Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Mine are fourth-gens (except the green one which I no-longer have), and no fourth-gens had V6 engines. The fifth gen was essentially an updated body on the fourth-gen chassis, and they did have a V6 option and had a wagon body available, but never the two were mated. All fifth-gen wagons were four-bangers. The fifth-gen v6 cars had different front subframes and an elongated front clip, meaning the fenders and hoods won't readily swap either. I'm sure someone could smash all the parts together though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Swapped the ITR wheels to my son’s car. They looked pretty good on the HEEP, but drat if they don’t look just right on my son’s lowered car. I think they’re a lot better than the 17’ Racing Hart wheels it came on as well.

Then got hosed on the steering rack swap on the same car. Turns out one of the subframe mounting holes for the steering rack is stripped. Or rather the nut welded on the backside busted its weld.

I’m not sure what to do. I’m planning to part out HEEP so I could use the subframe from it, but drat that’s a big fuckin job and I really can’t have multiple cars up in the air in my neighborhood.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cut a hole and add a nut. I've done it several times. Find a non-stressed spot, drill a big hole and enlarge it enough to wedge in a wrench and nut.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

sharkytm posted:

Cut a hole and add a nut. I've done it several times. Find a non-stressed spot, drill a big hole and enlarge it enough to wedge in a wrench and nut.

That was gonna be my suggestion. Can you get away with putting in a slot on the right side of that standoff? You might even be able to fish the original nut out of there if you've got a magnet.

Like so:

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 9, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Google rivet nuts and see if you can find something that will work for you. They work like a drywall anchor, fit through the hole and then as you pull it down it swells behind the panel, usually with a rivet gun type puller. But if you can get it to bite, you can install it by tightening a bolt in it. Some are designed to pound in to the hole so it doesn't spin as you swage it. They're commonly used to add a nut to sheet metal from the front like that.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 9, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You can also make a passable installation tool using a bolt of the same thread as the rivnut, and a nut and a star washer that are big enough for the bolt shank to pass through but small enough that the head of the bolt puts pressure on it. The nut and the star washer pin the rivnut and keep it from spinning while you torque it and compress it.

The star washer is highly consumable in this setup but if you only need to install the one, then you should be good.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I used one of these:

Rivnuts would have been great and a buddy of mine had the tool and a few nuts I could have, but it woulda been two hours of driving and the anchor was only 10 minutes away. I had a problem with the shank spinning with the nut, but two more nuts jammed on the end and locked together allowed me to keep the shank still and tighten the nut properly.

Then it started raining, probably because I now have a 1/2’ SAE bolt and nut on a Honda, angering the gods.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Car is legal, passed inspection, insured and everything. Tomorrow my son turns sixteen.

The final part-out of the Heep begins.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

trouser chili posted:

Car is legal, passed inspection, insured and everything. Tomorrow my son turns sixteen.

The final part-out of the Heep begins.

You're a good dad.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Whoa, I forgot I was maintaining this thread. Let's shove some pictures in here.

Oh....This is why: Shortly after my last update, my friend Matt (pictured on left) was killed in a car crash.

No stranger to trauma, Matt had his legs forcibly removed via car crash in the late 90's, it's a story I'm sure I've posted here in some form or another over the years, but what I didn't know at the time of those postings is that the event also represents the first time Matt's and my life crossed paths. I was freshly dropped out from high school and picked up a fairly well-paying job driving a tow-truck so that I could avoid getting kicked out the house and pay my ticket into community college. It was a bright sunny day when I first saw Matt driving his black Ford Probe. Seconds later the car was tumbling. I was running the highway Southbound in the hammer lane, running fast to my next call - a tire change. He was in the Northbound hammer lane running the ton at minimum, and not looking very stable. I'm not sure if he clipped the center divider or what, but just as we passed by all pretense of control was lost and the Probe shot across four lanes of Interstate and into the awaiting guardrail behind the breakdown lane. My view of the crash itself was through the barn-door sized side-view mirrors on the wrecker and I could see the rear end of the Ford lift to the sky as the nose submarined under the guardrail. The car was splitting at the firewall, with the bulk of the body flipping over the front clip.

The car was still crashing when I lit up my radios. Cell phones were still rare at the time, but I had a nearly direct-line to local and state police via the radio, and they were getting info from me regarding the crash before the dust had begun to settle. My shop gave instruction to continue to my tire change and stand by. I did the tire change and shortly after was called to assist the recovery. My supervisor and I recovered the car, which was split about 80/20. Then we recovered one of Matt's legs, which was also split about 80/20, and then the other one, which was worse. The meatwagon guys hadn't found Matt's legs, not surprisingly as they were in the tall weeds down the embankment. Deciding the top-half of Matt was the most important part they absconded long ago, so the cops took the legs to the hospital. We recovered the car in two pieces and aside the latest round of psychological trauma endemic to the job, the day was done. Later the EMTs told me it's likely I saved that man's life. They told me they replaced all his blood twice before handing him over to the trauma ward.

Fifteen years or so passed and I never forgot that day. In fact it played in regular late night syndication on channel "my brain needs to go to sleep". An old childhood friend moved back from NYC. He eventually started rooming with this guy named Matt, who rolled on a chair and had no legs. We started hanging out at Matt's frequently enough, and he moved from someone within my social circle to a good friend. But I never asked him about the legs and he never volunteered me the story. My thought process was I didn't want to make a point of the fact that he had no legs, he already had to live it every moment of every day. So if he wanted to tell the story he could, but I would not make him. Eventually I overheard him tell the story to someone that did ask, rather pointedly and nearly immediately after meeting him, what the deal was. Gregarious as he was, Matt began telling the story, and I immediately began filling in the details. It all clicked. Matt now had just 16 months left to live, and now that I've typed that I just realized the person that asked him the story (also named Matt), had just over 24 months left to live as he died in a motorcycle crash November this year.

This picture was taken the last time we hung out, early October 2019. We always spent the first weekend of that month camping. The picture is altered slightly to help the composition, but the effect is real and was created by a laser shooting through the smoke of the fire.

Here's the two Matts letting everyone know what they think of us now that they're both dead. This picture was taken within minutes of the first time I heard him tell the crash story and the revelation regarding our previous connection. They hang on each other like brothers, but only first met a couple hours prior. That's how he rolled.

I guess now that that's written I can maybe write about cars again. Maybe not, the story keeps playing in my head. Something in my brain demands reason beyond happenstance. The soul of that man outsized the body that remained, and his affable personality poured out and infected everyone nearby. I don't know if it was the crash that made him that way, but I do know that job jaded me and turned me cynical. Meeting Matt and understanding how his story continued unabetted by the trauma he experienced and I witnessed has healed me of much of that, and continues to heal me. I never told him.

Matt didn't own a car, but he loved to stickerbomb things just the same. I created these stickers and gave thousands of them away to people all across the country, as Matt had many friends. If you ever see one I'd love to know where you found it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dang, dude. What a story.

I’m sorry you’ve lost two great friends.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Excellent brutal writeup. I'm sorry for your loss. This year sucks.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
drat.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Krakkles posted:

Thanks. I really haven't even begun to process "second" Matt's death, whom I've actually known much longer. Married to his high-school sweetheart, a girl I've known since gradeschool, his persona and appearance belied his intelligence. I'm not even sure he knew just how sharp he really was. Maybe that sounds stupid, but I know several people that appear the same...maybe it's a Missouri thing.

This year does indeed suck, and I missed the October camping trip this year due to my own illness. Next year's October camping is gonna be rough. Throughout the decades I had to pair down my personal activities to focus on my family and career. October camping was my release, a brief weekend in a place with no data services, no way to be reached, and nothing to worry about except the rain. I'm just not sure I want to go there and face what's now missing.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Better happier content: Who likes water crossings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRItk-EMXc0

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

If nothing else, it says a lot about Matt - and about our beloved OP - to earn a eulogy like that.

Condolences, dude.

Also, water crossings are awesome.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
While setting up the trailer to leave the Gambler my son practices some car control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hRq1p-iM_k

The above was pretty much the last run for the car. I drove it to work just once after during a snow. The water pipe on the backside of the engine let go and it puked all its coolant on the drive home.

This is it, the last time the car parked itself under its own power.

The teardown began. I ripped the lift kit from it, and the wheels obviously. Anything I thought could be useful was taken.

The lawnmower got a seating upgrade.

My son dropped the engine and transmission.

Schwags acted like an rear end in a top hat, as usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGWNJt3Cc64

HEEP went to go live on a farm where it could run and frolic with the other Hondas. This is a magical place with an endless supply 10mm sockets!

Just kidding, it’s on the slow boat from China by now after being reconstituted as harbor freight jackstands.

ITR stuff to come later...

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 31, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Something about that tow-away photo triggered me so I re-read the thread but didn't have to go past the first post:

trouser chili posted:

I bought it for nothing more than the rear glass, an NLA part.

Strange story arc.

trouser chili posted:

his persona and appearance belied his intelligence. I'm not even sure he knew just how sharp he really was. Maybe that sounds stupid, but I know several people that appear the same...maybe it's a Missouri thing.

Maybe, the only friend from MO I've ever had can be described this exact same way. Except he probably knew because over the course of our friendship he obtained his Ph.D in robotics and AI, fully funded by the DOD. He's hilarious, like he'd be all "Today I tried to teach a robot to interpret what the front of a chair is, so I could verbally order it to move to the right of the chair. It's a lot harder than it sounds. But enough about work, time to get liquored up!"

Sorry for your loss, sounds like the world is worse for it.

edit: also, https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-acura-integra-type-r-35/

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 2, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just randomly clicked on the thread because I was curious on what level of irony the threat title was running, and it turned out to be an awesome project wagon, and really bummer with your friend. Sometimes cars are bad, drive safe goons.

A few weeks ago I signed up for our local gambler equivalent's winter edition. Start is end of February so I had time, but still needed a car since I didn't have a stable of Accords. Ta-da:

Got it cheap because it barely ran due to a cut TPS wire and faulty EGR valve and had cosmetic issues. The former is fixed and it drives well now (for the 82hp it's got) and the latter I'll tackle after posting this. Basically my plan was similar to what you've done to the Accord, minus the subframe lift.

How did the tires do? I have some generic winters on right now, and unfortunately can't (legally) put bigger tires than 175/65 R14 (or 165/55 R15). The best I could find are these Ziarelli Mud Power at 185/65 R14 which might be close enough to fly under the radar.

Also, any ideas on lifting the thing on the cheap, is it feasible to DIY somehow? I don't really want to spend half the car's cost on the kit that I won't keep on permanently (the rear suspension isn't adjustable for toe).

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
the old man is busy so i figured i'd post a little update on the wags and the ITR

my wag is running okay-ish, we put the JDM ITR rims on with some old Falken Azenis' that were originally on the ITR.
neither me or dad can tune a car for poo poo. she doesn't like to engage into VTEC at wide open throttle at all and my rear bumper looks like somebody's rubbed charcoal on it from the car poppin', bangin', and flamin' all the time.
i'm planning on lowering it even more on some BC racing coils when i feel like spending the money and not just looking at my cart.

we got the teg running, here's a sexy picture of it all wet
you can see my fart can exhaust and bumper in this picture, it's gotten way darker then that.

i'm trouser chili's son if you didn't figure that out already.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Oh poo poo it's TC Jr. That's gotta be some kinda first, right? Father and son posting in the same stupid forum? You guys are like the Griffeys.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Please follow your dad around asking if there are stairs in his house, thank you and god bless.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
That's father, son, and mother there. Looks like white wheels were the dominant gene, but the boy has no hope for torque.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

trouser chili posted:

That's father, son, and mother there. Looks like white wheels were the dominant gene, but the boy has no hope for torque.

Out of those three engines, the Miata has the least amount of torque and the B18c5 has the most. Although my H22A1 is definitely lacking cause of the tune + big ol’ hot air intake.

edit: I was wrong. The H22A makes more torques then the B18C5.

benro fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 24, 2021

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Don't listen to children. The ITR is 130lb-feet, the H22A should be 158lb-feet. It would probably feel like more without the big rear end.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh poo poo it's TC Jr. That's gotta be some kinda first, right? Father and son posting in the same stupid forum? You guys are like the Griffeys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzOV0VDZBYs

Nintendo, I own two copies of this drat cartridge.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Mmmmmmmulti-generational posting ITT.

Little trouser, get to making babies so we can have 3 gens in one thread.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
And props to your wife for rocking them, but those Blues plates are pretty, uh, plain. Illinois can get Cardinals plates but not Blues. What bullshit that is.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

sharkytm posted:

not anytime soon lol, babies are yucky and they look weird.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And props to your wife for rocking them, but those Blues plates are pretty, uh, plain. Illinois can get Cardinals plates but not Blues. What bullshit that is.

i think the blues plates are good looking, the new missouri plates are pretty plain anyway you go about it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

sharkytm posted:

The way I caught him and the girlfriend the other day I think they may be trying.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

trouser chili posted:

The way I caught him and the girlfriend the other day I think they may be trying.

:vince:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

trouser chili posted:

:drat:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvPvnwbYEPU

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
:golfclap: touché, father, touché. :golfclap:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
You just wait till we get your mother in here. @Little Bit, you out there?

Wait...Ben, you have drugs?

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 26, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Not only is she a goon, she's been a goon longer than me?

Also Ben you have to share drugs, didn't your father teach you that?

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

trouser chili posted:

You just wait till we get your mother in here.

Mom has a loving SA account? I am late to the party.

Krakkles posted:

Also Ben you have to share drugs, didn't your father teach you that?

Getting called my name by somebody named “Krakkles” is loving weird.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

benro posted:

Getting called my name by somebody named “Krakkles” is loving weird.

Krakkles and I have hung out in SoCal once or twice in a fever dream, also Riverside. I remember a fairly drunken taco bell run from before you existed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Krakkles and I have hung out in SoCal once or twice in a fever dream, also Riverside. I remember a fairly drunken taco bell run from before you existed.
And, for what it's worth, I wasn't trying to be weird, just mimicking your old man. Sorry :)

Also, dude, that was a loooooong time ago. I hope at some point it can happen again, somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Krakkles posted:

Also, dude, that was a loooooong time ago. I hope at some point it can happen again, somehow!

Come to STL sometime. We live in the non-shooty part it's pretty nice, but the shooty part is more fun we can go there too.