Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hideaki anno's studio is switching over to blender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm teaching myself to sculpt. Blender ain't bad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

If you need a hosed up nose and mouth I got you covered

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

This doesn't seem too hard really

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m actually getting into sculpting for real (Apple Pencil is roughly 100000000x better than a mouse). have not imported to blender yet but I’m planning to

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I've been using blender. it's pretty good

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I used geometry nodes for the first time to make these light arrays, handy stuff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m trying to make a space shuttle and I feel so far out of my depth making something that isn’t cylindrical

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I just don’t know how to do good topology??? or whatever idk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m self taught :smug:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ooh those are some good leads thanks wheany :tipshat:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

if I need a donut I will simply go to the nice family run donut shop down the road

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's time to make a space shuttle (buran)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok those looptools are pretty handy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I finished it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah im giving all the spacecraft I make different names. buran and passat are both types of wind

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I spent a good chunk last light trying to improve the topology on my space shuttle but I think i only made it worse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hey blenderers, maybe this is a total noob question but I’m having trouble finding an answer that works with the current version of blender. (also it sucks that searching for blender stuff often digs up stackexchange posts from 10 years ago that aren’t relevant)

so I’m learning how to clean up topology and straighten up vertices using eg. constrained scaling and the looptools plugin. that’s fine if I want to do a straight line but what I really want to be able to do is draw a nice smooth bezier curve and snap vertices to it. idk if that’s something people do, or if there’s a better way to align verts on a curve. what am I missing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I guess maybe I’m describing it wrong. but also, I’m not exactly memory constrained but I am going for a low poly aesthetic.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah I’ll try to explain better later, was sorta just thinking about it and wondering if anyone knew what I was talkin about

I think I sorta answered my own question though, I’lol try it out later but, I’m guessing ppl work with a low geometry model & let subdivide do the work making smooth curves. but also I was trying to snap to a Bézier curve but it wouldn’t work, but I think it was because I hadn’t joined the objects. I will try that

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ohhhhhhhhh because it needs vertices to snap to and a curve doesn’t have any until it’s converted

that’s why it didn’t work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah so as far as I can tell, you do have to convert the curves to meshes to be able to snap to them, but it's a really good build aid. it's not perfect but these curves look so much better.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

yeah... I really should learn nodes

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hwoof I spent a while playing around with vertex/edge snapping and I figured out a way to do what I was going for. I'm making nice smooth convex geometry now :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

oh oops oh jeez I saved over my file with all the modifiers still split, good thing this is low poly so it won't be hard to fix!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

echinopsis posted:

auto saves??

too old!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it's ok I can just cut it in half and mirror everything again