Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

actually, ffmpeg is the best open source software ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

a donut is literally impossible to model. why do you think avatar didn't have donuts?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

fart simpson posted:

ive never done stuff like this before but i tried to follow that lazy tutorial about moths. cant get them to follow the light?
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MenacingPoshCamel-mobile.mp4

it's because you didn't put a satellite.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

wow man that's great, that means a lot thankyou :) a positive review on etsy would mean a lot if you can be bothered... :O

but again thankyou. belieb it or not, having success on this front is actually sustaining my will to live, in the sense that trying to build some kind of ecosystem for the brand is a project that actually has a (minor) future, rather than being dead end. it gives a reason to create cool renders (well its an excuse anyway). it actually loans an aspect of a better future for my life, which.. well.. is somewhat vital for me at the moment :)

where can we find this? do you have any black t-shirts?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

https://etsy.me/2wVY9TN

straight black no (I don’t think?), but it’s not hard for me to create a different combo if you see something you like but would prefer different something please just ask.

got the bendy rainbow one, can't wait to receive it!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

just got my bendy rainbow rodtronics T-shirt and i can honestly say it's the best quality shirt I've ever ordered online.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

mate, can I either steal that or you leave that as a review on the store??

i will leave a review on the store for sure!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

just found a procedural texture node that takes angle as radians instead of degrees like every other field in this loving program wtffff

multiply by 3.14/180

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

god drat sagebrush that was a quality post

though isn't it becoming the trend in car design now to have "pinches" where there is no continuity at all?

regardless, i now know what to do for my next designs. g2 continuity hell yeah

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

maxe posted:

doing some experiments for a big challenge

the bottles are identical except for the colour of the liquid. Does anyone know why I cant see the label on the rear bottle through the glass of the front? or what setting needs to be cranked up for that to happen?

im trying to recreate a photo i took that has rows and rows of such bottles

have you looked at the refraction coefficient of whisky? maybe that photo you saw used fake whisky which is why you might have been able to see the label, but don't in your tender

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Hell yeah curvature talk give me more of that poo poo, it's fascinating

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

it’s not so easy to create a good sense of scale using that generated landscape stuff

discovered a trick where in the compositor you put a normalize node into the z pass output (which you have to turn on) and then feed that into a colour ramp and use it to mix between the original image and a mist colour, basically a mist effect, to at least give a sense like things further away are misty and far away

it’s why a lot of cg artists put small people in the image to create that sense of scale but I didn’t want to do what everyone else does so I did something worse instead

the GTA games use that atmospheric haze trick really well. the mountains in GTA 5 are ridiculously small (takes less than 10 minutes to go all the way up by foot) but from afar they look huge.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Elukka posted:

Oh yeah I was just thinking whatever kind of render but moving.

https://i.imgur.com/neRBzJR.mp4

Spot all the denoising artifacts.

this really looks awesome though in space things are usually lit up with a single source of light with absolutely no ambient light. have a look at 2001:a space odyssey for some realistic space lighting. just ultra hard shadows and complete blackness.

guess you can add some spaceship lights if you want your model to be visible in the darker areas as well.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

maybe there's a planet right below it filling in the underside . you don't know

well then dust off your copy of Bryce 3D and show it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

is there any fast or automatic way to clean up a huge CAD model and optimise it for fast rendering?

i got a 400MB STEP file from autocad that has every single screw, gasket and o-ring for a lawnmower-like product.

i need to get this 3D model to a usdc file that i will then use with apple SceneKit and it should render at 90fps

i've started cleaning it up myself by just hiding the outer shell and deleting things one by one, but there's still a shitload of geometry and the usdc file weighs in around 500mb

i guess i would need something that could easily delete anything that's hidden inside other things, and maybe some boolean operations to fuse complex geometry into something simpler