadripper can enable more features and access as much ram as u want

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

fart simpson posted:

but the threadripper can enable more features and access as much ram as u want
Yeah that's why anyone CPU renders. Pretty much any GPU is going to be faster than any reasonable CPU, but if the scene doesn't fit in VRAM it doesn't fit in VRAM.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I use both :smugmrgw:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Jenny Agutter posted:

you sjould make those transparent foliages into just geometry if you don’t have too many unique models, those transparency passes will kill you

Yeah I'm gonna give this a shot - I think I'm shooting myself in the foot with the amount of foliage on top of the particle effects I'm using and I could probably get away with using impostor trees in the far distance too

Now I am literally cutting grass for this drat project it is not Thrilling

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Songbearer posted:

Yeah I'm gonna give this a shot - I think I'm shooting myself in the foot with the amount of foliage on top of the particle effects I'm using and I could probably get away with using impostor trees in the far distance too

Now I am literally cutting grass for this drat project it is not Thrilling

yah if those trees are all "real" then you probably wanna be using proxies or whatever

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

echinopsis posted:

woah I'm rendering a 4k animation and when I output I always output the composited png ready to animation, but also export the raw render as an exr, so that I could fix the post processing if I needed to

and each frame is like 90mb for 4k exr

checked to see how big the folder for my half minute animation was and it was close to 40gb

these are 2 recent projects... the one on the left is 35 seconds total, the one on the right, the final animation was 65 seconds long lol
90% of this is just fully stacked exrs and they're all 1080p, not even 4k, I only upscale to 4k once after the edit is exported. animation is a bitch.

i hope it was ok to post this.... i didnt use blender :/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s yospos, :justpost:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
only 3% of posts here are on topic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

these are 2 recent projects... the one on the left is 35 seconds total, the one on the right, the final animation was 65 seconds long lol
90% of this is just fully stacked exrs and they're all 1080p, not even 4k, I only upscale to 4k once after the edit is exported. animation is a bitch.

i hope it was ok to post this.... i didnt use blender :/

that’s a lotta fuckin data

wish it had a compressed version

canon now does compressed raw and I do believe it’s a tiny amount lossy but no normal person can tell the difference

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Enabling culling on all my objects and the camera massively improved render times, more finagling to follow to get the best I can get

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
re-simulating a scene from ages ago. because I have little imagination to do something new

but rendering at higher simulation resolution. each subframe takes 45 seconds or so to calculate and thewre are 24 per frame :cry: and as the sim goes on each frame takes longer as there is more water

her'e a single frame

it'll look sweet when it's moving.

since the sim takes sooo long to do, prolly worth doing a long smooth render too :smugmrgw:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no doubt about it, I need a threadripper

e: just shy of 10k nzd nbd

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 22, 2024

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

echinopsis posted:

no doubt about it, I need a threadripper

e: just shy of 10k nzd nbd

if we all chip in together you can easily buy me one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I spent a good chunk last light trying to improve the topology on my space shuttle but I think i only made it worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hell yeah that’s what I am talking about

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so the sim im using is flip fluids which I bought a while back so it’s not the built in fluid sim

just have to say it’s one of the best pieces of software i’ve ever used

i’ve used many many many softwares over my life, and ya just know when something is made by people who get it

everything in their menus makes sense, everything has good tooltips. you can turn on documentation in the settings so it gives you links to what each setting does in that window. anything you’d want to do is right there, and things that are uncommon are in advanced menus

it’ll let you run the sim in the console so it doesn’t tie up blender at all. it recovers from stopped and halted sims flawlessly. haven’t had it crash since earlier versions

the side menu that you use to add domains or whatever is also so well thought out. it makes what could be very complex into something not complex at all

anyway just some praise for some extremely good software - coz as you know most is dogshit (i’m looking at you adobe)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

single threaded though :/

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

single threaded though :/

Distributing computation over multiple systems and CPUs is not supported in the FLIP Fluids simulator. The simulator is multi-threaded, but the FLIP simulation is not highly parallelizable and is often not able to benefit from distributed computation. There are methods to allow for distributed computing using the FLIP method, but have limited use and is outside of the scope of the FLIP Fluids project. Simulations large enough to benefit from distributed computing are likely too large to be displayed and rendered in Blender.

which sucks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kinda makes sense. i think theres only so much parallel you can do because everything depends on the results of everything else

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That quote says it's multi threaded, you just can't distribute it over multiple cpu's/machines, which is true for PHX & Houdini too.
Turn off hyper threading, fluid simulations hate fake cores.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

holky crap blender 4.1 added a bake node

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

holky crap blender 4.1 added a bake node

EXCUSE ME

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is a post from the alpha but it still works like this. you drop it into your node tree and press the bake button and it will bake everything before that in the tree so you can do a bunch of slow crap in the earlier part of the node tree, save it, then do other operations after that and change them without recalculating everything. supports animations too

https://twitter.com/lopoisaac/status/1737361299514761474

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

fart simpson posted:

this is a post from the alpha but it still works like this. you drop it into your node tree and press the bake button and it will bake everything before that in the tree so you can do a bunch of slow crap in the earlier part of the node tree, save it, then do other operations after that and change them without recalculating everything. supports animations too

https://twitter.com/lopoisaac/status/1737361299514761474

Is SO good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

That quote says it's multi threaded, you just can't distribute it over multiple cpu's/machines, which is true for PHX & Houdini too.
Turn off hyper threading, fluid simulations hate fake cores.

:chanpop:

is that something you can do per app? or have to do it in bios /whatwver

tbh i’ve never hosed with it

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I've seriously got to get back in the game over the summer. College has me busy learning basically the entire Adobe suite.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Is SO good.

i havent used houdini much at all but it looks similar to how houdini works. lets those nerds do way more complex calculations and still have a p deece 6.5 figgies of performance

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey blenderers, maybe this is a total noob question but I’m having trouble finding an answer that works with the current version of blender. (also it sucks that searching for blender stuff often digs up stackexchange posts from 10 years ago that aren’t relevant)

so I’m learning how to clean up topology and straighten up vertices using eg. constrained scaling and the looptools plugin. that’s fine if I want to do a straight line but what I really want to be able to do is draw a nice smooth bezier curve and snap vertices to it. idk if that’s something people do, or if there’s a better way to align verts on a curve. what am I missing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I can’t think of a way to nudge verts like that. are you extremely memory constrained or something? just use a knife project to get smooth vertex curves on a surface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I guess maybe I’m describing it wrong. but also, I’m not exactly memory constrained but I am going for a low poly aesthetic.