Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

uhDAAAHHRIA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
Was there outrage about this show by right wing reactionaries because if it came out today there sure would be.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Sick sad world is an amazing name for a news show.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Was there outrage about this show by right wing reactionaries because if it came out today there sure would be.

Definitely for Beavis and Butthead but it's all been negated by Mike Judge being a huge neocon dickhead.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

xtal posted:

Daria is cool because it's a show from the 90s that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't ended up being racist or something

I've rewatched it semi-recently and the only now-frowned-upon thing I noticed was that there's an episode where a lesbian hits on I think Jane and the script acts like that's cause for :derp: It's not any worse than other stuff of the 90s, but it's definitely noticeably from before the gay rights movement and a little cringey now.

If it's not :filez: I can post a site where they have the versions with the original music, but to be honest you won't miss it too much in the DVD versions, especially if that's your first time seeing it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
you guys know they're making a spinoff series about Jodie, right?

e: oh somebody posted this on page 2
well, it's still true, here on page 3

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YUwNlb-tY

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RfbUl3iDOdc&list=PLdZscQwUlgP62IU5tQSs_BQshF-ZUFtfZ&index=8

I re-watch it almost every year. Its a fun show with a lot of heart.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
darias problem was that she was different, not like all the other girls, who are the same, and also not her friend, who is also different

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

bring back old gbs posted:

darias problem was that she was different, not like all the other girls, who are the same, and also not her friend, who is also different

Wasn't her anus composed of interlocking plates that slid open in a spiral movement with a "SCHWEEEUUUH" sound.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Wasn't her anus composed of interlocking plates that slid open in a spiral movement with a "SCHWEEEUUUH" sound.

Well I mean obviously. This thread is for discussion of more nuanced themes of the show that one must read between the lines to truly comprehend

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

walker told me i have aids

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
I started rewatching this today for the first time in forever and it's funny but the more I think about it the more I believe it really contributed to me being a total rear end in a top hat in middle and high school

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

bring back old gbs posted:

Wow I bet any teens reading this post from the 90s feel loving owned

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcLJ38EdM0

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Wow I bet any teens reading this post from the 90s feel loving owned
Lmao

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

Sometimes I say to myself "betrayalll, yeah stabbed in the back" like Jane's brother's Mystik Spiral song

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Helpful Corn would be a pretty good band name

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Daria came around just in time to replace my previous favorite show, Pete & Pete. It made me feel jaded about high school well before I was in highschool.

High school wound up being fine though

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

whoa

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

She even looks like a cartoon character, holy poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Wicker Man posted:

She even looks like a cartoon character, holy poo poo.
It's good makeup work

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Daria was good but I always liked Mission Hill more

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
i liked mission hill but that was like one season. and it was a very different show imo.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Yeah I agree, but I thought this was the "mid 90's adult cartoon nostalgia thread", my bad if I read that wrong

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
as far as teen cartoon comedies go, daria and clone high were my favorites

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Yeah I agree, but I thought this was the "mid 90's adult cartoon nostalgia thread", my bad if I read that wrong

i mean i really only intended it to be about daria. mission hill was cool though.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think what I like about Daria is that there really isn't a villain, aside from the principal maybe. In any other show the quarterback and cheerleader would be the antagonist, but here they're really cool with her and can just turn up at her house no problem.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Gee Quinn

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
wow queen.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
That bitch Sandy and her bitch mother.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Daria is literally Aubrey Plaza. This is canon.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
If I didn't remember it it was probably a lovely show, huh?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Time_pants posted:

Daria is literally Aubrey Plaza. This is canon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBQXugKu8L4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I definitely need to give this a rewatch.

Is it on the MTV app or only on Hulu?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

phasmid posted:

That bitch Sandy and her bitch mother.

sandy is the worst. the boys can't even see that she's so FAKE and doesnt even like the good music that i know about

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

YeahTubaMike posted:

as far as teen cartoon comedies go, daria and clone high were my favorites

Same. I only saw bits of Daria during its original run but watched all the episodes like 10 years ago (with the original music) and loved them. I liked that by the end of the first season the show was critical of Daria's constant veneer of misanthropy and she grew as a character after that. The only arc that feels a little played out is the whole Daria-Jane-Tom love triangle.

Clone High had the best theme song and it's criminal it only got one season.

https://youtu.be/IdapvByK_7A

Uncanny

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 6, 2019

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I must have watched Daria on MTV because I had a memory of "Hush" by Deep Purple as bumper music and I looked it up and turns out I was right

Fake edit: it was a cover of Hush but same difference. I also have a memory of Whoomp There It Is on that show, can anyone c/d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Daria is like part of a rough decade worth of shows about high school and what people thought about what for most is a tiny loving blip in our lives that somehow means more than any other 4 odd year block.

Daria is what many of us wished we could have been. (And also gotten away with.)

That 70s Show is what many claim those years were like.

Freaks and Geeks is what it really was. (lovely, miserable, and confusing.)

If we want to expand the net even some anime or whatever Nickelodeon or Disney had on could fit bits but I pretty much avoid all of it.

(Then there is of course Degrassi which seems to be to the school system what ER is to hospitals. Basically every terrible thing ever happens at one place constantly like some black hole of RIPPED FROM THE HEADLINES. )

I was in my mid 20s when Daria was on and I really liked it. Edgy enough to give a little relief from the memories of a lovely 4 years but light enough to not be wallowing misery.