Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Friend posted:

Anyone ever do any photogrammetry? I kinda got into it when I got my new Samsung phone, it has a TOF sensor that does some basic 3D scanning. That led me to downloading Meshroom and having fun with that. Most of it turns out garbage, but it's still pretty neat.

https://i.imgur.com/mdTeiEa.mp4
My brother was really into photogrammetry last year, and went around photogrammetising tons of stuff like rooms at his work and people and food and stuff. He used some fairly expensive software, but it did an amazing job. Then when he was on holiday he used it with his drone to shoot footage of neat places he visited (like this place) and then imported the models into Unreal so he could run around and show everyone his holiday in VR.

I wonder if you could use that software on footage from films and TV to build 3d models of locations they were filmed at? You'd need lots of shots, or the camera to be moving around a decent amount, but would be insanely cool if it was possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I wonder if it’s efficient at all to take a video, moving very slowly, and extract the frames
thats how my bro did it. You don't have to move slowly either, just make sure its bright enough to not get motion blur. Reflective, super glossy or transparent stuff gives software trouble too, but that can give you fun glitches and stuff.

as for what to scan go and find an old building and do some urbex!

oops lol thought you were still taking about photogrammetry

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
man thats beautiful

ive not touched 3d modelling since I was a teenager screwing around with Infini-D, but this thread is so insanely inspiring. So I've downloaded Blender and I'm trying to model a nut...

I tried doing it as a cylinder sculpted into the right sort of dome-y shape, and then tried to use the Boolean modifier with a hexagonal cylinder to cut the edges off. The shape is about right, but you can see all sorts of grot and weirdness around the edges. Is there a better way to create this sort of thing?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Holy crap, thanks, the auto-smooth normals fixed it perfectly!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Doc Block posted:

when you cut into a smooth, rounded surface like that, you wind up with small, weirdly shaped faces. glad that auto-smooth normals helped (you should always turn it on for hard surface models) but a lot of the time it isn't enough, like Bluemillion said, so you wind up having to go in and manually add/move/dissolve vertices and edges. especially if you add a bevel.
yeah tbh I would have been amazed if it came out perfectly and was expecting a bit of weirdness. Auto-smooth doesn't quite get rid of it all but its good enough for now.

Another question - if I scale say a cube out to a long thin rectangle, and then do e.g a bevel, it does it proportionally so the bevelling looks stretched too. Is there a way to get the bevel to be kinda uniform across the object? I thought fixing the x/y/z scale to be 1/1/1 would fix it but it doesn't :(

also wow shaders are fun, I just made the most luxurious cloth to balance my tutorial donut on

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
No reason why Cycles wouldn't fly on ARM Macs if it got ported to Metal and if GPU performance in AS iMacs/Mac Pros is as much of a leap forward as the M1 was in CPU speed. That's a bunch of ifs though and PC's would probably still be cheaper.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Doc Block posted:

First time animating anything with bones. Tentacle? Cucumber from Hell? You decide.

https://i.imgur.com/Fxl05O4.gifv
I like that one bit of fragment that comes right past the camera

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
those are extremely rad

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I made a chair...

There's plenty wrong with it, like the ridiculous screws, and the cloth texture looks dumb as heck, but I'm pretty chuffed!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
cheers!

Doc Block posted:

Overall it looks nice. Those look like UV mapping problems on the cushions. The screws look ok, even if they're too big.
I've kinda skipped when tutorials talk about UV mapping, I should really learn it. The cloth texture is just two criss-crossed wave shaders as a bump map, I've fixed it to use UV inputs and it looks a ton better.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

no, it's got a bunch of faces on it. this is the rhino autogen quad mesh. is this mesh maybe not suitable for auto-beveling?

doesn't do anything.

it was an fbx before so i re-imported it as an obj and the shading did change but the bevel still don't work.

here is the obj in question, if anyone has any other ideas: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=09833600392115378635
Does bevel work if you delete the end faces, create a new single face from all the end vertices and then do an inset? Alternatively you could do that and then use the subdivide modifier and use a loop cut to control the curviness of the end? I'm a total noob, so that might be terrible advice.

I made another chair, the camera angle makes the proportions look a bit funny, but it really is that ugly in real life.

I want to do this one next, but I've got no idea how to do the pinchy back bit

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
is there a way in Blender to use modifiers on groups of objects? I'm trying to create a symmetrical collection of parent-child objects - the 'mirror' modifier almost does it but it only applies the duplication and transform to the parent, not it's children (it also doesn't do rotational symmetry either, which is what I really need)...is there another way to do this?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
bagh, that works perfectly for a regular array, but doesn't seem to work for Mirror - it dupes the whole collection into the right place but they don't get flipped/rotated, even if I set Mirror to flip. Maybe I need to do something with how I parent stuff?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
that looks rad and you did a good job on the character animations, but the lack of easing on the camera moves is a bit jarring, and it seems like everything happens a bit too quickly to get an idea of whats going on...mebe have a couple different shots of the car accelerating to give more context or have part of the jump in slo-mo or something?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
looks like icicles

hope this isn't poisoning your ideas well but can you do one where the letters are a fluid with one viscosity but they interact with a body with a different viscosity?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
thats fkin beautiful

how does ray/path tracing simulate subsurface scattering (or any volume scattering really) ? Is there some sort of pre-processing you can do on a volume and do some sort of analytical thing? Or do you basically just have to sample a whole load of randomly bouncing around rays?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Corla Plankun posted:

when i learned how to use "spin" in 3dsmax in like 1999 when i was taking a technology class in middle school I was so god drat amazed. I couldn't believe everyone wasn't constantly talking about it because it was the most impressive thing I had ever seen at that point
same but Infini-D on Mac. I made so many loving goblets and vases.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Jimmy Carter posted:

new alpha build is now out that can actually use the GPU on macs.

UI is still weirdly unresponsive at times but it's slashed Cycles render times by at least 3x for me
yeah its pretty good improvement on my m1 mini. will be interesting seeing how it goes once they've done the performance tuning

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
that looks really cool! can you 'cheat' with geometry nodes?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
nice! that's basically exactly how I did my Minecraft-style terrain generator for Nodevember, except I didn't think of using metaballs to make it look better.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
this is insanely cool but it's also giving me horrible Aphex/T69 Collapse flashbacks

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

is that a mandelbulb? looks cool op and im curious how you did it. mine only used 1gb of vram but it takes 10 seconds per frame just to calculate the geo nodes

heres my blend file:
https://mega.nz/file/FNBkHQ6Q#Hu8wseq6fsffXI3_r6iw6qv6dJYKo6NwzEZSyX6FfOM

thats how i did it. theres some extremely low hanging fruit for optimization in there, could bump up the density even higher

right now im basically just doing z^2 + c julia sets, with quaternions, where the j and k components are held at 0 to make the search space for interesting fractals easier, then i take a cross section along the xy plane

https://giant.gfycat.com/HandsomeFilthyAltiplanochinchillamouse.mp4
all these Julias are really nice! Is it possible to render them as Principled Volumes and have the density at each point set massive/zero by Julia-setness? I dunno how stepping through the volume works in blender so can imagine it might not work at all or be too fuzzy/glitchy to see detail

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
edit: ^ drat, that's beautiful.

And yeah I noticed that when I tried to do Minecraft in Blender for Nodevember 2021, was really frustrating.

...also do strange attractors next!

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i dont even know what those are. time to read wikipedia
This site is a bit easier to digest than Wikipedia, plus it has a bunch of equations you can use.

They're not as complex as regular fractals, but generating the geometry should be way quicker because every iteration gives you a new point on the surface, and there's loads of potential for animations.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

distortion park posted:

Not an interesting composition or good execution but it's neat that doing the "physical" thing of putting a distorted mesh inside the glass sphere just works and gives a serviceable (if render time expensive) result

e: real marbles are scratched and chipped, gonna try that next
That's really nice!

Has anyone had any joy modelling the swirly textures inside bowling balls?

I tried for ages during Nodevember and basically had no luck, using a swirly-noise distorted sphere with a metallic & pearlescent texture, inside a plastic sphere, but it wasn't quite right. It's almost like you want a principled volume but rather than diffusing or scattering it's sort of metallic :confused:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
this is cool as heck, but isn't quite right - i want the wispy, cloud-like-ness, but the way it reflects light needs to be sort of specular/metallic. its like it needs to simulate a cloud of billions of little metallic spheres rather than just a volume which diffusely scatters light, which might be beyond what you can do with just a shader

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
you've got way less of those 'only possible with CGI' swooping camera movements in that vid, and it looks soooo much better for it!

Your modelling and animation has been solid for ages, but your 'direction' I guess you could call it, camera work and editing and whatnot, has really come on loads the last few vids.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

its coming along. gotta figure out how to make it not so flickery and jittery in animations. imo.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/734779371549753364/1120582612545708063/0001-0048.mp4
thats really neat...if it's hard to stop it being flickery/jittery can you make the strokes 'paint over' the last frame, like those animations done with watercolours/oils etc?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
man I can't wait for Nodevember

I think I'm gonna have to take the whole month off work to do it justice

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
that's cool as hell. how does the rewriting get done? Do you have a script that runs for a given seed and number of iterations and then spits out all the symbols? apologies if you explained and I just didn't get it

L-Systems are loads of fun

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

lol literally replaced all that crap with just this

hell yes

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

any suggestions? i think it looks merely ok so far. all ive been doing is reading wikipedia and a blog about how real film works and trying to estimate how i'd recreate the effects of it in compositor nodes
its more a lens effect but chromatic aberration can be a neat effect to add. One way is to just offset each channel horizontally by a small amount, or just apply that effect to the bloom. But you can do it more realistically by applying a zoom-blur but give each channel a different amount of zoom. I dunno if Blender's compositor does zoom blur, but if it doesn't, you can recreate it with rectangular-to-polar -> horizontal blur -> polar-to-rectangular (assuming Blender has them).

It can also look neat to rotate-180 -> threshold -> blur -> additive the image too (possibly multiple times!) for lens-flare type effects

You can also simulate TV crappiness using a horizontal blur that has some 'resonance' but I'm not sure how you'd do that in Blender.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

coolest thing is you can literally just feed in a mesh and the algorithm fills up the available space

thats rad, does it work in 3d?

I want to figure out enough simulation nodes knowledge to do diffusion limited aggregation now

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Wheany posted:

I watched a video presentation about minecraft world generation and it's basically 5 noise maps with some curves to shape the noise and i thought that it should be doable with geo nodes
I got these working for nodevember '21

was just regular noise, but with a high-based threshold gradient so you got hills/mountains rather than holey cheese (not that there's anything wrong with holey cheese)

the voxels are low res because generation was super slow, but with all the new volume stuff it should be way simpler and faster

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 23, 2023

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

works w/ grass good too

whoa

is each plant unique?

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

had a new idea. i know from previous experience with strange attractors that certain points do not get attracted, they just shoot off to infinity. what if i create a bigass volume of points, run a lorenz attractor for a while, and then delete the points that are further away than some set distance from 0,0,0 after like, 500 steps of simulation through the attractor equations

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6e1008c13a79be&

kinda looks like a spaceship
this is way prettier and more interesting than the OG lorenz

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

have you ever seen that before? i searched around and tried finding similar stuff but didn’t. it was just an idea that popped into my head at lunchtime
Not for strange attractors, no, but I've done similar stuff for mandelbrots and other fractals, funnily enough. There's loads of fun stuff you can do besides colour = iterations/escape time, like buddhabrots or using the path iterations take to distort images.

quote:

it’s basically the mandelbrot set process but with the lorenz equations i guess
Can you use this method to distort a mesh? As in, the input points are the points from the monkey mesh, and then step the Lorenz to sort of twist the mesh into the shape of the attractor? With a bit of interpolation that could create a kick rear end animation

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I'm immediately thinking fractal and non-euclidian geometry