Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lol @ trying to drag the argument into two other threads too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

shooters shoot

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

what are you talking about lmfao i have actually lived in this you goony scold
most of my childhood friends are addicts or recovering and quite a few got into that poo poo trying to look like weezy or pimp c at house parties holding styrofoam cups of drank and then 6 months later were burgling houses to buy 80mg oxys w/e nonsense you're arguing with in your head is just in your head

do you wish the music was never made? like what is the actual change you’d like to see in the world? I have plenty of friends who struggle with addiction too. to the last of them, their material circumstances and the psychosocial trauma that visits on a person absolutely were the driving factor. nobody hears Tupac at the wrong time in their life and becomes an alcoholic. so what’s the actual disagreement here? should rappers not rap about the joy of getting hosed up? this just feels like identifying the latest version of an eternal thing, the ode to intoxicants, and laying a coating of current cultural prejudices over it rather than just seeing it as the same equation of material circumstances and immoderation driving the perception of how substances do or do not lead to the ongoing problems of the working class. the conditions give rise to the problems. the problems don’t find just anywhere to nest, you need a society that demands intoxication to be able to cope with the demands it places on the subjects. getting pissed because somebody didn’t sing about it the right way just sounds loving dumb as poo poo to me, but here we are.

still want that list of rappers censored for truth that was alluded to earlier.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

selec posted:

do you wish the music was never made? like what is the actual change you’d like to see in the world?

You seem like you're just talking past people and should take a break man

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

post hole digger posted:

screw was messing with them frequencies man, government dont like that

lol but ive started to subscribe to the theory that pimp c got offed after trying to squash the beefs in the south and get people to work together+ going on that Atlanta radio station calling people in the industry secret pedophiles
like they said he ODed but he was clean for months before he died and vocal about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_UwNYvB7o this song in particular and this interview (one of the best interviews ever, extremely pro-watch even if you don't give a gently caress about hip-hop) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiG0kCXSg9o

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

selec posted:

I like my parapolitics with as little William Cooper as possible, there are plenty of actual conspiracies targeting black communities, dressing up “pull your pants up” arguments about how awful these lyrics are for the community is just the same old poo poo gussied up for less emotionally regulated audiences, if that was possible.

I’d still love to hear from OP who the rappers are who have been censored for speaking the truth about the industry though! there’s a lot of grist to mill about the history of rap and how it functions within American culture once you get past Cosby-on-Ayahuasca tier takes.

not personally invested in this discussion but didnt we recently have a tweet from boots riley saying rick rubin has been pushing artists he works with, like kanye, into the right wing grift business? if so it is tangentially related and while i wouldnt be comfortable saying anyone has been censored, it is enough to just not promote the work of artists who refuse someone like rubin's agenda. producers and major record labels wouldnt be censors literally but they are gatekeepers who block out poo poo they dont agree with. And just mass amplification by media groups like clear channel of specific types of music blocks the signal of other music they refuse to give air to.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I wish music that promotes, glamorizes, or normalizes murder was never made, unironically, yes.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I wish music that promotes, glamorizes, or normalizes murder was never made, unironically, yes.

video games too

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my favorite series is monkey island and guybrush hardly kills anyone

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I play simcity and no one gets hurt when I demolish low income houses to make a slightly prettier intersection. They got two minutes notice to move fair and square. What happens to them after that is not my business or responsibility.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Turpitude posted:

not personally invested in this discussion but didnt we recently have a tweet from boots riley saying rick rubin has been pushing artists he works with, like kanye, into the right wing grift business? if so it is tangentially related and while i wouldnt be comfortable saying anyone has been censored, it is enough to just not promote the work of artists who refuse someone like rubin's agenda. producers and major record labels wouldnt be censors literally but they are gatekeepers who block out poo poo they dont agree with. And just mass amplification by media groups like clear channel of specific types of music blocks the signal of other music they refuse to give air to.

yep, that's how it works
music censorship or whatever you'd call it isn't done by actively blocking things they don't want, it's done by selectively signal boosting the other stuff

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Usually the video game characters don't turn to the camera and say, I'm cool for doing this, you're a pussy if you wouldn't do this, and you're a pussy if this bothers you also.

An actual hand-to-God effect of regular meditation is that even video game violence effects you on a visceral level, so there's something there. I play Rocket League and Slay the Spire. The most violent game I play is Sea of Thieves, which is a cartoon game where death means you hang out on a creepy boat for a little while before coming back to life (and this is written into the lore as well).

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 18:59 on Mar 26, 2024

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Same for songs about pedophilia, just wipe the whole "classic rock" catalogue from the face of the earth

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Usually the video game characters don't turn to the camera and say, I'm cool for doing this, you're a pussy if you wouldn't do this, and you're a pussy if this bothers you also.

so youve never played a call of duty

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

B.o.B

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

autism spreads

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Al! posted:

so youve never played a call of duty

They say that? I put it down when the first BlOps came out, and never touched the campaign in that one.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

OutsideAngel posted:

Same for songs about pedophilia, just wipe the whole "classic rock" catalogue from the face of the earth

I don't listen to that either.

It's a shame because I like a lot of the music. For the topic: King Von's music is extremely good, but he's an honest to God serial killer so I had to stop listening. It was him, XXXTentacion, Bobby Shmurda, and "Who I Smoke" that turned me off to violence in rap entirely, and now the artist doesn't need to themselves be a proven murderer, I just can't listen anymore. Fortunately I already didn't like basically any of the classic rock pederast milieu so I didn't have to actively remove them from rotation, but I did make a concerted effort to take known pedophiles Drake and R. Kelly off all of my playlists.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JoacW7woBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Marenghi posted:

It's wild that there's someone trying argue mass media isn't used as a means of control by the ruling bourgeoisie, in the Epstein thread of all places.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Al! posted:

pretty sure i knew more than one dweeb in the pnw who tried "opium" (black tar heroin) because they were big fans of lou reed and cobain

Bringing it back to my original point of certain music being amplified by the ruling classes for their own designs. There's a theory the Seattle heroin scene in music was pushed to turn activists into addicts. Seattle had a very active anti-capitalist scene at the time.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Marenghi posted:

Bringing it back to my original point of certain music being amplified by the ruling classes for their own designs. There's a theory the Seattle heroin scene in music was pushed to turn activists into addicts. Seattle had a very active anti-capitalist scene at the time.

no but see people in the US were already addicted to heroin so suggesting this is the same as saying that politics is downstream of culture

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Perry Mason Jar posted:

An actual hand-to-God effect of regular meditation is that even video game violence effects you on a visceral level, so there's something there. I play Rocket League and Slay the Spire. The most violent game I play is Sea of Thieves, which is a cartoon game where death means you hang out on a creepy boat for a little while before coming back to life (and this is written into the lore as well).

Respectfully, I think you might just be a pussy, man.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Marenghi posted:

speaking of original points do you feel like sharing your list of rappers censored for truth or is that also just a theory

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Son of Sorrow posted:

Respectfully, I think you might just be a pussy, man.

Trying to respond but your avatar makes me fall to the ground and weep.

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

selec posted:

speaking of original points do you feel like sharing your list of rappers censored for truth or is that also just a theory

Selec, you're scaring the hoes.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Son of Sorrow posted:

Selec, you're scaring the hoes.

it’s my birthday and I just want to see a defense of Professor Griff ok

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[katt williams voice] youre making the pussy nervous

selec
Sep 6, 2003

drat DOG WHERE’D YOU FIND THIS ONE

https://x.com/JordanONeil/status/1772696927508869183?s=20

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Best Friends posted:

I play simcity and no one gets hurt when I demolish low income houses to make a slightly prettier intersection. They got two minutes notice to move fair and square. What happens to them after that is not my business or responsibility.

robert moses sim :cool:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

becoming increasingly clear who killed biggy lol

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

only paul_soccer13 can save this thread now..

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Best Friends posted:

Found my SimCity 2000 book and was excited to play but GOG only has the lovely dosbox version, not the Windows 95 one :argh:

Looking it up and it is unbelievable how much effort is required to get the good version playing on a modern system :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Al! posted:

i thought he killed tupac

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

one of these days i wanna make a depuffed version of ready to die by phase cancelling his voice out of the tracks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FirstnameLastname posted:

lol but ive started to subscribe to the theory that pimp c got offed after trying to squash the beefs in the south and get people to work together+ going on that Atlanta radio station calling people in the industry secret pedophiles
like they said he ODed but he was clean for months before he died and vocal about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88_UwNYvB7o this song in particular and this interview (one of the best interviews ever, extremely pro-watch even if you don't give a gently caress about hip-hop) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiG0kCXSg9o

this rules and im all in :hai:

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Jose posted:

i thought he killed tupac

most reasonable explanation ive seen is puffy put out a bounty on death row chains that started the vegas gang poo poo that got pac then suge had big killed as revenge so both really

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQsngQ3P7FM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

selec posted:

Ice Cube, Chuck D, Nas, Boots Riley, just off the top of my head.

Then going back to Kanye his whole bipolar started while he was being trained by Harley Pasternak, a man some describe as a modern Jolly West.

Obviously I'm not saying 'Jews run the world'. But there's a section of Jewish people at the executive level of Hip-hop, and white Americans too, who have benefited off Black people's music. And have been called out at times by Black musicians who were made a pariah for saying it. Kanye says a lot of stupid stuff due to his mental illness, but that doesn't mean there isn't a kernel of truth in some of it.

And with Diddy's whole thing of sex trafficking and setting cameras in his homes, he seems to have an Epstein type operation going on. And Ron Burkle who was named in the Epstein docs partnered with Diddy early in his career through his fashion label.