Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Is this move in the game yet, or is it gonna be DLC later?

https://i.imgur.com/6w0sF26.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Oh wow, wow! Didn't know developers of known top 10 games ever Ninja Gaiden Black were making this (pls ignore their other titles). Feeling even better bout my preorder, let's goooo

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna go MSP, but gotta color coordinate those VFX

Starring Lord. Strom. Psyfu. Vernon. Yeayhhh. Real answer tho is Psyfu and whatever 3 chars other goons are playing :c00lbutt:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Retrowave Joe posted:

Welp, my phone isn’t letting me make this, so my ultimate team is Cap, Spider-Gwen, Ghost Rider, and Venom.

Props to them that we can also make the New Fantastic Four!

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
:siren:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The alt-itis is real

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
How bout XP differences, anyone know bout that? I'm most of the way through Mighty, thinking about doing a run on easy for the true cosmic experience, see if I missed any stuff, and get some levels. Less inclined if the XP sucks tho.

:gaz: Game is a little clunky, but fun :gaz:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
COME ON AI, HELP ME GET THE BOX

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154337430419333120

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, let's not kid ourselves it's a Bad Game™. Like, forewarning to anyone just checkin out the thread imo it's definitely in that Switch segment of toeing the line between what you think of as a phone game and a "real" console game. I've played it a bunch and will keep playing it a bunch and havin' a good time tho cause it's a fun Marvel beat-em-up that's Good Enough™.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I just replayed XML1, 2 and MUA1 to the credit roll a couple months ago and I'd waayy rather play this one. They weren't as good as 14 or whatever year old me remembered them as.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Host picks the party, then however many players join pick their own characters and take a lot each. So if one person joins, host has their 3 selected chars to swap around and new person just has their one to play. And I'm pretty sure no drop-in after the game is started, but characters can be changed at Shield points still (host for theirs, players for any of theirs).

It's not a great implementation imo and bums me out, cause online MP sounds like the best way to play a game like this, but then there's a big grind to level characters up and as far as I've seen if you join a game you're only getting XP for that one character. Then with the host controlling all NPCs thing it's best to have 4 actual players, which means using the kind of clunky room system and having to wait for a room to fill up. Booo

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa big thing, learned synergy attacks by doing zR cost double the mana o_O. And most of the time are not twice as effective. The combat flow is going a LOT better for me instead of using zR for almost everything to just use single special moves and save the synergy for special cases like turning a stagger into a stun. Plus it seems doing synergies by either pressing A or by doing a special move then having an AI just decide to trigger one does not incur the double mana cost.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm mostly OK with the stagger system now. I don't like how little damage most elites take when they aren't staggered/stun. But as a whole, it gives something else to think about in combat and who to have on the team. Gotta use those stagger-killer moves, then once an elite is staggered do a synergy move to stun them. Psylocke can stagger an elite with 1 use of her Y special, maybe another couple hits needed, and her synergy X will stun and you can do mad damage. If they took stagger out and just gave elites more health and basic attacks stunlocked them like regular mobs, fighting them would just be mashing the same basic attack string plus whatever your highest DPS special is. The green ISOs that give you superarmor are pretty cool to help deal with getting knocked out of your own combos and stuff all the time.

e: Dealing with elite stagger meters started flowing much better for me when I started using the non-Synergy versions of anti-stagger moves most of the time, before when I was mostly always using synergy attacks I was always running out of mana so never had enough to just spam the anti-stagger moves.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 29, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
RIP stagger and HP bars
https://twitter.com/i/status/1155896130531495936

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Storm is p good
https://twitter.com/i/status/1157022056484970496

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
You can deffo deal with stun and elites and stuff without just dodging everywhere and trying to mash attack
https://twitter.com/i/status/1161329519602483200
Use EX moves, they (at least at higher levels when you're doing more damage?) refill pretty quick - I can start a fight with one or two supers and it'll be back or mostly there by the time the fight's over. Storm's hail will lock down big groups of enemies for you to wail on them uninterrupted, and A stagger moves like Psylocke/Venom's Y special will almost immediately stagger elites, and they have AoE. You can and should be doing at most like 1 dodge to the side/behind elites and 1-2 attacks to stagger them, then stun to kill em. Helps a lot too to swap around team members to spread out mana/EX usage, and use the right moves to stagger into stun.

You really need a team you're comfy with, has a good spread of abilities, and has all 4 unlocked. I got in a groove where I like the combat well enough, but it's really different from the other games and Diablo and stuff where in those you start out wrecking mobs then levelling up and getting items and stuff you get that feeling of just DESTROYING them - but here even if you just do easy difficulty it feels awful to hop in and mash buttons. Like to get the good feeling hitstop and animations and chunkiness you have to do all the character swapping and super moves and synergy stuff at the right time, and it's pretty fun then. Which kind of makes sense for it being made by Team "we made gently caress you hard Ninja Gaidens and Nioh" Ninja. Not knocking the other approach, cause I loved the old games and stuff like Dark Alliance where all I wanted to do was mash buttons to wade through more mobs with flashier moves, MUA3 just kinda sucks for that.

e: Same goes for regular mobs too, you absolutely have to do full light combo into a special move (or just the special if they're low enough) or you won't do much damage and it feels stupid

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 13, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Wanderer posted:

I should hope no one is playing it on Steam.
:thejoke:

Hobo Clown posted:

I'll be honest, the Dr. Strange fight put me off the game for a little bit. I've been replaying older missions all along so most of the crew I use is pretty overleveled but I still can't get his health past halfway before everyone is dead. Feels like I'm meant to be micromanaging ISO-8 or doing even more grinding and it just sounds tedious. I'll probably get back into it next time I have a long flight or something.

For me all boss fights are basically boiling down to

1) Pick character with a good A stagger move
2) Dodge an attack
3) Either heavy or light string cancel into A stagger special (not synergy version or it burns all your mana)
4) After stagger, use synergy move to stun
5) Switch chars and loop light string into A damage special until stun wears off
6) Switch back to char with good stagger move, repeat
7) As EX meter is up, use all of them when the boss's stagger gauge is at like 10%

For the most part just ignore adds and stuff and just focus on going ham on the boss

e: On bosses especially, and really in general I mostly just use synergy attacks to trigger stun, otherwise it's easy to burn through mana too fast

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 14, 2019

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
A lot of similar titles play more like arcade beat-em-up where you can hop in for 5 minutes and mash buttons to steamroll through, which is a gameplay style that especially jives with having superhero characters. This one isn't like that - if you want to steamroll everything you have to learn the game and :effort: it. Both kinds of games/difficulty levels are fun for different reasons and it's very reasonable to scoop up MUA3 thinking it's gonna play like MUA1-2 and a whole bunch of other ARPGs and bounce off it when it doesn't (well, when it starts off playing like the "endgame" of other ARPGs).

I grew to like it how it is, but they would've had to really tone down how much you have to work with the mechanics on the easy/normal difficulty for it to match up with what I"m sure 75+% of the folks who bought it were expecting (myself included).

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm still trying to understand why folks after saying you can't do this in mua3? You have to dodge a super armor attack every once and awhile? Oh no! Put iron fist in there and he'll delete a stagger bar. The game asks you to utilize the individual heroes strengths, don't see why that's bad.

It's not bad, it's different. I just ran through XML1-2 shortly before this came out and not only can you get through the entire games mashing the same attack button and the same special move, it gets easier the farther you get in the game. I don't even remember if XML1-2 had a block or dodge button and if they did I completely ignored it. I guess like maybe 25 times total between both games I had to look down and see some certain light-heavy-light or whatever combo it was prompting me to do to kill certain enemies without taking forever? And maybe a couple bosses had a gimmick thing? They were wwayyyy easier on the standard difficulty level than MUA3 is on Easy. Comparing "dodge a super armor attack every once and a while" and "iron fist delete a stagger bar" to those is pretending the fights against 4+ elites along with regular mobs who will also interrupt your attacks don't exist but they start at what, halfway through the first level after the prologue. You're trying to say dodging 4 elites and a bunch of other mobs that all interrupt you, and who you can't interrupt unless you use specific moves that you may not even have unlocked yet, and if you do unlock you have to have an understanding of the stagger system and awareness of abilities that do A stagger damage is the same thing as loading up MUA1 or Dark Alliance or Gauntlet or etc. and literally W+M1-ing your entire way through, and they just aren't.

You can do it, it just takes more than zero knowledge and effort, which most of the other games in the genre don't, at least at the beginning. If you try and just W+M1 through MUA3 you'll constantly be getting knocked down and dying and doesn't feel good.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Is he any good at punching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
The game points you toward synergy combos but imo it's kind of a trap - as things got harder I got way more mileage from using the individual skills that list 'does bonus damage to shields' or whatever it's all called to break that bar then dump on the synergy combos for damage. Lot more mana efficient that way, especially if you do some character swapping to spread out the meter usage.