Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
But how would you know this was set in the Dominic Deegan universe if you didn't immediately visit the Dominic Deegan Memorial Cow Pasture Outdoor Library?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, if the tail is coming out of the middle of Snout's lower back, does that mean his spine doesn't extend all the way down to his pelvis?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's been, what, two weeks since this started and we've already gotten a wall of text recap for the comic with no dialogue?

But that's not the important question. The important question is: Where's Dominic?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

Technically Mookie didn't lie to us. We just foolishly assumed he wouldn't half-rear end it.

No we didn't.

Edit: Now that the audience knows Scrunt is deaf, everyone in the comic knows too. So Mookie doesn't have to show anything and can just start telling us what's going on with "ink magic."

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 19, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

quote:

IT'S BEEN TWO HUNDRED YEARS SINCE DOMINIC DEEGAN BEGAN HIS
While I know this is setting up something benign or self-congratulatory, I can't help but see it as an alternate intro for Stimpire.text

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Synthbuttrange posted:

Doggydick Deegan

look at that loving tail

I don't think we can call it a tail at this point. It's a non-prehensile tentacle that just grows haphazardly out of his back.

It's like a lekku for Snout's liver.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So nice we're getting those random scraps of paper about Dominic in the correct reading order. Sure would be a shame if we got some random bit of a different passage that didn't make any sense to puzzle over.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snout is Dominic, that's why the name means something to him.

The real question is: how long is it going to take him to get to Namek?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Potayto, potahto.

Potavto

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Absolutely pissing myself at how phoned in it's gotten. Dialogue-free entirely because he's deaf so it's all just text. Provided to us in a visual medium.
Dominic Deegan has taught me that being deaf isn't an inconvenience at all because the universe will contrive to have absolutely everyone and everything communicate to you in writing.

YF-23 posted:

Also four of those panels are the same panel.
He redrew the same panel four times, which is actually not a bad thing. They were lazy, low-effort panels but it wasn't a copy/paste job.

The real issue is that Snout's hand moves from the bottom of the page to the side of the page depending on which angle you view him at.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
How does the paper know Snout's name? The audience knows Snout's name so of course the paper does too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's because Snout is Dominic, warped and mutated after his final trip to the Wild Edge 200* years ago.

*200 + however many it's been since the book was written (I'm betting this number is 0 and Dominic vanished exactly 200 years ago).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheHan posted:

A pleasant surprise from Mookie!

Still expecting an anticlimax. He also likes the "freakish monster turns out to be a nice person" twist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Fragile Tooth Canyon

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I was so sure that was an edit until I looked on the actual site. That's real?!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It even spat him out when he accidentally fell into its mouth. It was just trying to help him reach the thing on the top shelf!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

To drat Mookie with faint praise, that wasn't his dumbest idea.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's like the start of The Hobbit except Gandalf got abducted by aliens and Snout can't hear the singing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's so little happening. Why did I suddenly remember Runcible Spoon?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is it really, though?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Look, I'm really, really trying here.

I was poking fun at the ship crashing into Mongreltown. It's not so much 'overhead' anymore.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Little Death posted:

Bad news guys, the fun thing didn't really happen :(

Oh no, instead of traveling [x] time to Mongreltown he'll need to travel [x]+20 minutes instead!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

"Could you use a smaller font so we can get the plot dump done in a week instead of three months?"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie has a few 'pet' scenes in his head. You can spot them because they're usually goofy nonsense (like the Ink Witch's missed hug), feature a villain being a smug prick, or they're "sexy." Everything else exists to kludge the story into Mookie's next pet scene as quickly and directly as possible Mookie can manage.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
This plot dump is being done solely so Mookie can get them both into a tent / mongreltown hotel together to 'camp out.'

The Ink Witch is going to reassure Snout that it's only natural for them both to sleep naked together because Dominic Mookie Snout is perfect the way he is and never has to do anything or change so he shouldn't worry about it; but Snout will struggle to fail asleep because he's such a nice guy and also pure virgin Anime tropes.

Snout will never ask the Ink Witch for her name. She exists only as a tool to validate his existence.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

This plot dump is being done solely so Mookie can get them both into a tent / mongreltown hotel together to 'camp out.'

Goddamn it Mookie. I didn't want to be right.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snout is his self-insert.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Ink Witch doesn't have a name because Mookie liked 'The Ink Witch' and didn't put any thought into it beyond that. She is The Ink Witch (who also happens to be an ink witch), and she exists as an object to validate Snout's existence. She isn't a person.

She is a sexy lamp that gives his life purpose and meaning.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
So, if everything that particular shade of black is ink, does that include the Ink Witch's dress?

... Stupid question, of course it does.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I suspect he just has no idea where to go from here or what to do now that he's put the two protagonists in the same place. Until he can contrive a way for the two of them to either A) stumble upon a Bad Guy doing Something Bad (which they'll just stand around and watch happen), or B) have a sex scene; we'll get more of this.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rotten Red Rod posted:

On Twitter someone was confused about which way the sign was pointing when the ship came down, and Mookie explained it as "an artistic choice with a minor sacrifice of continuity". :shepface:

I will admit he'd get a laugh out of me if the next two weeks are random traveling followed by a very clear day where they rehash all those old panels in reverse to backtrack to the sign, realized they went the wrong way, and then one-panel travel to Mongreltown.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

ah gently caress he's going to do this, isn't he

The only question is whether he'll do this before or after de-powering the Ink Witch so she'll be 100% reliant on Snout.

I just noticed she has two right feet.

Edit:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 21, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drunk Theory posted:

I assume it will pop up again eventually.

So does Mookie.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drunk Theory posted:

It’s just infuriating, and also convinced me even he does not care about his “story”

There's the problem.

Mookie does not write stories, he doesn't sit down and ask "Ok, where this this going, what are my themes, what are the implications of this?"

Mookie writes scenes. Sometimes those scenes almost fit together, but it's like jigsaw puzzle pieces from different pictures made at the same factory.

Edit: The only reason they're going to Fantasy Racism Mongrel Town at all is so:
A) the Orc Wizard can do a hate crime
B) Snout and The Ink Witch can rent a one-bed hotel room together (so Snout can be a chaste gentleman this time and make a big show about sleeping on the floor).
C) Both

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 28, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd say it happened around the time Dominic went full Golden Age Superhero and just stood around doing nothing while the bad guys accomplished all of their goals and thwarted one another without his direct intervention until the last second when a new power or ability would drop unearned and effortless into Dominic's lap and he'd resolve the problem of the year in an anticlimax.

Wait, that was still every single arc, wasn't it? poo poo.

The real answer was "that time Mookie tried to make rape a heroic act." That was peak Dominic Deegan.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 29, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mookie doesn't even remember the sign gag

One of those Elephant Catapults lives at the bottom of the cliff, clearly.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

but apparently has no mechanism to get the book via inter-library communication and transport.

Easiest assumption to make is that Mookie has never actually been to a library and doesn't know inter-library loans are a thing.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'll give Mookie a little credit if Buuk Stor is the name and the intentional misspelling is the same reason the store is doing so poorly: because it's owned by a fantasy racist.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

MiracleFlare posted:

I'm stunned trying to wrap my mind around what possible narrative direction this can take, either in terms of plot, worldbuilding, or character development.

It is 100% to get Snout and the Ink Witch thinking about getting it on so they can get it on in their inevitable hotel room later. Likely they'll be interrupted while still doing the will-they-won't-they dance by an attack by the Orc Wizard who will turn out to hate Mongrelfolk for no reason proving once again that Orcs are just misunderstood and it's just the rare bad apple that make everyone else dislike them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Ink Witch is an rear end in a top hat if she's not even trying to deflect this or explain.