Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Wow, this sure is... something. Is it weird that I am actually kind of fascinated by the new comic? You never know what kind of weird nothing is going to happen next. I am actually asking myself "Where is Ink Witch?", because wasn't Mookie being horny for her the entire reason he created this comic?

Many thanks for the Dominic Deegan summaries. I read part of it years ago and gave up on it during on of those arcs where nothing happened, but hell if I know what it was. I've definitely forgotten a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh, I saw that. I'm still curious on when she's making her comeback, because if she doesn't, that kind of proves the critics right and we can't have that.

Maybe now Zombiewife will be the third part of the magic dream trinity thing, instead of Arudak.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GreenMetalSun posted:

Something else is that I think on some level, Mookie understands that 'rich white woman attempts to frame poor black man for rape' and 'bullying disabled and/or gay people' are bad things for a person to do, he just lacks the ability to approach the topic with nuance, respect for the victim(s), or tact. I truly feel that no one should have to censor themselves, but the dude needs to have a critical eye for what topics are going to land gracefully in a gag-a-day comic.

You know how there's a small group of sycophants who never clued in how bad the comic was? My best friend in late middle/early high school was one of them. I keenly remember the 'Bumper is black!' reveal, because I remember her trying to frame it to me in social justice terms and ranting about 'Hey, did you know that there are a whole bunch of people online who are mad that Bumper is black?' and 'Hey, did you know that there are a ton of stupid people who didn't know from the beginning that Bumper is black?'.

Girl, how could anyone have figured that out? All the characters have the exact same face/body.

I sort of regret sitting her down and trying to explain to her why people didn't like how it was handled (though I'm sure there were people being racist about it, that was not the majority opinion by far), because she stopped talking about the comic to me after that. Which was fine at the time, because it meant I no longer had to read it so she could talk to me about it. Now, I sort of want to know how all of this was filtered through the lens of a superfan.

Until that storyline, I was convinced that Bumper was a white girl.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TheHan posted:

No we’re both wrong, even less is happening.

Ok, the whole legacy has been like this but it’s so annoying how the Wednesday update is always just a transition page between Monday and Friday. We already saw him take an ink dive on Monday, he’ll presumedly talk to the Ink Witch on Friday, what is the Wednesday page for! We haven’t learned anything new, it isn’t showing us anything we haven’t already seen, it’s just a whole page dedicated to one panel of content.

I know it’s just Mookie being lazy, but it makes reading the comic—especially at only 3 pages a week—excruciating.

He can't talk to the Ink Witch, there is no dialogue in this comic!

We will, however, get Ink Witch writing "Snout, I'm so sorry, I love you, have an ink sandwich I made for you!" in giant letters while crying. This will prove once and for all that she is a good person and not an abuser.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Every seer in the world keeps up with the adventures of the Deegan family. For non-seers there's a weekly summary.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

That sounds like a fun game. I think that in the next comic, red vines will have teleported back to the ground so Mookie doesn't have to show her climbing down that tree since it is rankly impossible, there will be no trace of this creepy puppeteer mouth looking-rear end fruit, they will look at each other for a panel after she says something Snout can't hear and she will kiss Snout's mouth.

Too much action. Next Friday will be several panels of Corpse Mom yelling at Snout, because we really need to clarify that she doesn't know Snout is deaf because she can't read, have you guys gotten that part yet? The final panel will be Snout smiling and biting into the fruit. A similar story to this will pan out over the next two weeks (Corpse Mom will yell at Snout to try to warn him of a dangerous thing, then punch him when he doesn't react), culminating in a Friday diary update where Snout writes "I don't think my new friend understands that I'm deaf."

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
The predictions failed, we all lose.

It's so obvious in hindsight. Snout's girlfriend can't possibly be smarter than him, and since Snout is a complete moron, she literally can't survive without him.

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

The Little Death posted:

E: ^^^Gross.

Teaching her to read. You'd think Mookie would have a little self-awareness and try not steer directly into these cliches. But yeah, she's a child in a (dead?) adult's body.

Also, yeah, still naked, and the fruit husk is on the ground, so no time or distance has passed since the tree incident. They just spontaneously decided to sit down for a lesson.

How is that supposed to work? Just write the alphabet once and now Corpse Bride can write?

Teaching her to associate the word "SNOUT" with the moron next to her is the easy part, she'll remember that soon enough. Copying that word is also easy, as shown here. Snout should be able to teach her a couple of words that way, and realistically she'd be able to write something like "SNOUT FRUIT" to tell him that she's hungry after a few lessons. Starting by teaching her the alphabet is completely useless though. Snout can point to himself and to the "SNOUT" on the page, she'll make that connection. He can't explain to her what an "A" is. You don't teach children to write by having them write down the alphabet, you teach one letter at a time, and associate that letter with things. Snout taught her to copy every letter, but without the context those are just meaningless scribbles she copies to make her new friend happy.

With that said, my new prediction is that by the end of the week, Corpse Bride will write "SNOUT IS FRIEND. I LIKE SNOUT." in Snout's journal. They will then cuddle naked and she will show up in his dreamvisionthing. Bonus prediction: When they wake up, Corpse Bride will write something else in Snout's journal. He'll look and it will say "IT'S BEEN 200 YEARS SINCE DOMINIC DEEGAN BEGAN HIS"

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

PoptartsNinja posted:

There's a common trap that new or inexperienced writers fall into, that's obvious in hindsight or once it's pointed out: you can only write a character who's as intelligent as you yourself are. This isn't an issue with most characters, but becomes a huge problem if you're writing That Power Fantasy Character who's the Smartest Most Clever Genius in a Room Full of Other Supposed Geniuses who Don't Recognize that He's a Genius and who Earn Their Comeuppance Through Antagonizing the Real Genius. :smuggo:

In order for that character to prove they're the smartest, everyone else has to be dumber. I'm going to pretend I call this the Dunning-Sueger effect.

That's not necessarily even a problem in young adult fiction (at least, in terms of reader enjoyment, it's still a huge issue for other reasons). If the reader is cleverer than the main character they get a positive feeling for being smarter than a super-genius; and if they aren't they still get to vicariously enjoy the main character's supposed brilliance because they're (usually) privy to his thoughts.

Obviously this is loving awful for developing mental health because the reader constantly gets to feel like they're also the smartest person in the room (rather than the likely truth: that they either matched or outwitted an author of moderate intelligence). Even this isn't a problem if they're consuming other media. I love my trash fiction, it's cathartic, but it's not the only thing I read.

From a writer's perspective, there's also an incredibly easy technique that anyone can use to avoid falling into the Dunning-Sueger hole:

Don't claim your main character is a genius. There's a reason all the Sherlock Holmes novels were from Watson's perspective.

We had that in a roleplaying group once. This guy's character was a super genius and the player... believes himself to be a super genius... The DM made this plot for him where he should have solved some puzzles and he couldn't figure them out at all. And of course he wouldn't admit that, so we spent ages waiting for him to figure things out. There was also the time when he tried to outsmart a priest of the god of outsmarting people.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Clearly the necromancer explained the entire plot when he ran into Snout, as well as his motivation and a copious amount of puns because this is the Deegan world. Unfortunately Snout is deaf, so he couldn't hear it. The confusion we all feel now at the necromancer's motivation is highly artistic and shows the struggle of a deaf person to keep up with the things happening around them in a world that relies mostly on the spoken words. It also means that Mookie doesn't need to bother making up a motivation for his characters.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
And it will just keep getting worse... I mean, at this point you might think that the dumbest way this could possibly go would be for the power of music to sway Brakkis to the good side, while his evil girlfriend gets sexily impaled by a microfone, but that wouldn't be even close.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's pretty terrible, all right.

If I didn't already know how this shook out, I'd guess that Brakkis uses an obscure legal precedent to challenge Deegan and the Deegans to a battle of the bands and if his team wins they get all the money. He then ingeniously uses another law that he's allowed to use proxies and hires a boy band to sing crowd-pleasing pop music and perform highly choreographed dance routines. The judges like Brakkis's band more and give them a better score but then when the Deegans play, Dominic scream-sings the band's number one hit "gently caress You See the Truth" into the mic and it shoots truth lasers into the eyes of the judges and gives them a vision that Brakkis had his singers enchanted by a magician to be good at singing which is against the rules for some reason and they are disqualified despite having scored higher then the crowd carries Dominic on their shoulders like Rudy.

That would be terrible too, but man, I wish that was all that was to come.

Oh that would be great. How about if Brakkis bribed the judges to let his pop music band win, but then the Deegan band rocks just so loving awesome that the entire crowd is going wild and the judges are swayed by it?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Regalingualius posted:

And WRT the reread: yet a-loving-gain, Dominic fails to respect his loved ones’ boundaries and doesn’t get called out on it, despite this being his biggest breach of privacy yet. In any other story, Luna would be more than within her rights to be beyond furious with him for doing something this gross; like, imagine if she had walked in while it was still in the middle of showing her having sex?

And yet, she’s still a total pushover for him even after that, which really just highlights the total power imbalance in their relationship.

If I remember correctly, his vision skipped the sex part, so Luna didn't walk in on Dominic watching her have sex. Yet. That is reserved for a Very Special Scene. It will get so much worse than you can imagine.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Which is why this can't happen, of course. Dominic Deegan is the world's most perfect man, the world revolves around him, he is always right and he can do everything. Why would he need character growth when he is already perfect?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Cloacamazing! posted:

With that said, my new prediction is that by the end of the week, Corpse Bride will write "SNOUT IS FRIEND. I LIKE SNOUT." in Snout's journal. They will then cuddle naked and she will show up in his dreamvisionthing. Bonus prediction: When they wake up, Corpse Bride will write something else in Snout's journal. He'll look and it will say "IT'S BEEN 200 YEARS SINCE DOMINIC DEEGAN BEGAN HIS"

I'm calling half a point if she shows up in Dreamspace.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yep, that's what I was talking about earlier. It's not enough for Dominic to get permission (after the fact) to look into Luna's private life, it has to be completely accidental through no fault on his side. Bonus points for being really creepy about it to Luna. A normal person would have answered her question with "I didn't see the whole thing, the vision cut away for a bit." to calm her down. Dominic mentions intimate details.

Not to mention that Dominic can usually control his visions to a certain degree, except for when the plot demands that he can't. It would make a lot of sense if he had subconsciously wanted to find out more about Luna's past with Brakkis, but didn't look into it because that would be wrong. But that would require him to have made a mistake, and we can't have that.

The actual "Battle for Barthis" has managed to become a tertiary subplot in the story about Dominic totally destroying that jock jerk for sleeping with his girlfriend that one time by this point. Donovan organized the benefit concert in one night, told everybody what was supposed to happen and it happened. The fliers have been printed and filled with a summary of the entire plot, the authorities have approved and presumably the band is going to start practising at some point off-screen, because surely you can't put four random musicians on stage and have them play something without any kind of practice, right? (I actually don't remember if this is ever mentioned, if it could theoretically happen off-screen or if the band members just arrive before the concert and immediately start playing Crash My Couchfort.) The duel is obviously the secondary plot and the Battle for Barthis has been pretty much reduced to being background scenery.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh. Of course. Wouldn't want them to put any effort into this.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GrossMurpel posted:

I love this society that has very strict laws but also just allows the challengee to make demands in duels?
"You challenged my client to a duel, I'm his proxy."
"Did I? Oh yeah I guess I did, whoops."
"Okay the stakes are if I win you have to stop your concert."
"gently caress off."
"Well the stakes are if I win you have to publicly admit to a crime!"
"Okay, then if I win, you have to stop your concert and you have to say that you eat boogers!"
"Then if I win you have to publibly admit to a crime and be my slave for a day!"

It's kindergarten-level playfighting.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Because it's not about safe sex and using protection, I guess. The Protection Scroll stuff is used as a means to show that Serk Brakkis is an evil jock and Luna was wrong to have slept with him. The focus of the entire story is not on Luna's feelings of betrayal, it's on Dominic finding out about his girlfriend's past life and his reaction to it. We don't actually see the part that hurt her the most, Serk sleeping with her sister. That part of the story is not important for Dominic.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

TheHan posted:

Somebody say flacid?

Oh what a clever little boy. See, we all thought it was the Ink Witch talking when really it was Arudak! That means...hmm, well...I don't know what this means for anything. I am actually surprised, though. Mookie had the self-awareness to throw in that line about Snout forgiving him one more time, it's a small admittance to all the uncool poo poo he had the Ink Witch do.

Snout's bisexual awakening!

Also, does that mean Arudak disguised himself as the Ink Witch in the last dream? Or maybe Arudak and the Ink Witch are cuddling naked somewhere else, in order to combine their magic powers to reach Snout.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
In a good story, this constant repetition could be used to show the cycle of abuse Snout experiences from everyone around him. He is hurt, the other person apologizes, he forgives, things continue until the next outburst.

This story... does Mookie even believe women can abuse men? I know he doesn't believe women can rape men, or that Ink Witch's behavior is abusive, but the last pages have me wondering. I suspect he's literally going for "Corpse Bride just can't control her emotions, it's not her fault she keeps beating Snout".

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah this is literally what is happening. Imagine this story with the genders flipped - Snout is no longer a noble Good Guy, it's a dark look into a toxic abusive relationship and how we can't let them go.

I mean, it's already the second option, it's just that Mookie is most likely going for the first.

The story he wants to tell is about the innocent Snout full of goodness who by virtue of being so nice will help all the people around him. The story he's actually telling is about Snout who got drawn into some weird fight between Ink Witch, Arudak, Evil Ink Witch and whatever else is going on here, and at least two parties are trying to manipulate him into helping him. He left them, but since he has never left home before, he's now latched onto the first person he could find, who unfortunately turned out to be even more abusive than the others, and in a violent way to boot. But he's convinced himself that he can change her, she always says she's sorry and he knows she's a good person at heart. This story would be seriously dark if the author was capable of understanding why it comes across that way. Or maybe he's going for the heroic abuser now, instead of the heroic rapist.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
You could get a bingo soon with "Sudden Genre Change" (the hut with the horror tentacles), "Obvious Mookie self-insert" (Snout) and maybe "Tragic backstory doesn't help", because that's probably what he's going for with Corpse Bride and it's not helping.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

RandomPauI posted:

Does this mean corpse wife is a book binding witch?

She's actually a clothes witch, we just haven't seen her use her powers because she's always naked.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Whoa, something might actually happen!

Most likely prediction: Snout wakes up on Friday, naked, next to Corpse Bride. They keep walking for three more weeks.

Slightly less likely prediction: Snout summons his "Endings" sign to stop Ink Witch and Arudak from fighting. They look shocked to see him, Ink Witch tries to hug him, then he wakes up, naked. Friday is him writing in his diary about how he had a vision of Arudak and the Ink Witch fighting and this makes him sad. Corpse Bride goes missing for two panels again, reappears, punches Snout, the walk for three more weeks.

Even less likely: Snout stops the fighting with his "Endings" sign, the Ink Witch and Arudak explain the plot to him with giant ink dream letters.

Least likely: As Snout looks on with a sad face, the fight is stopped by Corpse Bride punching Arudak and the Ink Witch.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Snout's true power has been unlocked! He has become the champion of balance, standing on the precipice between ink and paper! He is the wizard of words! And his penis is bigger than Arudak's!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Wow. Plot progression. Corpse Bride now has a shirt that looks even worse than the clothes Snout usually wears. Still no pants or shoes, but hey, it's one third of an outfit.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I don't know what you're talking about, those are clearly different pictures. Look, she's wearing her poncho in the second one!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

amigolupus posted:

One thing I'm not sure of is whether Corpsemomwife has only lost her memories and is disoriented from it or if she's supposed to have the mental faculties of a small child.
That's something you and Mookie have in common.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

super sweet best pal posted:

Think the next update will be the alleged gate or will we do another cycle of teaching corpsemom to read, followed by a dream and then some more walking?

You know the truth. It's more walking. It's always more walking.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
First panel: Walking.
Second panel: A conflict happens!
Third panel: The conflict is resolved. Resume walking.

Storytelling!

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GrossMurpel posted:

WHY DOES NOTHING EVER HAPPEN

I don't know what you're talking about. They almost fell off a cliff, then they didn't, and then they did. What more excitement do you want?

Next comic, they'll keep walking again.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Technically speaking they might have to climb up again at some point to get back on track, but we all know how good this comic is with continuity.

Actually, this is Snout we're talking about, there's a real chance that the cliff dropped them right in front of the gate they were trying to reach.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well of course it's not over, we haven't had the rock concert yet. What, you thought this could just be summed up with one page of the band playing? That's what a reasonable author would do, not Mookie!

Don't worry though, the next villain of the day is on his way, because this concert is the most important thing ever, so it gets two villains. And one actually lovely person, but of course we're going to ignore that one entirely.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
In theory, walking panels could be useful to give the reader a sense of time passing (we already know no time passes) and the distance traveled (see time). They could give some background information about the world that doesn't fit in the story proper. In a good comic, they would be a visually interesting, high effort replacement for the fast and easy "Two weeks of walking later" textbox.

This would of course require things to happen between all the walking, or the walking panels having any kind of connection other than "Okay, Google, show me backgrounds that are easy to trace".

My prediction for how the comic will end: A six months long travel montage of every single walking panel backwards as Snout and his beloved wife whose name we still don't know travel back to his home. They arrive at the house, but Snout makes a shocked face because he forgot about it getting blown up. Then they live happily ever after in his cave.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Oh boy. That part. I forgot most things about this webcomic, but I do remember this.

The amount of justification for this rape that's piled on here is simply astounding. Melna is going to be killed, so Stonewater just HAS to claim her as his wife, but there are evil traditions in her clan so he HAS to have sex with her or she'll be killed, but she won't listen to him so he HAS to rape her, but he felt bad about it afterwards. And it'll only get worse. Spoiler: By the end of this storyline, everybody will have understood that Stonewater was in no way to blame for his actions, asked his forgiveness for their unreasonable anger and realize that he was, in fact, acting very heroically. He will also have very hurt feelings, so everybody will have to cheer him up and tell him how great he is. This is very important. No, Melna does not get that, why are you asking?

This whole "rape for good reasons" is something I've seen argued a lot - by rape apologists and/or rapists. "But what if a terrorist took an orphanage hostage and threatened to kill them all unless I rape this woman!" seems to be a favorite reply to statements like "Rape is always bad". The answer, by the way, is not to rape the woman, but leave the hostage negotiations up to the professionals. The actual answer is to stop fantasizing about poo poo like that, what the gently caress is wrong with you, Mookie? And even with the limitation Mookie added in, there were other ways than flat out raping Melna that could have gotten her through this.

As TLD has already pointed out, Team Rape Apology (Mookie's self inserts) are completely calm and rational and just want the chance for Stonewater to explain his side of the story. Team "You loving raped her!" is very angry and emotional and will lash out even at innocent people. It is very clear which is the right side. Insert calm and rational Hitler comic here.

And that's what I probably hate the most about this comic. It's definitely aimed at a younger audience who would not immediately question this story as represented. So you're basically taking this medium and using it to tell a bunch of teens "Rape can be cool and good under the right circumstances!" and they're going to believe it, because it's told through characters they've been taught are always right and good. And this is not okay.

Kavak posted:

If it's a legitimate feminist rape, the comic has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.
Terrible page snipe, good post

Cloacamazing! fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 18, 2020

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

GreenMetalSun posted:

Wait a second, why would you even your bring your wife and underage daughter to the RapeClan Meeting run by RapeClan on the RapeClan territory where anyone is allowed to rape women if they murder their husbands and also they sanction the rape of female children?

Would it not have been feminist enough for him to say, 'idk honey, maybe sit this one out? and maybe lets not bring our daughter?'

Wasn't he one of the great tribal chiefs of his generation? I get that he couldn't bring an army onto someone else's lands, but wouldn't he have had at least a few bodyguards/warriors to look after his kid?

I think they lived with RapeClan and the guy was feminist enough to be the only person in the entire RapeClan to treat his wife and daughter like people, but it never occurred to him that maybe leaving RapeClan would be the best thing to do for them.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Worst Shaggy cosplay I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, isn’t this also the last time that the rape comes up for a long, long time?

I remember something about it comes up towards the end of this plotline. Yes of course you'll wish it hadn't.