Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

ya know I've never read the original comic

All you need to know about it is that the main character was an oracle, which meant he'd sometimes have visions that teased the next Bad Thing he'd have to prevent. His girlfriend was a human with orc tusks that destroyed her self esteem most of her life. All of the problems were ultimately solved with DBZ-style anime fights, but but badly drawn and with the least engaging visual structure possible.

There was also the time Mookie decided that he was going to contrive a scenario where a rape could be heroric and absolve the rapist of all wrongdoing.

This is the level of quality to expect in this comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The image registry on his website was public for a long time. Like Mors said, he'd keep all sorts of weird stuff like his "Pretty Dead Girl" pinup photos there, and a few test pages for another comic idea about a necromancer with a death fetish and his hot demon girl minion. It was eventually set to private but it was also around the time his server hosting changed, so most likely the new host just defaulted to a private setting and Mookie remained unaware. I haven't checked in a few years (and I'm not going to because blehh) but most of the creepy stuff was also posted to his DeviantArt, so it's not like it was a private shame for him anyway.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Taking a bold stance of adding exposed cocks to my badly-drawn knockoff Dungeons and Dragons webcomic

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Don't sleep nude in the same room as your dying houseguest imo

Have we even gotten a clear shot of her face? We've been given a more concrete idea about what Dominic Deegan has done since the end of that comic than anything about this woman.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SupSuper posted:

His body anatomy keeps getting more prepubescent. No pits, no nips, can you even call that a butt? :colbert:

Prepubescent boys have nipples, too, but apparently Mookie decided nipples on guys is still a no-go in this nu(dist)-age.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Toriyama likes drawing monsters.

He also completely forgot Launch existed for a while.

As far as Mookie goes, you can tell he was plotting things out for a while in DD. He just got lazy and justifies it as being more fun for himself this way.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

As someone who knows nothing about this comic but has been enjoying this thread: Why is he wearing a striped scarf in one panel but none of the others?
Is the Shuma-Gorath knock-off using old panels to make bad things re-occur to him like a flashback, or is this just utterly visually incomprehensible?

Like other people said, it was an edit. The original dwarf dick-punch scene was from when Dominic and Luna when on a cruise around the world for some rushed world building vacation time. Mookie would sometimes draw Dominic with a big scarf, sometimes when it was chilly out or just whenever, because Mookie's also a big Doctor Who fan. It was more frequent in earlier chapters, but it'd crop up periodically later on.

Other fun facts: Dominic himself is based on a D&D character Mookie played. Two other characters, the priestess woman and her werewolf boyfriend, were also D&D characters his friends played. Another character, Nimmel, was... either an MMO character or a character of Mookie's in another RPG, I forget which now.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
DEEGAN! :argh:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Edit: Oh, I missed a notable one. One of those bonus images (unrelated to this comic) was a character he created who is a necromancer in a graveyard reading a book called "Put the Romance back in Necromancy" with "Talk to Dead Girls" on the back of the book.

Yeah. He created a necrophiliac necromancer OC. According to Mookie, he'll "either go on to defile corpses for horrible undead rituals, or he's going to be a harmless pervert with a ghost fetish ;) "

Not ;) , Mookie. Not ;) at all.

I literally mentioned this in like the second post I made in this thread

Nuns with Guns posted:

The image registry on his website was public for a long time. Like Mors said, he'd keep all sorts of weird stuff like his "Pretty Dead Girl" pinup photos there, and a few test pages for another comic idea about a necromancer with a death fetish and his hot demon girl minion. It was eventually set to private but it was also around the time his server hosting changed, so most likely the new host just defaulted to a private setting and Mookie remained unaware. I haven't checked in a few years (and I'm not going to because blehh) but most of the creepy stuff was also posted to his DeviantArt, so it's not like it was a private shame for him anyway.

Good work being unable to resist touching the poop and coming away with nothing worthwhile though. You could at least commission a Szark headshot to send to Tess to match Tess's framed Dance Commander drawing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't really consider paying $3 touching the poop, it's not like I pinged him on Twitter or something.

If you're paying him money just to snoop through his stuff for Thread Material, you're touching the poop.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Making a poo pie fulla worms and scarfing it down

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Who What Now posted:

You are weirdly mad about this

You picked a really mild post to accuse me of being mad about hours after, like the one right above that is way spicer.

But tell me why it's not weird to buy your way into someone's Patreon just to see if there's any funny material to leak to a mock thread?

Like sure, the classic CAD threads would've probably stooped to that but they were also resorting to cheering on WebDog's weird stalking efforts in a desperate bid for laffy material as CAD shifted into banality. That's what got them banned in BSS and a big part of why every other mock thread was banned in BSS while the Deegan thread was allowed to peacefully die after the comic reached its natural end.

E-

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, like, sorry I posted about something you already posted, and also bought Mookie a coffee? I guess? I dunno why it offends you so much.

Read above

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 31, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

These things are absolutely nothing alike. Paying to access Patreon content tiers is in no way stalking.

I didn't say it was. I said it was the kind of thing the CAD threads would stoop to at their lowest, most desperate point when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel for more material to post. Usually they just resorted to stalking because Patreon wasn't a thing yet.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

"I didn't say I was accusing you of falling down the slippery slope. Here's what was at the bottom of the slippery slope last time."

I know 'lol slippery slope' is a serious political own, but this turned into a debate about whether or not I said it was stalking and I said it wasn't. It's a bid for fresh material to point and laugh at rather than letting it come out naturally, and maybe if the comic on its own isn't delivering that's a sign to sit around and wait for a while and boot up Skyrim for the 100000th time, or that the mock thread itself was a bit premature if we're burning through the publicly accessible laughs so fast.

And the only counter I've seen so far to "Why is this not weird?" is that it was only kinda weird because it was just enough to buy a nice coffee at Starbucks.

But since we're still rolling with the "I never" I never said it wasn't a wooo~slippery slope~wooo to stalking him. I do think it is, actually, and I'd like to head that off at the pass. Because something about mock threads causes the irresistible urge for people to secure their heads to their asses and cross the line into deeply personal grudges against creators that are generally, not much more than mediocre idiots, and that drains a lot of the fun out of laughing at badly-drawn comics on the internet.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ok, well, if someone takes it further then we'll have a problem, but I'm not. I don't think paying Mookie $3 to look at his bad art is (much) weirder than participating in a mock thread pulling apart every single panel he draws, which is already admittedly pretty weird.

If someone actually starts harassing Mookie I'll be the first to object. But this is a really, really minor thing to get so aggro about.

I do also think nitpicking the art in a DD comic panel-by-panel is pretty dull unless it's a particularly bad page, but I'm not going to scream from the mountaintops at people picking fruits off the ground if they're bored and trying to pass the time.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 31, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You brought up the comparison to the CAD stalking, not me.

I didn't say you did? I'm not getting what we're arguing here.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't even have a grudge against Mookie - in fact, I didn't say anything, but I thought the comments a few people made about being bewildered he had a son were pretty crass. My sole focus is on the art he creates and how much joy it gives me to mock it.

Anyway I probably helped prolong this so I'll stop posting about it now.

The comments about Mookie's son were lovely, too, and prior comments were people were laughing and psychoanalyzing descriptions of Mookie's wedding photos, yeah. :smith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Who What Now posted:

I think you need to step away from the internet for a little bit, friend

I did last night, but now it's a nice weekend morning and I'm waking up. What are your plans for the day besides posting worthless comments?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Who What Now posted:

Clearly not for long enough

My insatiable hunger for flesh is a curse and I'll thank you not to tempt me further as I do my best to control it

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So did Mookie decide to draw Snout with a dog muzzle to give his main character a visible facial profile, and reduce the number of times people commented on how all the humans look like they're wearing a Mortal Kombat-esque ninja face mask?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PMush Perfect posted:

I admit to having never looked at what Mookie looked like, and, honestly, I thought he'd look more like Dominic.

He looks like my mom's ex-boyfriend who worked in a music store and lived in the attic above it.

There was some filler art he did a long time ago during DD's run that got laugh at a lot. It was a drawing he did of how moved he was when he got a standing ovation for a panel he did on writing realistic heroes and villains at a con, and yeah he drew himself like Dominic and probably did look more like him then. But getting into metal Does Things to you (spiritually).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope that the inevitable sex scene confirms nipples just don't exist in Deeganland.... Actually wait this world never got a full name did it? All he did was name the fantasy nations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Falconer posted:

If memory serves it was something like maple candies became mavpel candies. Like, the 'v' served no purpose aside from trying (and failing) to make it sound like a fantasy word.

...dear God I vaguely remember something from a webcomic I haven't read or thought about in years.

The "V" was added because they came from werewolf Russia, and I guess Mookie figured this meant they added "V" to words

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was wondering about what would happen when he inevitably would draw some sex on this comic because he doesn't have the skill to make it look sexy and couldn't stop it from looking like two lovecraftian creatures humping. Was he going to fade to black after a few full-body nude shots? Was he going to make it a collage of weird closeup sex faces to avoid having to do body shots? Some highly symbolic images that make no sense because he can't draw objects?

At least the teaser images give me hope that it will be funny.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's not blood, the spikes ooze red velvet cake batter and nobody has been dumb enough to check for the difference

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It must be really inconvenient to have a floating eyeball on a stalk with no eyelid. This chaos beast is the most sympathetic character in the comic so far.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You know, I'm down for a tree being full of hate and contemplating what exactly that would mean for a tree. I could totally see how a hateful tree would get so wound up in stabbing everything that it stabs itself, too.

Where it falls flat is with it flipping the bird, which was a punchline that was apparently so good Mookie had to do it twice. That's a level of human awareness that really doesn't work with the physical embodiment of hate in a tree form.

Even the "shoot the sign asking to be friends" thing could work as a punchline if it cut back to an expressionless tree, too. Because what more does a Hate Tree need to say? That was the whole baseline of Tess's classic Dominic Treegan edits, after all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, and I was just guessing. Wow, sad how closely he copied the concept.

The whole premise of Dominic Deegan is based on an old D&D character of his, with several supporting cast members being other players' D&D characters. It's safe to assume that's where he pulls most of his fantasy concepts from.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Good thing it’s always warm enough to sleep naked in the dirt of a cave without a fire, blanket or door.

I broke into his private twitter alt and I am happy to report that he breathes through his skin and needs to remain in the buff at night to get enough oxygen. Once this is all revealed in-comic, you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PetraCore posted:

Why couldn't an orc have done so if it was so simple?

The premise was something like: rear end in a top hat Knight's rear end in a top hat Knight Dad (who was dubbed the Dance Commander by a prior thread for his facial hair and a panel where it looked like he was pelvic thrusting while donning a necklace of orc tusks) did a mass genocide on the orcs. One orc chieftan was all like "Curse you!" to him and that turned out to be a real curse that caused human babies to be born with tuskmouth. Luna was all special because she came to accept her tuskmouth in spite of it being the source of lifelong abuse instead of having them removed or managing to successfully kill herself or whatever. This meant she was special and could help fix the genocide and death magic poison the Dance Commander inflicted on orcland.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

It should be noted that all of this spiraled out from Mookie being mad that people liked the rear end in a top hat knight dude because he was a jock.

What was great about that is Siegfried was popular because he had an "arc" with "character growth" and things like "moving past irrational bigotry" but then Mookie retconned it so that Jayden cheated on her werewolf boyfriend and condemned Siggy to hell. And then he layered on extra badness by revealing that as a child/teenager Siggy helped perpetuate war crimes against the orcs to impress his father. So you know, hope you enjoy being damned forever because of crimes you conducted as a child for your lovely monster of a parent.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

How did Mookie even engage with his, uh, fans enough to know their reaction to that character? Were there comments/a forum on his site back then?

His site STILL loads as the mobile version for me. I'm glad for the pages being posted here so I don't have to deal with it. Every page is zoomed WAY in so it looks blurry and lovely.

He used to read/post on the Keenspot forums for the comic when it was hosted there. That place turned to mockery not long after the Storm of Souls arc, iirc. Mookie kind of withdrew from any fan engagement like that after a while. There's a pretty consistent pattern of the sincere discussion places turning to derision after a while that's kind of strange but also a bit of an interesting phenomenon for the comic.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 5, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh I just remembered, during the Very Special Episode about how alterists aren't all bad Luna found out that even though her womb would bear no fruit, the eggs in her ovaries were extra magic and if they were implanted in someone else they'd take on the other person's DNA or something, and it'd be great for other infertile couples or let a surrogate carry a baby for her.

E- Also, they found out Dominic was infertile too so good work undermining any special sacrifice Luna had to bear for revitalizing the expansive plains of a nation

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 6, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So Snout is having weird prophetic dreams 200 years after Dominic saw the end of all prophecy.... man the twist is gong to be that Snout is like the first oracle born in generations or something isn't it?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm glad all the mogrelfolk are dead

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was going to make a comment before this page about how it'd be funny if the Ink Witch popped out of the crashed ship, but I was like "Nahhh, what would be the point of everything in between her kidnapping and meeting back up with Snout then?" And now this happened and seriously, what was the point of everything between when she was kidnapped and when they met back up then?

Snout is further from places he's familiar with, but the ship could've blown up his house and prompted Snout and the Ink Witch to go off in pursuit of it and that would've skipped the whole of... at least November and December's comics.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Has there ever been a point?

Really, no, but sometimes it feels good to scream to the uncaring heavens

Rotten Red Rod posted:

But no, it's just... Her ship. So why did she do all that poo poo to Snout instead of just meeting back up with him earlier? And the villain is just... Some random orc mage? This comic is full of mysteries that don't further the plot, but just muddle the details.

On top of all that, if this is her ship why'd she blow up his house?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I forgot this comic existed for a month and saw five mongrel dicks while catching up on old pages. He's really cramming them in there...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Who the gently caress is this for? You’ve got dicks and boobs and the writing is beyond terrible/nonexistent and the art is still dominated c deegan levl after all these years

Besides Mookie himself, honestly he probably has more people who hate-read it than any genuine fans at this point. Dominic Deegan had a small window of time where it was relevant and popular to get promoted by other big webcomics like VG Cats or Ctrl+Alt+Del and get an easter egg namedrop in Girl Genius. Nobody cares or remembers much about it now. Still, Mookie's in that rare and precious position now where he can do whatever he wants and be happy, so this is what he does with his time.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

How Wonderful! posted:

No matter what happened in that thread in the past, there's no need at all to make fun of a rape survivor now. Maybe the posts were bad, maybe they weren't, but this conversation is done and whoever bought Android Blues that avatar should feel ashamed of themselves. Trauma is really complicated, recovery is really complicated, and sometimes it involves being a difficult person. The mature and kind thing to do would be to let it lie and certainly not to continue prodding the survivor about it. So please be mature and kind about this and move on to talking about something else.

It'd be nice if people could stop using the just-offscreen rape panel as a loss.jpg substitute or referring to it with silly demeaning terms like "jazzhands" too tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Now that I think about it, didn't Dominic Deegan sort of do the same thing CAD did? I know CAD just kind of ended out of loving nowhere with no indication it was ending, and I feel like Mookie was talking about all his plans for the future of the comic and then it was the final battle and everything wrapped up.

Mookie seems to plan things day-by-day and I'd be surprised if he knew where the plot was going in anything but the broadest end terms. He's written like that at least since after the Stonewater arc, if not after the Storm of Souls.

That said, there were a couple of plot hooks he teased that never came out, but he said he decided to drop them a long while before the end of the comic started. You could tell Mookie was ready to try something else and was prepping for Star Power, but DD was in a state where it could really end whenever Mookie wanted. Because it'd always end in a stiff DBZ fight like the prior dozen boss fights had. The "real" DD people had been attached to ended a long time ago by that point and closing things out was just a matter of formality.