Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That lump medley must be poisoned because Spookie's danger-honkers are loving massive in the last panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Just Mookie riding the high of his tee-hee sex joke

OR... she's sensing Pares' death! Nooooo

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Robot Style posted:

drat, Mookie almost threw out his entire story for the next chapter because drawing the cover page was too hard.

I know we've had an awful page since then but I am morbidly fascinated by the concept that there's something "too lazy" for Mookie here

What is it???

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

what

"Wanna hear something funny? I thought you invited me here for mind-blowing lesbian sex! Isn't that hilarious?"

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Girl if you take a vow of poverty you're not going to be able to afford more stones for your collection

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I genuinely cannot tell if Spirit Shepherd Lady here is supposed to be sexually interested in Merrill or if she's just supposed to be supportive of Merrill's desire to also be a Spirit Shepherd.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Oh for gently caress's sake Mookie, literally the one thing you have established about Merrill is that she is the complete opposite of a "people person".

edit: I suppose I am impressed that he still manages to find ways to get me angry with his lovely writing.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Joe Slowboat posted:

I genuinely cannot tell if Spirit Shepherd Lady here is supposed to be sexually interested in Merrill or if she's just supposed to be supportive of Merrill's desire to also be a Spirit Shepherd.

I think it's both? It would've helped if this wasn't their first extended dialogue or there was any sign of chemistry or personality between these two

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

FFFFFFFFFFFFAAARTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

God this is how this story is going to end.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

rudecyrus posted:

I think it's both? It would've helped if this wasn't their first extended dialogue or there was any sign of chemistry or personality between these two

If it's both the series of fakeouts is bizarre but also, you really shouldn't date your way into a vow of poverty! That's not a good idea! You also should probably not be immediately attracted to a woman whose main interaction with you was loudly belittling you in the voice of your abusive father? And finally, the wording of the first panel is what you say to a friend who expresses interest but you're not attracted to, so why would it immediately be reciprocated? Ugh, this sucks, he is continuing to faceplant at the finish line.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Hang on, it takes "years of training and study" to become a Spirit Shepherd? That sounds like effort to me. Are we sure Spookie isn't secretly a bad guy?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

amigolupus posted:

Hang on, it takes "years of training and study" to become a Spirit Shepherd? That sounds like effort to me. Are we sure Spookie isn't secretly a bad guy?

Spookie is a Mookie so she got nepoed into the business.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

How would you figure out from the way Spookie obnoxiously fake orgasms about food that someone would assume you called them over for sex? That first panel is a classic case of characters knowing something because Mookie knows it and so of course his characters know it.

And given the additional queerbaiting is that going to be the whole week's comics' theme?

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
ellipses should be after think, easy stuff

Ha ha, gaybaiting continues! Whatever.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Honestly, I don't know if Spookie's first line is meant in a "I'm flattered, but I think of you as a friend," way or a "I would've let you seduce me," way. I suspect the latter due to the last panel

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
gently caress, I wonder if the next page will start off with "OH MY GOD YES" but for real

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Next page: "Five years later"
Rock Woman: "It's nice that we're both spirit shepherds now."
Spookie: "Yes this is very nice."
Evil Scammer Guy: "I am now sad and alone."
The end!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

amigolupus posted:

Perhaps her years of training and study are done like how Dominic trained and studied (very little and mostly looked at Good Books) and it's okay since it's not as much effort as what the villains go through.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Then they both looked at the camera and they kissed.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
Seriously, did Stone Girl slip some aphrodisiacs into the meal or something? Because Spookie is looking disturbingly aroused during this entire conversation, and I'm not sure I'd look like that when talking about my job, no matter how much I might like it. I glanced over this page before reading any dialogue, and my first thought was "Did he just reverse the 'thought I was talking about sex, but it was actually food' reversal so he could make it about both instead?"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake Mookie, literally the one thing you have established about Merrill is that she is the complete opposite of a "people person".

being supportive means uncritically endorsing whatever decision someone makes. should someone with a history of codependency go into a profession that requires making yourself emotionally vulnerable to complete strangers? yes, absolutely.

also, this is possibly just me, but with the repeated emphasis that merril is the last of her siblings to remain unmarried and her dad making that the primary topic for his abusive tirades i thought the idea was that she was ace and/or aromantic, not that'd she'd find the right person immediately after the ghost telling her she needs a caretaker got banished to the shadow realm

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Mookie's moral code is fascinating.

Scammers are bad people unless they truly believe in their own scam.

Accepting sexual gratification in lieu of money in exchange for a vital life-and-soul saving service is perfectly acceptable.

This life-and-soul saving service expects its practitioners to actively choose poverty and rely on the poor themselves to survive because there's apparently zero interest from any form of government, charity or even a private entity (including the people who are the sole reason this system exists and is necessary in the first place!) in supporting them either financially or with providing them with food/board at spirit shepherd inns/safe houses etc, and the only person dissatisfied with this system is portrayed as the aforementioned 'bad' scammer.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 29, 2024

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That’s Mookie for ya! You don’t even know what the story is going to be. He doesn’t know what the story is going to be! If I just throw enough plot points at the wall, eventually I’ll make a story, right!

We got 2 more pages of faffing about. You should have just ended 3 pages early.

When you’re about to cross the finish line without shooting yourself in the foot, you don’t grab the ref’s starter pistol and take care of it at the end.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Joe Slowboat posted:

You also should probably not be immediately attracted to a woman whose main interaction with you was loudly belittling you in the voice of your abusive father?

when you put it like that it makes perfect sense

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

a cartoon duck posted:

also, this is possibly just me, but with the repeated emphasis that merril is the last of her siblings to remain unmarried and her dad making that the primary topic for his abusive tirades i thought the idea was that she was ace and/or aromantic, not that'd she'd find the right person immediately after the ghost telling her she needs a caretaker got banished to the shadow realm

Agree, this was a completely unnecessary move. Even if they don't date it now feels like "what? nuh huh, she wasn't ace" (and if they do it amounts to a compulsory romantic happy ending). It's somehow even more trite than my earlier call of "she meets a boy who also loves rocks."

Like I don't like being this person, it's extremely not good as a rule to friendly-fire queer shipping in the name of aroace rep, but this one was so set up it's practically invented "aro-baiting."

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 29, 2024

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Cemetry Gator posted:

When you’re about to cross the finish line without shooting yourself in the foot, you don’t grab the ref’s starter pistol and take care of it at the end.

:perfect:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

While shoehorning in hints of a queer romance at the last second is, like, whatever. There's a couple of things that bugs me about it. One is that it's written in the lens of a juvenile softboi where lesbians are used to make 'teehee we had sex' jokes. The other is that the dynamic between Spookie and Stone Lady is almost exactly the same as Dominic and Luna's relationship. Think about it: The Mookie both saved them from an abusive family member, the love interest is emotionally vulnerable but has Cute Flaws (orc teeth for Luna, collecting rocks/falling for scams for Merrill) that the Mookie can graciously accept, and they're also about to uproot their entire life to follow/date the Mookie out of gratitude.

Time is a flat circle, etc etc.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

being supportive means uncritically endorsing whatever decision someone makes. should someone with a history of codependency go into a profession that requires making yourself emotionally vulnerable to complete strangers? yes, absolutely.
And it's okay because she's not doing it for money, she just wants to sleep with her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is so loving bizarre.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I mean, dealing with the ire of your family for not being married is very much also a thing lesbians and sapphic women experience, and in fact can be part and parcel of lesbophobic abuse.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
except Merrill being a lesbian wasn't established before this point and ghost dad's problem with her was "she's stupid and can't do anything without me"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

rudecyrus posted:

except Merrill being a lesbian wasn't established before this point and ghost dad's problem with her was "she's stupid and can't do anything without me"

I was responding to the discussion that her getting in a relationship with a woman was necessarily aro-baiting. She has also not been established as asexual or aromantic, and the setup makes just as much sense for a woman experiencing pressure to be in a heterosexual relationship. It's very much a setup that applies to multiple marginalized sexualities, and it felt a little bit close to talking over the fact this is a very real and present aspect of homophobia in addition being experienced by aspec people.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 30, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Smh you don't trust the guy who wrote Szark to be a gentle and thoughtful hand at writing queer characters?

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Mx. posted:

Smh you don't trust the guy who wrote Szark to be a gentle and thoughtful hand at writing queer characters?

I'm sure he's as good at it as he is at feminism lmao

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Merrill is all too believable which makes Saritha who is essentially a funeral director making a pass at the bereaved even more dire.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Did the dad ever express anything about her not being married? Was that ever suggested as a problem for her other than that it kept her in contact with the abusive dad?
I ask this because there’s a real danger yet again of people adding the necessary details to make this story marginally less stupid in their memories, when those details did not exist.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think there is actually subtext here, I think he was just mad about the rocks and she was just unmarried. Which I mention because Mookie is incapable of subtext, his subtlest humor is “haha you thought it was sex but it was food.”

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Did the dad ever express anything about her not being married? Was that ever suggested as a problem for her other than that it kept her in contact with the abusive dad?
His ghost didn't mention that explicitly but when Pares guessed it with his cold reading Merrill herself said her dad wanted her to give up her lump collecting and focus on getting married.

edit: might as well include the comic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

mycatscrimes posted:

I was responding to the discussion that her getting in a relationship with a woman was necessarily aro-baiting. She has also not been established as asexual or aromantic, and the setup makes just as much sense for a woman experiencing pressure to be in a heterosexual relationship. It's very much a setup that applies to multiple marginalized sexualities, and it felt a little bit close to talking over the fact this is a very real and present aspect of homophobia in addition being experienced by aspec people.

Which I acknowledged, but imo there is a bunch of this that skews specifically aro, intentionally or not. She mentioned her dad having a problem with her not dating (or, well, not "focusing on getting married," I guess she could be casually dating but why read in and complicate this even further), not that she wanted to and couldn't because of him. At no point does anyone mention genders or any standards at all. It's the rocks that are stopping her from dating at all, going by how she tells it - she's simply more interested in collecting. Of course, both the problem with her being single and the rocks thing were retconned later, so who even knows. Also, Makeena's dads seemed like Mookie trying to add queer acceptance and normalization to the ways that Dominic has made the setting a relative utopia - which just makes the "tee hee, you thought we were lesbians!" fake-out seem in even poorer taste.

Her dad was right. Pairing is mandatory. She can't just like rocks.

But this is way more thought than either of us should be devoting to this tbqh.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Yeah, I thought she simply wasn't interested in getting married (for any number of reasons, just like irl) and her dad, being the typical conservative dickhead, was angry about it -- but he doesn't mention it and it's never brought up again.

But now it looks like she's head over heels for Spookie and the feeling is mutual? I think? God, this comic sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Caphi posted:

But this is way more thought than either of us should be devoting to this tbqh.

Oh for sure, lmao.

In other news,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_MT1n_Yz2E Got this video about fake psychics recommended in my yt and thought of this thread.