Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The whole concept and execution of the Heart of Magic is probably more influenced by Full Metal Alchemist. There the source of all alchemy is called Truth, and if you see into the door of truth you gain great knowledge at an equally great cost. It wasn't long after FMA: Brotherhood finished its US release that we learned the King in Dominic Deegan saw the heart of magic and lost his sight as a result, and just like in Full Metal the source of magic is represented by a big door with great knowledge behind it.

I will say though, I'm interested to see what Mookie does with characters he doesn't blatantly adore from the start. So much of Dominic Deegan was influenced by his love of Dominic and character arcs would shift to accommodate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm willing to bet that in true Dominic Deegan fashion, Dominic himself will be forgotten to time. A small, nerdy footnote in the grand story of the other more jockish heroes. So Snout seeing Dominic's name in a page he got from the wind is like when you see a car commercial and suddenly begin to notice the same car ads everywhere.

The pacing is severely hurt by not being 8 panels, 5 days a week.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Put me down for "Dominic Deegan is alive in some way"

I’m gonna raise you that Dominic is technically dead, but when he saw “everything” once he lost his magic he saw something that made him want to puppetmaster Snout and that dead woman together.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh that was never a question, the inktober he references was mostly made up of blood (or ink as he puts it, in one the ink is red and she’s rising from a tub) covered witches.

I prefer the snouts to that profile of the witch (but not Snout’s snout).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is his art getting worse or is it just because he's attempting to go outside of his comfort zone of side view talking heads?

If I had to guess, he’s taking his original style, which heavily cribbed from the worst parts of anime, and trying to apply more detail on top. You can still see the framework of the snout but now he’s trying to add a bunch of anatomy on top without studying structure first. Doing a silent story was kind of a bad idea since it relies solely on your art, and this is Dominic Deegan.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Guess I should've known by "silent story" he meant no text bubbles. Less Journey and more The Quiet Man.

SupSuper posted:

The face close-ups are really bad.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
At this point does the story really need to be silent? Could you not, say, trim all the fat that's used to convey they aren't talking and then put speech bubbles around the text without losing any information?

and a lil friend.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SupSuper posted:

Or he could've just skipped all the words:

Like the ship has been in every other page so it's not exactly subtle, but it's an attempt.

This was my other train of thought, and it's such a marked improvement that shaves off pages of useless comic while adding a sense of mystery and suspense. Dominic Deegan as a whole is a testament to why you should never go with your first draft.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Love stripping down and laying stock still on my hardwood floor with no cushion or cover to speak of. As I always do.

This is gonna be a magical journey.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Surprised no one has said this yet, but anyone want to take bets that they bone?

There's no reality where they don't bone. I assume that'll be the moment Mookie gives Snout the horrifying monster dick he should have. Rather than this salaryman penis surrounded by misshapen animal parts.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: Not So Clothes Minded

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I can kinda understand being frustrated with the pacing here, in 8 panels we see Snout carrying out one action (2 if you count waking up, which only takes 1 panel compared to the 7 it takes to open his diary). In a book you wouldn’t really notice since the next page is right there, but this page has to hold readers’ attention for 2 days. I vaguely remember it being assumed Mookie dragged things out for his Friday cliffhangers, and that’s why there were pages where things moved so slow, but I think he’s just not that great at pacing for webcomics.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Ague Proof posted:

Didn't he brag about always writing for the current comic without ever thinking of what would happen in the next one? Because otherwise it would be boring for him?

He did. I’m willing to bet it’s cause cause Akira Toriyama famously doesn’t script ahead, and since everyone loves DBZ they will love Dominic Deegan too :smug:

(Akira Toriyama has editors)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

You know I didn't know that Akira Toriyama worked this way and now Mookie's entire arc as a webcomic artist suddenly makes so much sense. He even copies Toriyama's thing of starting off as a gag a day type and ending up in a dramatic fight for the universe.

Of course, even though Toriyama didn't plan head he could also rely on real life for inspiration - from the origins of Dragon Ball as being inspired by Journey to the West to his inclusion of the Red Ribbon Army whose subdivisions wore Soviet/Nazi/famous paramilitary uniforms and wielded weapons from real-world wars, his stories started with grounding in things that gelled with the real world which added to the reader's experience.

On the other hand Dominic Deegan had power metal.

It's kinda funny that a lot of elements of classic Dominic Deegan translate to Dragonball elements.

Sigfried -> Vegeta (But instead of realizing the story potential and fan appeal in Sigfried Mookie cannabalized his character cause he didn't like him)

March Across Maltak -> Namek Saga

Supergreg -> Great Saiyaman

And of course, Legacy of Dominic Deegan is Dragonball GT

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
If on Friday you thought "drat, I really hope he isn't about to throw a bunch of words at us to recap what we just saw." Well...

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

SardonicTyrant posted:

:tenbux: The last or last-ish panel will have dialogue as a joke.

He already did this in the original wild edge story though.

Bort never spoke again. I vaguely remember Mookie saying it was just a one-off joke and Bort actually can't speak.

By the way, none of Bort's "Can haz cheezburger" signage has aged well.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Ague Proof posted:

He did speak again.

Whoa, I totally forgot Bort was inexplicably there for the final battle (Even though I had just gone back to remind myself how Dominic lost his alchemy second sight to the door of truth heart of magic). Weird that Bort forgot he could talk.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Drunk Theory posted:

As I recall, editing in dick-punch dwarf actually increased the threat Dominic faced at that point. The eldritch end boss was that lame.

Yeah but that was by design.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I'm glad we can focus on the real reason we're all here. Speaking of which:

I'm not gonna lie to you; I already peeked at Friday's comic and we're going nowhere fast. It's only 4 panels.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

Oh my god I thought he'd just not been buffering it but I'd not realised his dumbass site honours the /2019/07/ for already-released comics and that you had to move to 2019/08/ for the next ones.

I thought the same thing, then I realized "I'm a dumbass, what would I do?" Real Ovaltine of a prize for my efforts.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

:geno:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

The elbow spikes are really bothering me for some reason. Imagine them catching on poo poo. Rip your fuckin’ skin off!

Knowing Dominic Deegan, it's only a matter of time before Snout violently murders something with it. Just like Quilt and Bort before him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Very deliberate hit job on the bird by the ship’s pilot.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

Now I think about it shouldn't the bird's body be visible between him and the ship?

Look at that bird’s pose and the angle of that panel and you tell me if Mookie could draw that.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tee'd up for the Yamcha pose and ya whiffed it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Deegan’s cat, but a distant relative who’s somehow just a catgirl despite this only being 200 years later.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
3 weeks of looking for the ship and the second we get to it not only do we not learn anything new, but the ship went back to where we started. Please...plot something.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Emrikol posted:

I can't wait to find out why the witch wanted this.

I bet it’s a fakeout and this is a tractor or healing beam or somesuch. At least something happened for even one page.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Ague Proof posted:

The witch left the house.

Surprise.

I was giving Mookie the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the witch didn’t literally ask a total stranger to find a ship with no further context, knowing full well that the pilot wants her dead. It’d be a level of hack writing rare for even Mookie.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

This is what I assumed from the get-go. Which is why I find it hilarious that it blew his house up.

I feel you have forgotten the depths of writing hell we survived before. My liver hasn't.

Ah Ha, but a tractor beam that violently destroys the surrounding area is exactly the kind of dumb poo poo to expect. And behold!

Wait, no, don't strip the unconscious woman, what're you doing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

PMush Perfect posted:

That moment really summed up DD, didn't it? "Instead of making Dominic better, I'll just make everyone else worse."

It's funnier in context, where Dominic is literally showing everyone the terrible thing Sigfried had done to get them to hate him. It was a character assassination both in and out of universe.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
At the very least it helps fill time between some of the contentless updates.

Every closeup of Snout is so, bad. And it actually kind of sours what would be a well done, quiet scene in a silent comic.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don’t think we’ve ever had a sad moment in DD that wasn’t immediately undercut by a dumb joke or the characters shaking it off.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
No please, don't recap what we just saw, it's so unnecessary for your medium. Please recon-

:smith:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Tesseraction posted:

The biggest question to me is how high did he leap into the air to make that pose - surely he should have dived horizontally not upwards like a fuckin' bouncing ball.

This really bothered me too, and I finally realized it's just really bad case of conveying motion and space. In the second panel Snout is done bathing and on land putting his pants on, then he sees the paper floating where he just was, so he jumps back in the lake to get it while breaking the poo poo out of the 180 rule.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Nuns with Guns posted:

So did Mookie decide to draw Snout with a dog muzzle to give his main character a visible facial profile, and reduce the number of times people commented on how all the humans look like they're wearing a Mortal Kombat-esque ninja face mask?

Well he absolutely didn’t stop to consider that you can’t just put a human shaped mouth under a dog’s nose and lips. I’m half expecting there to be a dog mouth just above his human mouth and that’s why it looks so off.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Zerilan posted:

if Nintendo can do it with Lucario mookie can do it here

Yeah but, Lucario and a lot of other cartoon animals stylize the mouth to make it easier to animate and look more appealing

In other media too the dogs tend to have the snouts that are just tubes with a regular ol cartoon mouth under them while Snout has the weird lil lip flaps on top of a human mouth on top of a Deegan snout. It's like, far from the worst offense DD's ever had but there's so many closeups of Snout looking like an Ubisoft model glitched out.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Oh my god are we really spending a week’s worth or more of pages watching him make a new shirt.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Who What Now posted:

TBF that's only two pages and then a recap diary page.

Imagine Bender’s SOS from Futurama but in webcomic format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Mercifully the new shirt saga ended in only a week's worth of pages.

Now begins the cave renovation saga.