Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So Middleton just posted that one video about having cancer but has made no public appearances or follow ups, right? But everyone just said sounds good and moved on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Real hurthling! posted:

the article seems to shift hard from "haha we got these sleezeballs red handed" to "this data collection is intrusive we should make it illegal to collect evidence like this"
yeah i don't get it, seems like a lame article

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Thoguh posted:

So Middleton just posted that one video about having cancer but has made no public appearances or follow ups, right? But everyone just said sounds good and moved on?

Look they were lying about it for weeks but now they're not, okay?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Human.Frank posted:

MOTHERFUCKER! The makers of the Octopus netflix doc mentioned Danny Casolaro had notes on Jolly West...

https://youtu.be/0cSjUDSOZYw?feature=shared&t=10675

motherfucker

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

the article seems to shift hard from "haha we got these sleezeballs red handed" to "this data collection is intrusive we should make it illegal to collect evidence like this"

also the piece doesn't name any specific names

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

100% eu privacy laws are only there to protect the belgian monarchy

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Thoguh posted:

there’s a couple of moments where her expression changes and it’s obvious she’s super unhappy to be in front of a camera, so take that for what you will

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
watching more stuff about Diddy getting raided. I didn't know it before but apparently Cuba Gooding Jr is a phenomenal creep. Also his brother Omar was on Nickelodeon shows in the 90s

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Spergin Morlock posted:

watching more stuff about Diddy getting raided. I didn't know it before but apparently Cuba Gooding Jr is a phenomenal creep. Also his brother Omar was on Nickelodeon shows in the 90s

https://youtube.com/shorts/O0xLeIUFBaU?si=NqIZvTsS5rxNUZ9D

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omar likes his kids wild and crazy

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

cyrano gooding jr.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mawarannahr posted:

post the list

the article says you can find the data with a google search, but the name of the company is "near" so good luck with that. probably need to already know the name of the file to be able to find it.

anyway i've got some similar data from the same company, covering people who visited the island between epstein's arrest and his death. it's interesting but the nature of the data means it's not exactly a smoking gun to pin anything on anyone specific.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
If I Diddy't

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what other outspoken Boeing employees have mysteriously died recently?

https://x.com/moetkacik/status/1773447831715492351

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Request: sorry this was either here or Twitter but does someone have a good resource on the Clinton contra stuff? Would love an actual book but online resources are cool too. Thank be read all of Webb’s stuff.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Danger posted:

Request: sorry this was either here or Twitter but does someone have a good resource on the Clinton contra stuff? Would love an actual book but online resources are cool too. Thank be read all of Webb’s stuff.

Haven't read it yet but I think Jeremy Kuzmarov's Warmonger goes into it a bit

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
What the gently caress lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zByX8-lZENY

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
code:
https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/1773846947503411499

quote:

On the .xz backdoor.

It is hard to see how the developer Jia Tan is innocent. The backdoor was added in 5.6.0 by his account. He contacted Fedora to push them to move to 5.6.0. There was a problem with valgrind, they worked with hi to resolve it. He commits the fix in 5.6.1.

If Jia Tan did not commit the backdoor in 5.6.0, and his account was hijacked, it strains credulity that he worked on fixing an issue introduced from a fraudulent commit in his name without noticing. Instead, he worked with Fedora to resolve the issue and committed a fix.

quote:

Let's call it. What's the intended malicious end to this? What is the purpose of this backdoor?

According to the reports it provides remote access. There appears to be a method for a malicious user with an rsa key to authenticate to the backdoored sshd.

quote:

That's the functionality, what is the end game? It seems like more than just a cash-grab/ransom operation. Am I cynical to suspect a state actor?

The end game would be the ability to login to every Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu box on the internet. If it isn’t a state actor it should be…

code:
https://twitter.com/haxrob/status/1773899985949798767

quote:

Andres Freund, the principal software engineer at Microsoft who discovered the xz backdoor really does deserve a big pat on the back. 👏

The outcome could have been much, much worse.

Plans to literally "hack the planet" foiled due to 500ms of latency that Andres instinctually investigated.

The latency was due how the malicious code parsed symbol tables in memory.

https://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2024/03/29/4

code:
https://twitter.com/softminus/status/1773959652373618930

quote:

software engineers will notice half a second of latency in something that should be ~instant and will move heaven and earth to fix it, or at least to understand why; and this seems to have blown an operation that had started to install a backdoor on every Debian/Ubuntu SSH server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqjtNDtbDNI

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
what's liblzma

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Laterite posted:

what's liblzma

*resignedly sighing* liblzma balls

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Laterite posted:

what's liblzma

it's a type of winzip

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Who notices a half second of latency during a ssh login.

Is that a cover story or the guy is just that methodical

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Marenghi posted:

I think it's normal to notice that on something you do a zillion times a week and never had lag before

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I remote across servers all day as part of my job. I'd never notice half a second of a delay to that.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Marenghi posted:

I remote across servers all day as part of my job. I'd never notice half a second of a delay to that.

presumably a lot of people do but only one guy noticed it and started digging

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Megamissen posted:

presumably a lot of people do but only one guy noticed it and started digging

that's pretty suspicious

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

mawarannahr posted:

that's pretty suspicious

eeh i think its just one of those things where you need some weirdo to notice and get fixated on finding out why

i got like that recently at work over duplicated tree markings

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

A guy who works for Microsoft? :raise:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sleeptalker posted:

even microsoft has to run their servers on linux

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Marenghi posted:

have you ever met computer people?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

the answer is autism, op

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

ram dass in hell posted:

*resignedly sighing* liblzma balls

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sleeptalker posted:

mawarannahr posted:

that's pretty suspicious

:downs:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he who smelt it dealt it :fart:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Endman posted:

the answer is autism, op

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/seriations/status/1774141352735044038

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

if you want it to be

Endman posted:

the answer is autism, op

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Would have been more interesting if he asked about Jimmy Savile being there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

oof they got relegated that year. out of the league. shame innit