Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
LOL! If you won the lottery and scored perfect double Shock Ability damage boost rainbow ISOs, Thor would out-DPS everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

Obviously, you're not a golfer.
am i missing something or is the combat in this... just... not fun? why can everything interrupt you? nothing besides a boss should interrupt captain marvel whilst she is photon beaming someone in the face. it feels absolutely terrible. you spend 80% of the game slamming the l button to dodge. i dont get it at all.

this is supposed to be a fun, casual beat em up, yet you can find yourself stunlocked? how empowering... nothing makes me feel more like noted bad rear end melee combatant spider-man more than getting interrupted out of shooting webs by a random hand ninja.

conversely, the enemies that dont stagger at all when you hit them feel terrible to fight as well. theres no impact and it basically feels like youre whiffing even when youre not.

team ninja should know better than this given their previous games. man i hope they patch this thing up because its honestly just kind of a chore to play right now.

i would seriously be fine if they simply removed all player character hit reactions. you dont loving flinch out of your skills in diablo 3 when you get hit... you know why? because its loving annoying and not fun in the slightest.

im currently in hel (i assume near the end) and i honestly just kind of lost all interest in finishing this.

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 13, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

jeffLebowski posted:

why can everything interrupt you?

There's a dodge button. Also, what would be fun about just wailing on something repeatedly? One of the best moments in the game is the daredevil level with the floor panel traps , where you dodge the wall darts while killing mooks and use the darts to against them.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

There's a dodge button. Also, what would be fun about just wailing on something repeatedly? One of the best moments in the game is the daredevil level with the floor panel traps , where you dodge the darts while killing mooks and use the darts to against them.

which i specifically mentioned in my rant above?

just because it exists doesnt make it fun. i barely touched the dodge button in dozens of hours of mua1 & 2. sorry, the combat is terrible which is why this game vanished in a week.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

very mad that the game for children is too hard

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

cams posted:

i didnt say hard. i said annoying. not fun. try reading.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

jeffLebowski posted:

which i specifically mentioned in my rant above?

just because it exists doesnt make it fun. i barely touched the dodge button in dozens of hours of mua1 & 2. sorry, the combat is terrible which is why this game vanished in a week.

How does this make your second statement true? Game made you think past slamming a button, terrible game.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jeffLebowski posted:

i didnt say hard. i said annoying. not fun. try reading.
ok my bad, i will be helpful instead.

if you do not get hit by the guys, the guys do not knock you back. have you tried not getting hit by the guys? i recommend dodging.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Think I might be done with this game. the whole mechanic of Stagger bars kind of isn't fun. It's lame af to mash things and have enemies just super armor through it only to knock me back and gently caress my rear end up, making it impossible to do damage besides Synergy combos. The old games kind of did it better because you could still at least do damage with normal attacks and poo poo.

The factor of "each character levels independently" didn't bother me til I found myself just mindlessly grinding old levels and Trials to build up more of the roster. I think I preferred how the old games did it i.e. the main characters you use get EXP in full while the rest of your reserves get like 70% of it or something. It's just loving tedious now and I do not have the time to grind characters out anymore. Can't imagine how it will be with DLC characters unless you just start fresh with them all at level 5 or something.

A lot of this didn't bother me too much at first but now that I'd rather play other games coming out/being updated instead of grinding for bullshit in this, the flaws just stick out more.

cams posted:

it's not even hard, it's just annoying to play with the massive roster you have and combat just gets very tedious/limited in terms of options. game isn't awful but I've def cooled on it a whole lot.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

i feel ike you guys arent hearing me... i know how to play the game. im at the penultimate level. i get it. im saying that the game isnt fun, not that i cant play it successfully.

as in, the combat is not entertaining or satisfying whatsoever.

granted, thats a subjective statement, but it is what it is.

i dont really see how the 'feel' of a brawler being bad is the players problem.

i mean, if it works for you, thats cool i suppose. im just suprised that team ninja, whos given us some supremely satisfying melee combat in the past, was only able to come up with this system... a system which is missing grabs and throws like the previous games as well as feeling terrible.

how is that a controversial statement?

DLC Inc posted:

and combat just gets very tedious/limited in terms of options

thank you. exactly.

jeffLebowski fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 13, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
You can deffo deal with stun and elites and stuff without just dodging everywhere and trying to mash attack
https://twitter.com/i/status/1161329519602483200
Use EX moves, they (at least at higher levels when you're doing more damage?) refill pretty quick - I can start a fight with one or two supers and it'll be back or mostly there by the time the fight's over. Storm's hail will lock down big groups of enemies for you to wail on them uninterrupted, and A stagger moves like Psylocke/Venom's Y special will almost immediately stagger elites, and they have AoE. You can and should be doing at most like 1 dodge to the side/behind elites and 1-2 attacks to stagger them, then stun to kill em. Helps a lot too to swap around team members to spread out mana/EX usage, and use the right moves to stagger into stun.

You really need a team you're comfy with, has a good spread of abilities, and has all 4 unlocked. I got in a groove where I like the combat well enough, but it's really different from the other games and Diablo and stuff where in those you start out wrecking mobs then levelling up and getting items and stuff you get that feeling of just DESTROYING them - but here even if you just do easy difficulty it feels awful to hop in and mash buttons. Like to get the good feeling hitstop and animations and chunkiness you have to do all the character swapping and super moves and synergy stuff at the right time, and it's pretty fun then. Which kind of makes sense for it being made by Team "we made gently caress you hard Ninja Gaidens and Nioh" Ninja. Not knocking the other approach, cause I loved the old games and stuff like Dark Alliance where all I wanted to do was mash buttons to wade through more mobs with flashier moves, MUA3 just kinda sucks for that.

e: Same goes for regular mobs too, you absolutely have to do full light combo into a special move (or just the special if they're low enough) or you won't do much damage and it feels stupid

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 13, 2019

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Game is dead. Just check the steam stats. Literally nobody is playing

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Game's probably dead because most folks moved on to Fire Emblem and are going to stay there for a bit. That's where I'm at. Once FE has run its course with me, I'll get back to MUA.

I'm hoping the game gets an overhaul in that time to make it less tedious and sloggy. I too was annoyed with the way that just simple loving mooks outprioritize your heroes, even to the extent that they can knock you out of special moves. Being stunlocked by mooks such that you can't set off specials to get out of the beating, is a very bad design choice. Probably more emphatically so because of the prior point, dodging should be a reliable, immediate cancel for any special move you've just started off; if mooks are going to be a threat to you while you're in the middle of performing a special, then that goddamn dodge button needs to be a more reliable escape. Regular mooks should be straight up proper cannon fodder, as one should expect out of a Tecmo-Koei beat-em-up.
Those lovely lieutenant next-tier-up guys could use some tuning. That tedious defensive buffer shouldn't recover so fast once it's stripped. They need to be a bit more fodder-y too.

A brawler works best when the toughest challenges are saved for the boss fights. This game has blatant repetitive grinding needed to be done; grinding is fun, if the combat outside the context of boss fights is fun. We don't have that here which is why just about nobody wants to play MUA at the moment. They should've taken a page from Diablo 3 on this.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I'll be honest, the Dr. Strange fight put me off the game for a little bit. I've been replaying older missions all along so most of the crew I use is pretty overleveled but I still can't get his health past halfway before everyone is dead. Feels like I'm meant to be micromanaging ISO-8 or doing even more grinding and it just sounds tedious. I'll probably get back into it next time I have a long flight or something.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

I like how the complaints now are that it's not structured like a musuo. And mua3 did fine, it's still a top ten seller weeks after release. Just move on to another game, hell, you can even get a refund if you want.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 14, 2019

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rufio posted:

Game is dead. Just check the steam stats. Literally nobody is playing

I should hope no one is playing it on Steam.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Hobo Clown posted:

I'll be honest, the Dr. Strange fight put me off the game for a little bit. I've been replaying older missions all along so most of the crew I use is pretty overleveled but I still can't get his health past halfway before everyone is dead. Feels like I'm meant to be micromanaging ISO-8 or doing even more grinding and it just sounds tedious. I'll probably get back into it next time I have a long flight or something.

What level is your team, and are you playing on Mighty? Stagger/stun/EX is the key to beating bosses from the start of the game until the end.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

I should hope no one is playing it on Steam.
:thejoke:

Hobo Clown posted:

For me all boss fights are basically boiling down to

1) Pick character with a good A stagger move
2) Dodge an attack
3) Either heavy or light string cancel into A stagger special (not synergy version or it burns all your mana)
4) After stagger, use synergy move to stun
5) Switch chars and loop light string into A damage special until stun wears off
6) Switch back to char with good stagger move, repeat
7) As EX meter is up, use all of them when the boss's stagger gauge is at like 10%

For the most part just ignore adds and stuff and just focus on going ham on the boss

e: On bosses especially, and really in general I mostly just use synergy attacks to trigger stun, otherwise it's easy to burn through mana too fast

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2019

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it's also not a game built for infinite replay value, at least at the moment. you beat the game 3 times (beating it the first two times each unlocks a harder difficulty and rift), do all the trials, and thassit. apparently some people are farming "endgame" iso's to do speedruns of the hardest trial in the game, but that's as far as it goes.

i enjoyed the game enough that i have done 6 runs of the story, but i'm a crazy person. it is possible we get more pure "endgame" down the line, since people have mentioned that team ninja did a decent job giving people more to do with hyrule warriors, but i am not holding out hope. the paid character packs will almost certainly come with additional story chapters and probably a trial tier (since the character's we've seen point to the same structure as existing story chapters, a few unlockable characters and an unlockable "boss" character.) as much as i would love some sort of endless dungeon trial, it is unlikely. people have said team ninja did a good job of supporting hyrule warriors in the "post-game stuff" area, but we'll see.

but yeah if you don't enjoy playing the game i strongly recommend not playing it and possibly playing something else.

cams fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 14, 2019

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The Midniter posted:

What level is your team, and are you playing on Mighty? Stagger/stun/EX is the key to beating bosses from the start of the game until the end.

I'm on Mighty, and everyone's around level 27 or 28. Stagger/stun/EX has been my go-to but I can only do that once since I'm dead before the meters fill back up. I'll fully admit that it's likely I'm just Bad At Game, but it did feel like a huge difficulty spike versus what I've come across so far and it was enough for me to want to put it down.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

teh_Broseph posted:

:thejoke:

For me all boss fights are basically boiling down to

1) Pick character with a good A stagger move
2) Dodge an attack
3) Either heavy or light string cancel into A stagger special (not synergy version or it burns all your mana)
4) After stagger, use synergy move to stun
5) Switch chars and loop light string into A damage special until stun wears off
6) Switch back to char with good stagger move, repeat
7) As EX meter is up, use all of them when the boss's stagger gauge is at like 10%

For the most part just ignore adds and stuff and just focus on going ham on the boss

e: On bosses especially, and really in general I mostly just use synergy attacks to trigger stun, otherwise it's easy to burn through mana too fast

Hot boss strats:

1) Pick Ms. Marvel
2) spin kick forever

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tips for winning this game

1) use the invuln frames on your dodge. you can dodge attacks that fill up the full screen if you time your dodge properly, including strange's spinny beam deal.

2) when playing without other people, the characters you are not currently playing as take much less damage than your character. use this intelligently to switch between characters and keep them alive. also, sometimes it is better to let ai people revive dead characters, especially since enemies tend to focus attack the player character.

3) go back in time and put all your advancement points into the "extreme attack damage heals" nodes found in the vitality and neighboring trees. healing is super hard to come by in this game and having your extreme attacks also say "fully heals this character" is suuuuper handy.

note: even though healing is super hard to come by, scarlet witch and doctor strange's heals loving suck and are not worth using.

obviously if you wanted to you could just grind rush trials to level up your characters and make encounters easier, but it is really not necessary. the game has a very high skillcap and you can out-skill the game if you're underleveled.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Healing can be hard to come by and +1 on your advice for the Extreme > HP nodes. I also found great utility in equipping isos that up the chance of healing orbs dropping, as most bosses have waves of cannon fodder peons specifically for the purpose of dropping orbs and it's a great way to farm some healing.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

According to NPD, mua3 sold on par with mua1, a multiplat on 7 systems, without digital sales and did more including them. It's doing just fine.

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 16, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

bushisms.txt posted:

According to NPD, mua3 sold on par with mua1, a multiplat on 7 systems, without digital sales and did more including them. It's doing just fine.

Nintendo/Marvel should take this as a sign to let Team Ninja create Marvel Warriors

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Nintendo/Marvel should take this as a sign to let Team Ninja create Marvel Warriors

gently caress yes

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

The best thing about it selling is that they won't abandon it, plus it's an ip the devs are passionate about, so expect to see a lot of extras like hyrule warriors. Wouldn't be surprised if we get more playable villains sooner than later.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

jeffLebowski posted:

i feel ike you guys arent hearing me... i know how to play the game. im at the penultimate level. i get it. im saying that the game isnt fun, not that i cant play it successfully.

as in, the combat is not entertaining or satisfying whatsoever.

granted, thats a subjective statement, but it is what it is.

i dont really see how the 'feel' of a brawler being bad is the players problem.

i mean, if it works for you, thats cool i suppose. im just suprised that team ninja, whos given us some supremely satisfying melee combat in the past, was only able to come up with this system... a system which is missing grabs and throws like the previous games as well as feeling terrible.

how is that a controversial statement?

thank you. exactly.

vOv I've said the exact same thing and their counter is always:

1) How dare you complain the game for children is bad
2) The dodge button is there (never mind that the Hulk has to dodge tiny ninjas to survive)
3) It sold a billion copies and therefore everyone that bought it must love it and therefore you are wrong

cams
Mar 28, 2003

THE HULK SHOULD NOT GET KNOCKED BACK BY ENEMIES IN THIS VIDEO GAME I WAS TRICKED INTO BUYING WHY IS NO ONE LISTENING TO ME I AM BEING PERSECUTED

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

quote:

thats a subjective statement, but it is what it is.
Glad we can agree on something

Reallycoolname posted:

3) It sold a billion copies and therefore everyone that bought it must love it and therefore you are wrong

This is funny because the people who hate the game were the ones talking how it was doing sales wise. Now it's a verified hit, so it doesn't matter :shrug:

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 16, 2019

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

This is funny because the people who hate the game were the ones talking how it was doing sales wise. Now it's a verified hit, so it doesn't matter :shrug:

this whole slapfight is pretty much over, but i cant help myself.

cant speak for the other dude, but i wasnt talking about sales. i was talking about youtube/streams/social media. for a game coming off avengers endgame and featuring a huge marvel roster, this game might as well not exist. it didnt exactly stick around in the social consciousness the way spiderman ps4 did--which is rather telling (as is its mediocre metacritic score).

i also just fail to see whats weird about the opinion 'this game makes you feel like a glass cannon instead of successfully making you feel like a bad rear end superhero.' thats not an odd complaint to have about a superhero game in my opinion.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

This is why you're not really being engaged with. Many people have told you ways to "get around" being hit, I've yet to feel like a glass canon with any character, except falcon who just feels like glass. And you keep clinging to this idea of a game that frankly doesn't sound fun. There's a reason we aren't swimming in Superman video games, having him just wail on poo poo wouldn't be fun with no penalty, so you always have to come up with ham fisted poo poo like green fog.

And you're acting like super heros don't trade punches with mooks, which isn't the case even in the mcu. I mentioned before how you want the game to play like a musuo, just running through folks with no penalty until an occasional boss, but musuo are generally disliked for this style. So i just feel like you're trolling.

jeffLebowski
Mar 6, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

This is why you're not really being engaged with. Many people have told you ways to "get around" being hit, I've yet to feel like a glass canon with any character, except falcon who just feels like glass. And you keep clinging to this idea of a game that frankly doesn't sound fun. There's a reason we aren't swimming in Superman video games, having him just wail on poo poo wouldn't be fun with no penalty, so you always have to come up with ham fisted poo poo like green fog.

And you're acting like super heros don't trade punches with mooks, which isn't the case even in the mcu. I mentioned before how you want the game to play like a musuo, just running through folks with no penalty until an occasional boss, but musuo are generally disliked for this style. So i just feel like you're trolling.

im just taking the L and moving on. but basically i guess i just wanted it to play like mua 1 and 2? and it doesnt. but i guess theres no point on going on about it further. goodbye cruel thread.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of similar titles play more like arcade beat-em-up where you can hop in for 5 minutes and mash buttons to steamroll through, which is a gameplay style that especially jives with having superhero characters. This one isn't like that - if you want to steamroll everything you have to learn the game and :effort: it. Both kinds of games/difficulty levels are fun for different reasons and it's very reasonable to scoop up MUA3 thinking it's gonna play like MUA1-2 and a whole bunch of other ARPGs and bounce off it when it doesn't (well, when it starts off playing like the "endgame" of other ARPGs).

I grew to like it how it is, but they would've had to really tone down how much you have to work with the mechanics on the easy/normal difficulty for it to match up with what I"m sure 75+% of the folks who bought it were expecting (myself included).

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

teh_Broseph posted:

A lot of similar titles play more like arcade beat-em-up where you can hop in for 5 minutes and mash buttons to steamroll through,

I'm still trying to understand why folks after saying you can't do this in mua3? You have to dodge a super armor attack every once and awhile? Oh no! Put iron fist in there and he'll delete a stagger bar. The game asks you to utilize the individual heroes strengths, don't see why that's bad.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm still trying to understand why folks after saying you can't do this in mua3? You have to dodge a super armor attack every once and awhile? Oh no! Put iron fist in there and he'll delete a stagger bar. The game asks you to utilize the individual heroes strengths, don't see why that's bad.

It's not bad, it's different. I just ran through XML1-2 shortly before this came out and not only can you get through the entire games mashing the same attack button and the same special move, it gets easier the farther you get in the game. I don't even remember if XML1-2 had a block or dodge button and if they did I completely ignored it. I guess like maybe 25 times total between both games I had to look down and see some certain light-heavy-light or whatever combo it was prompting me to do to kill certain enemies without taking forever? And maybe a couple bosses had a gimmick thing? They were wwayyyy easier on the standard difficulty level than MUA3 is on Easy. Comparing "dodge a super armor attack every once and a while" and "iron fist delete a stagger bar" to those is pretending the fights against 4+ elites along with regular mobs who will also interrupt your attacks don't exist but they start at what, halfway through the first level after the prologue. You're trying to say dodging 4 elites and a bunch of other mobs that all interrupt you, and who you can't interrupt unless you use specific moves that you may not even have unlocked yet, and if you do unlock you have to have an understanding of the stagger system and awareness of abilities that do A stagger damage is the same thing as loading up MUA1 or Dark Alliance or Gauntlet or etc. and literally W+M1-ing your entire way through, and they just aren't.

You can do it, it just takes more than zero knowledge and effort, which most of the other games in the genre don't, at least at the beginning. If you try and just W+M1 through MUA3 you'll constantly be getting knocked down and dying and doesn't feel good.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

First dlc pack details just dropped
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Ni..._Expansion_Pass

quote:

DLC Pack 1 – Marvel Knights: Curse of the Vampire (September 30th, 2019)

Prepare for Marvel Knights: Curse of the Vampire! This DLC pack, part of the MARVEL ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 3: The Black Order Expansion Pass, will add Blade, Moon Knight, Morbius and The Punisher as playable characters. In Gauntlet Mode, up to four players* take on an intense series of co-op challenges in rapid succession to earn rewards. Players can find out how long they can last in Endurance Mode and see how high they make it on the online ranking board, then discover a mysterious new Infinity Rift

Gives me time to get into astral chain.

Since it's at the end of September, I'm expecting the Colossus\cyclops pack to include some extras too

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 20, 2019

cams
Mar 28, 2003

very pleased to see we're going to get more content beyond just story chapters, and that they are expanding on content that encourages co-op. in the base game the iso system lends to a ton of depth, but really nothing to do with your super specialized characters once you have em.

even if we don't get any additional content with the free character packs, 3 sets of dlc each with endgame content should be good. maybe it'll be successful enough for a second season, but i am less confident in that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Since it's at the end of September, I'm expecting the Colossus\cyclops pack to include some extras too

https://nintendoeverything.com/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-dlc-pack-1-officially-confirmed-for-september-30-includes-new-gauntlet-mode/

According to Nintendo Everything:

"In addition, alternative outfits for all playable characters will be added to the game via a series of free updates, starting on 30th August with new outfits for Spider-Man, Hulk, and Captain Marvel. As previously announced at San Diego Comic Con in July, the free update to the game releasing on 30th August will also add Cyclops and Colossus as brand new playable characters."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1166012765175197696

That planet hulk outfit is loving killer