Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Oh poo poo here we go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GrossMurpel posted:

Wasn't that the reveal where it was Deegan's brother?

If I remember right it the fat guy was the mortal form of the lich or whatever who trained Jacob, the necromancer brother.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I honestly thought that was a link to a fake site with an edited comic at first.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Elysiume posted:

Aren't his orcs also a completely unimaginative re-rendering of orcs? Tribal, low-tech, aggressive, etc.

Ah, but you see they’re vegetarian. Very creative and going against expectations!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ague Proof posted:

A dwarf's fist made Dominic infertile and with Luna it was either a dragon or when she gave her reproductive energy to revitalize Maltak :negative:

Wasn't there that whole Dramatic Choice and then right after Dominic finds out that HE'S infertile and it becomes about him because of course it does?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Is there a limit to how long the stories can go or does it end when you decide you've had enough fun and close it down? Seems to be slowing down at the start of my adventure.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I'm out of the loop; why was Orc trending?

Someone posted this

https://twitter.com/monkipiquinn/status/1254197453957459968?s=21

and a bunch of D&D nerds got mad someone would point out racism in D&D and started saying things like "Oh that means you believe PoC are savages? Clearly you're the racist!" and "Orcs are fictional, therefor there is no racism here!"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Invisible Clergy posted:

Image for anyone who isn't familiar.

That's a reasonable question. Kender are consistently portrayed as white, and unlike orcs, whose racist writeups are just copypasta from racist screeds about black people, there is not a clear 1:1 who the kender are supposed to be standins for, and they do not physically resemble any specific real-world group. They are a race of Mary Sues. Their behavior is objectively annoying and terrible, but the book says they're cute and lovable.

Apparently Tracy Hickman didn't want a race that could be thieves, but still wanted players to be able to have the skills typically associated with thieves. So he made the Kender be annoying assholes who are pure and good and wonderful and also just take things they like but they're not really stealing so it's totally different!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Love how Ink Witch continues to be Snout's Mom Girlfriend

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I still can’t get over how he decided he needed to compile a list of sci fi racial slurs when talking about the different alien races.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Samovar posted:

If you want an example of good (and by good, I mean believable/understandable) fictional slurs, you could see Disco Elysium, where I genuinely had the thought process at one point: 'Why did that person call my partner coinslot - ooooooof'

The existence of fictional slurs in a work I can see, although you know...handle with care and all. It's the way he just throws up a page of lore that "And here's all the racial slurs and why people use it!" in the style of the other lore pages that just talk about the races that weirds me out. Maybe I'm not explaining well, but it sounds like Disco Elysium has it come up in the game as part of the dialogue and not a giant list someone hands you? It's one of those games I've been meaning to get around to playing some day. That seems a better way of handling it then what Mookie did.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

TheHan posted:

And cool end for Black Hole Bill there. They won’t kill you (that’d be evil), but they will use their government connections to ensure you spend the rest of your life suffering in the most inhumane space prison they can find. The way he just transparently uses the death of this AI—A living thing that was afraid to die and apparently just a child—to exact his personal vengeance makes it extra special.

Yeah that stuck out to me, especially with the purple lady getting chewed out for using lethal force against him. Clearly she should have just tortured him instead of shooting at him when he was trying to kill a bunch of people - that would be the Good Guy thing to do!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Take out that pin from earlier! Remember when Danica didn’t like the attention on her badguy punching exploits? Well now it’s all she wants to talk about because the plot requires her to be jealous of Dr. Hymn. Hooray for character consistency!

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/368542088897372161

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

I remember one where our Paladin got punished because we all killed a succubus while she was regenerating after we pulled her skeleton out of a gelatinous cube. Because the skeleton looked evil, we decided it had to be evil and we needed to get rid of her. Turns out she had turned to good and was and agent of the gods now. So like yes, we learn a lesson, we can't arbitrarily decide that us good, demons evil, therefore we get to kill them unconditionally.

Honestly, I feel like "punishing" characters kind of contributes to that Lawful Good stereotype. Because if the Paladin's player decides to let something slide because enforcing the rules would be unfun for the group, DnD encouraged the DM to leap in and say "HA! You're not following your code! Lose all your powers!" And this case it was completely arbitrary and the "right" course of actions required knowledge the player didn't have. Does 5th edition still let the DM gently caress over the Paladin like this?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't think that was even a thing in 3rd edition - well, at least not in a rules-defined way.

Paladins had a Code of Conduct that, if they violated, made them lose their class abilities. While it was the domain of terrible DMs to set up scenarios specifically to trick Paladins into falling, it was still a very common experience for players to have DMs feel they had to be harsh for "balance." So you'd have that situation Mookie talked about where Paladins would be strict and enforce their code onto the rest of the party - because if they didn't, the DM could say they weren't obeying it and punish them. Paladins had to be Lawful Good (changing to another alignment also made you fall and lose your abilities), so a lot of people began to take that as the way to play the alignment.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

Huh, interesting because we thought it was a great twist that played on our prejudices, and it set up an arc where we went on a redemption quest to get the paladin his powers back (by resurrecting the Succubus)

Mostly my objection comes to taking away the character's abilities. If this scenario played out without the mechanical punishment, that would be fine. It would say something about the character that he jumped to conclusions, and that he was willing to go out of his way and face danger to make things right. When a player picks a class, it's because they find those abilities fun and it kind of sucks to have that contingent on you acting what the DM thinks Lawful Good is and what might break your code of conduct. Like your other example, the player choose to trust that NPC and made a horrible mistake.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Sounds pretty cool. Aberrant's a neat system. I play unknown armies with Greg Stolze on Sundays. He's a fun guy.

drat you're lucky! Unknown Armies has been one of those games I've always wanted to play.

Anyway I'll move on as well since this is Deegan/Star Power chat and not TG.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
It like he speedran a Star Power story. "Danica lands on a planet, fights someone, he's redeemed she leaves the end."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah: https://starpowercomic.com/alignment/

I get it. Rebels are awesome. Living by your own rules is a sweet fantasy. Following your whims is a dream. But not everyone has those dreams. Some of us still aspire to the ideal of the knight in shining armor, and try to make those ideals relevant in modern storytelling.
Lawful Good may not be the alignment of awesomely rad rebels or sexy scoundrels, but its ideals are the ones I aspire to.

I feel like as a white cis het man, Mookie may not understand why other people might like characters who are not bound by the rules of society and act against them.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't understand how she got A-list voice talent for the animated series. Jim Cummings is going to be on that. Why?

Presumably they like getting paid, so I could see them viewing it as just another job.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Mors Rattus posted:

Because pipes look cool, but he will magically give it up with absolutely no problems with addiction or withdrawal later on due to magical surgery, because Mookie went vegan and got into health stuff.

If I remember correctly, a relative of his died from lung cancer and he didn’t want to have Dominic keep smoking which like - fair enough I feel.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

catlord posted:

I can... kinda see where he's coming from, but again it's a rough guide, and if we're applying that onto him, his willingness to buck command structures giving unjust orders (rather than reforming them, he reformed his CO's face) and his, uh...

yeah, definitely points to a chaotic bent. At best, I'd say NG-CG. But given his somewhat monomaniacal focus on demon-slaying, I'd personally lean to CN. Just fighting evil doesn't make you good, after all.

In the original games, Doomguy was put on the outpost as a punishment for beating the poo poo out of his superior who told him to fire on civilians (which is funny given Mookie's dislike of rebels). And in the second game he fights the demons specifically to let the rest of humanity get on the ships that will let them escape Earth which has been overrun, and willingly stays behind thinking he'll die.

catlord posted:

Besides, Doomslayer's a berserker in the most classical sense, even down to getting a boost by getting hosed up on drugs. What do you think's in a berserk pack, Mookie? A bottle of holy water and some communion wafers?

Eh, honestly this is a D&D Alignment issue thing. Personally I feel like who and why you're fighting is a more important element of your character then how you're fighting.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
If I remember, Mookie later said that the fire healing is only temporary. I don't know if it comes up in the strip or was just something he said when people pointed out "Doesn't this guy heal by getting set on fire?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

TheHan posted:

I remember there being several retcons to explain why Luna never got rid of her tusks and why doing so would've been a bad thing, but none of them very good.

If I remember, people who did have tusks and fixed it never felt happy and like something was missing. Of course Luna was depressed to the point of wanting to kill herself so it's not even that good a retcon.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Kavak posted:

I feel pangs of recognition about most things Deegan, but I have no loving idea what slaughterball is.

Football, but in a fantasy setting. I forget if we actually see it played or what the rules are though.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Invisible Clergy posted:

Yeah, this is textual, it's named after the town he grew up in.

loving imagine hearing that someone from your town made a webcomic where they name a fantasy town the same name, and and you read the chapter where all the idiot bigot locals get gruesomely murdered.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Marin Karin posted:

The official forums were funny though because they were like if we had an entire sub-forum dedicated to making GBS threads on DD and Mookie. Even they hated it!

This apparently happened to several other communities that used to be fans of Dominic Deegan like the Livejournal one. They all went from liking it to hating it, which makes me wonder where the people who actually unironically like Mookie's work talk.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

the proper response to dominic

This is actually pretty funny to me since it's Dominic suffering consequences for being a smug rear end in a top hat and getting owned. I even like his text being small and in lowercase to show how he's in pain. This is one of those occasions where Mookie comes up with something good and then immediately backs away from it, when Luna instantly and harmlessly stops them from being a threat in the very next two pages.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Regalingualius posted:

I forget, is he also the only character that’s explicitly said/shown to be a POC in the strip for a long, long time? Because hoo boy, making the only non-white character a thief and raging misogynist has a load of unfortunate implications in and of itself.

The misogynist is the other guy, Stunt. But yeah, I think Bumper is the only POC for a while. I can't actually remember if there are any others off the top of my head.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
"Okay so Snout gets the guy out and he wakes up...poo poo, he'd be in a ton of pain from having half his skin ripped off right? And then they'd talk. Or, uh, the guy would write at Snout about everything that happened. So I'd need to tie this into the plot.

gently caress it, he turns into dust."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I remember most of the bad stuff, but it's fun how there's always something else I didn't remember - in this case, Dominic's "MOM, DID YOU gently caress KARNAK?!" poo poo.

Invisible Clergy posted:

You know, as dumb as that is, I can't argue with that. It makes sense through Mookie logic. What is that? Homestuck?

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President. The guy behind it puts an insane amount of thought behind how creatures, magic, and magic items work in the story. In this case the characters are trying to escape from someone who has a magic item that shows you how you'll die.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

Go back and try to figure out where Brett learned Greg's name. Hint: He didn't.

I think the "etching" is supposed to be an illustration of Greg, so he recognizes him from the picture. And I guess it also mentions he's a white mage? That's just my guess though.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Codependent Poster posted:

Though I guess we saw his talent at making up slurs in Star Power. I think he just really gets off on being able to say those words under the guise of "oh bad characters are saying it, not me!"

I feel like it's more "this is an easy way to make people hate this character" and he probably thinks it's okay because, well, they're bad people! Of course they'd use slurs! Sort of like how he had that gangster alien poo poo on the non-binary detective in Star Power. But he doesn't think about how it can come off actually reading a story with slurs constantly being thrown around.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
"Why should I care about the world" is real stupid coming from a privileged guy with rich and famous parents and incredible magical powers. Like I could see that working in a story where the main character has a real lovely life and is badly mistreated by the people around them - but with Dominic it just comes off as whining that people don't like him and his family as much as they should.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

There's something incredibly funny about an evil guy belonging to an evil order that wants to end the world using the word "jocks" to describe sports players.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

GrossMurpel posted:

Isn't this the guy whose comic started with a womanizing dude making a devil contract to womanize more and the main "feature" were sexy demonesses? The hell?

From what I understand, he changed and seemed to be learning feminism...and then he went full in on TERF/SWERF bullshit.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I like how Serk is giving Pam a business card even though only magic users can have the equivalent of a phone. Unless for some reason no one would know where a hugely important person like him would be and it's just his address.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

It's actually been really interesting for me because I can't believe how much of this story I re-edited in my brain. It was so much worse than I remembered.

Yeah it's interesting how, looking back on it years and years later, there's so many bad things about it I didn't realize at the time.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

YF-23 posted:

Huh. A rare instance of mookie refusing his own diffusion of tension. Too bad there's no stakes to the tension, because any interest in the doings of these characters has been systematically assassinated by the author.

It's possible the very next comic will have this problem instantly solved

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

oriongates posted:

One notable difference between Rick and Dominic is that the narrative and other characters know that Rick is a piece of poo poo and that being a genius and being a good person aren't mutually exclusive. Rick just refuses to acknowledge that. As do many of Rick's fans.

Yeah I'd say that while the show kind of fumbles the landing on that message, it's very clear that Rick is a toxic influence to his family and is making their lives horrifically worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

The Little Death posted:

So here is the death of Sigfried. Even here, sympathetic. But notice his last words are about not being forgotten

It's also exactly what he said the first time they met, after he beat the poo poo out of Dominic.