Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Personally, I like how at a distance of about 5 meters the female characters have absolutely no facial features and the male characters have about 3 seconds worth of doodling for their faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Dominic Deegan: He knows what he's doing is wrong

Alternatively, just "What he's doing is wrong"

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

For some reason the big DEAF label makes this one pop for me.

ToneDEAF

EmotionallyDEAF

I can't wait until Friday, when everyone else realizes that Snout tried to cheer them up by prodding them to do something only he was interested in and that's just as good as being there for them, so everything's fine.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

The United States
* Alabama
* Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California

This dialogue-free comic is about 80% words telling us poo poo we already know.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

CITY OF THE FIVE GATES SPORTS TEAM

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Okay, very funny you jokester, now post the real unedited comic.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Years ago, a friend linked me to a post, with the explanation that Mookie was doing a whole new comic with the hook that it was entirely without dialogue. I knew that would be a big leap for him, since that would require using subtle facial expressions to convey meaning, or frequently drawing hands for sign language, both things that were definitely out of his skillset at the end of Dominic Deegan. Still, it had been years since it ended, he might've worked really hard to improve himself in the meantime, and at the very least I might get some entertainment out of it.

The actual result was so bad I have to agree with the goons calling it anti-art. Instead of incredibly expressive faces, he went with his usual cartoonish expressions that only got more cartoonish as they went. He acknowledged sign language exists, but gave it the same amount of time and attention he gave to a harem anime gag. Things happened, but they didn't have any connection to the thing that happened before them. Though he managed to avoid the terrible thought process that led to him writing the original Stonewater storyline, it's easy to see that he's regressed as a writer, and while his benchmark as an artist was low I don't think he's progressed very far past it. He learned a few neat tricks with his editing software to make backgrounds more interesting, but his main tools are tracing, tracing, and more tracing. Whenever he could cut a corner, he did.

I don't want to get too deep into the meat of the story, since other people have done it better than I could as it came out, but I'll say that I came to it wanting him to succeed. I wanted to see the connections and progression that just weren't there. Generously you could see that the events in a chapter connect within themselves more often than not, but there's no connection between the chapters, with the exception of Arduak (Arudak? Orc Nazi), and the connection there doesn't speak all that well of Mookie either. What should have been a fairly simple Hero's Journey story was a series of things and ideas being handed to the main character because the author decided they'd earned it. If you could learn things because you fell asleep while reading a book, I suspect high schoolers wouldn't have as much trouble with assigned reading.

Mookie's veneration of books had holy symbols on their own was on full show here, too. You don't have to read them or study them, or even look into the context in which they were created, you just have to like books and carry one around and you're smart. This includes your own personal diary, which... Mookie forgot the villains have it, didn't he? He forgot the whole climax was in the dream realm, and that they have the actual, physical book. He probably thinks they were ultimately defeated, despite never establishing any sort of "If you die in the dream, you die for real" thing. It's abjectly clear that he refuses to plan anything, even a vague outline of the story, and that's to his own detriment. As a writer myself, if I start something I at least have a vague idea of where the start is, where the end is, and the path that it'll take to get there in my head. He didn't even have that much.

Maybe the dwarf comic will play more to his strengths with its more episodic nature. Without each chapter needing to connect, the chapters and comic as a whole might be stronger. I doubt it, though. He still wants to be surprised with every page, and since it's still tied in with his favorite barely-built world he won't be able to resist turning it into a grand epic and falling on his face. I'm rooting for him, though. I honestly want him to succeed and make something great, that surprises us like he's surprised with every page. If he doesn't, though, he'll find some new and spectacular way to fail. He won't acknowledge it or any criticism that reaches him about it, but it'll still be a magnificent trainwreck to watch. With one of the selling points he's saying being music in a soundless medium, I'm not holding my breath for success. Either way, though, I'll be entertained.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

After two weeks I hoped Mookie would just forget to upload the new comic, or decide that doing an entirely new thing was too much work and shelving it. It's not good. It's not going to be good, and it's not going to get better. He could have drifted off and just kept doing his Patreon stuff for a bit of extra money and leave it at that, but no. Well, might as well buckle in for several more years of poo poo!

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Mookie read that "show, don't tell" was a CIA op and is trying his damnedest to reject it.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Mookie I don't know if anyone's told you this before but it's okay to have a story where the main character isn't directly connected to a Deegan. We'll still understand that it's the Legacy of Dominic Deegan because of the name and because it's set in the same world. They don't all have to be Deegan-adjacent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I'm fairly impressed, shocked even, by this development. We know, from years of reading his poo poo, that Mookie is incapable of guile or coming up with a way to convincingly deceive other people on his own. That means he went out and did actual, no poo poo research on cold reading. He wanted to include something he was unfamiliar with in a story and learned about it. Even if it was just scanning the Wikipedia page that's more than he's done for any story or concept before this.