Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is Team Ninja as a dev? Are they good or better than Ravensoft and Vicarious Visions at least?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

They are currently working on nioh2 and nioh 1 is considered one of the better souls variations and arguably better in the combat.

So probably won't be too bad then. I've not played those games, are they pretty long? Any chance of the series being dumbed down even more than XML1 to 2 to M:UA 1 to M:UA 2?

Last time with M:UA, Vicarious Visions tried to scale people to their comic selves so I wonder if they'll try that here too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

They'll probably do online too...maybe. Local co-op is 100% confirmed since they did shitloads of that at E3. Luckily, if you're not doing co-op, you won't have those rings around the characters while you're playing. That really distracted me during the E3 vids.

I wonder if you'll be able to drop the other 3 in the team and solo the whole game literally by yourself, no NPCs to help or hinder you. That made playing as Dark Phoenix in the PSP version of X-Men Legends 2 REALLY loving fun. I might pull that out and play it for a while before M:UA 3 drops.

Does anyone know if you can pre-order games on Prime Day and still get to use special Prime Day Amazon money? I got $10 from Whole Foods coming and would love to get some cash off of this game.

Though, Prime Day is 16-17 this year and it may be too late to preorder it when you're so close to launch.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I want to solo this with Thor. Just Thor. No NPCs.

Though, my biggest gripe is making Rocket and Groot one character. It's like making Wolverine and Collosus one character just because of the fastball special.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

They better not cheap out like they did last time and only give each character one phoned-in costume.

That was Vicarious Visions with Activision. Vicarious isn't touching this one and it's a reboot to the series anyway. They probably should've called it M:UA: The Black Order and dropped the 3 since it's not in the same continuity but eh. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, which was good because it defaulted you to that dumb Ultimate Thor outfit. And yea, don't just give us one alt costume which is some half rear end thing cooked up by the design team.

I think this is a thing Marvel's doing with their games now. Even the mobile ones. They let Netmarble make their own characters (Captain America - Sharon Rogers), Insomniac got to make their own Spidey Suit as well as multiple others, Crystal Dynamics....uhhh...I dunno. I guess the base suits are something they came up with?

Then you have the base suits in this one. Wolverine's and Spider-Man's come to mind.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Game's still under review embargo, but Famitsu gave M:UA 3 some pretty high scores.

https://www.nintendoenthusiast.com/2019/07/10/marvel-ultimate-alliance-3-earns-33-40-review-score-from-famitsu/

33/40, or 8/8/9. I don't know exactly how they do things but I'm assuming this is good?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

I am quite confident the game will be good, as the formula is hard to mess up. The worst game in the ultimate alliance/xmen legends series is ultimate alliance 2, and its still a fun romp.

Famitsu is an outlet infamous for taking bribes for review scores so its not exactly an outlet I would look to for a review, for good or for ill.

M:UA 2 was fun as hell...maybe I should pop it in the PS3 and play it a little bit...

The story just...wasn't...that great to be honest, but I know the devs tried to make the characters fun, at least. I was around on HeroHQ back when that was a thing and the devs were super active. Glad to see Psylocke finally got in!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if Prime Day bonuses can be used on preorders? Got $10 from Whole Foods' Prime Day promotion and I'd love to use it on this to knock the price down a bit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Cyclops and Colossus have battle ai, unlike Jessica Jones, they are base game unlocks like beast.

I want this to be true.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

I refuse to believe they cut Scott or made him dlc.

How has Marvel been treating him in the comics lately? I think they're trying to make this mirror the comics as to who's popular and who's not.

I mean...Elsa? She showed up in Monsters Unleashed. Then there's Crystal...the lone Inhuman.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tried to play some of X-Men Legends 2 on PSP the other day.

I really, really need M:UA 3 now. Dark Phoenix is completely OP and is 100% immortal.

Also there's the glitch that made Iron Man immortal too in X-Men Legends 2. That was fun. They couldn't fix it either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fritzler posted:

I assume to make the packs slightly cheaper to make the X-men pack will have Cyclops and Colossus and the Knights pack will have Jessica Jones if they're not in the base game.

Just like Team Ninja's Fire Emblem Warriors had DLC of NPCs from the base game.

How was the DLC for that anyway? Pretty decent for the price? The only recent DLC I've gotten is Spider-Man PS4 and the costumes were good but the story was really, really hard.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SoR Blaze posted:

I liked Marvel Heroes a lot later in its lifespan, MUA was also a staple of my late teens. We can love both

Hell, somewhere on my computer, I have the original M:UA theme...

EDIT: Found it! But someone already put it up on YouTube sooo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtGhDN9RIY8

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 14, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh no.

Time to dip out of the subreddit, then.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I saw the leaked game before it was removed and I gotta say, the game looks pretty fun but I'm worried that there won't be much to the game in terms of length. What the guy showed while playing was literally the exact same levels Nintendo showed during the Treehouse streaming. The only spoiler was the costume and a few cutscenes (that I skipped over anyway).

There didn't seem to be any framerate issues as far as I could tell. I guess it was 30FPS? I'm low vision so unless it's like 20FPS, I'm probably not going to notice it anyway.

The real issue for me was the length. The guy'd been playing for a while (even before the video started) and he was already 40/114 cutscenes. I'm not sure how Team Ninja did with their other games, but I'm worried this is going to be pretty short. Spider-Man PS4 was about 16 hours, so 15 would be nice but what if it's 12 or so and they just pad with a lot of Infinity Trials?

Speaking of those Trials, the guy showed one off with Spider-Man to get the suit. It looked kind of short and not very involved. But he said in the comments that the others were much harder and the suit is actually the very first one you get in the game so they probably didn't want to make it too hard.

I probably should stay off the subreddit since they're doing nothing but nitpicking and complaining and it's making me worry too, hah. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

12 - 15 hours shouldn't be too bad. Edited this post because I'm gonna have fun with this no matter what and I'd rather not spread negativity.

But if Beast gets in AND gets his cat form for a costume then this will be the best Marvel game of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0ttLnDzOU

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 16, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I liked Songbird. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like previews will be up tomorrow and reviews will be up Thursday.

Also, there should be a day 1 patch on Friday, but you'll get the patch today if you preordered the digital version.

Gavok posted:

Thunderbolts was a drat good comic (recent relaunch excluded), so it was nice to see her get more spotlight for once.

I loved her powers too. It wasn't Psylocke but it was still good. One of the Vicarious Vision developers REALLY wanted Psylocke in and even made a mock-up M:UA 2 Gold Edition cover for if they ever made one with Psylocke front and center. I wish I saved that because it was really cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

A reviewer is posting tid bits on ERA

So they expect you to keep playing

Where's that posted at?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Fritzler posted:

What are you talking about? Psylocke was DLC for MUA2 and totally in the game (just not base). It was an x-men heavy dlc including Cable and Magneto.

Yeah they got her in for DLC but she wanted to have her on the cover for the supposed Gold Edition if the game went that far.

The game was years ago. :v: I'm misremembering some things but yeah. Honestly, the buying of Marvel by Disney really complicated things. The only reason the DLC came back was due to fans making a huge fuss on HeroHQ and emailing Activision. Disney, Marvel, and Activision were officially done with it and the fan backlash pushed them to allow it for 6 more months.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 16, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Supposedly they wanted to put a couple Nintendo guys in UA2, but their mock up they showed Nintendo used the PlayStation UI, and that didn’t go over well.

UA 1, actually! It's actually up in YouTube.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I thought Samus was the one that was initially being floated as a character

It was both. Samus and Link were going to be added in but Nintendo didn't like that it was being shown to them on the PS2 and not the Wii.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When Cyclops went nuts there was a really good first issue to the new Uncanny that was someone informing on him to SHIELD in the narration boxes, and at the end you find out its Magneto, and it's such a dope reveal, the idea that actual genocidal terrorist magneto is like this guy is fuckin NUTS

Then the next issue was like thanks for lying to them for me magneto you're welcome Cyclops and that sucked

Which issue was that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It's like all of the X-Men Legends / M:UA games where you can pick all four characters and switch to whoever you want as you play on the fly.

However, it's unlike the other games where you MUST have four in a team. You can't have just one or two or three.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Isn't this more of a 2nd party game? I guess?

Is that even a thing?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

No it's a first party game. Disney asked nintendo to make the game, then Nintendo contracted team ninja to make it for them. If it's a "2nd" party game so are Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, the last of us and Spider-Man.

Except the only Nintendo games called first party are usually the ones made by Nintendo themselves. Who made BotW, Smash, and the various Mario main title games?

I don't know anyone who calls Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, TLoU or Spider-Man first party games. Maybe Pokemon though, but not the others.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

By the time i get off work, this will have unlocked. Please add sw-3499-6684-7486 for some late night West coast fun.

They're independent actually, they made Sunset overdrive.

Adding ya even though I won't have the game until whenever USPS comes by tomorrow. Speaking of that, anyone know how Switch games fare in the heat cause it's like a billion degrees here in the Midwest and I may not get to the mail quick.

SW-2678-6527-1004 is me. I may not play online much but we'll see how poo poo I am at some of these bosses. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Outside of this thread, I don't know anyone who cares about this game. :(

My roommate is interested for sure.

Don't go on Reddit. There's spoilers and poo poo everywhere.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nintendo posted all of that on the official Twitter (with pictures), not sure if it's spoiler.

However they also posted that they only showed "a few" of the Marvel Knights characters.

...Does Team Ninja do large DLC packs or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There’s a preorder bonus for a chef Deadpool skin so it’s not off the table, and previous MUA games used costumes to put in extra characters. Beta Ray Bill was an alternate costume for Thor.

I'm not sure if the Deadpool costume is preorder only, I think it's just like the Smash Bros. one where you buy it, you get the costume.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Woozy posted:

First hour or so down... game kinda sucks. I was hoping for something closer to X-Men Legends, I guess. And not as badly dumbed down as MUA2. Also they picked the worst possible way to do a Marvel videogame which is to try, and inevitably fail, at recreating the characters as they appeared in the movies.

I don't have the game yet, but I tried playing XML 2 on PSP yesterday and it just...doesn't age well at all. M:UA ages pretty decently but there's so many issues I had with 2 like way too much useless gear (which apparently is back in M:UA 3 with super number-based stats that don't mean anything) or characters you'll never use or just super cluttered rooms and stuff.

I don't know. I loved M:UA 1 and 2 wasn't THAT bad..the story wasn't great to me, but eh.

Also, trying to recreate the movie characters but not so much is basically Marvel's whole deal with everything except the comics (sort of) and Crystal Dynamics' game.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Woozy posted:

I just had a look at the upgrade system and at a glance it's the laziest, most pointless poo poo imaginable. There's not one single thing you can do across like three different "skill" trees that will change anything to do with how the character plays or interacts with the world--it's just raw attribute boosts in every case. I hope I'm missing something because even just cutting out progression entirely would be better than this idle clicker approach to RPG mechanics.

According to (I believe) IGN's review, no. That's really all there is to it.

Does it really not make the character stronger or have better defense or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

The discord is moving and shaking though. I think a lot of us are just enjoying ourselves there. We got a lot of goons who bought it and are waiting on their copies too!

Give it a few days and let’s see what happens. :)

Which server is being used?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Day one patch is out.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/07/marvel_ultimate_alliance_3_the_black_order_receives_a_day_one_patch

Version 1.0.1 adds online multiplyer support, a DLC menu, and bonus costumes that you get if you get the DLC pass. Also fixes an issue with getting to enhancement points and other various bugs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scarlet Witch is becoming my absolute favorite.

Also I'll hop on the Discord later and see what's up! Just exploring the game for a bit.

The camera isn't the best but that's just in Heroic Mode so Classic Mode is fine at least.

I wish Rocket and Groot were separate, but eh, you can technically have five characters with them on a team so that's fine.

Out of the Guardians though, Star Lord is fun to play. Spider-Man and the rest of the Spiders are pretty fun too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Are there any other pre-order bonus costumes besides X-Chef Deadpool?

GameStop had a poster and Nintendo gave.... something. I forgot.

The Deadpool thing isn't really pre-order bonus though. It's just what happens when you pay for the pack, like Smash Bros' pack.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

whittling down the characters I don't give a gently caress about leveling or using so far: Falcon, Captain Marvel, Rocket+Groot, Black Widow, Luke Cage

Rocket+Groot look cool but eh... Captain Marvel is on my team right now but Spidey and Scarlet Witch do all the work. CM and R+G don't..do much. Might swap them out for Miss Marvel and maybe Venom.

Wanda however isn't going anywhere.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scarlet Witch is probably the best once she gets Hex Bolt.

She's pretty much a glass cannon (almost all of them are, really) but flying around to avoid bombs and lasers and...god I love this game. I just wish you could attack mid-air without swooping down all the time.

EDIT: at least they're all glass cannons at early stages

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This game absolutely rules. Scarlet Witch may never leave my team.

Unless Jean makes it in and they give her Phoenix powers then all bets are off.

Or Rachel with Phoenix powers.

OR...what if they add Hope? That would be really cool.