Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

ThermoPhysical posted:

I think this is a thing Marvel's doing with their games now. Even the mobile ones. They let Netmarble make their own characters (Captain America - Sharon Rogers), Insomniac got to make their own Spidey Suit as well as multiple others, Crystal Dynamics....uhhh...I dunno. I guess the base suits are something they came up with?

Sort of. I saw the behind-closed-doors demo at E3, and if you know the comics, you can tell where their inspirations were. Cap's outfit is clearly based on the armored suit from a particular writer's run on the Avengers comics, Black Widow's is her usual comics suit with a few MCU-style additions, and Thor's wearing the chain mail from J. Michael Straczynski's run on his comics about 15 years ago. I think the only character who's been shown so far who actually has a Crystal Dynamics original is Iron Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

How has Marvel been treating him in the comics lately? I think they're trying to make this mirror the comics as to who's popular and who's not.

He was dead until relatively recently. Now he's the leader of the team in a book that's on the short list of worst runs in the history of the franchise. It's not a great time to be a fan of Cyclops.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I hope Jessica Jones can buff herself by drinking an entire bottle of Jim Beam.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

If anyone is wondering how a villain like Thanos would be playable(while Loki and Magneto are more anti-heroes) all I can say is it makes sense in context.

In fairness, Thanos has had a few solid runs here and there where he was an unapologetic antihero, most notably in the run-up to the old Annihilation miniseries. It's only been relatively recently that Marvel's reset him back into full-fledged genocide mode in the comics.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

...Does Team Ninja do large DLC packs or something?

Their main franchise, the Dead or Alive games, are famous for having dozens of alternate costumes per character, and the last couple of DOAs have really leaned into costumes as DLC. IIRC, a "complete edition" of DOA5 would cost you something like US$1200.

If MUA3 really takes off, there probably aren't that many Marvel characters that won't eventually make it in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Howard the Duck.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Woozy posted:

Mighty is Nintendo Hard, it's fine. Friendly is for when you're co-oping with 3 other people and everyone's been drinking.

I kinda feel like this is one of those games where you're supposed to start on the easiest difficulty, then work your way up as you go and as you learn the ins and outs of individual characters and the synergy system.

Definitely liking Elsa Bloodstone more than I expected to.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

So what would you do about team composition in MUA3? One brick (Thor, Hulk, Cage, etc.), one long-range caster, one melee damage dealer, and one wildcard spot?

I'm a little irritated that you never really seem to get a high-level brick as you go the way you do with every other big group role. My Luke Cage has ended up higher-level than everyone else because I stuck with him through Shadowland and Dark Dimension, which means he's still lagging behind characters I just picked up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

PureRok posted:

On the second Infinity Board there's a level 25 Rush (I think, the one that has a 3 minute timer on the Raft) map, I think it's the third from the bottom on the left. The damage you do goes up during the fight and it's against nothing but strong enemies (the staggerable ones), so you can get 60-100 high xp kills really fast. It also gives ~6 Small XP cubes or ~1 whatever the next level cube is (cosmic, I think). Take one high (level 30 at least) level character with a decent AOE (I used Spider-Gwen, she was level 48 - from 32 - when I finished.) and it's pretty simple.

Ms. Marvel's spinning kick is, if anything, better for this purpose than Spider-Gwen's bullshit. For some reason, it synergizes neatly with everything, it's cheap as hell, and it juggles an entire room at once. You can also move while you're doing it, so you can pick up stray blue orbs and keep going. It's actually pretty disgusting.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

In fairness, most of the characters I've used have at least one good move, one okay one, and a couple that are situational. I think the only character who's actively held back by their skill arsenal is Iron Man, and even he can dump an entire energy bar into Unibeam and get some work done that way.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Woozy posted:

I thought Captain America was great and one of the few heroes who is well-defined through his moveset. A lot of the characters are just four different AoE attacks but his special blocking ability and the synergies that go with it, plus his team buff ability all feels very "Cap" to me. Plus a lot of his animations are pulled straight from the movies and convey his personality well. I don't know whether he's actually a strong character but his solo rift mission has been my favorite part of the game so far.

They seem to have given Cap this game's equivalent of the old Cyclops role in XML where he primarily served as a force multiplier. Cap's not awful on his own, but 90% of the reason to have him in a group is Super Soldiers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

There are a fair number of telltale signs that this was made in a hurry, like how most of the side- and post-game content is going through the same maps and fighting the same bosses with a few new variables added on. I'd imagine this is a proof of concept more than anything else.

You've also got a couple of abilities here and there that feel like they're just in the wrong game. Scarlet Witch gets the worst of it, with two different small field effects that nobody's going to stand in, but you can also point to Hulk and Luke's grab-and-slam moves, how every Spider-character has an inferior version of Gwen's web shot, and Rocket and Groot not really making any sense to anybody. I'd love to know the order in which these characters were made.

The whole thing with stagger damage would be an interesting mechanic if it didn't mean in practice that there's a guy in every wave who's going to wade through all your bullshit and send your entire back line flying.

Still, this is a game that once you figure out its particular rhythm and ways in which to brute-force its mechanics (hey, gently caress your stagger, I'm going to Mjolnir's Might through all of it), it gets surprisingly addictive.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RatHat posted:

For those of you who read the comics, why is Black Widow in the Web Warriors group? Was she a Spiderwoman at some point or something?

It's really just down to the name. Widow hasn't ever done more than the occasional team-up with Spider-Man, and I assume they wanted a fourth for a Spider-team.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Pancakes posted:

Ms. Marvel is great for AoE clearing but I can see how she’d be bad at one-on-one boss fights.

I can't. A high-level Ms. Marvel landing Embiggen slams tears through single targets.

I can see why whoever made the list would be down on Scarlet Witch, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

To be fair, they did a halfway decent job of balancing MUA3. There are a couple of characters that seem niche or superfluous (there isn't much Elektra can do that Psylocke can't do as well or better; Dr. Strange can do some work, but is surprisingly worthless once he's out of energy; half of the Scarlet Witch's abilities are awful), but none that are actively bad.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

With the ability to upgrade your abilities a fifth time,

...wow, what did I miss?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Rufio posted:

Game is dead. Just check the steam stats. Literally nobody is playing

I should hope no one is playing it on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

TheDK posted:

Whoa I don't know who/what Visage is but that looks cool

It's from a really old issue of his solo book. The same look ended up as his DLC alt in UMVC3.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/marveldatabase/images/3/3c/Doctor_Strange_Vol_1_177.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080727021527