Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

BrownianMotion posted:

wow I've created a nonsense monster, i have a feeling by the 20th this thread is going to be impossible to follow

thankfully tomorrow is a Day of Rest itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

Tears overspill the fringed curtains of my eyelids, and I know my shame more truly as I beg this congress for leniency in wrongdoing. Understand, I have come up with another good law idea. My law idea is this: no more pronouns at all. Actually, please don't vote for this. I just wanted to make a funny speech, but this is a really bad idea. Please, I'm serious, don't do it.

:thx:

Have known perfidious nature of pronouns since banned forbidden y-word. Now rest on laurels of comfy hypocrisy, speaking of self and other with lascivious ease. Unbearable! No more! First person pronoun is just second person pronoun in a mirror! Third person pronoun is just second person pronoun in a gaggle! Is like six, seven second person pronouns all at once! Even worse and yet is allowed! Obviously following clause will have to be suitably amended to meet new moral standards: if my law is not voted for, the person reading this who has resolved not to vote for my law shall rue the day they made that resolution.

:their:

Goons Are Gifts

I think there is a law infraction here, but I couldn't check because there are a lot of laws now, but

Android Blues posted:

Tears overspill the fringed curtains of my eyelids, and I know my shame more truly as I beg this congress for leniency in wrongdoing. Understand, I have come up with another good law idea. My law idea is this: no more pronouns at all. Actually, please don't vote for this. I just wanted to make a funny speech, but this is a really bad idea. Please, I'm serious, don't do it.

Have known perfidious nature of pronouns since banned forbidden y-word. Now rest on laurels of comfy hypocrisy, speaking of self and other with lascivious ease. Unbearable! No more! First person pronoun is just second person pronoun in a mirror! Third person pronoun is just second person pronoun in a gaggle! Is like six, seven second person pronouns all at once! Even worse and yet is allowed! Obviously following clause will have to be suitably amended to meet new moral standards: if my law is not voted for, the person reading this who has resolved not to vote for my law shall rue the day they made that resolution.

so much this

Stoner Sloth

It's wednesday here, my dudes - time for a Purge with the full strength of the law behind me! *spends all day eating chips and smoking w'ed like it's any other day*

Android Blues posted:

so much this

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

Raises the question, which timezone will be used for the Wednesday law?

We should form a commission and twelve separate hearings to establish clear instructions for that.

sb hermit

Android Blues posted:

epic same

Android Blues

since this is going to be the world we live in now, may i suggest for the new, pronoun-free threat clause "May rejectors of the preceding law idea be trampled beneath the mud-caked hooves of swine."

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Android Blues posted:

Already enough votes, but nevertheless so much this.

alnilam

This poster loves this thread

Goons Are Gifts

With :wedass: freeing us from the number of laws for a moment, I'd like to suggest that every post ITT should be written in a certain non-regular English accent of the poster's choice, to spice things up a little.

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

With :wedass: freeing us from the number of laws for a moment, I'd like to suggest that every post ITT should be written in a certain non-regular English accent of the poster's choice, to spice things up a little.

Strewth mate, that's a bloody ripper of an idea. :beerpal: *agrees in Australian*

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

Stoner Sloth posted:

Strewth mate, that's a bloody ripper of an idea. :beerpal: *agrees in Australian*

Ehh, toast with honey, also coffee. Was quite good tbh, how about you?

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

This poster loves this thread

lol

thread is now forcing me to ponder the technical definition of a "pronoun." do we mean just the common/accepted ones, or does like "xe" count? are we really expected to post without "it" and "this" not in reference to a person?

I suspect what was meant was "commonly accepted personal pronouns"

Stoner Sloth

Goons Are Great posted:

Ehh, toast with honey, also coffee. Was quite good tbh, how about you?

Pretty good mate, and sounds like a good brekky - honey on toast is a nice start to the day.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Manifisto posted:

The law is the law man, no pronouns! The founding fathers knew what they were saying!

alnilam

what about demonstrative articles or whatever they're called, like "this" alone is a pronoun but "this cheesecake" is not i think

Goons Are Gifts

Does this only go for english pronouns? Because some non-english wants sound very similar, too.

Android Blues

Manifisto posted:

lol

thread is now forcing me to ponder the technical definition of a "pronoun." do we mean just the common/accepted ones, or does like "xe" count? are we really expected to post without "it" and "this" not in reference to a person?

Sadly, no. "It" and "this" in their pronoun use cases are still pronouns, and the letter of the law is pretty clear re: "no more pronouns at all".

If a pronoun directly adjoins the noun to which it refers, though, it's technically a determiner (a type of adjective), so in some cases words that are usually pronouns may be allowed. For instance, "this poster loves this thread" is in the clear, while "this poster loves this thread, and wants to kiss and marry it" would be in violation on the it only, as it's the sole pronoun-like object in the sentence that isn't being used to explain an adjacent noun. The others are determiners!

If the pronoun-like word is remote in the clause from the noun to which it refers, it's a pronoun rather than a determiner and stands in violation. Another way of thinking about it is that determiners explain a noun, while pronouns replace a noun entirely.

i had forgotten about determiners until after the law passed but i feel they will add a horrible wrinkle of complication to this good law that i begged people not to vote for

Android Blues

alnilam posted:

what about demonstrative articles or whatever they're called, like "this" alone is a pronoun but "this cheesecake" is not i think

yeah this!

also, as a side note, articles are fine. "a" and "the" are perfectly legal and can serve as cludgy pseudo-pronouns in a pinch.

roomforthetuna

No pronouns, only amateur nouns.

A law proposal!

The first poster to correctly call out a violation of a law, not including their own violations, gets a point. A false or mistaken accusation wins a 6 hour probation.

Android Blues

roomforthetuna posted:

A law proposal!

The first poster to correctly call out a violation of a law, not including their own violations, gets a point. A false or mistaken accusation wins a 6 hour probation.

I'm in favour of empowering our legislators to seek out trespass like meat-hungry dogs. Aye!

alnilam

wait how are we going to handle "so much this"

Android Blues

alnilam posted:

wait how are we going to handle "so much this"

i was low key hoping someone would stumble into this trap unawares and be devoured, but yeah, "so much this" is going to be illegal now. luckily, the law mandating it provides a fully legal and equivalent alternative in "epic same"

Goons Are Gifts

At point is easier to just keep certain types of words out of sentence. Will make hard for law proposals but got to start somewhere am right?

sb hermit

roomforthetuna posted:

A law proposal!

aye

alnilam

roomforthetuna posted:

A law proposal!

epically aye same of this

ty manifisto

bird.

roomforthetuna posted:

A law proposal!

The quoted is now Law.

bird.

Android Blues posted:

The quoted is now Law.

Android Blues

Poster Android Blues requests praise per text of Law 6, humbly, though with knowledge of poster's inalienable rights.

roomforthetuna

Law 6 failed to specify a time/post limit, and is thus unfortunately not enforceable. :(

alnilam

roomforthetuna posted:

Law 6 failed to specify a time/post limit, and is thus unfortunately not enforceable. :(

oh snap

alnilam

tiny lawyer waving papers around like "android blues was offered services to help write airtight legislation but nooo that poster was sure the situation was handled, well look at the situation now!"

ty manifisto

alnilam

this poster will praise android blues for being good poster

Goons Are Gifts

alnilam posted:

this poster will praise android blues for being good poster

Standing up for justice

sb hermit

Goons Are Great posted:

Standing up for justice

aye

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Android Blues

roomforthetuna posted:

alnilam posted:

tiny lawyer waving papers around like "android blues was offered services to help write airtight legislation but nooo that poster was sure the situation was handled, well look at the situation now!"

poster Android Blues regrets negative tenor of previous interactions with tiny lawyer ... the poster's arrogance has brought a poster low

alnilam

the day is Saturday, did the opposite day law ever pass because that law would be v difficult. only talk in pronouns somehow??

ty manifisto

sb hermit

I propose that all law proposals must be prefixed by an mspaint style hand drawn image of a cute creature, as long as the creature is sincerely considered as cute by the poster.

So this could be canines, felines, ants, spiders, etc.

bird.

i put all the plastic toys in a circle on the top of a mountain off the trail in a little circle, because i felt the plastic and just the toys themselves carried bad energy -- who won, i had forgot about this? you arent getting the toys those are up at like 5-10k elevation now but i can send you a pizza, a byob fav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird.

instinct tells me android blues won, not just i guess in terms of fake arbitrary points, but spiritually, which matters more