Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Even as a kid desperate for comedy with like 4 channels Mad tv was too lovely to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Pastry of the Year posted:

I
This was also my experience; the reprints were not only very funny, but a pretty valuable cultural education.

I think I got most of the reprint paperbacks from garage sales but I had a bunch of them and read them multiple times as an 8-13 year old.

It's how I learned that there were problems in inner cities, that some people didn't trust the government explicitly, and some other sort of weird 70's American socio-economic problems that as a upper-middle class suburban white kid I would have never known about.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

The All Ighty Ollar!

(Loved the fold-ins and, yes, I say that all the time. I know, I know...but it's still funny to me!)

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndA69KiffJE

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Even as a kid desperate for comedy with like 4 channels Mad tv was too lovely to watch.

i watched so much mad tv even tho i hated it. its all that was on comedy central for certain blocks when i watched. i could have changed the channel but it was just background while i used the computer so i didnt look too hard

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

marijuanamancer posted:

i watched so much mad tv even tho i hated it. its all that was on comedy central for certain blocks when i watched. i could have changed the channel but it was just background while i used the computer so i didnt look too hard

MadTV was funny, but if you expected it to be like the magazine, you'd be upset. I got suckered into to watching it when it first came out because I thought, 'Gee! Mad as a show!" Aside from the Spy v. Spy bits, nothing about it was related. It was funny, though. Nice alternative to SNL (it was on Fox! haha).

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i didn't expect it to be like the magazine, because i didn't really read the magazine, but nah i just didn't think it was funny.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
michael mcdonald and brian callen were super annoying. phil lamar and aries spears were good

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

marijuanamancer posted:

i didn't expect it to be like the magazine, because i didn't really read the magazine, but nah i just didn't think it was funny.

Not your type of humor? It's okay. More House of Buggin fan or nah?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i liked about 70% of the cast back when i watched it as a teenager. a few of the sketches really left me in stitches. always loved will sasso, especially his parodies of steven seagal and kenny rogers. their claymation segments were cool too.

and mrs swan i lmao every time

marijuanamancer posted:

michael mcdonald and brian callen were super annoying. phil lamar and aries spears were good

:same:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Will Sasso made that show work, but whoever came up with the Miss Swan sketch should be drawn and quartered. Even if it was Will Sasso.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Will Sasso made that show work, but whoever came up with the Miss Swan sketch should be drawn and quartered. Even if it was Will Sasso.

She is the voice of the mom on Family Guy. Do you like that show?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I like Alex Borstein but that sketch was dogshit.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Vato posted:

She is the voice of the mom on Family Guy. Do you like that show?

She also won a Golden Globe for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel this year. Do you like that show?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

that voice makes me like 90% sure that's Harry Partridge, or "Happy Harry Cartoons." Does parodies, some funny, most are just time-wasters

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Rusty Shackelford posted:

She also won a Golden Globe for the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel this year. Do you like that show?

I've never seen it. Is it good?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Vato posted:

Yes, it's about a young couple in the 1950s, where he wants to be a comedian but she's the funny one.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Yes, it's about a young couple in the 1950s, where he wants to be a comedian but she's the funny one.

Sooo...does he make it? Don't leave me hanging!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
There are two seasons on Amazon Prime now, and I would recommend watching the first episode.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

There are two seasons on Amazon Prime now, and I would recommend watching the first episode.

I don't have Amazon Prime...but I know somewhere that does. Thanks for the recommendation.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:whitewater:

"lol 40 years ago" and so on but they still occasionally dropped some turbogarbage even in their later years like that Chelsea Manning action figure thing

And gently caress, I remember they reprinted their og star wars spoof multiple times in the 90s for full colour specials and poo poo and they definitely did not at any point feel like it might be time to excise that panel, actually. Booooooomeeeerrrrrs.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Lodin posted:

Man, this sucks. Sure MAD was poo poo since the 90's but still. Just the other day I found this pocket book published in 59.

RIP in peace sweet Alfred!

Is this Zosia Mamet from Girls?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I still think this is one of the funniest things in the world

rectal health is no joke brother HH

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I always liked the books and super specials that reprinted stuff from the 50s, 60s, & 70s when I was a kid reading them in the mid-80s, because they taught me a ton about history and pop culture before my time, and it was done entirely by mocking and making fun of those things.

i picked up tons of those MAD novel sized books from flea markets. those books made me realize the huge amount of material they reprint. i'd be reading some MAD book from the 70's and i would notice material that they reprinted in the latest issue i just bought from the news stand. after that i would always look for the bell bottom jeans in the cartoons, thats how you can tell the ancient reprints.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Vato posted:

It’s alright, Tony Shalhoub being goofy is always fun

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
MadTV sucked because it was pre-recorded yet had worse production values than Saturday Night Live. It had talented performers and writers (a lot of Mr Show alum) but nobody really gave a poo poo, so all the characters are just like The Asian and The Asian Actually Played By An Asian and The Jew and Developmentally Disabled Possibly Gay Child.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

he wants to be a comedian but she's the funny one.

Ah, a biopic about Lowtax and his daughter.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

whatheck they were still making MAD ?!?!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
MadTV was bad but there was some gold in there.

The already posted Kenny Rogers stuff, Sopranos on PAX, and I liked Babewatch but I'm a fan of Artie, so I'm biased.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
has anyone said BAD Magazine yet? :D

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

All I have is PTSD memories of Michael McDonald doing little kid talk and it was seriously the worst thing in the universe.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

The Big Word posted:

:whitewater:

"lol 40 years ago" and so on but they still occasionally dropped some turbogarbage even in their later years like that Chelsea Manning action figure thing

And gently caress, I remember they reprinted their og star wars spoof multiple times in the 90s for full colour specials and poo poo and they definitely did not at any point feel like it might be time to excise that panel, actually. Booooooomeeeerrrrrs.

yeeeeah that was like the only mad i ever owned and i bought it in 97 for the star wars special edition run

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Will Sasso is a national treasure

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

pretty soft girl posted:

Will Sasso is a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d82j_Qfp_VA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_l-4rAUAzQ

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i also watched a lot of madtv as a kid, and while i don't remember any of it as "good" i do remember a lot of it. that's what you did when you didn't have cable in 2003

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

MadTV was bad but there was some gold in there.

The already posted Kenny Rogers stuff, Sopranos on PAX, and I liked Babewatch but I'm a fan of Artie, so I'm biased.

Sopranos on PAX was just Pallies from Mr Show, which was itself a blatant ripoff of a British sketch show's censored Goodfellas sketch.

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i also watched a lot of madtv as a kid, and while i don't remember any of it as "good" i do remember a lot of it. that's what you did when you didn't have cable in 2003

I had cable and for a lot of the 00s Comedy Central was mostly SNL reruns with the odd MadTV rerun to break them up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Him doing commentary on the ultra-widescreen is great. Sasso was one of those guys who was way too good for that show.

Eventually, Mad TV got way too involved with over-acting, recurring character skits that followed the same formula each time, and skits that "read well at the table," like SNL is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It was kinda neat to see animated Spy vs Spy cartoons in MadTV while they still did that. Maybe I’ll pick up a trade paperback compilation of those someday.