Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

birthday snipe

https://www.blender.org/news/celebrating-30-years-of-blender/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I have spent several months doing sound work on the animation and let me tell ya

Sound editing is just, so much work

Even with a full library of thousands of sounds there's so much to do to cover all the actions in a scene. Mad props to people who do this full time

With the sound design done (almost finished all the action sounds with ambient and incidental to follow which will take far less) and some polish/tweaking for the last few details of the project, I can finally throw it at a render farm and finish this once and for all

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
and get 3 views on youtube

E: The hardest part of this is that I need music to focus on projects, even if I'm passionate about them, otherwise I get distracted and find myself doing other things. Sound design precludes this. If I can listen to music or a podcast I can maintain concentration for hours but the fact that I have to be here in relative silence to find just the right audio clip is maddening aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
okay apparently weight painting in blender only really works in ortographic view, at least when trying to tweak the weights of single vertices. in perspective view single vertices might not be exactly where they should be. seems dumb, but ok

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there any displacement going on?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

weight painting is what they call it when ur mom wants to change the color of her living room

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

echinopsis posted:

is there any displacement going on?

the mesh has an armature, which i have posed to reveal awkward weights. and when i see some vertex poking out in a direction it shouldn't and i try to adjust its weight, sometimes it's very hard to "hit" the vertex. but it seems like using ortographic view solves the issue

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
speaking of rigging:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
if the bone pivots from the wrong point, add another bone (a mechanism bone, MCH) that pivots from the correct point, then make the new bone the parent of the old bone.

if you want to make a "look at"/"track to" control for an eyeball, but the pupil is off-center compared to where the eye bone is ponting, make a new mechanism bone that is in the visual axis of the pupil, pointing at the "look at" target, then use a copy rotation constraint on the actual eye bone that copies the local rotation of the mch bone.

if your tracking target would be in an awkward place compared to where you want to place your control bones, just make a mechanism bone that acts as the tracking target, then make a separate control bone where you want to place the controls. make the control bone the parent of the mechanism bone.

MECHANISM BONES!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Wheany posted:

speaking of rigging:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

holy

https://x.com/cmzw_/status/1748286133438681373?s=46&t=L9W5VGBvltc-Vd8y0AJq4w

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

that's neat and all, but i don't really see a practical purpose for that. besides "making art." maybe matching the vibe or colors of another image

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Wheany posted:

that's neat and all, but i don't really see a practical purpose for that. besides "making art." maybe matching the vibe or colors of another image

couple things off the top of my head: use it on your fire sim material using a reference photo; use it with a material on a geometry nodes setup where you’re using index-based material coloring; making a procedural wood material

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

it's for ripping off echi's rodtronics color palette

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

akadajet posted:

it's for ripping off echi's rodtronics color palette

:ssh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
wood turning, hey!

i know that the screw modifier exists, but you can replace that float curve with any mathematical formula, like a polynomial. and defining a separate profile for every 90-degree turn and interpolating between them with dot product shouldn't be too difficult

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
different profile for every 90 degrees using dot product:

and the resulting lump:
https://i.imgur.com/df2m0UQ.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

looks kinda like youre drawing loft curves in the float curve editor

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I should call her.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anatomi posted:

I should call her.

lol

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
meditating on

and

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
that pink one to two edge flow (or two to one if you come from the bottom) in the second image kind of feels like you're throwing the second loop somewhere to the left and making it a future you problem.

all the other flows redirect "extra" faces back the way they came from, but that is just a hard swerve

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

is there any fast or automatic way to clean up a huge CAD model and optimise it for fast rendering?

i got a 400MB STEP file from autocad that has every single screw, gasket and o-ring for a lawnmower-like product.

i need to get this 3D model to a usdc file that i will then use with apple SceneKit and it should render at 90fps

i've started cleaning it up myself by just hiding the outer shell and deleting things one by one, but there's still a shitload of geometry and the usdc file weighs in around 500mb

i guess i would need something that could easily delete anything that's hidden inside other things, and maybe some boolean operations to fuse complex geometry into something simpler

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
decimate maybe??

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

when ive done it before ive used a similar combo of manual deletion plus decimate

it also helps if you can open it up in fusion360 or something first and delete or only export the outside parts in the first place

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Could try something like Simplygon that can build a shell of the geometry without any of the models inside it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve used decimate many many times. I use it on high poly models to get a low poly vibe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
re rendered this at a higher res for no good reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I accidentally tried to render an image at 38,400 x 21,600 and finally something that tried to use up all my ram

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also a pro tip

under performance instead of leaving threads at auto, I normally choose manual and use a couple less threads than I have cores, and also in task manager under details I change the priority to low

this does a pretty good job of letting blender run rendering without impacting the normal usage of the pc

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I accidentally tried to render an image at 38,400 x 21,600 and finally something that tried to use up all my ram

lol hell yeah

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i was watching videos about opensubdiv and kind of accidentally stumbled upon an answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while, which is "how complex is the geometry on cinematic 3d models" and the answer is: surprisingly low. for pixar at least the secret sauce is (adaptive) subdivision.

these are screenshots of a character in monsters university
unsubdivided

subdivided. 1 level i think. for the actual render they subdivide it more

these are all unsubdivided

this screenshot of one of her legs is like playstation level detail

the videos i grabbed these from are these 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZazwvYc5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnFSVx7NhmM

i think it's pretty funny in the first video when a part of the cupola has a hexagonal base mesh and it has rivets or something that are supposed to go along the perimeter, and the rivets aren't even visible until the mesh gets subdivided because they are inside the base mesh

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I used 3ds max all through high school and it's been long enough to unlearn that bs.

Booted up blender last night and holy moley this is a fine piece of foss

Was able to get a little Godot workflow going too. Felt good like riding a bike. Until I get to unwrapping, ewww

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
blender is proof that software can be good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

blender is proof that software can be good

👆

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

doing a lot of messing about with bools rn and i do not look forward to having to retopo this bad boy

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

God drat shrink wrap is a good modifier

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
woah I'm rendering a 4k animation and when I output I always output the composited png ready to animation, but also export the raw render as an exr, so that I could fix the post processing if I needed to

and each frame is like 90mb for 4k exr

checked to see how big the folder for my half minute animation was and it was close to 40gb

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Experimenting with a render farm for my animation and got the test renders for a good 1080p with just enough denoising to not make it cost a bomb and I'm so hype for how well these turned out

The bad news is that it's still gonna run me about $500 for the full animation, which.. uh... :stonklol: is a little more than I wanted to spend. For something I've worked on from three years basically from scratch with only a few tiny little projects beforehand, though, I'll probably budget for it and make it work. Somehow. Project is too large for Sheepit and I'm not entirely sure I could condense it down to 750mb with all the assets packed, and while I can render some of it on my rig it takes about 10min per frame with uh 15000 frames in the project entirely. Still, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right. Lookit the car!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If my memory of RENT is correct, 150,000 minutes is just about a quarter of a year. Go for it!