Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Mookie assumes the audience is brain-dead and needs things to be stated directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

Mookie assumes the audience is brain-dead and needs things to be stated directly

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I'm just gonna take a little nap

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mookie probably thought the Jacob reveal was a huge mic drop even though he's the only necro we've ever met in Legacy besides Arudak.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

Trapezium Dave posted:

There might be some shock from the feeling that a page or two is missing due to there being absolutely no transition from the previous page to this one. It reads like Jacob was just waiting there off panel.

The whole "sensitive soul" with a "big heart" is just a cliche served up on automatic too. The sort of person who would sign up for the job of Spirit Shepherd, counsellor to the dead is probably going to be someone with a bunch of empathy. It's like making a big deal about a veterinarian with a love for animals.

Given how "curious" and "kind" and blah-de-blah Snout was, I fully expect her to be stealing candies from babies and kicking heads off puppies before the allotted 24 pages are up.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
I'm betting a good chunk of the remaining story is going to be a lore dump of how necromancy is so much softer and kinder these days. If it was a series of vignettes about helping different ghosts pass on at least that would be something, but Mookie can't help but be drawn to Tell over Show.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
While I don't think 'magic was forcibly gentled' is a bad plot point - it could work in the hands of a more competent author, Mookie parading around the 'softer and kinder' thing is weird.

Like, no one has a choice. Magic won't work if you aren't kind. Necromancers aren't choosing to be good or do good (and so them being gentler or kinder is meaningless), there's literally no other option - especially since it's implied that if you don't live by magic's moral code, it can turn on you.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"All right thanks Saritha now I've got to help some deaf idiot go to sleep to see my brother in a dream for some reason. The things I have to fuckin' do I swear."

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Like, no one has a choice. Magic won't work if you aren't kind. Necromancers aren't choosing to be good or do good (and so them being gentler or kinder is meaningless), there's literally no other option - especially since it's implied that if you don't live by magic's moral code, it can turn on you.

Magic caring about how kind someone is is an extra weird thing because it's demonstrably false. Redactor had zero problems using any of her magic, and she was an evil racist.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Schubalts posted:

Magic caring about how kind someone is is an extra weird thing because it's demonstrably false. Redactor had zero problems using any of her magic, and she was an evil racist.

That could be some decent social commentary about how 'kind' doesn't automatically mean 'good' in the right hands.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Gentle necro-vines in perpetual danger of spontaneously detonating in the kindliest way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

forcibly gentled

man this phrase has some real bad vibes

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie hadn't come up with the thing about magic only working for nice people who are Lawful Good even if they use it to be mean so long as they're mean to Chaotic Evil people so it's fine that it doesn't make sense since that's only in Rebel

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

A friend once told me about the book The Lies of Locke Lamora, which had a process called gentling that was basically giving something a lobotomy, so you're not alone in getting the bad vibes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I do like the idea of magic being a capricious force that will turn against you if you don't live up to its ideals of niceness and kindness, and those ideals being completely obtuse and impossible to meet. You could do it like a weird fascist dystopia thing where the ruling force is unknowable

Which is not intentionally what Mookie is writing

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Dominic really embodied the early 2000's internet atheist vibe, so it's pretty funny that he ended up creating God.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Robot Style posted:

Dominic really embodied the early 2000's internet atheist vibe, so it's pretty funny that he ended up creating God.

Lol yeah

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Wasn't my intention, I can edit my post if it's upsetting people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lol no, it's fine, but it's very appropriate for mookie's body of work

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It turns out we aren't seeing more of Jacob's tower because it's incredibly boring.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

This is a minor thing, but:

It kind of bothers me that they apparently have commercial air flights but no form of personal magical vehicle.
Did she just walk all the way to the tower in the middle of nowhere?

I don't need Mookie to show exact routes and all the camping gear people carry, but it bugs me how there is nothing in between magical airplane, and walking stick.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

It's absolutely not a minor thing - it's a big part of what makes the world of Legacy seem so artificial. It's like how the cities are just there in a big empty void. Nothing is connected to anywhere else and distance doesn't matter.

They used to have horses back in the early days of Deegan but they all died out when they got too hard to draw.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

I have faith that one day he will learn to draw a dress that isn't weirdly bunched up in the crotch

Any day now...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maybe you should go somewhere that's not in the middle of nowhere

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Mass media exists. Newspapers have been seen in this setting numerous times. Libraries too. If I was some kind of psychopomp and wanted to find out where to start, I'd probably hit up the local library and look through history books or - if they also exist - newspaper records to find out about murders and other tragic deaths since those are obvious, easy, leads.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Why not just try the cemetery

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Just head off to the pub. The last ghost was hanging around for 200 years, it's not like they're getting any deader. Who knows maybe you'll get lucky and meet one on the way.

It's not like Jacob is paying her for this.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I swear there's a moment in every one of Mookie's stories where the protagonist states they're totally clueless while staring into the distance

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Mookie every one of your protags finds themselves in a situation where they don't know what to do, where to go, they just stare at the world around them lost and afraid because they don't know how to function without someone to tell them what to do.

Mookie this is in everything you do lately.

Mookie, are you okay?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was gonna say, he really abuses that exact same beat where his characters act all calm and self-assured...only for the last panel to reveal that they have no idea what they're doing! How wacky! Again and again and again...

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Howard Beale posted:

Why not just try the cemetery

Eh, I can see the reason for that kinda. Presumably spirits linger where they die, not where their corpse is, when there's issues. So I would imagine cemeteries are probably free of spirits, barring the occasional mourner or gravedigger who dies suddenly with unfinished business while in the graveyard.

Like how if you think about it, graveyards are the safest place in a non-magical zombie apocalypse 'cause the zombies aren't going to be able to break through a coffin and up six feet of dirt (they'd also get crushed by the inflow of dirt the moment they broke the coffin) and there's not many humans in the place to attract zombies from outside. Plus all the gravestones and poo poo make it difficult for any zombies that do get in to move around.

But yeah. Certainly another possible option. Or a hospital. Like this isn't a particularly difficult task unless they want to present it as "I have so many options I'm paralyzed by who I should help first!" which is not the angle he's going with.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
All of this sounds like work. How about she just looks around all clueless until the plot falls into her lap?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

rudecyrus posted:

I swear there's a moment in every one of Mookie's stories where the protagonist states they're totally clueless while staring into the distance

This page is literally how the Mookiena story began but with ghosts instead of jazz.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Maybe she should start making a comic, I hear that's something you can be very successful at even with zero idea what you're doing and zero planning.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

HazCat posted:

Maybe she should start making a comic, I hear that's something you can be very successful at even with zero idea what you're doing and zero planning.

i recommended reusing art constantly

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Trapezium Dave posted:

It turns out we aren't seeing more of Jacob's tower because it's incredibly boring.

The expression in the last panel was, after seeing Jacob’s arm, her realizing he was in blackface.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I know Jacob's whole thing is being a spooky zombie now, but... it looks like his sleeve is straight up bloodied. Which feels kinda wrong.

rudecyrus posted:

The man's storytelling has zero subtlety. If a character is privately uncertain or has doubts they will look like they're having an internal breakdown whenever they get a moment to themselves.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Cloacamazing! posted:

All of this sounds like work. How about she just looks around all clueless until the plot falls into her lap?

In a Mookie comic?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Trapezium Dave posted:

They used to have horses back in the early days of Deegan but they all died out when they got too hard to draw.

Once. He drew a horse once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

rudecyrus posted:

He’s just writing what he knows!