Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

ya know I've never read the original comic

It was so much fun to mock with a group.

The art was horrible, but not eye-searing or incomprehensibly so (usually). The writing sucked major rear end, but not enough to be unintelligible. There was enough sincerity and dedication from the author, but it was also incredibly lazy. Terrible things happened frequently, but they weren't the same terrible things -- there was always something new to surprise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Memories.

I'll never forget Bumper throwing his just-severed hands at his pursuer and squirting blood into his eyes in order to escape.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Brought To You By posted:

How had the art not improved at all? It's like the comic never ended and Mooki just got put into stasis.

His art stagnated and he saw no need to improve. One of the major themes of Dominic Deegan was coding passivity as heroic and effort as villainous.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 14, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The character will magically heal from their disabilities once it becomes too difficult for Mookie to write around.

That or he'll start showing thought bubbles and make every other character telepathic, like Jon from Garfield.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
That was Bort. He could speak but he was incoherent, more so than every other Deegan character.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

:laffo: I just remembered there's a racial element to this.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mookie has now resorted to thought bubbles.

One more step to them just speaking to each other normally.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

quote:

You may have noticed the full-frontal (mongrel)male nudity in today’s comic. Expect more of that, both male and female, in The Legacy of Dominic Deegan. Six years have passed since I made the last comic for Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, and in that time I’ve rearranged my priorities when it comes to what I want represented in my work. For this new series, I won’t be censoring or obscuring nude forms and I’m doing away with graphic violence.

I was a much younger man when I started Oracle for Hire back in 2002. I loved splattery gore and body horror. I squealed at the chance to play in gory fantasy, ripping bodies apart and gleefully drawing blood-splatter all over every panel I could. I was a real gore-hound, so to speak, and indulged that in the medium of comics. But, as time went on, I got those gory spectacles out of my system and began to notice what we readily censor and what we eagerly embrace.

We tend to accept graphic violence without much thought, but the presentation of a nude body is almost unthinkable without a content advisory. As the years have rolled on I’ve noticed how accepted graphic violence has become in most mainstream media, to the point where I find myself going, “Oh wow, they went that far on TV? They blew that dude’s face half off his head!” But things like breasts, buttocks, and genitals? Things like loving, consensual sex? Unthinkable. Dead and dismembered bodies? Horrific violence? Now those are acceptable for modern audiences without warning.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy indulging in ridiculous splatter. Mortal Kombat 11 is one of my favorite games these days. But doing The Legacy means doing things differently. It means challenging myself to make something I’ve never made before, and to approach comics in a way that’s outside my comfort zone. And maybe, in this case, to challenge some preconceived notions as to what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

So consider this your “content advisory” for The Legacy of Dominic Deegan. There’s going to be nudity. It’s going to be uncensored but I’m going to do my best to keep it “natural” instead of “explicit” or “gratuitous.” There isn’t going to be any graphic violence. Like I said before, I got that out of my system during the Oracle for Hire years, and you’re welcome to revisit all those splattery comics any time you like. There may even be loving, consensual sex scenes if the story calls for them. We’ll see what happens.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 15, 2020

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Dominic was raped as a joke.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tesseraction posted:

Why was he wearing clothes previously if he's apparently comfortable to go walking nude in broad daylight?

At that point, Mookie hadn't decided he wanted to be 'mature.'

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan posted:

I can kinda understand being frustrated with the pacing here, in 8 panels we see Snout carrying out one action (2 if you count waking up, which only takes 1 panel compared to the 7 it takes to open his diary). In a book you wouldn’t really notice since the next page is right there, but this page has to hold readers’ attention for 2 days. I vaguely remember it being assumed Mookie dragged things out for his Friday cliffhangers, and that’s why there were pages where things moved so slow, but I think he’s just not that great at pacing for webcomics.

Didn't he brag about always writing for the current comic without ever thinking of what would happen in the next one? Because otherwise it would be boring for him?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan posted:

He already did this in the original wild edge story though.

Bort never spoke again. I vaguely remember Mookie saying it was just a one-off joke and Bort actually can't speak.

By the way, none of Bort's "Can haz cheezburger" signage has aged well.

He did speak again.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
She'll probably cure him.

Writing is hard.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tesseraction posted:

And the dwarf

An ancient necromancer enlisted the help of a dwarf to punch Dominic Deegan in the balls in order to save the world. This may have contributed to Dominic's infertility.

GrossMurpel posted:

That in-depth knowledge of the mookie canon

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Don't be so clothes-minded.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"I guess she's some kind of... Ink Witch? Is that a thing?"

"WHERE IS THE INK WITCH"

Astounded at Mookie trying out a story without dialog then resorting to books, ink, diaries and an ink-spewing space ship within a dozen comics.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan posted:

I bet it’s a fakeout and this is a tractor or healing beam or somesuch. At least something happened for even one page.

The witch left the house.

Surprise.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
They can't call me sexist if I include flaccid mongrel dick.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Didn't Demon-Siegfried eat his dad's soul? It was stupid.

Was the Karnak / Siegfried plot ever resolved, I can't remember.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He was relatively complex for a character written by Mookie. When his fans liked Siegfried more than Dominic, Mookie made him extremely racist, using the orc version of the n-word and lynching a family of orcs to impress his dad. Oh and he retroactively had an affair with his werewolf best friend's girlfriend.

Siegfried was a jock, and Dominic Deegan runs on 80s High School movie logic.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 25, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Drunk Theory posted:

Even when he got dwarf dick punched he was in no danger, as Luna immediately threatens the dwarf with death in reprisal.

He wasn't in danger because Rillian paid the dwarf to punch him in the balls.

To save the word.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Szark was bisexual, but became gay after he redeemed himself. By... [remembers] a demon possesed him when he was a child which made him enjoy pain and suffering and he moved to Sin City where he lived a decadent and evil lifestyle with his promiscuous sorcerer wife... who roofied Luna (her sister) so she could mind-control Bumper, a thief and one of the comic's only black characters, into raping and murdering her. He later garroted the witch and left her body rear end up in the air, a punworthy occasion.

Wait what the gently caress :stare:

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 25, 2019

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mors Rattus posted:

We didn’t know Bumper was black for a long as time tho because in black and white he looked the same as everyone else.

It was a plot point.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

DOWN
TOWN
EROSSUS

I never noticed the 'eros' part...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He went to Eldariot to die.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fister Roboto posted:

IT'S BEEN
ONE WEEK
SINCE YOU
LOOKED AT
ME

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

:chanpop:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Tesseraction posted:

He is Very Stereotypical Metalhead but more to the point I don't think he's aged at all since he started posting his face alongside the comic. Looks exactly like he did 15 years ago.

Life imitates art.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's an eviction notice.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Terracciano Ignota.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
What word did Mookie add 'v' to, I forget.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

PoptartsNinja posted:

How does the paper know Snout's name? The audience knows Snout's name so of course the paper does too.

It's like the comic is written by someone without a theory of mind.

(It's like, not that it is)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Hello Snout, I'm the Ink Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything