Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
we went crazy on wagons today.
tuning, wrenching, goofin', goonin'
dad got me BCRacing BR series coils for me wagon. and it was nice out today.
i put another o2 sensor in the car cause it loving eats them. we also re-wired where the o2 sensor goes into the ECU, so now it's correct :)

and of course we lowered the coils as far as they'll go. will upload pictures tomorrow with banana for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Given everything we’ve found wrong on that car I’m surprised it drove from California to St. Louis.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

trouser chili posted:

Given everything we’ve found wrong on that car I’m surprised it drove from California to St. Louis.

Those cars always were pretty hardy.

Witness my '92 Vigor being perfectly drivable with the trunk crushed up to the rear window. I had a '92 Accord wagon that withstood a 90° hit to the front left corner at 30mph. Not only did it still run, but it tracked straight afterwards. They both had problems before being wrecked and still worked.

I miss those cars, especially the Vigor. Not quick, but it handled very well and had no speed limiter. Accord, but better and far weirder.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

madeintaipei posted:

I had a '92 Accord wagon that withstood a 90° hit to the front left corner at 30mph. Not only did it still run, but it tracked straight afterwards.

mine has been hit in passenger rear. hard enough to earn it a salvage title and all that. trunk doesn't close quite right and passenger rear door is kinda wonky, everything is shifted to up and to the right slightly but other then that it's all good.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

benro posted:

mine has been hit in passenger rear. hard enough to earn it a salvage title and all that. trunk doesn't close quite right and passenger rear door is kinda wonky, everything is shifted to up and to the right slightly but other then that it's all good.

The Vigor was my mother's. She wanted me to have it for a first car but couldn't afford another vehicle. I found a little Saturn for $800, put $200 of brakes and tires on it, then traded her for the Acura.

It was, maybe, too fast of a car for me. Got me through some hard times and kept me safe during the crash though. I still measure steering feel and handling against how that car was.

Traded 3/4 of a Vigor for the Accord wagon outright. Wagon was kind of a mess. My mechanic's girlfriend's show car. They yanked the speaker boxes, put the stock wheels back on, and threw the back seats in without bolts. 2 inch lift, A/C delete, power steering delete, 4 inch exhaust from the manifold back, with a fart can on the end, neon everywhere. Neighbors hated it until they needed to move something, lol.

I'd leave the keys in it in the middle of the worst neighborhood in Huntsville. Sometimes you'd see someone had moved it half-way out of the parking spot, then had given up fighting the steering.

After the wreck, the car was given to my best friend. Her husband drove it for a year, then gave it to one of our friends. Said friend gave it to his brother, who gave it to his cousin, who finally had the head gasket blow.

Long story, I know. Shows you how well these things lasted.

Hats off to you for nursing an old soldier!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

benro posted:

I’m reading this and thinking “hey that sounds a lot like my car!” :ms:

Ya know, I think we got a friend down southern Missouri way with a frame machine. Well, she used to. Maybe we could get it pulled. It’s just so slightly bent somewhere that a straight pull could bring it out.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

trouser chili posted:

Ya know, I think we got a friend down southern Missouri way with a frame machine. Well, she used to. Maybe we could get it pulled. It’s just so slightly bent somewhere that a straight pull could bring it out.

we also have a tractor and ratchet straps. and hammers.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
so i got some pics.

she's low low now. and no banana for scale, had to grab an orange instead.

the ITR is monstertrucking compared to the wagon now.

fitment is pretty tight, wish i had some 16 inch white TE37's to through on it though...

ugly old coils. yuck yuck
i wish i had taken a picture of the BC BR series coils before we put em on, i was too busy drooling over how nice they looked.

here's a comparison to the next gen wagon and an odyssey.

i know that i'll have to make it an inch higher, cause it scrapes on pinecones now. i'm just enjoying it how it is right now.
anybody know how to tune? could really use some pointers cause we can't tune for poo poo. it's the only thing that's stopping it from driving now.

other car updates:
i fuckin destroyed a tire on the TLX... pothole after snow clearing got my rear end.
RL has to get registered in missouri like yesterday.
ITR is up for inspection.
my car is FAR past inspection date. it doesn't get driven though, sad
since dad flip flops from Florida to Missouri, it's hard to get work done sometimes. i'd like to say that's what has stopped us from getting the wagon driving again, but i think it's also my general apathy towards the car. i swear it fights us on everything

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
hello all. it's been a while.

the wagon didn't run until a few months ago. maybe 2.

tuned by a wizard over the internet. he did a good job.

2 weeks ago, me and TC ran the car at a smooth 100mph all the way down to Florida, where I go to college. where it promptly broke.

3 hours from our destination we found ourselves stranded with a car that would crank but not start. all that was running through my mind was fuel pump.
we waited for about half a day at a gas station for a tow truck to come, he never showed. we got bored so we started taking things apart. \

https://i.imgur.com/Xo2JSgF.mp4

what do you know. distributor rotor had no screw holding it on, so it self-clearanced. got that fixed with a part from autozone and we were back on the road.

flash forward to a week and a half later. i go to check the oil on the car.

(sorry for big image size, am noob)
oh no. oh no. oh no.
that's gas. a lot of it. in the oil.

so that's where the wagon is at now. any suggestions would be appreciated.
i've already put Rotella 15w-40 heavy duty diesel oil in it and I haven't driven it once since I found out gas in oil.
it's most likely piston rings, which would make sense because this car didn't run right until 2 months ago.
i've pretty much ruled out injectors, as those are brand new.

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

trouser chili posted:

this. is. foreshadowing.

:gbsmith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

benro posted:

i've pretty much ruled out injectors, as those are brand new.

New just means not used, new does not mean good unfortunately.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

IOwnCalculus posted:

New just means not used, new does not mean good unfortunately.

Yeah and performance does not mean “reliable”. Deatchwerks is supposed to be good stuff and they’re pre-tested, but I’ve always found very little compares to OEM Honda.

Regardless, avoid short trips, watch the oil. Keep it conservative for a tank of gas or two and keep checking. Biggest problem with bad rings is making GBS threads up the oil, which’ll smoke the bearings. Keep the oil clean and it’ll keep going.

Wanna order a Blackstone kit and have your oil tested?

Also, this has happened.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Lost timing, thought it was the belt.

Nope.

Belt’s there, timing’s not. Here’s the culprit.

Busted keyway is suck. Reset the time but it’s gone; No compression. :(

Poor Schwags

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 29, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RIP, that sucks. What's the plan?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

RIP, that sucks. What's the plan?

Throw a new head on? Sucks...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
honda legos should mean a new head or even a new motor should be a weekend or two endeavor, right?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Good news, I got head.

Found another in the garage. See it?

Test fit went poorly. Next time I’ll try opening the hood.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

trouser chili posted:

Good news, I got head.

Found another in the garage. See it?

Test fit went poorly. Next time I’ll try opening the hood.

You can just cut a hole in the hood too, fyi.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You can just cut the hood off entirely, you know

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm seeing all these manual F22 parts and starting to look out the window at my poor '95 Odyssey, its recalcitrant automatic, and its sea of SRS and ABS warning lights.

How is the TLX Type-S? I was definitely interested in one of those for dad-spec duties.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
TLX-S gets some flack for being a bit heavy, a bit slow, and a bit small inside. IDGAF. The m340i is a better car, but it’s a minimum $10k more and looks comparatively boring. The Audi is even boringer looking.

Acura wants to bill the TLX-S as an athletic sports sedan and I won’t totally disagree, but it’s probably better to think of it as something closer to GT car that’s also a sedan. It’s built for two passengers, but will reluctantly hold four or five. Ingress/egress from the back is somehow a bit awkward. If you want a spacious second row from Acura, buy an Integra.

What the Integra won’t give you is that sense of sitting in a low slung power cruiser. It feels upright while the TLX feels laid down, and while it’s fundamentally a FWD car, you’d be hard pressed to guess it from driving. Unless of course you blow up your transfer case, which I did before 30k miles. The TLX has a torque curve shaped like a mesa, and plenty of it, but I wouldn’t call the engine a gem. There’s a certain charisma of yore it lacks, but I’m not about to hate on it. I feel it should have poked at 400hp instead of 355, but I’ve rarely said “ya know, what this here car needs is less power!”. The 10-speed transmission is good, but it’s best to use the dynamic modes and let itself figure out where it needs to be. The paddles will only lead to disappointment and double upshifts.

Speaking of the dynamic modes, I’ve never found another vehicle that changes so dramatically upon the selection of a dynamic mode. Comfort is full on a 70’s Cadillac, Sport+ is frantic enough to feel compatible to my ITR. Regardless of mode, from a dead stop the TLX bangs off three gears and walks a carlength ahead before the ITR hits VTEC.

I love the audio. Surprisingly, the premium sound in my 13 Odyssey hits a bit harder, but the TLX has fantastic clarity and definition. Listening to some of my old music and hearing things I’ve never heard in it before is so fun I’ve been known to go out and just listen to music in the driveway.

The front seats are very adjustable and very comfortable. They have automatic heat and air conditioning, which is the greatest advancement in car comfort since the windshield. The ergonomics are prefect for me, but there are too many buttons. There are buttons that duplicate the operation of other buttons, it’s madness. I can never find the defrost. I like that it’s not a touch screen, but the control system is basically only “good enough”. Let someone borrow your car and they’ll be calling asking how to change the station.

All in all, no regrets on the purchase. I’m a bit sad and surprised I blew the transfer case (and transmission cause it wrecked the splines on the output), and I wasn’t hard on the car. It mostly just cruises highway. All covered under warranty of course, but if it hadn’t the bill was around $12k. That’s about four more wagons in value.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 3, 2023

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP

trouser chili posted:

Regardless of mode, from a dead stop the TLX bangs off three gears and walks a carlength ahead before the ITR hits VTEC.

I absolutely ran the ITR a few months ago in the TLX from dead stop. That was amazing, made me realize how much harder the TLX puts down but the ITR still wins my heart.

The TLX-S is not a car that’s built for racing. It’s built for cruising on the highway and walking on 90’s/2000’s Honda’s that think they’re faster.

Every time I drive that car I enjoy the looks it gets and peoples faces when I tell them it’s stock/not tuned. It’s the best pulling car I’ve felt out of a corner. It can really dig in and power out when you want it to. That being said, 400-450 hp would be better in that big bad chassis. 350 hp is a little slow for that car.

The buttons are horrid. So many buttons. I had the TLX at college for a few months and I was still learning what all the buttons did by the end.

The transmission is good, but I’m not a fan. They put the same 10 speed auto in the TLX as a Honda Accord, which means it can’t stand up to more power. Apparently it struggles to hold 350 hp, as the loving thing blew. Should’ve given us a 6 speed man, not a magic-based auto. Big let down on that car.

I’ll be posting an update on this thread about my wagon sometime soon. Very busy at college. :D

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Schwags lives!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Cleaning up now. Wash and wax…Been ten months this dude’s sat. Never felt I had a dime to give a machinist. So last weekend I slapped head to head and went around with a feeler. Couldn’t get nothing between em’ so I figure they’re flat to each other, send it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benro
Apr 22, 2021

BEEP BEEP I'M A HEEP
My wagon has been pushed into the garage.
:alonso:

The wagon makes the ITR look clean :lol:

Here's how close it is on either side

Pulling engine maybe this weekend. Will update.