Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

So I haven't actually read most of the thread to avoid spoilers but I finally am watching the show for the first time and I got to Season 3 and I have to ask:

What the gently caress is up with Jim? He comes across a a giant abusive rear end in a top hat who I'm more likely to root against than root for and I can't figure out WTF. I've only watch about the first two episodes but I'm having a really hard time pushing past it after the dude threatened a teenager to try to get him to break up with an emotionally traumatized girl and then repeatedly badgered a woman to go on a date with him after she made it clear she was still recovering from seeing her last boyfriend brutally murdered in front of her.

Does he get better or is this like he's being affected by Mind Spores or something because I have rarely encountered something that makes me want to stop watching a show as badly as this and I'm not sure if I should keep pushing on.
IIRC he cools down a bit eventually, but yeah the writing for him was pretty ridiculous at times there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

So I haven't actually read most of the thread to avoid spoilers but I finally am watching the show for the first time and I got to Season 3 and I have to ask:

What the gently caress is up with Jim? He comes across a a giant abusive rear end in a top hat who I'm more likely to root against than root for and I can't figure out WTF. I've only watch about the first two episodes but I'm having a really hard time pushing past it after the dude threatened a teenager to try to get him to break up with an emotionally traumatized girl and then repeatedly badgered a woman to go on a date with him after she made it clear she was still recovering from seeing her last boyfriend brutally murdered in front of her.

Does he get better or is this like he's being affected by Mind Spores or something because I have rarely encountered something that makes me want to stop watching a show as badly as this and I'm not sure if I should keep pushing on.

I think it’s supposed to show that he’s under stress from everyday causes that show up in a few episodes, like how several characters remark on how he’s gained weight. Some of it is probably a result of the writers trying to go for 80s comedy and have lots of escalating bickering. I would agree that it cools down as the season goes on.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh though most of my memories of season 3 at this point are "Hey remember what it was like to go to the mall? Wasn't it fun?" at this point.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Gap and ecto cooler! Warm cookies from the booth at the food court! A movie theater IN the mall!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it’s supposed to show that he’s under stress from everyday causes that show up in a few episodes, like how several characters remark on how he’s gained weight. Some of it is probably a result of the writers trying to go for 80s comedy and have lots of escalating bickering. I would agree that it cools down as the season goes on.

Hm. Maybe I'll give a bit of time for S1-2 memories to cool off a bit and see if I can push past.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

The girl's boyfriend acts like a piece of poo poo around him and has zero respect for him. If it were me I'd easily kick him out of my house.

I agree with the rest though. He also has substantial anger issues. I was shocked at the tone of him (not sure if you are here yet) charging to his daughters door and screaming six inches or whatever as if he was going to kill both of them when it turns out she was with another girl.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mike being a giant rear end in a top hat makes him kind of interesting to watch, though. I agree that Hopper being an rear end in a top hat is no fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

The girl's boyfriend acts like a piece of poo poo around him and has zero respect for him. If it were me I'd easily kick him out of my house.

I agree with the rest though. He also has substantial anger issues. I was shocked at the tone of him (not sure if you are here yet) charging to his daughters door and screaming six inches or whatever as if he was going to kill both of them when it turns out she was with another girl.

I mean at least as we're shown Mike acts like a poo poo to him because he's acting like a poo poo to Mike. (Again, this is only off the first two episodes or so, but he was pretty lovely to Mike in Season 2 too.) It's hard to have empathy when what he seems to be complaining about is largely "Mike exists."

But Hopper in Season 2 felt like a more sensible character and the scene of him hugging a sobbing Mike doesn't at all mesh with the dude who wants them to break up because he's mildly annoyed and who smugly plays his own theme song after feeling like he succeeded.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 5, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think it's touched on later in the season (It's been a while since I watched it) but IIRC Hop is suffering from pretty major control and loneliness issues. Since adopting 11 as his surrogate daughter he's effectively withdrawn from most of society (Not that he was particularly attached to it in the first place), and Joyce is really his only adult friend/romantic interest. So with 11 spending more time with Mike and Joyce rejecting his romantic advances, Hop is feeling increasingly isolated and frustrated, which results in the violent outbursts you see through much of the early season—which, of course, only serve to push away 11 and Joyce even further. Hop does begin to recognize this and tries to take some steps to address it later in the season.

On the whole I think it does make a sort of sense for his character, but unfortunately like I said before just because it makes sense doesn't mean it's satisfying or enjoyable to watch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean at least as we're shown Mike acts like a poo poo to him because he's acting like a poo poo to Mike. (Again, this is only off the first two episodes or so, but he was pretty lovely to Mike in Season 2 too.) It's hard to have empathy when what he seems to be complaining about is largely "Mike exists."

But Hopper in Season 2 felt like a more sensible character and the scene of him hugging a sobbing Mike doesn't at all mesh with the dude who wants them to break up because he's mildly annoyed and who smugly plays his own theme song after feeling like he succeeded.

I don't remember Hopper being an rear end in a top hat to him in Season 2. But it's been years. Plus Season 2 was just awful.

I do agree him complaining "Mike exists" is stupid, it would make more sense for him to hate Mike because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I feel that the writers didn't want to paint the protagonist too negative.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I do agree him complaining "Mike exists" is stupid, it would make more sense for him to hate Mike because he's an rear end in a top hat, but I feel that the writers didn't want to paint the protagonist too negative.

Hating his daughter's boyfriend for existing is very much on brand for A) 80s dads 2) Cops C) 80s Dads Who Are Cops Written By People Trying To Channel The 80s

I mean, go look any sitcom from the 80s and 90s. Family Matters kind of leaps to mind.

I can see what the writers were going for, but I think they just missed it, or the acting/directing missed it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Hating his daughter's boyfriend for existing is very much on brand for A) 80s dads 2) Cops C) 80s Dads Who Are Cops Written By People Trying To Channel The 80s

I mean, go look any sitcom from the 80s and 90s. Family Matters kind of leaps to mind.

I can see what the writers were going for, but I think they just missed it, or the acting/directing missed it.

They also were trying to play an trope from the 80s comedies straight there. Unfortunately, "ridiculously overbearing father figure threatening his daughter's boyfriend with a shotgun" is a trope that no longer plays as "funny" so much as "abusive and scary".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mike sucks, 11 sucks, and Joyce sucks. They're consistently the worst parts of the show post season 1.

Which is an amazing feat seeing as though they're arguably the best actors on the show.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mike sucks, 11 sucks, and Joyce sucks. They're consistently the worst parts of the show post season 1.

Which is an amazing feat seeing as though they're arguably the best actors on the show.

You're right about Mike and 11.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is not what I would ever expect to see a crossover of.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/seven-deadly-sins-official-crossover-stranger-things/

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Not great having your underaged characters around a motherfucker like Meliodas who is a loving sex pest.

Has there been any info on S4? Most of the cast look like they're nearly adults at this point so I wonder if they're getting near the end of the show.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No real info other than it will be 9 episodes, and the first one is called The Hellfire Club. Filming was delayed a few months last year cause of covid, and as of late January some of the actors were spotted filming scenes. I assume filming is done at this point but with no trailer I imagine we won't see anything for a while.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Season 4 is taking a lot longer to make then just about every other show that had to deal with Covid delays and I suspect it’s because all the stuff they had already filmed had to be thrown out because when they resumed the kids looked too visibly older.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It was only a matter of time before Stranger Things returned to its anime roots.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Raxivace posted:

It was only a matter of time before Stranger Things returned to its anime roots.
Anime roots?

It's an homage to 80s network miniseries fare.

Its contemporaries are more the Tim Curry IT and Twin Peaks.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

LividLiquid posted:

Anime roots?

It's an homage to 80s network miniseries fare.

Its contemporaries are more the Tim Curry IT and Twin Peaks.

those were both originally anime

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

those were both originally anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acm7j9k_1w

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vanderdeath posted:

Not great having your underaged characters around a motherfucker like Meliodas who is a loving sex pest.

Has there been any info on S4? Most of the cast look like they're nearly adults at this point so I wonder if they're getting near the end of the show.

Double posting to share this relevant content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILwLN6hV-X8

More Modine sounds good. He seems like a nice guy who should work more. The aesthetic for this one is right back to the early 80s too. I wonder if they’ll de-age the kids for any flashbacks or just pretend or what.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Vanderdeath posted:

I mean, didn't they say they were only going to do like five seasons?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Small White Dragon posted:

I mean, didn't they say they were only going to do like five seasons?

4 is supposed to be the last one

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They said 5 I am 99% sure of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Season 5 will be the Indiana University Hawkins years.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

IIRC they said "four, maybe five" seasons, so either this season or the next will be the last

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

The Maroon Hawk posted:

IIRC they said "four, maybe five" seasons, so either this season or the next will be the last

They said four or five originally, and have said more recently that four isn't the last. They have not confirmed in any way that ending with five is still the plan.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I literally can’t understand how they are still adding cast members for Season 4 unless they started over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/stranger-things-season-4-cast-1234965273/

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How big is the regular/recurring cast now? Thirty people?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I literally can’t understand how they are still adding cast members for Season 4 unless they started over.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/stranger-things-season-4-cast-1234965273/

Sometimes they've already been there and filming but not announced. Sometimes it's just small roles.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Maya Hawke's character Robin Buckley is getting her own origin story with a prequel podcast and a novel, both coming out on June 29th.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sure why not.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I like the character fine but I feel like there wasn’t any hint that anything supernatural had happened to her before so I don’t see the appeal of a prequel for her specifically when there’s specifically this whole town full of crazy poo poo to explore. It would be like a prequel series about Louis Tully from Ghostbusters but it’s just about him being a regular insurance salesman.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Guy A. Person posted:

I like the character fine but I feel like there wasn’t any hint that anything supernatural had happened to her before so I don’t see the appeal of a prequel for her specifically when there’s specifically this whole town full of crazy poo poo to explore. It would be like a prequel series about Louis Tully from Ghostbusters but it’s just about him being a regular insurance salesman.

It's a story about a gay teen growing up in semi-rural 70's Indiana. It might be interesting, but I doubt they can land it. And it'll be extra super dumb if there's like monsters and poo poo in it.

edit:
I'm agreeing with you by the way. I think there could be something really interesting there, just not with a horror/scifi angle that wouldn't feel wonky.

Robobot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 10, 2021

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgsUzL75Yjk

Kid 'n Play haircut means this is 1990 or so?

I keep being forcibly reminded that I'm Steve's age.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That haircut is from the tail end of the 80s, but yeah it would have to be about then if they are advancing the time period to keep up with the aging of the kid actors.

This is the last season, right?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That haircut is from the tail end of the 80s, but yeah it would have to be about then if they are advancing the time period to keep up with the aging of the kid actors.

This is the last season, right?

Allegedly not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I believe the plan is to make a season 5 and that will be the final one. But I'm cynical enough to assume spin offs or sequel series set in the 90s/2000s will be developed, Stranger Things has done really well for Netflix so I can't imagine it's an IP they want to ever put to sleep.