Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

echinopsis posted:

woah I'm rendering a 4k animation and when I output I always output the composited png ready to animation, but also export the raw render as an exr, so that I could fix the post processing if I needed to

and each frame is like 90mb for 4k exr

checked to see how big the folder for my half minute animation was and it was close to 40gb

these are 2 recent projects... the one on the left is 35 seconds total, the one on the right, the final animation was 65 seconds long lol
90% of this is just fully stacked exrs and they're all 1080p, not even 4k, I only upscale to 4k once after the edit is exported. animation is a bitch.

i hope it was ok to post this.... i didnt use blender :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That quote says it's multi threaded, you just can't distribute it over multiple cpu's/machines, which is true for PHX & Houdini too.
Turn off hyper threading, fluid simulations hate fake cores.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

fart simpson posted:

idk about cycles i guess, but most render engines are the exact opposite of this. ppl bake their geometry down to single images with transparency so they can render it faster, its how stuff like speed tree works and how unreal engine can get real time foliage.

That's not true, it's only the case for game engines and real time rasterisation. Every single ray tracing based renderer (vray, corona, cycles etc) is significantly faster at raw geometry over opacity maps. Most have internal tweaks to automatically clip opacity maps to only white/black to speed it up a ton. There's a lot of research papers about solving this, when I first started in the industry they needed to be avoided at all costs.