Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

real disappointed at the lack of clumsy wordplay.

...INGRATE again

FAKE america SNAKE again

...BREAK again

and so on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnear
Nov 3, 2010
Didn't really have any connection with MAD. I occasionally picked out a few at the library ages and ages ago, mostly because they had the Spy vs Spy strip, which an NES game was based on. I thought it was mildly accusing occasionally and just crude otherwise. It had a pretty long run though. No shame in moving on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked to pick up issues at the library when I was in school. I liked the cartoons and movie parodies.

Anyone watch MadTV? Will Sasso was great

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
drat, without MAD where will I get my jokes about hippies and lawyers.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

My brother had the Super Special with this flag. He even put it up on the wall.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
my first mad magazine was the one with the apology letter from firestone tires. "only our round tires made of rubber are affected."

i remember i was bummed when they first started putting paid ads in. i stopped subscribing shortly after that

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
surprised it took this long. shame they had to start running ads and using the glossy paper a long while back, a couple of things bill gaines was always adamantly against. it was surprising to see when they did that, but i get it, it let the magazine last another like 15 years

btw the book "good days and mad" by dick debartolo is a great read and a fun insight into the magazine and all its contributors in its heyday. probably out of print now though. love that book (and mad magazine obviously) when i was young

rip mad i enjoyed buying you every week at the 7-11, then subscribing for years, and buying old rear end back issues from the now non-existent weird rear end second hand book/magazine stores when i was a kid. i still have my giant collection probably somewhere

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Sleeveless posted:

drat, without MAD where will I get my jokes about hippies and lawyers.

Confirms my theory MAD was written for boomers.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
remember melvin and jenkins ?

reminds me alot out the humor that used to be here a more refined good idea/bad idea stuff

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Justin Godscock posted:

Confirms my theory MAD was written for boomers.

I don't think that's a very controversial theory. It was written specifically for counter-culture boomers back in the day. In a lot of ways it never really moved on from that ideal.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol I literally just subscribed like three months ago when I found out they were still around. I wonder if my subscription automatically cancels. I remember when they canceled SWATPRO magazine they converted his subscription to Sports Illustrated For Kids without even asking permission lol

A lot of 90s mad was great. The fake four page 99 cent store flyer will always be my favorite and that came out in like 1998. I also loved The Jalopy Shopper. Vehicle has 900,000 miles, drives like 600,000 miles.

EugeneJ posted:

They released a DVD-ROM with scans of every issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-MAD-Magazine-50-Years/dp/B000HKMQ64

Apparently they're all circa-2004 PDF scans, so probably not the highest quality

I have this and the scans are very good. They are even searchable. Like text on some guy's shirt will show up in the search field. It's awesome. I also just learned it's worth $150.

Damo posted:

surprised it took this long. shame they had to start running ads and using the glossy paper a long while back, a couple of things bill gaines was always adamantly against. it was surprising to see when they did that, but i get it, it let the magazine last another like 15 years

They got rid of the real ads again a few years ago.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

Whaaaaaat?! If I had known If have picked up some issues here and there.

Ads are what killed Mad for me. Something about looking on the back cover and seeing an ad for Oddworld Munchs Odyssey kills me inside.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When DC Comics moved their offices from NYC to LA, they took MAD with them. All the old dudes working there didn't want to pack up and move so they quit. This prompted DC to relaunch the magazine. I knew that would be the death knell. MAD was a very specific type of humor, counter culture boomer humor, as someone mentioned earlier.

Gilbert Gottfried has interviewed several of the writers/artists on his podcast (his co-host used to write for it as well). I definitely recommend checking it out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I picked this up a good few years ago.

It has pretty much all of Prohias's Spy vs Spy strips, various sketches and roughs, historical essays and even some of his political cartoon work from before he fled Cuba. It also has a good chunk of the post-Prohias Spy strips as well. Well recommended if comic history and/or wordless slapstick is up your alley.

Ralph Hurley posted:

I remember once years ago seeing a 60 Minutes or something about MAD. Apparently they discovered the magazine had one single subscriber in Haiti who suddenly cancelled his subscription. So they sent some of the staff to Haiti just to track the kid down at his house to beg him him into subscribe again.

Vanityfair's 2017 Interview with Al Jaffee posted:

So you’re not getting your best ideas sitting behind a desk?

Never. That’s not how creativity works. Actually, some of the best, most inspired times I ever had with the other Mad contributors wasn’t at the office. It was when we’d go on these big group trips. Bill (Gaines) would take the entire staff on vacations, and we’d go all over the world. He took us to Greece, to the Soviet Union, to Thailand and on an African safari.

And that got your creative juices flowing?

Sometimes it was just about cracking ourselves up. The first trip we ever took was to Haiti. All the Mad artists and writers, we went over to Haiti.

That’s a weird place to take a company retreat.

It was, sure. It was ostensibly about bonding as a group, everybody getting to know each other a little better. But the second day we’re there, Bill rents a bunch of Jeeps, and he tells us “We’re going to visit someone.”

That’s all he tells you?

We have no clue what’s happening. So we all get in these jeeps, and we drive out to some neighborhood in Haiti, and pull up in front of a house. Bill knocks on the door, a guy answers, and Bill says to him, “We’ve all come here to find out why you canceled your subscription to Mad.”

No he didn’t!

He really did. [Laughs] This guy was Mad’s only Haitian reader, and Bill didn’t want to lose him. So he brought the entire staff to his doorstep. We all just started begging, “What can we do? Come back to us!” He eventually said yes. And the guy next door, his neighbor, he became a subscriber too. So we left Haiti with two new Mad readers.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Imagine being some kid whose mom cancelled your sub because things were getting tight, and opening the door a month later to find a bunch of counterculture greybeards whose feelings you'd hurt by it.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
thought it died in the 80s. never seen a magazine in real life

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Al Jaffee is like 98 years old, i think its time for him to have a rest

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I was sent home from the sixth grade end-of-school picnic because I had a copy of MAD in my backpack. I wasn't even reading it, I let my dickhead friend Brian look at it and he started running around and showing everyone this picture of a lesbian wedding with vibrators??? or something????

They called my mom and she came to school and said it was dumb and then took me to the loving mall so SUCK IT, MRS. HIGGINS!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just wanna say Don Martin owns, and I remember reading his still new comics in MAD when I was a kid.

However, I gotta say I always hated how he drew feet with the toes curled in. I know it’s a signature of his artwork, but *Ren & Stimpy horse voice* no sir, I don’t like it. This is a hill I will die on.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Local Weather posted:

I don't think that's a very controversial theory. It was written specifically for counter-culture boomers back in the day. In a lot of ways it never really moved on from that ideal.

MAD was National Lampoon without the rape and cocaine so it's definitely the lesser of two evils when it comes to smug rebellious boomers.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

lol I literally just subscribed like three months ago when I found out they were still around. I wonder if my subscription automatically cancels. I remember when they canceled SWATPRO magazine they converted his subscription to Sports Illustrated For Kids without even asking permission lol

A lot of 90s mad was great. The fake four page 99 cent store flyer will always be my favorite and that came out in like 1998. I also loved The Jalopy Shopper. Vehicle has 900,000 miles, drives like 600,000 miles.

I have this and the scans are very good. They are even searchable. Like text on some guy's shirt will show up in the search field. It's awesome. I also just learned it's worth $150.

I just subscribed too, so I looked it what happens now. The last issue with new material will be 9 or 10, and then they'll start reprinting classic material in issues sold only at comic stores. So it'll be like the old super specials they used to constantly release. Anyway, I assume all subscriptions will be filled out that way.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mad Magazine really started to hit its nadir with the celebrity humor and "parodies." The parodies usually amounted to "I'm Bleonardo Blicrapio. I'm king of the world!" Then Bleo falls off the front of the Blitanic. The celebrity stuff was basically those realistic giant heads spouting out :words: about that celebrity's latest faux pas, as if someone at TMZ tried to write a sketch. Eventually, these took up more and more real estate, and were the majority content of that all-animated show they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy7nce5SLTs

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is easy to dismiss MAD as utter boring garbage now, just like judging Monty Python by the plague of people quoting lines from it like they are religious documents. But whenever MAD was on, it was basically the Daily Show or even Colbert Report for kids. At least, you know, decades ago. I still have fond memories of "You Never Can Win With A Bigot" highlighting how arguments with someone whose claims are based in hatred rather than logic are a waste of time. Very useful for 2016+

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

They released a DVD-ROM with scans of every issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Absolutely-MAD-Magazine-50-Years/dp/B000HKMQ64

Apparently they're all circa-2004 PDF scans, so probably not the highest quality

IIRC they're pretty decent. Besides 2004 was probably the height of scanning technology being used at a large scale since tons of stuff was being digitized back then

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
I think this sad event has created a hole in the market. I think the premier name in internet humor is well placed to enter the world of print publishing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: SAd Magazine

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Newspapers should just pay Sergio Aragones to do doodles in between stories to fill space.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Op has a subscription to GLADD Magazine

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is easy to dismiss MAD as utter boring garbage now, just like judging Monty Python by the plague of people quoting lines from it like they are religious documents. But whenever MAD was on, it was basically the Daily Show or even Colbert Report for kids. At least, you know, decades ago. I still have fond memories of "You Never Can Win With A Bigot" highlighting how arguments with someone whose claims are based in hatred rather than logic are a waste of time. Very useful for 2016+

The best kid's magazine was Zillions magazine by Consumer Reports

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JK Fresco posted:

I think this sad event has created a hole in the market. I think the premier name in internet humor is well placed to enter the world of print publishing.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present: SAd Magazine
It's time to bring back Zillions

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
When I was a little kid we had a tiny little shed/cabin building that the original home owner lived in while the house was being moved from Wichita and set onto the basement where it is now. It had the main room with a wood burning stove, an additional 'bedroom' and a garage. We used it as a shed and my dad had a large file cabinet in the 'bedroom' part where he kept all of his MAD magazines (60's and 70's era) and Reader's Digest magazines. I spent days in there reading those things.

A few years ago he gave them all to me. There's some good stuff in the old ones for sure.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I saw so many panics that this would happen one day on my FB newsfeed, I was like 'Wait MAD didn't already fold?'

A lot of illustrators saw the writing on the wall for this for a while

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

MAD lead to MAD TV which lead to Key and Peele which I loved so thanks for that!

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not old so all I know about MAD Magazine is Bart Simpson got in trouble for having it because it taught him to disrespect homework

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I only read Highlights and Highlights for learners on the obverse

Can’t wait to see what Goofus pulls this month

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That's because it's not good

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/TheHorrorMaster/status/1146845700333830144

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
ive never read a single mad but ive caught some of their comics via internet osmosis and i was always rather surprised how actually critical it is over boomer culture and poo poo like that. i just presumed it was a lovely pre-south park ~both sidesism~ in magazine format.

i liked this one

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I got a bunch of old MAD magazines (along with a bunch of old National Lampoon magazines, Freak Brothers comics, other things of that sort). Here's to hoping they skyrocket in price so I can actually get some use out of them.

I loved MAD growing up. My parents could be pretty strict on some things but for some reason MAD was always allowed. End of an era that probably should have ended earlier.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I really wish Cracked would rerelease their catalog digitally or something. Like its real weird that there's nothing. No paperbacks, nada.

It was never as good as Mad, but I really like Crackeds take on Monsters and Sci-fi stuff. I'd love a collection of every Monster Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
During one of my hospital stays after spinal surgery, my mom bought me a few issues of MAD Classics, a spinoff mag that was basically just a collection of reprinted content from past issues. Between those and a fat stack of Jughead Double Digests, they we pretty much the only thing that made the whole ordeal halfway bearable. I even ended getting a subscription, but that particular magazine ended up being discontinued just a few months later.

So thanks MAD, You made sitting in a hospital bed marginally less painful and boring. I'll miss your wacky takes on hot new movies like Rocky and The Empire Strikes Back!