Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

I refuse to give Ubisoft a pass in the good software thread. Uplay is a God drat abomination. I was forced to make an account to play a game on steam and I got an email not 5 days later saying they had a data breach and I should change my passwords.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

The only good software I've ever used is Mysql, foobar2k, and vim.

this but the opposite

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wow

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ive never done stuff like this before but i tried to follow that lazy tutorial about moths. cant get them to follow the light?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MenacingPoshCamel-mobile.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

do you have to use physics stuff or is it scripting?

its physics stuff and it works in the 3d viewport but when i render it no longer works?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Zlodo posted:

maybe you have to bake it for it to work in render? would make sense bc otherwise you'd be forced to always render all the frames in order from the beginning

i didnt know what that meant but it gave me the right things to google and you were right

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HandsomeDimwittedGrunion-mobile.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just spent like an hour at work doing this instead of working

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

which ones better

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

amberpos is objectively correct

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ya i think so too after looking at it again

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this new ian hubert tutorial is fully sick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY8Ol2n4o4A

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i started to and then got sidetracked

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

no blender

*taps thread title*

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dustin off blender to recreate my balcony, but not in the city anymore. ran out of time so the table only has half its legs and i havent dont any detail work

this was my reference image of my actual balcony

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2020

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pram posted:

why the gently caress would you use your cpu for blender lol

what else are you gonna use your cpu for

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

those gigantic threadrippers render stuff faster than most graphics cards

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Glorgnole posted:

#define PI 3

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

heartwarming that you ask tho. ex wife really treated rodtronics like a total waste of my life and time and embracing something creative even if simply for the sake of it has taken a bit of work. current gf been great for that. and starting to see organic growth on my instagram which is also quite interesting. I like to think rodtronics is more unique than say truly skill laden, there are many render people out there making amazing poo poo. a lot churn out loads of similar things, but I do hope that by kinda operating a little bit outsider art style, at the very least rodtronics is more unique that is normal. I hope. not good at trumpeting what I do perceive as my own good parts.

yeah man I hear ya. and thanks, it means a lot. really. everyone’s positive comments do.

sounds like you should divorce your ex wife, really...

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i made the chair

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

idk what im doing but im trying out that glare compositing trick echi posted upthread

https://i.imgur.com/e2SineT.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i made a table to go with the chair

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wasted a bunch of time on the details under the table top, where the legs connect. you can’t see it at all lol.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Friend posted:

I really like that dark wood.

I made the Mogensen 6284. The only blueprints I could find were pretty low quality so mine is noticeably beefier than the real one but my biggest gripe is the bolt that looks like a sticker.

it's "wood 049" on cc0 textures and the table i copied was the taro table 6101 https://www.fredericia.com/products/by-designer-jasper-morrison/taro-model-6101-1.aspx?PID=63&catid=8827

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im having fun with vector displacement and various textures thanks to nodevember. this one's a sphere with a noise & musgrave texture added in

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

kinda looks like weird teeth are growing out of some tar i guess?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

I re did this with a capital letter and less roughness on the bluriness. anistropy is good poo poo my friends

https://giant.gfycat.com/WebbedSeveralDipper.webm

that owns

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i did more displacement stuff. doesnt look quite right but im not sure how to achieve my ~vision~

https://i.imgur.com/ugnQXXn.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol nice

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

that’s fully sick op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Schadenboner posted:

Is the pressure gage a touch-sensitive rheostat? That would be p.cool.

it’s just a computer render, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i got frustrated with my crappy computers and signed up for that sheep it render farm thing. left my computer on while i was at work for one day and racked up like 40,000 points and then spent ~5 minutes making a simple scene with volumetrics in cycles because that always slows my computer down a lot. took me like 7 minutes to render out one frame and then i sent the rest of them off to the render farm to see how it worked. took about 2 hours to get the video back and used 1,908 render points. would have taken me about 6 hours to render on my own computer but really most of the project was rendered real quick and then i was waiting for 2 frames from guys that had like 10 year old celeron cpus taking literal hours

anyway seems pretty cool i might use this a bit more to render animations at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No9BP5dC6pM

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

mental

never heard of it. spose I could probably earn a few points when i havent got some mental thing simulating

yeah i stumbled across it last week and it seems pretty good. i'm thinking of it kinda like a bank where i can deposit some render time if i feel like wasting some electricity but dont have anything specific to render, and later when i have a good idea i can cash it in to get something back in a reasonable amount of time

its here btw: https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com/index.php

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

i'm a fan of the juicer personally

and i assume the chinese characters mean something relevant too

it says “tangerine” so it’s his name in chinese characters. very authentic imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

https://i.imgur.com/KmCKaq5.mp4

im kinda pleased with how this is turning out, and I want to put some real time into it which I dont normally do. the textures really make the painted metal believable and it was a stroke of genius to make it look like folded sheet metal because I am super stoked with how it turned out.

basically started experimenting with hard surface modelling and using boxcutter and hardops. boxcutter fuckin owns. still getting the hang of it though, for most of what I ever do the order of which I do it desnt matter but this kinda relies on having an idea of what youre doing at the start.

learning time lol

also I am using a studio HDRI and I reckon its absolutely that that kind of makes it look like an older photograph.

im really half obsessed with being able to replicate the film look but I really dont know enough and feel like theres a plugin that doesnt exist but should and im not brainy enough to make it

looks real good op. if i could offer a suggestion it'd be to make the knobs a bit less perfect, the knobfeel is too good to be true

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im doing procedural straight knurling with vector displacement. highly recommended.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is literally how real knurling is machined at the knob factory

https://i.imgur.com/Ac2Tb1F.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Friend posted:

Neat. Mind sharing the rest of the nodes? My experience with vector displacement has turned out to be less knob factory and more blob factory.

well i didnt bother saving the blend file but its basically like this:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so basically, im starting with object coordinates because they put the center of the object at 0,0 instead of in one of the corners. what you also want to do is subtract the original object coordinates from your modifications before applying the displacement, or else everything is just gonna get added on top of the original object and make it huge.

if you know anything about polar coordinates, then you know that the angle from the center point of a circle is atan2(y, x) which for ease of use in blender i map to 0 to 1 instead of -pi to pi that atan2 spits out. since i dont want to displace along the z axis, im just looking for this particular angle and it gives me this:

then i draw the shape of the cutout i want in the rgb curves. i basically want it to push toward the center point in the middle of the 0, 1 range:

it doesnt really look good yet because what you really want is to repeat that pattern over and over around the edge. there's a math trick where you multiply your scaling factor and then take the fraction part of it basically a modulo operator i guess?

finally what i wanted to do was multiply by x and y while holding z to be the same, so that way the x and y get pushed inward in the shape of the curve i drew out

does that make sense?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nodevember awaked something in me