Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Begemot posted:

Especially to see how deafness will definitely be treated in a tasteful and respectful manner

Well,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I couldn't parse this page until I realized that it seems to be in reverse chronological order, like Memento, all of a sudden.

At least I THINK that's what's happening. Why would he only start doing that on page 3 if so?

Edit: you got me. Good job. Teaches me to actually look at the site first.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Did Mookie just enable the "mobile site only" option or something, or is this only happening for me? His site is suddenly loading in that mode for me on a browser, and it zooms way to in to the comic and makes it look all blurry and crappy.

... Well, crappier than usual, anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Weird. Well, it's not the first time a site has gotten stuck on mobile mode only for my computer with no explanation. I expect it'll work itself out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sort of...? There's no central "heart of magic", but the Espers are in a hidden dimension to keep humans from finding them and abusing their power. The Empire figures out how to breach this realm and starts kidnapping Espers to drain them of magic and make Magitek. There's also 3 statues that are the corpses of the gods that created magic, and Kefka pushes them out of alignment, which doesn't destroy magic, but actually does the opposite and unseals a bunch of nasty magical poo poo and reshapes the world.

I guess you could say that magic had died out in FF6...? But that's the status quo, before the game begins. One of the central story beats (and mechanics) of the game is the Empire and your party wielding magic for the first time in a long time.

Edit: I forgot, yeah, magic does die when you kill Kefka at the end, because he had absorbed the gods of magic and became them. The game is kind of a blur for me after you enter the World of Ruin.

Square was pretty smart about it though, no matter if you followed those details of the plot or not, the game was pretty character-focused and took a lot of cues from Star Wars in that regard. The highs of the story come stem the characters you care about, not about the nitpicky details of the macguffin.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That is clearly a pokeball with wings.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I seem to remember a character that looked like her appeared in the initial preview image for this, so I'm gonna guess she's not actually dead.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh look, he established AGAIN that Snout is deaf. On... A library card? They require you to list your disabilities on them in this world? Ok... Awkward choice, but still a better way to establish his deafness than before.

But yeah I'm grasping at straws, so far this is just... Benign.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think my favorite part about this page is the "library" that will last exactly until the first time it rains.

I mean, I guess it's supposed to be funny that it's so slapdash, but... I mean, come on, just put it in a cave, or crappy hut, or... I dunno, something, anything clever or interesting. Did Mookie just not want to draw a building?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As far as I can tell, Snout saw the name Dominic Deegan, and this shocked him because he'd seen it somewhere before, and that somewhere seems to be this book.

WHY it's so shocking to him, and why it was so important he haul rear end to the future book graveyard open air library, so much so he's not even phased by the spaceship... Has not been communicated to the reader. I'm sure this is intentional on the part of Mookie, but it's not a mystery that we've been given any reason to care about...

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dominic Deegan is not on screen, so all the other characters are asking, "Where is Dominic Deegan?"

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Supposedly this entire storyline will be completely without dialogue: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/about-dominic-deegan/

quote:

The Legacy of Dominic Deegan is set 200 years after the events of Oracle for Hire. A deaf mongrelman called Snout stumbles upon a mysterious scrap of paper, and his curiosity drives him to search for clues regarding an obscure librarian from a centuries-old city across the world. Snout must determine if he can trust what he sees, reads, and learns in his quest for the untold fate of Dominic Deegan.

Note: This entire story is told from Snout's perspective, so there will be no dialogue on any page.

Dunno if that means it's just a short one-shot or if he's committed to an entirely new epic storyline without any dialogue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's a new page but don't bother, the story is not advanced at all and nothing is explained.

The most notable thing about this page is that Snout's, uh, snout, looks completely different in every panel. Mookie's only consistency as an artist is his inconsistency.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Apparently this comic was also a stretch goal that wasn't reached, but he did it anyway.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

Awfully tempted to get super high and read through starpower this weekend.

Good luck. I tried that (minus the super high) and only got halfway into the first issue. I'd describe it as really boring Mass Effect + Green Lantern fanfiction.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

But she's bleeding and half dead. Mookie is still into it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah it's clear how tortured Mookie's art is when he actually has to try. Take an anatomy class or two, duder.

I even hate his signature. It's like the way an 8 year old might sign things because he thinks it looks cool that way, but will spent minutes getting it JUST right instead of just banging it out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Is his art getting worse or is it just because he's attempting to go outside of his comfort zone of side view talking heads?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't know why I'm focusing on this, but the basket is weirding me out. I have so many questions about it.

- Why does he put her in the basket instead of just carrying her? All he did was add an extra step.
- Why does it change sizes three times? On the last page it was medium size, at the beginning of this page it became tiny, and by the end of the page it's big enough for her. (Ok, I know the answer to this one.)
- What was he even doing with the basket? There's nothing outside on the DBZ plain he lives on and the basket started empty. Is he collecting rocks? Does he eat 40 pounds of grass for every meal?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ahahahahaha no dialogue in this story, right right

Only took him, what, a dozen pages to introduce a character that inherently can get around that limitation with no trouble at all? How long before he figures out a magical way for Snout to converse back?

Also, things in Snout's house:

- basket
- bedroll
- pillow
- nothing else

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Star Power? It's still going. It's currently in the middle of a successful kickstarter for a printed book. I guess it's just too boring for anyone here to care about, I know I got like 5 pages in and completely lost interest.

There might be some of his trademark storytelling in there, but maybe it's the competent art that just keeps it from being a compelling trainwreck? I dunno, if someone else wants to dig into it to see if there's anything there, go for it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

(though I hear that now that Mookie's taken over drawing it, it's gotten entertainingly worse).

I'm pretty sure that was just a one-issue special thing and the artist is still working with him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ague Proof posted:

Mookie has now resorted to thought bubbles.

One more step to them just speaking to each other normally.

For something we don't need a thought bubble for. We don't need a flashback to something that recent.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

WELP

Give it to Mookie, I was not expecting that.

Clearly between this and the deaf character, he believes he's writing something important.. I'm sure he's up to the task... Right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh my loving lol

So as he grew older he grew hornier, and now we get to see Mookie sex scenes

This is gonna be quite a ride, strap in folks!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well at least Dominic Deegan will finally have loving CONSENSUAL sex scenes, instead of all the previous loving nonconsensual sex.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

paranoid randroid posted:

how is mookie still around, didnt even his official forums turn into a roast making fun of him for sucking?

hes so loving bad i remember being a dumb teenager and getting to that scene in DD where an alleged hero rips someone's throat out and lectures them while they bleed to death and thinking "uhhhhhh, alright then?"

He's somehow pulling in $2k a month from 2 patreons. Although he has to share one of those with the Star Power artist... But somehow, there are still 64 people somewhere willing to shell out monthly money for continuing Domonic Deegan content.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I mean what other characters even exist in this comic? They're boning. The only question is how earned it will be.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Invisible Clergy posted:

How has it been 50 comics and nothing has happened? It started with a bare-assed bloody witch dying in snout's yard, and we're still right there.

Eh? It's only been 15 comics, and it's kind of moving at a relatively quick pace. It's bad, but I wouldn't call it slow.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pictured: a story told entirely without dialogue

Edit: gently caress

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There's Dominic Deegan character epilogue comics on Mookie's Patreon. Don't tell me some of you aren't tempted to throw down some money at him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

As someone who knows nothing about this comic but has been enjoying this thread: Why is he wearing a striped scarf in one panel but none of the others?
Is the Shuma-Gorath knock-off using old panels to make bad things re-occur to him like a flashback, or is this just utterly visually incomprehensible?

I'm pretty sure it's an edit.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh god, he was that guy. Mine was a guy in the dorms who carried his D&D books everywhere, like to class and meals, was obsessed with Star Wars to the point he considered himself a "real" Jedi and would try to get people at parties to read an essay he wrote about it (and then debate him about it), and then had an emotional breakdown when his fiance (who he referred to as his wife) broke up with him. He also named his (female) MMO characters after what he wanted to name his future children.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What, exactly, was he trying to accomplish here? After the diary text dump it's a bit of whiplash to see Mookie suddenly trusting the audience to figure out this situation with no dialogue.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Emrikol posted:

He's trying to signal the ship he saw the day before, and hasn't seen since.

This could have been improved with a page of him seeing it flying off in the distance.

Why would he know if the ship would even care about a signal? Ugh, but it'll probably work when he hits the other one. So stupid.

Mors Rattus posted:

The elbow spikes are really bothering me for some reason. Imagine them catching on poo poo. Rip your fuckin’ skin off!

How does he take his shirt off?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah that's kind of what I'm getting at too. Ugh, just everything is so barely thought out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Which made the ink witch lady's powers really confusing. We all thought she was writing with blood, but it was actually ink.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, like I said, he doesn't even know the ship would care about or react to the flare plant. Why would it care about a shirt on a stick?

Also it's pretty amazing this empty DBZ field even has trees of any kind besides grass. If it ain't plot relevant scenery Mookie ain't drawing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, I'm sure he's trying.