Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

IT'S BEEN
ONE WEEK
SINCE YOU
LOOKED AT
ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also it's only 5 pages long so it's not a loving book

Giant font printed on ONE SIDE of each page. It's a poster.

Not to mention the weirdly colloquial tone it has, starting with "It's been one week since you looked at me 200 years since...". Instead of something more formal like "200 years have passed since..."

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love that he's risking life and limb for nothing more than mild curiosity. What a great call to action for our hero's journey :geno:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember how Star Wars starts off with Luke tagging along with Obiwan because he's really bored? Great stuff.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He has a magic harp that makes his words visibly appear inside bubble-like objects above his head.

Mookie pats himself on his back for his cleverness.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This sounds mildly interesting, to me, the reader, but there's still absolutely no reason for the main character to give a gently caress.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

...okay what the gently caress is happening with his crotch in the penultimate panel?

Second Life!!!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Llab posted:

He used to go to any con that would invite him to do a panel on writing unique heroes and memorable villains. I remember a year he did not go to one of these when he wasn't invited to do a panel.

He also drew a picture of himself receiving a standing ovation for one of his panels (the audience is all off frame, clapping wildly).

The man is extremely self-absorbed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No DiAlOgUe

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Get ready for more gratuitous dong shots, since Snout is always naked in his dreams, as he continuously mentions in his personal diary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

He’s totally psyching himself up to finally draw a woman’s tiddy.

And when he does it will just be a sphere with a dot in the middle of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

I just want to point out that this book apparently has the table of contents in the middle

And the table of contents has no page numbers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Snout's routine is whatever Mookie imagines his character in No Man's Sky might do. Unfortunately he forgets to actually translate that into representation on the page. His characters can read his mind, but the audience can't.

It should be extremely obvious by now that "no dialogue" actually just means "no speech/thought bubbles." There should be no reason why we the audience shouldn't be able to see his thoughts, but nope, gotta write it all down or not show it at all because "no dialogue".

So, yknow, look forward to characters having lengthy conversations by flashing notepads at each other while Mookie pats himself on the back for being a brilliant writer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

To Nowhere And Back Again

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elysiume posted:

I have no sense of scale for the wild edge. He has his sad bindle over his shoulder and is just casually walking. Has he been walking for an hour, and the magic of the wild edge is such that the landscape changes like a Minecraft map? Has he been walking for a day? A week?

He literally only has a clump of berries for food so he's probably been gone for five minutes.

He's worse prepared than that goon who tried hiking across America with a baby stroller.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Mookie has been doing this for over ten years.

Almost twenty :v:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

He can't have gone very far because he's just now eating that nondescript clump of berries.

Also he's all out of food now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Love how his bindle vanishes and reappears between panels.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why is this being portrayed as a dilemma? Why can't he go investigate the ship and then check out the town? He has no idea where he's going, he's not on a schedule, he can do whatever he wants???

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

haha i just got this

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This comic is really great at showcasing how much Mookie sucks at facial expressions.

Ague Proof posted:

How will Mookie explain what the gently caress just happened without dialogue.

Get ready for a full month of comics of him and the witch writing at each other.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Get ready for a full month of comics of him and the witch writing at each other.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't believe how much no dialogue is happening in this comic. Just all over the place, so much no dialogue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Why do you have the exact same handwriting as me?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think he regrets it at all. I think he genuinely believes that this counts as no dialogue, because there are no speech bubbles. It's the only thing that's consistent so far.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love that the sign is just out in the middle of nowhere, and not like on a major crossroads where a sign would actually be useful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

How loving far away was that sign? :psyduck:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On Twitter someone was confused about which way the sign was pointing when the ship came down, and Mookie explained it as "an artistic choice with a minor sacrifice of continuity". :shepface:

It's like if you were in the middle of an empty prairie in Nebraska, and there's a sign, pointing east, and it says "New York City".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lmao at the "6 year old who just learned how to draw a cube" cubes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The text adds absolutely nothing that isn't already made clear by the artwork. Even when it's not necessary he feels compelled to add words to his "dialogue free" comic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Little Death posted:

She's like the waitress from IASIP.

lmao even looks like her

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Where's his bindle when he's walking and writing (something that is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT if you've ever tried it)? That thing seriously just vanishes and reappears whenever it's convenient.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

why do these people not have belts

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sailor Cat posted:

Deaf people have spatial awareness, too, Mookie. Snout's gonna notice someone waving his arms wildly from two feet away.

Not to mention feeling someone's breath on you if they're screaming.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TheHan posted:

Every dozen or so pages Mookie actually moves things along at a decent pace and while it's nice I can't help but judge the massive waste of time pages harsher in retrospect.

TheHan posted:

You can only really run the ink drip scam once. When people see you fingerpaint a big black X and call it a fortune they ain’t coming back.

Wait I thought it was night time but it's clearly day in the first panel :confused:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Called it.

Regalingualius posted:

He’s totally psyching himself up to finally draw a woman’s tiddy.

Fister Roboto posted:

And when he does it will just be a sphere with a dot in the middle of it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

His ballsack looks like a potato.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

just loving lol that he still doesn't know her name

like it's not even important to him

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man, the whole "no dialogue" thing is really highlighting just how loving objectified female characters are in DD. None of her feelings or opinions matter at all because she isn't even allowed to express herself. She does whatever the main character wants her to and can't say anything in response. This is like some sort of bizarre control fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

YF-23 posted:

If this leads into a conversation that Snout (and we) are not privy to leaving us to piece what happens together ourselves that would be cool.

They're going to literally spell it out for no reason.