Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's their go to insult. They said it about Obama too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

they were cool when i started reading them but didnt change and eventually didnt appeal to me anymore

there we go, much better

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome
I grew up as a big fan of Mad, I had a bunch of the paperback compilations of Spy vs Spy, Snappy Answers, Don Martin, and more. I would pick up the magazine when I could.

Between the ages of 9-14 I thought Mad was about as edgy and funny as anything could be but eventually I grew out of it, I think most people do. I'm sad to see it go but also I'm pretty surprised it's still around.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Not surprising considering it was mostly a thing that parents bought for their kids on road trip stops to gas stations but it still produces some gold Simpsons material

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG_f0_jfHRU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is what flamethrowers are meant for.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Synthbuttrange posted:

Honestly though when was the last time anyone read a mad magazine? It was probably the 80s for me OH GOD IM OLD

for some inexplicable reason my dad used them as stocking stuffers for Christmas for ages. I was always good for exactly one MAD Magazine and one Rolling Stone a year.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Joan Carnella is just edgier we live in a society

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SilvergunSuperman posted:

This is what flamethrowers are meant for.

turn your monitor on

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Looks like the original photoshop thread idea started on Mad.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's their go to insult. They said it about Obama too

It's bipartisan.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MAD gave Antonio Prohías a platform and for that reason it loving owned. I'm sad to see it go but surprised that it lasted this long.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I remember once years ago seeing a 60 Minutes or something about MAD. Apparently they discovered the magazine had one single subscriber in Haiti who suddenly cancelled his subscription. So they sent some of the staff to Haiti just to track the kid down at his house to beg him him into subscribe again.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

As a 90s kid, both Mad and Nick at Nite gave me a window into history. If you had any of Mads super special issues, they tended to be full of reprinted older material. So, I'd get a lil history lesson of life and culture in the 70s.

If you're looking for old Mad on the cheap their old paperbacks are perfect.

My favorite special issue. All about death. Still has the bonus stuff. It was neat reading about Archie Bunkers death, then finally getting to watch All in the Family on Nick at Nite many years later.

Reprinted early Mads. Love this cowboy joke, kept thinking about it while playing RDR2.

Mad fold in, courtesy of my dumb hands.

My favorite issue. Bought around 4th of July when I was in middle school.

Last, here's Crackeds first issue when they were trying to be hip with the teens.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I always liked Dave Berg. Also 90s Mad still had a lot of good material, Monroe and all that hosed up Tom Bunk stuff really stuck with me. The back catalogue stuff (60s/70s/80s annuals, the full colour reprints of 50s issues they did ~20 years ago, some of the paperbacks like Three Ring Mad) did a lot to shape my sense of humour and general knowledge and I honestly have no idea if it holds up but I'll always remember it fondly. Rip I guess.

Also Al Jaffee is a machine

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:patriot:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

it used to have teeth but then the internet came along and kinda ate its lunch

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the aristocrats!

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
My mom let me read MAD starting when I was like 7-8 which seemed truly transgressive, especially in '80s rural Nebraska. I got in trouble for bringing an issue with me on the bus to school and a dumbass kid told his mom that we were looking at naked women lol. My mom just told me not to bring it outside the house anymore.

Anyway yeah it started to suck in the '90s as the original writers died or got stale and they couldn't find replacement talent. I'm assuming at this point it was existing solely as a money laundering scheme.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6le600NWk0

wafflestomper96
Jul 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Real edgy stuff

I thought gbs had matured

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

to add to my dismissive post earlier, i loved mad as a kid. i first read the big hardcover volumes from when it was a comic book in '52 and then read a shitload of old paperback collections. i held antonio prohias in high regard and read that big spy vs spy collection/retrospective over and over. but since then most of the people whose work i enjoyed have passed, and i can't be bothered to care.

i checked comixology and those first, comic book issues are p cheap, but i don't see anything between that and the aughts. it's a bummer.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

to add to my dismissive post earlier, i loved mad as a kid. i first read the big hardcover volumes from when it was a comic book in '52 and then read a shitload of old paperback collections. i held antonio prohias in high regard and read that big spy vs spy collection/retrospective over and over. but since then most of the people whose work i enjoyed have passed, and i can't be bothered to care.

i checked comixology and those first, comic book issues are p cheap, but i don't see anything between that and the aughts. it's a bummer.
I never enjoyed MAD magazine but my stepbrother had a bunch of books by MAD artists (as well as a ton of Groening's old Life in Hell comics) and they were really important to me.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Much like this dead gay forum, Mad still produced some quality stuff in its old age

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i also read a lot of life in hell in my preteens but that's a whole other Thing for me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

i also read a lot of life in hell in my preteens but that's a whole other Thing for me
I think Akbar and Jeff were the healthiest example of a gay relationship I had in the late 90s. Weird time for America.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think Akbar and Jeff were the healthiest example of a gay relationship I had in the late 90s. Weird time for America.

I agree on both counts.

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FactsAreUseless posted:

IIRC, they were in The Village Voice for years, yes? I can't recall reading them elsewhere.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

FactsAreUseless posted:

absolutely.

i had one of the books as a kid. also liked how "life in hell" explored child abuse through bongo's relationship with binky

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 5, 2019

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
gently caress! I just saw there was a new version of Mad and subscribed, like, 3 weeks ago!

I have about 30 of the paperback books, and most issues from the 70's and 80's. That magazine meant a ton to me growing up.

Jack Davis was always my favorite artist. Al Jaffee and Sergio Aragones were always great too.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

wrong hair color and tiny ears

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

absolutely.

i had one of the books as a kid. also liked how "life in hell" explored child abuse through bongo's relationship with binky

hell yeah. sometimes my mom would take me to her office and when no one saw i would photocopy akbar and jeff comics to make my own, curated collections. sorry for the toner costs mom.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

hell yeah. sometimes my mom would take me to her office and when no one saw i would photocopy akbar and jeff comics to make my own, curated collections. sorry for the toner costs mom.

that rules

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Much like this dead gay forum, Mad still produced some quality stuff in its old age

wow.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Youth Decay posted:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

edward gorey would be proud

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

If you're looking for old Mad on the cheap their old paperbacks are perfect.

They released a DVD-ROM with scans of every issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-MAD-Magazine-50-Years/dp/B000HKMQ64

Apparently they're all circa-2004 PDF scans, so probably not the highest quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

My favorite special issue. All about death. Still has the bonus stuff. It was neat reading about Archie Bunkers death, then finally getting to watch All in the Family on Nick at Nite many years later.

I actually kept the "I am an atheist. In case of accident or injury, please do not call a priest" card in my wallet.

The manual for the Panasony suicide machine also ruled.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 5, 2019