Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Speaking of disease in my brain, I could swear Dominic Deegan ended with the Heart of Magic (is the face of god) being destroyed, causing magic to die out forever.
I specifically remember everyone pointing out that this would probably cause the whole world to collapse and all the bullshit magical creatures to die out.

But I just checked the site and it just ends with Dominic specifically losing his powers and no one else?
Did it change? Am I combining two awful half-remembered internet things into one story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Dominic Deegan is good now.
This is the one thing it was missing all along.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

A dialogue-free wild edge comic was something mookie threatened to make years and years ago but I think he forgot the whole point of that concept.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I forgot the final boss of Dominic Deegan was a fistful of earthworms with a ping pong ball eye!
Oh god am I going to end up re-reading this thing?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

His house was a box and he had no possessions and he's okay with sleeping naked on the floor.
I suppose the featureless rectangle house could hold sentimental value but this isn't much of a downgrade for Snout t b h.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

In the last panel of the most recent one he just has an animal face and it's the most convincing animal face Mookie's ever drawn.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I want to read about the adventures of SuperMechagodzilla's version of Snout

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

See I'm hoping the next line is "Country Music" and it turns out to be a biography of a completely different and unrelated Dominic Deegan. Nobody cares about the other guy.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Wild Edge, baby!
Sorry, is it too wild for you?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Those are the wild edges

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Please seek a doctor

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The concept of Horny City as a fantasy locale is actually the best idea in all of Dominic Deegan. It's like a city, but horny.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Impalement on a big goofy spike wouldn't even damage a paper irreparably, you'd just end up with a flappy tear that you can just fold back into place.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The ink golem will communicate through literal physical speech bubbles!! Mark my words!!!!!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

This comic is a parody of itself and I can almost believe it's some kind of weird trolling attempt.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Snout only eats crazy Wild Edge foods! Like berries or a leaf!

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

"Dear Diary
Today I met a hologram bard who can play music that is visible instead of audible..."

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Well, say what you will about this comic, at least it ended much quicker than Dominic Deegan Classic!
I wonder what Mookie will do for his next project.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

That's the problem, he's terrified of giving up the wonderful thrills and excitement, the breathtaking scenery of The Wild Edge.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The Little Death posted:

Why does Snout even live on his own? Like, this is something that now has to be addressed because he is pointedly not living in the town dedicated to his people, so much so that he had to spend days? weeks? travelling there.

Well he's a Jar Jar Binks so most likely he was exiled by his CGI king. (voiced by Brian Blessed)

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Wait wait wait wait.
Then what was the whole point of the spaceship plotline? Aside from destroying Jar Jar's house?
The whole thing was a pointless little story loop.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I do not enjoy to see the snout man's densely carpeted treasure trail. i hate to view it.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I am the fantasy plastic garbage bag.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I'm just remembering now, weren't mongrelfolk gigantic in DD Classic?
I seem to remember that when Dominic met the original Jar Jar Binks of the Wild Edge, he was like 8 feet tall.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Her name is Dominic Deegan Jr. The Sixth and that's why she can't reveal it until a dramatically appropriate time.

edit: alternately her first name is Legacy of Dominic

Libra fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 10, 2020

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Nnno, the art is genuinely abysmal. Not even close to servicable.
I dislike this comic and I also dislike this thread, and I agree that people try way to hard to hate on this harmless comic man, but the art is indefensible and he has absolutely not improved.

Stagnating is not the same as finding and maintaining a consistent style and I don't think he has the basic fundamentals of illustration down.
It's more like he's built up a small library of shapes that he can repeat and brute-force into a comic. A sort of manual copy and paste.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I will be honest, I'm delighted by the concept of an "all-knowing garbage man"* and the way it came completely out of nowhere. It has nothing to do with any of the previous comics and it will never be mentioned again and that kind of owns.

*good alternate title for Dominic Deegan classic.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Bucket Mongrelman #2 has a regular-style tail.
I think Snout is actually supposed to have a grotesque spine-tendril.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Arudak had never considered purchasing pain relief medication before and now he is eternally indebted to Snout, who is apparently smarter than him.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

"I hope you can trust me" followed by "you're the only friend i have right now" also comes across as super manipulative.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I like these stone statue guys at least, they're pretty cute.

In my personal Legacy of Dominic Deegan headcanon™ they're politely asking Snout what the gently caress he's doing but he can't hear them.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

I did see that coming.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Fat Dude Cum Skeleton is a much better indie comic.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The old DD thread was bad, don't be the old DD thread.
I mean this thread is also bad but don't make it worse.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Wait why doesn't she get a morning star instead of a sword then? That's a free Mookie-level joke right there.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

They're not a shared universe.

Hitmen for Destiny is his longest one and it's my favourite. It's one of his earliest works and it's notably a lot rougher, but it feels like it's brimming with crazy ideas that Thorsby has been cooking up in his brain for years.

Accidental Space Spy and Transdimensional Brain Chip take some extremely wacky concepts to their most extreme possible conclusions, but they end up feeling a bit half-baked story-wise for me.

It's so hard to recommend Thorsby's comics to people because of the art, but they absolutely rule and the art even starts to grow on you.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The shortest one is Lies, Sisters and Wives, which is just a 35 page comical farce.
Transdimensional Brain chip is the next shortest at 188 pages, then it goes Trixie, Accidental Space Spy and finally Hitmen for Destiny.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

It's extremely plausible that Mookie just forgot that those previous lines where in thought bubbles and that's very funny.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

He showed great personal growth by changing his worldview to a slightly different one that still allows him to slut shame and be a bigot (but this time he can claim he's pro-women).

Thankfully his readership and patreon support shrank accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

FlocksOfMice posted:

It's the DBZ style of combat, where you win because you yelled louder, were the good guy, and your laser beam was BIGGEST.

As opposed to... any interesting way of storytelling where you have stakes that mean anything and the character seems clever for figuring out a novel way of winning.

No, just "my stat is higher than yours, I WIN!" Like, it just makes for a deeply unsatisfying victory. Even in lovely fanfics, a character might win because they used this specific power or this sort of trick. Deegan just wins because "haha, MINDBLAST." It means nothing. It's literally described in the setting as just a manifestation of his force of will, but he doesn't even come across as a particularly self-assured, willful person, just someone who is aware he's a main character. gently caress, that's what it is, isn't it.

This is a metanarratively parasitized world and we're watching a Mary Sue virus infect the story and conquer it. This genre isn't shonen, it's cosmic horror. We see it with Celestro when he gets narratively corrupted by proximity to Deegan. Anything about who he was is ovewritten as a PERSON to suit Dommie's needs in a villain. His entire identity is destroyed and reshaped into a convenient counterpart for the Mary Sue parasite entity.

gently caress that's why Luna becomes incapable of thinking about herself except in relation to Dominick, her narrative identity has been CORRUPTED by this virus!

We were never watching the adventures of a silly seer destined to save the world, we were watching the late-stage infection of a fictional universe by a Mary Sue.

This makes Legacy work as a horror sequel too. Centuries after Dominic's (presumable) death, the curse lingers. Some random yokel living in the middle of nowhere just catches a glimpse of the name Dominic Deegan and it instantly becomes the focus of his entire existence. Even after his home is destroyed by a fellow Deegan devotee, he finds himself joining her. Why? Because even though she's incredibly untrustworthy and dangerous, there's a slim chance that she can help him learn more about the one thing that truly matters in this world: some guy called Dominic Deegan.

Even being dimly aware of his existence is enough to turn you into a fawning accessory to Dominic Deegan. He doesn't even have to be alive.
This sad little universe will revolve around him for eternity.