Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I didn’t hate it as much as the rest of the thread but upon rewatch it’s really jarring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Davros1 posted:

Petition to change the thread title to "You can't spell 'America' with 'Erica'."

mods???

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I'm on Ep3 and it's me. I am the kid who just wants to play games with his friends forever :(

Also: Robin ist the best.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

TheBizzness posted:

I didn’t hate it as much as the rest of the thread but upon rewatch it’s really jarring.

I don't disagree, but I still like it.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Uma Thurman's daughter (Robin, the ice cream girl) is a babe.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Hahaha that Russian henchman is exactly the Terminator. Arnold Schwarzenegger indeed.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ah man first episode reminding me about the joy of seeing Sean Astin on screen.

Kidd-Liggit
Sep 6, 2011

You mean I have to go to Philly?
Just started watching, but when I saw that drawing I got sad about Bob again

RIP to a real one

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

The Something Awful Forums>TVIV>Stranger Things 3>Oh My God, The 80's.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I love the pure, unironic friendship between Dustin and Steve. It makes me so happy for some reason.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

I love the pure, unironic friendship between Dustin and Steve. It makes me so happy for some reason.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I'm officially so elderly that teenagers in love is adorable.

Very same to both of these.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

TheBizzness posted:

It would be better if it was placed just about ANYWHERE else during the season.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
I think Winona Ryder has definitely found the character beyond "my son is missing" this season and Bret Gellman is much more of an eccentric instead of the grinning Bret Gellman creep he was in s2.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Dmitri-9 posted:

I think Winona Ryder has definitely found the character beyond "my son is missing" this season

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how prominent she was. When I thought about it more, it wasn't so much that she didn't have a character but that she was always an accessory or a facilitator for someone else's story. This season gave her a way more prominent place with a lot more agency than before. Poor Will got to be "And they were there too" character this season.

Season as a whole was much better than 2. All the relationships felt sincere, there was a good ebb and flow of comedy and tension, and the plot kept moving without feeling rushed. Really solid television.

Final episode spoilers: Not gonna lie, Hopper's final speech got me choked up a little. The show did a good job of disguising that he was going to bite it but it felt natural when he did.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Just finished the first four episodes. Gonna be honest and say I thought the first three were just okay and not really any better than anything in season 2 but the fourth one really kicks it into gear and and starts moving, holy poo poo that ending tossing him through the loving brick wall and ending with "We'll Meet Again" haha

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I liked this season a lot more than season 2. Season 1 still is the best, but that's not to knock this one.

Robin is great but sometimes the actress looks and sounds just like her mom and it's jarring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Eleven's walk through the blackness to find people/things reminds me a hell of a lot of Under the Skin haha

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

1stGear posted:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by how prominent she was. When I thought about it more, it wasn't so much that she didn't have a character but that she was always an accessory or a facilitator for someone else's story. This season gave her a way more prominent place with a lot more agency than before. Poor Will got to be "And they were there too" character this season.

Season as a whole was much better than 2. All the relationships felt sincere, there was a good ebb and flow of comedy and tension, and the plot kept moving without feeling rushed. Really solid television.

Final episode spoilers: Not gonna lie, Hopper's final speech got me choked up a little. The show did a good job of disguising that he was going to bite it but it felt natural when he did.

Final episode spoilers: Suzie killed Hopper. Not directly obviously, but had she told them the numbers sooner they would have been able to turn the keys before Russian terminator showed up. Its all her fault! Though its possible the American in Kamchatka is Hopper who was somehow teleported to Russia instead of getting bug zapped. End of Final episode spoilers.

Generic spoilers for at least episode 5 and later: Now we know why the Soviets cheaped out on RBMK reactors. They were saving money so they could build secret underground labs in the US. Cant be cheap secreting a ton of soldiers, scientists and construction workers over all the time.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

ep 5: :stonk: ok I'm onboard with this now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That one newspaper guy who looks like a Chris Farley who lived and aged up to the present day is very distracting.

Ep 1: that was the only time any crowd ever cheered at Day of the Dead. How were those kids still so happy meeting Dustin later?

EDIT: Lucas’ loving French Foreign Legion hat.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finished the season, what a hell of a ride. Not sure if it topped Season 1, but it's pretty close. Really hoping (and, honestly, assuming) Hopper is the American in the Russian facility, but if not they gave him a nice goodbye.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

I love that they're straight up scoring stuff here with the "Day of the Dead" soundtrack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those almost-Gremlins riffs are still distracting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Finished the season, what a hell of a ride. Not sure if it topped Season 1, but it's pretty close. Really hoping (and, honestly, assuming) Hopper is the American in the Russian facility, but if not they gave him a nice goodbye.

I hope he comes back all buff and yoked next season.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Petition to change the thread title to "You can't spell 'America' with 'Erica'."

Mods dragging their feet on it this one for some reason. What's the hold up? This is the ideal thread title.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
You can't do this show without David Harbour. We didn't really see any goo on the platform like all of the other soldiers left when they got zapped.

Also, I wonder if next season we get a little more international and open up the rest of the world to some strange things going on? El getting her powers back but even more enhanced with the help of Paul Reiser who may have some understanding about Hopper's teleporting? I'm calling it: Paul Reiser teaches El the instant transmission somehow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

OH DOPE, this John Wick style funhouse mirror gunfight in ep 7 :swoon:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hopper probably either jumped through, or got sucked through the opening at the climax, and ended up going through one in Russia

Poor Will though; he looks like he's going to grow up be Topher Grace.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The acting and writing were great, and the first three episodes are a solid set up for a classic 80's movie. By episode five it was pretty paint by the numbers boring and I didn't notice much because I started messing with my tablet while my wife watched it. The entire Russian spy story B-plot was terrible and a waste of the Steve / Dustin powerhouse combo. It was exponentially better than Season 2, but fell prey to the whole "Season 1, but more!" trap. They gave themselves so much they could work with story wise, but all they do with it is more of the same.

Oh yeah, Erica wasn't precocious. She's the Jar-Jar Binks of Stranger Things.

Lord Frankenstyle fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 5, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The only thing that disappointed me was for a series set in the 80s, everyone should have been wielding Uzis. I mean, that was the staple of 80s cinema.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I did really like in the first episode that there was a poster for The Thing, which of course hinted at people being taken over by an evil being that happened later.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

teagone posted:

next season

Is that a thing? I thought Netflix recently said that from now on all shows will be dropped after their third season due to that being the point when production costs tend to spike.

And they're going broke now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Iirc Stranger Things has had its entire run already contracted for and ends with season four.

Only watched the first episode and a half but it really makes season two feel like a bridging season to these events in retrospect.

Edit: I was wrong. The Duffers are extremely confident in a season four and do plan for it to be an ending because even they recognize the poor kids are being put through a lot in this story.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Frankenstyle posted:

Is that a thing? I thought Netflix recently said that from now on all shows will be dropped after their third season due to that being the point when production costs tend to spike.

:shrug: No idea. I was also under the impression that Season 3 was going to be the last. But that stinger says otherwise imo.

Frankenstyle posted:

Man, you trippin bruh.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm 312 days smoke free and between watching Dr. Strangelove and episode 6 I'm about to call an uber to run me to the store.

I get the "authenticity" but COME ON.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm partway through episode 3, and as with the other two seasons, the Jonathan and Nancy plot is the worst part of the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished. That ruled. It felt like a series finale to me too up until the very end. If there is a next season, I'm not sure how that'll go.

Frankenstyle posted:

Uhhh, what? Erica was great.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Frankenstyle posted:

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Man, poor Steve just can’t catch a break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I agree with the above poster about Robin being a total babe. Dammit Steve, right there in front of you! Also with the Will goon who just wants to hang out and play games. Also is the soundtrack way more synthy this season?

That scene with the kid on the phone yelling at his mom to get off is something kids these days will never understand.

I hope Billy dies horribly this season. Like gently caress that guy.