Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
without being at pc to work out if this works

make proper curve.. convert to poly .. and the use snapping tools?? you may have to join the objects so within edit you have access to both things

maybe i’m misunderstanding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
yeah I’ll try to explain better later, was sorta just thinking about it and wondering if anyone knew what I was talkin about

I think I sorta answered my own question though, I’lol try it out later but, I’m guessing ppl work with a low geometry model & let subdivide do the work making smooth curves. but also I was trying to snap to a Bézier curve but it wouldn’t work, but I think it was because I hadn’t joined the objects. I will try that

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

without being at pc to work out if this works

make proper curve.. convert to poly .. and the use snapping tools?? you may have to join the objects so within edit you have access to both things

maybe i’m misunderstanding

Looks like you don't need to join it, but yeah, this seems to be the simplest way. Gotta convert the curve to a mesh.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ohhhhhhhhh because it needs vertices to snap to and a curve doesn’t have any until it’s converted

that’s why it didn’t work

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Silver Alicorn posted:

ohhhhhhhhh because it needs vertices to snap to and a curve doesn’t have any until it’s converted

that’s why it didn’t work

You can use edge snapping.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i merely lurk this thread but i thought yall might enjoy this (notmine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfZvjs5nNM

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

hey blenderers, maybe this is a total noob question but I’m having trouble finding an answer that works with the current version of blender. (also it sucks that searching for blender stuff often digs up stackexchange posts from 10 years ago that aren’t relevant)

so I’m learning how to clean up topology and straighten up vertices using eg. constrained scaling and the looptools plugin. that’s fine if I want to do a straight line but what I really want to be able to do is draw a nice smooth bezier curve and snap vertices to it. idk if that’s something people do, or if there’s a better way to align verts on a curve. what am I missing

i can think of how to do this using some extreme nodeing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah so as far as I can tell, you do have to convert the curves to meshes to be able to snap to them, but it's a really good build aid. it's not perfect but these curves look so much better.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah so as far as I can tell, you do have to convert the curves to meshes to be able to snap to them, but it's a really good build aid. it's not perfect but these curves look so much better.

btw this would be a very good use case for v simple geometry nodes. instead of converting the curve to a mesh as normal, you could throw a geometry node on there with the curve to mesh as the only node and then you’d have a nondestructive modifier that you can go back and edit the base curve or change the curve to mesh settings or something later

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah... I really should learn nodes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

yeah... I really should learn nodes

just something like this should work

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Might be wrong but you could also extrude the curve a little ( not at my pc, but doesn't offset give you a flat plane instead of a tube ) and then use snap to surface on it. Though what FS posted is probably the better idea for what you want.

Been messing with a rending style to blow off steam after work, still a couple things I wanna do to it but it's almost there.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Keket posted:

Might be wrong but you could also extrude the curve a little ( not at my pc, but doesn't offset give you a flat plane instead of a tube ) and then use snap to surface on it. Though what FS posted is probably the better idea for what you want.

Been messing with a rending style to blow off steam after work, still a couple things I wanna do to it but it's almost there.

hell yeah is that grease pencil or something else

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hwoof I spent a while playing around with vertex/edge snapping and I figured out a way to do what I was going for. I'm making nice smooth convex geometry now :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugwizard:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh oops oh jeez I saved over my file with all the modifiers still split, good thing this is low poly so it won't be hard to fix!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

just something like this should work

yeah, this definitely works.

go to the modifier panel when the curve is selected

then open a geometry node editor, click on "new" and then right click on the node editor and the two nodes you need are here

one other option is to just draw a reference image in some other software, then add an empty, make it an image empty, open the image you want to use as a reference and just eyeball it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

oh oops oh jeez I saved over my file with all the modifiers still split, good thing this is low poly so it won't be hard to fix!

auto saves??

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

fart simpson posted:

hell yeah is that grease pencil or something else

Yeah pretty much using the line art modifier pointed at a collection, then noise on the resulting lines and a basic cell shader.

Friend slung me some assets from a ue5 scene he's working on so I put them together, only problem is the lightingn control on the shader isn't as robust as I want so there's the next hill.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

auto saves??

too old!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's ok I can just cut it in half and mirror everything again

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

don’t talk about yourself like that! you’re young in my heart

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqz5ESk7cB0

when it finishes uploading you can view this

its long

I used a lightpath node so the rodtronics logo only shows up if its not a camera lightpath, so it only shows up under the water, not above it. like the rising water is revearling it

good poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

its long

I used a lightpath node so the rodtronics logo only shows up if its not a camera lightpath, so it only shows up under the water, not above it. like the rising water is revearling it

good poo poo

yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also I invented a new trick

I don’t really like the end result of noise reduced, looks a bit burns-victim. the noisy image looks sharper but .. noisy :chanpop:

so in compositor I mix 50/50 the noisy and noise reduced image, and so at 64 samples I get an image I am very content with with few samples and quick render

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
one thing that could work is rendering the animation at a higher resolution with a higher noise threshold and then scaling it down to reduce the noise (or sharpen the result if you use denoising at the higher res)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
really good tutorial about uv unwrapping in blender. there's more to it than just marking seams, unwrapping and then cursing about the distorted uv maps. you can actually improve the result!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTnErh6p6Nc

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

its long

good poo poo

i did a much lower resolution simulation using the builtin fluidsim, my idea was to use the fluid as a dynamic paint brush and the skull as a dynamic paint canvas and add clearcoat on the skull according to the wet map, and also make the color darker and more saturated, but the effect ended up being way too suble to see in the render

https://i.imgur.com/4rWflx2.mp4

if i really crank up the clearcoat and make the underlying color super dark, you can kind of see it here, mainly through the liquid where the skull is 100% wet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I didn't even know wetmap was a thing. I love it

also loving the bubonics

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
well, if it wasn't obvious, the search term is "dynamic paint".

it's pretty easy to understand. you can use either an uv map and and 2 image sequence or vertex colors on the canvas to store the color and wetness information

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll look into it, thanks. and no it wasn’t obvious. wonder if it works with with my fluid

also anyone dm me if they wanna try out a demo of the fluid sim i’m using

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

I’ll look into it, thanks. and no it wasn’t obvious. wonder if it works with with my fluid

you can use any mesh to paint any other mesh, it's a separate process and not related to fluid sims:

https://i.imgur.com/s2OpAzB.mp4

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
in that case the monkey is the canvas and the cube and ball are brushes. the cube's paint color has been set to blue (this is not related to the cube's material color, which is also blue). the ball's paint color has been set to red.

the monkey's material uses the color from the color map to drive the base color of the material and the inverse of the wetmap to drive roughness, that is maximum wetness = minimum roughness. dripping has been enabled on the paint, but gravity's influence has been reduced to .25

the initial color on the monkey has been set to white, the paint settings have been set so that the paint dries over 120 frames with an exponential fallof ("slow" checkbox under the "dry" setting)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

canvas paint is pretty cool, I used it for a couple of my ball renders from that thread a few years back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

good thread that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6LnlcotHE

cvolourful

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

anyone have a link to the last yospos logo/ident thread?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Got my frames down to ~2min render times if busy and <30s when quiet :c00l:

Using meshes instead of transparent .pngs for my grass really helped a lot, enabling camera culling on everything was the real secret sauce and basically halved render times before optimisation. Distance culling on the grass planes and homogenising a few volumetrics, then reducing the bounces on some lights and just spending ages tinkering with render bounce values got me into a really nice place with no real loss of quality or needing to get my hands dirty manually reducing texture sizes.

Now it's actually feasable for me to be able to render this myself - did almost 2k out of the 15k frames in half a day. Thanks once again to everyone in this thread for helping, the assistance has been invaluable

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jenny Agutter posted:

anyone have a link to the last yospos logo/ident thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3967496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Songbearer posted:

Got my frames down to ~2min render times if busy and <30s when quiet :c00l:

Using meshes instead of transparent .pngs for my grass really helped a lot, enabling camera culling on everything was the real secret sauce and basically halved render times before optimisation. Distance culling on the grass planes and homogenising a few volumetrics, then reducing the bounces on some lights and just spending ages tinkering with render bounce values got me into a really nice place with no real loss of quality or needing to get my hands dirty manually reducing texture sizes.

Now it's actually feasable for me to be able to render this myself - did almost 2k out of the 15k frames in half a day. Thanks once again to everyone in this thread for helping, the assistance has been invaluable

you mean the grass being real geometry instead of img on plane actually sped up renders? thats weird