Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Cat girl's fanservicy intro was disappointing but other than that she was actually kinda awesome. Knowing anime they're gonna keep doing it though.

Also it looks like the only edit was censoring the flaming nuns in the ed, which if I haven't mentioned yet is a pretty dope ed. An entire backstory presented as a stylized montage of events set to some pretty catchy music is a great idea. I hope they give other characters that treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that's definitely not the voice i expected for Labcoat Motherfucker, but i like that they're frontloading some world building that i think happened later in the comic

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I was expecting the show to go full ToLoveRu from how people were talking about the cat girl, it turned out just to be some incongruous and proportionately tedious (relative to frequency) bit of fan service

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love Joker's dumb "BYE" smoke.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Joker's trick...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

Maybe it changes eventually but you're going to be hating her for quite a while

yea isn't this basically her whole gimmick?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well she has stuff other than that.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's her comedy gimmick but she's still an actual character aside from it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i know that tamaki's 3rd gen superpower is fire tails, but i cant see it as anything other than lighting her farts and projecting them at the enemy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Tamaki's Tails actually come out of the sides of her hips which is why she has those holes in her pants.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Tamaki's Tails actually come out of the sides of her hips which is why she has those holes in her pants.

I think so too since when she aims upwards there's clearly two flame shots that converge into one rather than one to begin with as would be expected of a tail.

It's absolutely an excuse for dumb fanservice though.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh totally.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

I think so too since when she aims upwards there's clearly two flame shots that converge into one rather than one to begin with as would be expected of a tail.

a) they clearly do, this isnt a debate

b) look up what a nekomata is

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Patware posted:

that's definitely not the voice i expected for Labcoat Motherfucker, but i like that they're frontloading some world building that i think happened later in the comic

That was super jarring to me since I always imagined him as having a skeevy sounding voice, not being super high pitched

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Patware posted:

a) they clearly do, this isnt a debate

b) look up what a nekomata is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i only disliked the gag between catgirl and arthur because it felt more like it stopped the pace to have her yell at him. the bits with shinra somehow getting under her clothes were so quick and absurd i couldn't help but laugh, having y.aoi screams to back it up also probably helps. she is going wild on this role

didn't expect a sudden veer into the fire force being totally hosed as an organization though, this might end up interesting

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

It's sticking super close to the manga so far and yeah there's a lot of worldbuilding + intrigue which ramps up from this arc onward

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Beasteh posted:

It's sticking super close to the manga so far and yeah there's a lot of worldbuilding + intrigue which ramps up from this arc onward

Wasn't it a lot longer before anyone talked about Amaterasu and how civilization has kind of collapsed down into points of light? I feel like most of that scene between Labcoat and Joker was stuff Okubo hadn't gotten quite down yet at this point in the manga.

(don't worry i know i'm in the anime thread)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love Joker's dumb "BYE" smoke.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is there a manga thread out there

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did they tone down the fanservice relative to the manga or is it about the same level? Does it get worse/better?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Patware posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh is there a manga thread out there

Nope! If you want to make one, feel free to go ahead

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I don't like Devil boys final attack what with the impossibility of the physics involved with it he should just point his feet down at the demon and fall in the arbitrary anime environment and then foot burn them to gently caress
Iatom

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Fangz posted:

Did they tone down the fanservice relative to the manga or is it about the same level? Does it get worse/better?

It's a bit toned down but not much. I personally find fanservice in the manga very :rolleyes: It's not as common as in e.g. Fairy Tail, but when it happens, they go all the way

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think the manga is that good but the adaption makes it so much better

all the same problems are still there but the presentation is top notch

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Why didn't all that fire ignite the explosion dust, or is that not how it works

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's truly Jokers trick....

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I do love Arthur's gag of "Oh, I cut it too perfectly, heh"

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

ViggyNash posted:

Also it looks like the only edit was censoring the flaming nuns in the ed, which if I haven't mentioned yet is a pretty dope ed. An entire backstory presented as a stylized montage of events set to some pretty catchy music is a great idea. I hope they give other characters that treatment.

That ED reminds me of Samurai Champloo for some reason. I can't put my finger on exactly why. It and the OP are both very good, though.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This show looks really good, and it's great how the main character is constantly flip-kicking all over the place

That being said, that Joker dude is really fuckin lame and I hate his voice

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conot posted:

I do love Arthur's gag of "Oh, I cut it too perfectly, heh"

Shinra was 100% correct when he said that Arthur was an idiot who just acts stoic and serious to hide it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If I recall correctly from what I read of the manga Arthur is in fact a massive idiot.

Actual spoilers for a gag:
I can't recall if it's this season but he basically has a fight where he's losing badly and can't figure out why he feels off. Then he realizes he's holding his sword in his off hand, switches, and instantly wins.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 29, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fabricated posted:

a really good punchline

i get that that's a dumb thing to go 'anime thread' at but that's such an incredible punchline you're giving away

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Torquemadras posted:

That being said, that Joker dude is really fuckin lame and I hate his voice

He's very cliche. He's this kind of smug arrogant bastard villain, the one you really want to punch in the face but who's also (supposedly) a lot of fun to watch. I haven't decided yet if he's a good (as in bearable) realisation of this cliche or just a pain in the rear end. But his voice def is weird

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I thought the joker dude was fun. His dialogue isn't super engaging but drat he's got style.

The thing I thought was silly about that fight was Sinra not bothering to dodge the exploding ashes after the first time. He literally just stood there and stared at it each time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Joker is voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda, a prolific VA who does slimy, murderously insane jerks as one of his main specialties. He did Fango in 91 Days, Overhaul in My Hero Academia, and Toi's brother Chikai in Sarazanmai. Funnily enough, he's also doing Cop Craft this season, where he's using his usual villain voice for the protagonist, and he also showed up in Soul Eater as the noble and principled but antagonistic Mifune.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm very much enjoying his performance so far

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's very quickly gone from nobody to probably the most recognisable voice in current anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

He's very quickly gone from nobody to probably the most recognisable voice in current anime.

Mind you, he does have range - another of his notable roles is Nathan 'Fire Emblem' Seymour from Tiger and Bunny.