Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

love how the devs smushed together classic MUA gameplay with the endless tinkering and customization / tons of extra missions from the recent Warriors games. the best way for the series to go after the nothingburger of MUA2. Here's hoping the fps hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is Team Ninja as a dev? Are they good or better than Ravensoft and Vicarious Visions at least?

Team Ninja had like two serious missteps in Other M and Yaiba Z, the first which wasn't really entirely on them. Besides being a DOA factory they made the best Warriors game in the franchise and the best response to From Software's games yet, they're really solid and judging from the content they made for Hyrule Warriors, they have a fantastic track record of giving you like a hundred hours worth of poo poo to do.

ThermoPhysical posted:

So probably won't be too bad then. I've not played those games, are they pretty long? Any chance of the series being dumbed down even more than XML1 to 2 to M:UA 1 to M:UA 2?

Last time with M:UA, Vicarious Visions tried to scale people to their comic selves so I wonder if they'll try that here too.

the ISO-8 customization systems for characters and teams plus the challenge rifts/expansions in the pipe alone make it seem like MUA3 is a leap forward rather than backwards. It looks like it's the kind of game they want to support for a while and put things in place to keep you busy. Not surprising coming from the people who plunked down like infinite content for Hyrule Warriors.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 8, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Two of my favorites too Eddain.

There must be some internal poll that says Gambit and Iceman aren’t popular yet everywhere I turn, both of them have incredibly strong fan bases.

I really don’t get it. Iceman especially.

Iceman's been in all 4 Xmen Legends/MUA games. Gambit was in XLegends 2/MUA2. I'd say both are probably going to be in the expansion pack. Gotta save some characters for DLC.

Marvel Knights will probably be Moon Knight, Shang Chi, Cloak+Dagger, and Punisher

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rufio posted:

Can I be a hero who's power is to just get really tall?

probably Ms Marvel or Mr Fantastic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

I want to solo this with Thor. Just Thor. No NPCs.

Though, my biggest gripe is making Rocket and Groot one character. It's like making Wolverine and Collosus one character just because of the fastball special.

it works since separately Groot isn't interesting enough on his own and his shapeshifting aspect got co-opted by Ms Marvel. I'm sad Colossus isn't playable though and neither is Thing (yet) so I guess Hulk/Wolverine will be the default fastball duo, assuming this feature is even in the game?

twistedmentat posted:

I want costumes too, lots of unlockable costumes.

I've seen a lot of videos saying unlockable costumes are in but I've never actually seen any of them, only the reward screens for Rifts telling you about them. MUA had at least 4 per character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm glad Wolverine actually is in a suit because for most of the old games they just literally made him "dude in a shirt and jeans" for his default or even just a generic uniform with no mask. He has an awesome costume as long as you put mesh detail into it like MUA2 and this game does.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Famitsu scores don't mean much, they gave Umbrella Corps a 36/40 and MGSurvive 34/40, they're not a good publication for indication on game quality

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

who is Gabby? I would be surprised if X-23 is in the XMen pass but then again idk who else they'd add besides Gambit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if I had to guess--and assuming Cyke and Piotr are just NPCs--the Xmen pack would be Gambit, Rogue, Iceman, and Jean Grey. Crossing fingers the story content will be XORN or some batshit crazy stuff like Cassandra Nova/Onslaught.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gavok posted:

Gabby is Honey Badger, a young clone of X-23 who can't feel pain. She's like if the movie version of X-23 was best friends with Deadpool.

why do they keep giving Wolverine weird clone daughters when he has a perfectly good psycho son in Daken

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

The comments section is full of crazy people wringing their hands at DLC

lol the best comment is by the absolute genius who thinks each pack is 20 bux so it's actually 60 bux he has to pay.

If this is anything near the amount of content we got for Hyrule Warriors and we get really cool modes and stages out of this in addition to characters, 20 bucks will be a steal especially if the base game is as great as it looks.

Feenix posted:

I can buy the season pass after I get the game right? Like, make sure I like it enough to invest further?

no reason why you couldn't, the 20 dollar pass is the default and only way to get the 3 packs.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I remember Scarlet Witch/Dr Strange were OP as gently caress in Xmen Legends 2/MUA due to abilities that had a percentage chance to just turn enemies into a crate lol. I hope one of them has that as their ultimate attack.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chill Penguin posted:

It was just their basic projectile attack, wasn’t it?

yeah I think for one of them at least it was a regular ability that had a 15 to 20 percent chance to turn enemies into boxes, probably Scarlet Witch. XMen Legends 2 had some sickening poo poo you could cheese with, mostly Nightcrawler's teleport frenzy and Gambit's Energy Form which turned your team into kinetic monsters. Quite a few characters were useless while 3 or 4 of them were legit broken. Thankfully in an age of patches that won't be the case anymore.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kris xK posted:

10-20 Hours is good enough to fill my downtime until Fire Emblem releases the week after, consuming my life.

seriously that'd be a good amount of time plus the infinity trials or new game plus on Hard or whatever. Plus I know Fire Emblem is gonna be like 60 fucken hours with all the side activities and tinkering and social poo poo with characters and let's be real it'll take me months to finish it. MUA3 being like a dozen hours sounds fine especially since I'm by no means a person who binges poo poo so it'll likely be more than that for myself. but really, expecting a dungeon crawler to be some 20 hour excursion is loving madness lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

MUA2 only had replay value because like a handful of lovely characters would be gated off i.e. Luke Cage, the worst Iron Man in 3 games (he was extremely weak), loving Penance, Songbird. Remember Songbird? Nobody loving does, she sucks. It was definitely the worst of the Marvel dungeoncrawlers and had a lot of bad stages, glitches, and terrible aesthetics. I think it was mainly because mainstay XLegends/MUA dev Raven Software was taken off and put on COD games, leaving the Activision guys who ported stuff--Vicarious Visions--to actually develop a game from the ground up for once. Needless to say they hosed up. This new game is some kind of miracle given how much damage the 2nd MUA game did to the IP name.

On the bright side I realized Blade could show up in the Marvel Knights pack. Haven't seen him in any NPC capacity so I'd say that's a good sign he's gonna come soon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

You can control the banter by pressing L and a face button

this tells me all I need to know

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Colossus has had the bad luck of being in the long shadows of Hulk, Thing, and Thor his entire life. He's the big man of the X-Men but when it comes to the Marvel universe, the dude gets a backseat all the time. Unless Proteus is in this game, he won't be getting an invite to the party. Personally I always liked Cyclops but he also gets a raw deal constantly so I'm not surprised if he's strictly an NPC here.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I thought Samus was the one that was initially being floated as a character

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

heads up, probably not a big spoiler or anything but Magneto is not a story mode unlock. he's actually a character that will require some work to unlock. some characters have some old-school unlock requirements which is neat and also makes sense because Magneto is badass

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Magento is very cool and good and he was right unlike cyclops who was not right

the exception was in the extremely bad Ultimatum storyline in Ultimate Marvel wherein Magneto is an absolute murdermaniac. Then he finds out mutants are not special and were actually just a genetic experiment from SHIELD that went haywire. Magneto's last act is to tell Cyclops "uh even though I killed him, Charles would have forgiven me under the circumstances" only to be met by Cyclops saying "yeah, NO" and VAPORIZING his loving head off. Probably the greatest stone cold Cyclops moment ever and unfortunately it came at the tail end of one of the worst loving comic arcs ever created.

Though it also ends with Mr Fantastic telling everyone "Dr Doom is too dangerous to live after he caused all this poo poo" and sending Thing to Latveria to just flat out crush Dr. Doom's loving head in a pool of blood with one stone fist so that's two things that own in a series that was dominated by edgelord poo poo and way too much hosed up violence.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

as long as magneto has a move where be becomes an orb of death and you just float around he's my main

also even if he doesn't have that move he's my main

good news, we know at least his ultimate move is his trademark "I am the cynosure of an orbiting ring of metal death"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJiLCgCYWMU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

new preview about combat

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/hyrule-warriors-and-mmos-prepared-me-for-marvel-ultimate-alliance-3s-improved-combat

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reviews seem pretty solid, not gonna change anyone's mind if they weren't in on it but it sounds like everything I wanted

Sesq posted:

Marvel Knights crew got announced

Punisher
Goon Knight
Blade
Morbius

don't give a single poo poo about the first guy there but the other 3 all own. Was expecting the 2nd and 3rd but that last name is a real left turn and I'm all for it. Guess Marvel requested it given the upcoming film.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kris xK posted:

Did previous MUAs have more than 4 abilities per hero? I'm pretty sure we got to pick which abilities we had.

Xmen Legends 2 had a lot more per character though you could only equip like, 3 + your ultimate. MUA I think was the same deal. Having only 4 for MUA3 is a step down from those but usually there were only ever like 6 or so good ones you'd use constantly anyway per character.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

are there any characters that have a buff for one of their abilities?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

played right up until they drop like 10 heroes on you and I think it's fun. Can already tell this is designed for multiple playthroughs and I love that. Wish they had explained synergy better though i.e. that you can simply use ZR instead of "R and then switch and press A" because the former way is infinitely easier lol. I like how you have to think about the types of abilities for each character since not everyone has a synergy with everybody else. That being said I swapped out all of the Guardians for Spidey/Hulk/Thor/Wolverine immediately without regard for synergy lol.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shindragon posted:

I think companies forget that Spiderman tends to hold back... not the first time it happens in MUA games with him either.

lol whenever this gets brought up I always remember the Superior Spiderman story wherein Doc Ock controls Peter Parker, then gets into a fight and legit breaks a guy's jaw off his face with a single punch, and Ock is just thinking "holy gently caress he's been holding back all this time"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

haha I got killed the first time I did the Kingpin boss fight. I did some Infinity trials to get some of my guys leveled at least to 10 or 11 first. A few characters need to get to 10/15 to really start doing cool poo poo, having only 1 ability to start limits a lot of synergies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

whittling down the characters I don't give a gently caress about leveling or using so far: Falcon, Captain Marvel, Rocket+Groot, Black Widow, Luke Cage

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Storm being one of the best characters in every fighting game/dungeon crawler she's in is appropriate given her omega-level powers, probably the only character who is just consistently good in every game she's in except for Arcade's Revenge which put her in a terrible underwater labyrinth.

All 3 spideyfriends feel so drastically different, I kind of like it. Spiderman has his little drone gadget, Spider-Gwen has maybe the most incredible synergy special right now with that fuckoff web wrecking ball, Miles feels like the best brawler. Also cool how the two youngsters get the ground pound air move while Peter has a crowd control websling kick+air web to police things. The movesets aren't huge by any means but I like how some people get unique heavy attack stuff like Hulk's rupture or Thor/Cap getting long range stagger moves.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think I've fought Kingpin like 8 loving times lol. I legit can not beat this rear end in a top hat.

edit: I think I'm either underleveled or being on Mighty difficulty is not a good idea at all. I have a team of mostly level 10s and when I tried the doc ock infinity trial I was doing like 10 damage per hit and got wiped the gently caress out. Somehow I think the difficulty is just loving whack because I assumed "lvl 10" meant I would be on par but now Iheard people are on like lvl 20 to beat that one. So I'm assuming the reason I get loving destroyed by Kingpin with my lvl 10 guys is the Mighty difficulty? Because I really have no idea why I can barely make a dent while getting one-shotted by things.

double edit: nvm just used an experience orb each to get my team all to level 11, and then beat Kingpin without any issues. jesus this game's balancing is either weird or the gains from leveling are way more than I thought.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 21, 2019

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

assuming that cycling through heroes at every SHIELD marker actually did leave me underleveled for poo poo since when Wasp joined the team she was like 5 or 6 levels above my entire roster lol. I guess that's the price paid for playing so many characters and I'll have to use those exp orbs/play Infinity a bunch

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RatHat posted:

Oh wait, you can use the Extreme attacks from the start? I was waiting for the game to introduce the mechanic. Oops

there are def a few things they don't explain too well especially the difference between using R/ZR for solo skills or synergy things. They expect you to just press A randomly in the chance an AI partner is doing a skill for synergies which would be crazy.

I feel like now things are opening up more with the ISO-8 stuff so characters will be less fragile and be able to specialize in things more. My problem is I like to play as a lot of the roster and it'll only get worse when so many are underleveled lol so I'm trying not to let that drive me nuts.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think the best stagger characters for me right now are Venom and Iron Fist. Venom Fang just has loving crazy stagger damage from early upgrades and Iron Fist seems to get Synergy moves from almost every possible team; he always has at least one and his specials come out super fast.

The hardest things to make work for synergy attacks are the buttonmash attacks that characters like Wolverine/Ms Marvel/Daredevil have which root you in one place, though those moves can completely destroy bosses if they're stunned and you keep mashing the synergy-boosted ability on them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I am playing on normal difficulty and overall only wiped once but then I faced Kingpin and have not even come close to beating him. It asked if I wanted to change difficulties so I did and I still cannot beat him. My team is all level 10s, do I need to grind to beat him? What is best way to grind?

I was in the same situation. Level up your team to like 11 or 12 and then magically you'll be able to kick his rear end. Levels work weird in this game. Either use exp orbs or play the infinity trial for beating 100 enemies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hulk's crowd control is so good it's sometimes tough to take him out of a team

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

This ultimo\giant man fight is really bad. I like having excuses to fight, but needing 4 players to pour on Ultimo during the stun phase is dumb as the more characters you lose, the longer it's gonna take.

the AI always used the turrets whenever I did, I had zero problems with that fight since it was mostly just "kill mobs then use the turrets"

so far the only boss that has given me a real loving problem was Kingpin, if only because the leveling system is loving whack and simply leveling up 1 or 2 levels took the fight from "getting one-shotted immediately" to "got through the battle not even getting incapacitated once"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

The ai either waits too long or it sometimes gets stuck on me, meaning phases continue way too long. The way they break off allowing damage on the boss between phases really hurts when it's the only time you can hurt him and hulk is doing the running man.

the way I manage 4 characters boils down to "fight and attack and use specials til my Energy is gone then switch to the next character, rinse repeat" though sometimes there are def a few characters that I feel I have to control for them to be of use like Spider-Man (using the Binding abilities at key groups) or Iron Fist (who has some of the fastest-executing Synergy moves in the game so I want to be in charge of those activating)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

bushisms.txt posted:

When ever I get beat, i just roll back a few chapters with my team and work back to the fight. really fun just punching stuff, I'm almost kind of annoyed with the large boss fights making you do gimmicks.

lol I didn't even know you could do this, I'd have just done that instead of doing the same few Infinity trials. I assumed using chapter select would gently caress with things too much. If I replay like, chapter 2 while I'm on chapter 5, does that mean I can go back to 5 once I'm done and won't have to play ch.3/4 again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

XP and levels in this game are weird since there can be a 1 or 2 level difference in getting destroyed or doing fine in some sections. So far I've been doing ok cycling through a few characters constantly though I've quickly learned that when the game hands you a new character, you should put them in your team immediately since they'll likely be above your current levels and thus will be a big help for incoming fights.

Psylocke is a loving monster for the entire X-men section mainly because her psychic knife ability might be one of the best Stagger damages in the whole game right now, and all her abilities are great. The Magneto battle I just barely won though since I'm an idiot and took too long to realize I needed to destroy Sentinels to get those cores to use against him.