Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

As someone who knows nothing about this comic but has been enjoying this thread: Why is he wearing a striped scarf in one panel but none of the others?
Is the Shuma-Gorath knock-off using old panels to make bad things re-occur to him like a flashback, or is this just utterly visually incomprehensible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Isn't this, like, a Looney Tunes gag, like last time? Where's the joke for the last 2 pages? It's just, "oh it really is dangerous, and now he's scared". At least the blood-fang place had the whole being oblivious of the monster gag, as bad as it was. This just has nothing.

It's kind of worse than nothing, because of the whiplash and failure to connect. Why is this horrible monster surrounded by signs supposed to terrify us, while the previous monster was a series of poorly-rendered physical gags? The lack of consistency makes this baffling rather than genuine, combined with the fact that this could as easily have been the plot beat in the blood horror sequence and that would have spared us some agonizingly uninteresting sight gags.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The Little Death posted:

I can't believe this comic has had 2 dream sequences and neither one of them has had any plot meaning. Literally dongs in a white void twice. nothing communicated to the audience, not even interesting visuals.

Batman's Shameful Secret > The Legacy of Dominic Deegan: dongs in a white void

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

What are the odds the author got really into lucid dreaming?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Also, no dialogue.

Just a speech bubble coming out of the book that Snout is reading which explicitly says what he’d be saying, and then the weird tentacle beast has what it wants to say already written down on a form letter.

Really using the constraints to produce interesting storytelling.

...if the rest of the comic were better, I’d like the last two panels. It’s interesting to see a character respond to the idea that they have to suddenly travel far from home by going to their lovely house and curling up, because they’re afraid of leaving. Except that the whole house-explosion thing earlier totally ruins it. If this were competently told, all the library stuff would have happened before the house got blown up by a laser, so Snout had to go sleep in a cave and realize that following up on the clues was worth doing.

Also have the ship show up to abduct after he finishes the page collection, also have the page be less bathetic, and maybe have a magical diagram?

Something funny I’ve noticed is that this is basically an incredibly bad version of the 19th century literacy narrative, where bookishness and engagement with the written word are core to subject formation (something that carries on in 20th c lit as well) except that the author clearly doesn’t have any theory about why books are good, he just likes them. Kinda. So you get this, where the written word has become a pointless cipher for dialogue rather than an actual thing in itself worth engaging with.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Not to defend Mookie, but it’s possible there’s multiple ink users, and the ship was made by an enemy ink wizard to capture the ink witch. It’s still ridiculous that she managed to crash it right by Snout, along with everything else in the story being badly structured.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean, the more major characters can make ink words in the air, the more dialogue free it can be!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How did she miss by like ten feet, yet Snout hasn’t moved at all, based on his clear stationary stance?

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 31, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How is ‘she’s blind’ any less fanfic than ‘idk maybe two people can do ink magic’?

It’s not like there being more ink magic will in any way improve this mess, just five more excuses for the kind of float ink drawing he’s clearly into right now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Well the font size explains why the ‘book’ has about five words per page.

Snout’s real talent is writing smaller than 40 pt font.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Cat Mattress posted:

So it was her ship to begin with. This is so loving stupid.

This comic is so much worse than I could ever have expected.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

This is genuinely terrible, I'm in pain. Why in the gently caress does anyone care about what happened to Dom Deegs 200 years ago? If she was stealing the... I'll be generous and say three full paragraphs of the document? Why didn't she just read the three paragraphs and leave behind the paper?

Books can be read and then recreated from the information within. And this isn't a book, it's a loving pamphlet.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

It might be late to complain about this but I will anyway: why does inkwich's handwriting look the same as Snout's? I know it's clear in this comic who's talking communicating, but since this is the dodge for not having dialogue, I'm foreseeing this becoming an issue very soon.

He's using different MS Paint pen tools I think? Snout has slightly scratchier lines, or else I'm imagining it, like he's writing with a pen while she's writing with a brush. Barely. Otherwise they are identical.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

(squint)

If you say so. The point is without the formatting, I don't think you could tell them apart. It's such an obvious way to differentiate voice and even plays to his strengths. I think he's still hand-lettering these? I looked at the crossbar on the Hs and they don't all look identical within a character's lines. Mookie never misses a chance to disappoint.

Yeah, I wasn't defending him. If he thinks 'identical handwriting and ALMOST identical implement' is a visible difference, he's not just an idiot and a hack, he's a smug idiot and a hack.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Invisible Clergy posted:

Bro what comic have you been reading

God that filler is terrible. Not once has Mookie drawn those decorative bell bottoms on Snout's pants.

Why do his pants have a cloth codpiece built into them. He definitely made them himself, so why did he do that? Was he sent to the Mild Edge for being a weird clothes pervert? (That very visible treasure trail also points in that direction.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm telling you he's reading this thread and loving with us

Permanently ruining my comic to own the goons.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I... what is this gag supposed to be??? Is the ravine fed up with the sign too? That's what the 'throw thing in pit, pit spits it out' gag is supposed to be about, but there's no logic of 'haha gently caress SIGNS am I right' that would make any sense out of this.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

From an art standpoint, I actually did like how he played with the medium by having the Beast’s tentacles gum up the panels... but then he also committed the cardinal sin of making the eldritch abomination subservient to a person.

This is fine though? A well-written human antagonist using forces beyond their comprehension is a good plot arc and doesn’t have to directly lead to them getting eaten. To point towards Negarestani or DOOM, fossil fuels are a cosmic horror but fuel execs are more or less in control of them.

I assume this being DD the whole thing was terrible nonsense though.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

That thing about 'he wears more than one shirt, he must have a complex internal life' is just... my god.

Also 'dance, puppets, dance' is precisely the kind of grandstanding wannabe-supervillain-but-also-extremely-convinced-of-own-moral-superiority joke that nerds (used to?) make. And that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog satirized. When you're less self-aware than Joss Whedon you have some serious brainworms.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Is that man a Mongrelfolk or is he just drawn nightmarishly?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Could be he changed his mind since the concept drawings.

Also lol I just realized the first and last panel are copy/pasted. Holy poo poo going digital has made him lazy.

Concept drawings nothing, she used ink from it to do ink writing on the page.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Yeah as someone who joined this thread without having read/witnessed Dominic Deegan I’m amazed how much worse these pages of it are than the already execrable Legacy.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

Read Dominic Deegan.

What if I love myself, though? Not enough to stop reading this thread, but, enough not to do THAT.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

...I want to believe these descriptions can’t be real, and yet I know in my heart that Mookie is at least that un-self-aware.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The Little Death posted:

Joe Slowboat I want you to know that Stonewater is a greenskinned magical native american and his name means he has ice powers. That's a big reveal. After it's revealed that he's a rapist iirc.

Is this the infamous jazzhands rapist, or another rapist?

(I think I first learned about Dominic Deegan during the Strong Female Protagonist thread's final evolution into pure mock and horror.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Exactly the kind of person I'd expect to be working with a cringey goofball who calls himself Mookie

That bio made my soul hemorrhage.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I gotta say, this guy managed an amazing cross section of "I don't actually care about science fiction that was written since I was 12" and "I am unbearable."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

This is just becoming a D&D party. That bard will be introduced soon.

What class could Snout possibly be?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

Thing is, it could still effectively be “dialogueless” if Snout still can’t understand what everyone is saying... because how they speak is dramatically different from how he’s always sounded words out in his head. Like, he thinks it’s Chaucer-era pronunciations.

Chaucer nothing, why would he associate any sounds with any words?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I imagine the extremely nonstandard face shapes and expressions of Mookie’s art would also pose a challenge, not to mention Snout’s only known contact before the story began was a weird tentacle creature.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think the guy is wildly overselling his extremely standard and deeply uninteresting American Comics style, but it’s perfectly competent art.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Wait is that the exact same 'bumps into one-winged mutant who then flies off erratically' gag and panel from earlier?

I'm in awe of how bad this comic is. It keeps getting, impossibly, worse.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Safari Disco Lion posted:

The Ink Witch fits, like, every possible definition of a narcissistic, manipulative fake "best friend" type using Snout for her own ends. Snout has basically no understanding or context for the outside world and real relationships, she's hosed him over a bunch of times while begging him to help her, there's a TON of evidence that she has some nefarious scheme in mind for whatever the gently caress they're searching for, alienates anyone who's genuinely kind to Snout and helps him out, possibly used her tits to manipulate him as well, and pulls the "I just hope you can still trust me" card. Everything about her is awful.

She’s based on the author’s wife, so, I’m assuming all of that is more or less unintentional.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I’m pretty sure we had someone quoting a blog post where he said the Ink Witch was based, at least visually, on his wife?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

How did the Ink Witch get her brush from behind Snout to in front of him in the space of a reaction, did it clip through him because Mookie's collision physics are terrible? That's all I can imagine now.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Does Mookie only have one ‘surprised and frightened’ facial expression for all characters? Because the witch and the orc just had the exact same reaction down to the anime face shadow, and it’s something that would have been an ok gag if animated and if that kind of tone fit into the comic at all and if them having the same expressions was jarring enough to have an effect other than ‘mild unease.’

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

"That Mean Guy" is also just such an incredibly weird way of phrasing it. Like they all know he's mean, not because of anything else they could say about him, but because he's mean.

I found it hard to believe that the author really has no theory of mind for his characters but I've come to believe it.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Snout is a fantasy about being a Good Guy despite all the kicks life gives him. It's a transparent fantasy from someone who isn't really convinced he's a genius anymore, and has seen his career settle into a comfortable groove, and who isn't trying to impress people with how smart he is - but still wants adoration.

And in this case, that adoration is being a supernaturally patient, decent, Good Boyfriend type that all his fans online will be so nice about and clearly like and want good things for. It's a softer, less obvious fantasy, but it's absolutely a one-note self-insert kind of thing.

It's the fantasy of being soft and likable and unthreatening... and wanting to be sexually desirable as a result. So, Snout is a softboy.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

What really stands out to me is that the basic beats aren't terrible (just generic), except for the 'Void Angels' getting annoyed that they can't beat 'bookworms' - I mean, really, having alien space mercenaries be biased against nerds precisely like our Earth Jocks (which also don't really exist)... it's all very Mookie, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm reading ahead a bit and I'm already regretting this. Most of it so far is just bland and rote, not really funny-bad in the Mookie way. There's some dumb stuff in the next issue, but the next few after that are way less interesting so I'll probably make their entries shorter. Hopefully later chapters get goofier.

There’s always the interlude that Mookie did the art for, isn’t there?

Also what really stands out is that this is ‘green lantern space opera’ which has been done before but, y’know, not super often? And yet it’s somehow more generic than ‘green lantern fights criminals on Earth.’