Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
https://imgur.com/nWNLBLF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
The freestyle lines stuff just got really relevant to yospos.

(I set base color on the model to black and set specular to 0 to hide it against the black world background)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGVmZJVKECQ

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sagebrush posted:

like this or something idk. probably want a sparser mesh

Maybe just add a light decimate mod and see what happens?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1337995481150996480?s=21

eh trying to make something look actually real and organic is hard when you also don’t like putting real effort in

Maybe add a bunch of geometry and a voronoi displace on the text to make it look pitted?

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 13, 2020

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Merry Christmas!

(God my lighting sucks.)

EDIT: May as well post the tutorials I used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0JyyWeptSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8FawSveMYQ

EDIT: Made the pupil specular 0 by plugging the blue channel into a constant color ramp:

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 26, 2020

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Doc Block posted:

how is doing the exact opposite of every UI convention ever re: left clicking to select make blender have a good UI?

the 3D cursor is stupid

1. You can switch it in options if you don't like it.
2. You can place the 3d cursor exactly where you want it using the view panel in the properties tab. Then use it as the origin point for transforms. This is a really flexible and cool feature.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Very nice detail on the back there. What did the UV map end up looking like? Or did you use object for the vector?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

just as a curiosity, I did most of this in blender

https://giant.gfycat.com/BareEqualAmericanrobin.webm

I super like that foreground wear. How'd you do that? I might just be tired but I'm not seeing it in the gif.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Neon Noodle posted:

I'm working on this realtime puppet control workflow that uses a custom iPad control surface via TouchOSC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ64dpYuFHE

notbad.jpg

I was thinking the other day if someone could make cg muppets like worthikids did stopmotion.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Mixed in some ambient occlusion to the edge wear technique in this tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LAijtVwyQ

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Friend posted:

Not blender, but this video was pretty fascinating to me in the same way that y'alls node wizardry is. TLDW is that the liquid in all the glass bottles in Half Life Alyx were done entirely with shaders. No mesh (other than the bottle itself), just a bunch of math. They start getting into it at around 2:30 and start explaining more details around 4:30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XWxsJKpYYI

Cool as hell.

Edit: Actually I wonder if I could pull some shader wizardry to make better looking neon lights.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 4, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

"Mystery Flesh Pit National Park is delighted to announce our new joint venture with Rodtronics industries."

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

I got bored of my longer term project so i made this

idk i just really like the base color set blender uses for the voronoi

That's pretty sexy.

Trying to recreate that rainbow metal effect I've seen on some things:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

neat bruv

for a more car paint look try using a layer weight node and using the fresnel output to drive a mix shader or mix rgb and fiddle with the value (0.1 gives a stark contrast)

or don’t. lol. just a suggestion for further experimenting if you wanna see something different happen :)

I really got to do a deep dive into shader logic tutorials.
I wonder if I could program an entire game in Unreal Engine 4 using shaders?
Like, the scene is just a camera pointing at a plane, and all the graphics are just made with shader logic.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Uh, okay, uh, great! Just means I don't have to do it!
(I got a lonnnng way to go learning all this stuff yet.)

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

are you interested in ue4?

I should crank it back up again. im just gutted I need an rtx to turn on path tracing mode. you cant force it

Yeah, I've been trying to understand the blueprint architecture and programming in general. Played around with python a bit, too.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pollyanna posted:

i have decided to learn me a little blender

i need to render a 64x64 PNG of a glossy sphere for use as a sprite in my game, one for six different colors, with transparency

i have learned to delete the default cube and replace it with a UV mesh, and that's it

i have no idea what i'm doing :v:

edit: i have given up

Literally every one of us were at this stage. Keep going.

Was messing around with vector displacement today. Fed a magic texture node into it, refined it a while so it wasn't clipping, got something that looked distinctly aquatic.
Put a volumetric cube around it, added a particle system for some plankton or whatever, and ended up with this:

And the nodes:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pollyanna posted:

I FUCKEN DID IT

:slick::slick::slick::slick::slick::slick::slick:

There ya go. Now if you into the material properties on the right side of the screen (the read ball) you can turn the roughness down on the principled BSDF and put a real shine on those. Can also be done from the shader editer.
The principled BSDF shader is a lot less intimidating when you realize how much of it you never need to touch. Metallic is always either 0 or 1, specular is always at .5 unless you want to turn it off completely to make a flat color effect.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 10, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Pollyanna posted:

was actually using glossy bsdf for that. tried changing the roughness on it but unfortunately i haven't figured out the right lighting to make that look good:

i think it's something about three point lighting or whatever. was trying to get a similar glossiness + lighting to the pegs here:

but that requires a bit of thinking that saturday is not equipped for

maybe i should be using the principled one after all????

Principled BSDF incorporates a bunch of little subtle and scientific stuff, like fresnel.
Big ol' video all about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5W6C_Mbck

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

the reason you want to use the principles is because it can achieve what all the other shaders do in one, and so you can plug and play textures into the inputs which could represent metallic or not etc. the workflow is called PBR and the rest of the basic shaders are basically obsolete

pollyanna, what you probably want is to go to hdri haven and download a studio hdri and then look
up how to plug the hdri into the environment and ditch the lights altogether

(changing the transparent toggle in the film section or the render tab will make background transparent or not)

those buttons will be a diffuse shader (which you can do with the principled) coz they’re plastic with a roughness about .1 to .2 is my
guess

in the principled shader just change the colour and roughness and everything else should stay the same

glossy shader is essentially cranking the metallic to 1

That reminds me, HDRIs are one my "Stuff I need to mess with" list.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

they’re quite good,

but so is the nikita sun texture, as far as a highly controllable sun/sky simulator

I don’t always find hdri give me the contrast I desire

It would be super sweet if the nikita had night settings, too. Like, moon and stars with settings for light pollution.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Uhh, I was messing with trying to add clouds and I accidentally made this:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Started with a torus. Enabled x-ray (button in the top right of the screen) selected the bottom half, deleted it. Deleted 3/4 of it. Extruded (E key) the bottom to the the desired depth. Extruded a single vertex from the bottom ring. Pressed N key to go into properties and set the x and y to zero. (you can drag the mouse down multiple fields to change them at once.) Selected two of the vertices in the ring and the center one and pressed F to create a face. Repeated that for the entire bottom ring.
Going back up to the torus, I extruded the outer edge a ways. In the top middle of the screen, there's the option to change the transform pivot point. I selected the option for active element. (Which is shown in white, usually the last thing you selected.)
Then, selecting the outer most vertex, as well as the ones along half the outer ring, I hit S (Scale) Y (Scale along the Y axis. Also works for the X and Z axis. Holding shift + axis would select the other two axis) and then 0. Then repeated that for the other half of the vertices on the X axis. This is how I got that square. Then I selected the ring at the edge of the torus, and the ring at the bottom, and hit ctrl+B and added a teeny tiny bevel.(This ups the realism a bit and helps keep shaders from getting wonky.) Went into object data properties on the right side, normals, and turned on auto smoothing, with a setting of 36. I hit tab to go back into object mod. Then I went into modifiers on the right, then added a mirror modifier, selecting the options for X and Y. Then I added an array modifier with a set count of four,(This might be optional in your use case) and hey presto!

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 11, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
It looks fine, there's no reason to be insecure. We're all learning. I'd be really surprised if there's any one human who understands every single aspect of this massive software suite.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
So I was thinking about that holey mask that other guy posted today, and wondered what would happen if I invited some curve modifiers to my party.
I ended up making an octopus tire!

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Okay now it's getting interesting:

Just gotta clean up that shading somehow. Might need to add some more geometry.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Doc Block posted:

in my post i explain exactly how to fix that. you use a data transfer modifier to copy the normals from a hidden copy of your object that doesn’t have any holes in it

edit: you don’t need to add more geometry, that’s not the problem. the problem is all the ngons that get created.

Uh, there isn't a version of the object without holes. There are no ngons. It's literally just this 16 face mesh run through a bunch of modifiers:

Instead of modeling something and then punching holes in it, I modeled the holes first.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 13, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

It is very important that you model a fried chicken drumstick for this to pour over.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

toiletbrush posted:

man thats beautiful

ive not touched 3d modelling since I was a teenager screwing around with Infini-D, but this thread is so insanely inspiring. So I've downloaded Blender and I'm trying to model a nut...

I tried doing it as a cylinder sculpted into the right sort of dome-y shape, and then tried to use the Boolean modifier with a hexagonal cylinder to cut the edges off. The shape is about right, but you can see all sorts of grot and weirdness around the edges. Is there a better way to create this sort of thing?

In your properties window, (lower right side by default) select the object data properties tab (the green triangle) and expand the normals section. Enable auto smooth.
That might be enough for this use case. If it isn't, you could try some manual mesh editing. SAVE A COPY, then apply the booleans. The boolean modifier will create a garbage ngon.
If you want to see true horror, go into face mode and hit ctrl t to triangulate the hellface. It will look something like this:

This will not do. :stare: Delete this face immediately and begin the zen like task of manual polygon creation. Select two vertices on either side of the cutaway, and press f to create an edge.
Then go into edge mode and right click>subdivide to create an edge with an a vertex in the exact center. You can then select three or four vertices and hit f to create a face.
End result should look more like:

Since your mesh appears to have 6 identical sides, you could save some time by using a screw modifier to duplicate the manually edited side every 60 degrees on the radius.
Fun fact, you can type math expressions into blenders dialog boxes, so you can get angles by typing in 360/6 or 360/8 or whatever.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Doc Block posted:

haven’t been super thrilled with the way my space helmet is turning out, so I put it on pause and made this... gizmo instead

I somehow scrolled right past this. Really nice hard modeling there. If I had to guess what it is, maybe a landmine? It would work well as a model for a videogame explosive of some type.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Hell yeah.

EDIT: Actually that text really needs to be green. The YOSPOS theme is based off old CRTs that could only display green. Should still read fine.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 17, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Maybe try turning down your light path bounces?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

huh what’s this for?

I dunno, just a shot in the dark. I still don't know that much about all of this.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

echinopsis posted:

what I meant was, what was that suggestion for? for whom and for what problem?

Doc Block's anomalous "ring light" on his landmine gizmo thing.

Doc Block posted:

I didn't want to make people download the full 22MB GIF. Also, if it doesn't work in Chrome it's probably because of Google's dumb WebM bullshit. I use Safari on macOS and It Just Works :xd:

edit: let's see if this works:

https://i.imgur.com/rd7CHjp.gifv

edit 2: lol it inlines the video on Chrome too if you link to the .gifv instead of posting it as img tags, what a well-made website

There's kind of an overhang there, and I'm thinking maybe the rays are bouncing around in there and creating that weird light effect. Maybe turning down the light path bounces could fix it.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Basically perfect.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Hey, whatever happened to Everdraed? Wonder if we could get him on the blender train...

Doc Block posted:

First time animating anything with bones. Tentacle? Cucumber from Hell? You decide.

https://i.imgur.com/Fxl05O4.gifv

That a cell fracture you're using on poor Suzzane there, or some other method?

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 23, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
When you're having an existential crisis in a detective comic.

One of my ideas is to use a shader and transparency to make it look like there are three dimensional holes modeled into an object.
I'd need to have the position of transparency hole vary according to the position of the camera. Then the fake depth that would simulate the thickness of the material, which would also be subject to the lighting in the scene.
If anyone has advice I'd appreciate it.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 25, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

How'd he do those filled in curvy bits at 0:30? That part came out looking really nice. Also that statue bit might be of interest to the guy who was doing meshroom stuff.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Made some progress on my pulp comic shader:

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here