Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
That the protagonist is called "Snout" is just perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

That reminds me, what was that webcomic where everyone was super wrinkly and the proportions made it look like it was drawn by a xenomorph that had heard descriptions of humans? Some kind of bee super heroine.

Once Stung, by "Firebrand128" and "40 oz". A marvel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

...is the dead lady going to matter at all?

Being dead is what makes her matter.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I believe everyone actually backing this kickstarter is secretly hoping the 50K stretch goal is not reached.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
big dong, to the right

that witch is dead, to the left

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

I do feel not enough is being made of that booty shot of her given the horrors of dongrel in the last panel.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Synthbuttrange posted:

Here, have an alien god.
Toriyama, that's just a sphynx cat.

Is that supposed to be a contradiction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz6rcfLfXM0

This is a translation of the original in French. It's missing the last part where they explain the whole thing was a classroom's assignment to make a spoof of conspiracy videos and expose how they work.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Writing my diary while naked makes me crosseyed every time!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The funniest fact is that Mookie got kicked out of the D&D group in which he played Dominic Deegan because he was too annoying about it.

Mookie posted:

MERCENARY SOULS. It’s because of this 3.5 D&D game that I had a webcomic to put online. Seventeen years(!) ago my friends invited me to be a part of their ongoing, original D&D adventure, which they called “Merc Souls.” I rolled up a diviner called Dominic Deegan and had the time of my life. I became obsessed with Dominic. I talked about him all the time. I made up little sketches of him. I even doodled comics about him, which were to become the very first comics of Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire. Sadly, I became so enamored with Dominic that my friends removed me from the game. I never did get to find out how their long-running campaign ended, but I did get to start my career in webcomics because of it. My thanks and apologies to my old friends, for them inspiring me and for my nearly ruining their game. Oops.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

Remind me again why he was demanding an underage lad had to get nude in front of him again?

Other way around, he was demanding the underage lad to not be upset about him being naked.

It was vaguely justified in that his clothes had been destroyed just before in a fight... except that it was all happening in the "mindscape" where he had previously demonstrated he could conjure stuff up just by thinking about it, so if Mookie did remember his own comic DD could have taken one second to reclothe himself. But Mookie had thought of the "clothed-minded" pun so this took precedence over everything else.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
she's a witch, maybe ink is her blood becuz magic

makes u think

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elysiume posted:

Is that beam not supposed to be the ship's trail? It doesn't even come close to the building that it was just hovering over. Is it just a laser beam that shoots out of the back of the ship?

Some sort of afterburner dealie, probably. It's Mookie, it doesn't need to make sense.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SardonicTyrant posted:

mongrolfolk (was that their actual name? Because yikes)

You can blame this one on D&D.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This thread deserves this

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A very timely shirt.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gotta love plots where the protagonist does nothing, has no agency, and the plot just falls into their lap through no effort of their own.

Wait, I mean hate. I hate those plots.

Well, it is a sequel to Dominic Deegan, so it's only natural that the same underlying theme of "only villains work to achieve their goals, true heroes just wait for the plot to drop success into their waiting lap".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
This could be funny. Having the clumsy and oblivious guy bumbling out of every trap without even noticing they're there is a strong comedic gimmick. Mookie is just a very inept storyteller.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man it's astounding how much better the art is when he's drawing literally a bag for a head instead of his usual cargo-cult anime snouts.

And speaking of snouts, on these patreon preview profiles, I guess it's "good" that he's trying something different but it just emphasizes how much his art doesn't work. Those things aren't noses. I don't know what they are, but I know they can't be noses.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mikl posted:

Can I just say that while that library is a neat setpiece, having the books out there exposed to the elements is a terrible idea?

the books are magically protected from damage by magick from the Wild Edge! obviously

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mors Rattus posted:

So, like, how often is "lost pages" a problem for anyone

In a world with open-air libraries, surprisingly often.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Snout's expression looks like he's trying to pass gas without making noise.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No Josephine Baker banana skirt, 0/10

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
IIRC, just some comment about how studying death made him want to enjoy life while it lasted, so he indulged in food until he died, became a lich, and then wore a fatsuit to troll Dominic Deegan.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If I had money to waste on being mean to people, I'd send Mookie a copy of Comès's graphic novel Silence, which is about a deaf and mute protagonist who meets a witch and who keeps a slate on which to communicate with poorly-spelled phrases. Though I don't believe an English-language version exists.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ague Proof posted:

Is Mookie taking inspiration from this comic.

That seems unlikely since, again, I don't think it was ever made available on English-speaking markets. I doubt Mookie would even want to try to write something as gut-punching as it. I just thought of the few superficial similarities and was amused by the contrast.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Day 27 gag is cute. Not especially original, but cute.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

I think the joke might be that Snout bumbles through everything with blind luck like the archetypal Fool.

That's what he did with the shapeless monster earlier, but here Snout approached a foe knowingly, tried a first plan that didn't work, then a second plan that did. So that was bumbling by through blind luck, it was bumbling through a plan through sheer enemy incompetence.

In doing that, he committed two narrative sins, the first being the narrative repetition to both show a plan and then show it being pulled off as planned, the other is in the plot hole of that plan being completely loving stupid.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Stonewater's gonna rescue and revive the Ink Witch... with his dick!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I just discovered that goatkcd no longer seems to have its "sfw" variant.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

PetraCore posted:

Why couldn't an orc have done so if it was so simple?

because Luna was the Chosen One because she had tusks like the orcs...

... yeah.

The "mighty whitey" trope was in full swing throughout that arc.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

What was great about that is Siegfried was popular because he had an "arc" with "character growth"

It's telling that Mookie's reaction to "solve" this "problem" wasn't to give more depth to Dominic, but to remove depth from Siggy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I think the tree counts for "only fun character is supposed to be bad", because it was the closest thing we had to a fun character.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

AI Dungeon 2
AI Dungeon 2 is a completely AI generated text adventure built with OpenAI's largest GPT-2 model. It's a first of it's kind game that allows you to enter and will react to any action you can imagine.

Everything in bold I wrote, everything else is generated.

[...]

> Say "I just saved your life, you should be thankful to me!"

You say "I just saved your life, you should be thankful to me!" Then you throw
your load in the girl's face and run off laughing.

Looks like it's been used by a lot of pervs with rape fantasies if that's the kind of things it has learned to generate.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zinkraptor posted:

and so on. I really appreciate the touch of them sending over an officer to let me know that they'll send over an officer later.

Myself, I am intrigued by the fact that the robber's name has, in turn, its own name. Nameception.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Dear journal,

Today I learned that Dominic Deegan, who I only care about because he gave some books to the open-air library that is pretty much the only thing I have in my life, was, 200 years ago, booped on the nose by an orc. So exciting!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
he's going to meet, and gently caress, Dominic Deegan

and that will be the answer to what happened to Dominic Deegan 200 years ago: he wandered into the dreamscape, where he was hosed by a mongrelman from the future (dreams are unstuck in time)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Invisible Clergy posted:

Celesto came back one final time and staged another false flag operation against the king of the country they live in (I can't remember his name, but it was something germanic. Johann? David, maybe?)

David Johann, aka King DJ.

I mean, of course the Dance Commander could only serve a DJ king. It makes sense if you think about it.

Anyway, the villainous profile of King DJ was that he was an orphan, and blind, and despite these handicaps he managed to study magic, become arch-mage, and finally become king. All through tireless personal effort, sheer strength of will, and a drive to ever improve himself.

The total antithesis of a hero like Dominic Deegan, who was the son of an arch-mage and a rock-star (because of course there were rock-stars in that setting), and who got a cushy job at his mom's university through the sheer power of nepotism, and who never did anything proactive to further his goals, merely waiting instead for the plot to drop in his lap in the form of a sudden vision or something.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Traditionally, heroes were farm boys because until the late 19th century, 99% of boys were farm boys.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tesseraction posted:

While true, he did originally do a week in advance if he was going on holiday, meaning we could binge them all at once if you knew the GIF's (yes he uploaded deegan in .gif format until this LEGACY arc)

Better than JPEG since GIF gives lossless compression, and it's not like he needs truecolor for his black-and-white doodles.