Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Like I know Soul Eater ran in the same compilation magazine that FMA (which had no shortage of horrifying/nightmarish content when Arakawa felt like punching your scary bone), but "Just a simple story about killing people" was probably some of the most uncomfortable I've ever felt reading a mainstream manga. :stonk:

Uh...I don't particularly want to google that so would you mind elaborating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's Chapter 87 of the manga.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Fire Force manga is pretty average at it's best, but if it gets a good adaptation it's gonna be fun to watch at least. I didn't find any of the characters terribly likable though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's a chapter about Medusa brainwashing her child into becoming a mass murderer.

Oxxidation posted:

the thing with noah and the book of eibon goes absolutely nowhere, most of the final arc is taken up by a naruto-esque "war" scene, and the last chapter consist of everyone talking about tits

Yeah. My complaint about the anime ending is that it's kinda unearned, but I guess it sort of makes sense that you defeat the manifestation of fear through courage and so the subversion that superior weapons and technique are ultimately not what it comes down to could work with better execution/foreshadowing. The manga ends in a kinda forgettable fight and then tit jokes.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 9, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i never much cared for the characters who are eccentric to the extent that they should probably be institutionalized. they might eventually get something done, but only after half a chapter of gibbering failure.

it was sort of appropriate in soul eater since the main antagonistic force was literally insanity itself, so the characters learning how to overcome/leverage their neuroses was a built-in part of their arcs

most of it didn't go that way due to the manga sputtering out, but at least we got Black Star owning his egomania to the point where a Great Old One tempting him with godlike power just made him go "lol you can't give me what i already have"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

drilldo squirt posted:

So they burn the fires to death?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_burn

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fangz posted:

It's a chapter about Medusa brainwashing her child into becoming a mass murderer.

Medusa was a really good villain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Medusa was a really good villain.

That episode of the anime where she steals a kid's body is really effective horror.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

New episode's out.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I read the first few chapters of the manga and they did skip a little line of world building. Namely that the Fire Force recruits from three Organizations. Fire Defense Force (Regular Fire Fighters, Captain comes from this), The Military (Maki and the Lieutenant come from this) and the Church of Sol (Sister Iris comes from this).

I do like the differences between the Pyrokinetic Generations. 1st Gen Infernals. 2nd Gen Flame Manipulators, 3rd Gen Flame Generators.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Maki beating the tar out of the guys was my favorite scene in the whole manga

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love Bo-Bobo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'm very sorry

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Second episode was better than the first, and gives me confidence in this adaptation.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the empathy Fire Force has to the infernals. The second half of the episode hit a chord in me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Do we have an idea how long spontaneous human combustion has been happening in this universe?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fangz posted:

Do we have an idea how long spontaneous human combustion has been happening in this universe?

iirc that gets hashed out in another big World Build they do down the line. i might be misremembering

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Maki is Very Powerful

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The infernals are first generation and the protaganist is third generation, so probably around 60 to 90 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So it's a show about fighting boomers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime of the Year all years.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The infernals are first generation and the protaganist is third generation, so probably around 60 to 90 years.

Maki and the lieutenant are second gen, so it seems a bit more compact than that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

:laffo:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is this going to be cancelled because of the KyoAni arson?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Is this going to be cancelled because of the KyoAni arson?

Please stop asking that, Grouchio.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

Please stop asking that, Grouchio.
I need to calm down and take a break from live updates at 4am.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Why did you post the exact same thing in like 3 threads

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Someone needs to rewatch the second episode and rethink their priorities.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's very likely that production and airing goes on a break for a while but also this isn't what we should be super concerned about.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/FireForce_PR/status/1152095745308123136

Ep 3 broadcast postponed and streaming is also on hold, so that likely means no english simul either

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
No surprise there, it would be tasteless to have the fire themed anime air so soon after what happened.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FireForce_PR/status/1154239910821257218

The broadcast will continue as normal this week.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Just as I thought.

Latom.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
3rd ep will have altered flame colours and some narration.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Only change I noticed with episode 3 is in the credits sequence. The pew of burning nuns is now blacked out from the waist up.

Nekomata girl gag is annoying, hopefully they don’t use it literally every time she appears like this episode did.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Daedalus1134 posted:

hopefully they don’t use it literally every time she appears like this episode did.
Maybe it changes eventually but you're going to be hating her for quite a while

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Will Excalibur show up?

FOOL!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
If cat lady wants to copy her captain's jacket wearing style then she really needs to put on a shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Will Excalibur show up?

FOOL!

soul eater had its disappointments, but the revelation that Excalibur was a primordial being that existed to literally drive people insane with anger was not one of them