Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, as much as military bases and the towns that service them are hives of scum and villainy, eight seems a bit much

the small city / big town near me has about the same population as fort hood, and we've had 6 homicides since 2005

now I'm a long way from fort hood, so i poked around at smaller cities in texas around the same population and all the ones I saw had anywhere from 0-3 homicides per year

that's kind of a nuts rate, even for their location

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

a decent comparison, since that q never existed either

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nut posted:

i guess i wouldn't be surprised if signal was totally fine and I'm certainly too ignorant of tech to have a meaningful opinion. I just base my skepticism over Board of Broadcast Governors funding and having a backend hosted on AWS. Perhaps our resident cybernetics poster would even suggest there has to be a stable and meaningful channel to organize protests to maintain a more believable illusion of whatever freedom is supposed to be
Fear that Signal is cryptographically compromised always struck me as overblown compared to the relative lack of concern given to all the other ways that someone could be surveilled or otherwise compromised, either through direct coercion or the kind of minor but critical security oversight that is easy to make.

It's not an unreasonable concern, obviously, but if the feds got ahold of some communication sent through it and then did parallel construction to hide how they got it, them having compromised Signal would be like 4th or 5th on the list of ways that I'd assume they got it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

nut posted:

there’s been some recent updates on the Nova Scotia killer from last year who not only dressed up like RCMP in a car decorated to look like a cop car, but also seemed to likely be an RCMP asset. there’s a lot of public frustration over the continuing bizarre coverup by the RCMP in response to public questioning about why Woortman was free to kill for so long without the RCMP warning the public.

Frank magazine recently released 911 call recordings by some of the witnesses (some to later become victims) proving the RCMP knew about the killers identity and appearance upwards of 12 hours before they reported it to the public. Frank magazine also just released gas station footage that is inconsistent with RCMP oversight committee conclusions. in one, the killer (now changed clothing) tries and fails to fill up at a gas station right beside rcmp in full tactical gear before driving off and in the other, rcmp at another gas station jump out and light him up.

https://www.frankmagazine.ca/leakedsecurityvideo these are the gas station videos. if you want the 911 calls they are on the frank site but they are terribly sad and I don’t want to directly link them

it’s such a horrible and confusing story

If you want a really deep dive, the Nighttime Podcast by Jordan Bonaparte has a now 17 part series with the author of that, Paul Palango. I've fallen behind, I think I'm on part 7 or 8, and it's definitely worth a listen if you have the time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Another Bill posted:

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/the-police-10-portapique/

This whole thing is so hosed up. I'm not up on the latest developments but it seems like the RCMP was covering for this guy because he was an informant / asset even while he was in the midst of mass shooting and burning 22 people over ~15 hours driving around in a police uniform in the replica police car.

That's the absolute minimum, and has been pretty conclusively shown to be true.

I'm betting that not only was he an asset, but he was engaged in some illegal dealings that various cops were a part of outside of their official duties, so the coverup isn't just that the guy was on the payroll, it's all the other poo poo the cops were up to.

None of this makes sense if he was just an informant/asset gone nuts.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

so what happens now? he surely had a dead man's switch

remember when the panama papers dropped and how big that was?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Atrocious Joe posted:

the Panama Papers were a Western op
just like all of this. if he got anything actually legit, it's gonna be hidden in a literal mountain of bullshit fed to him by every intelligence agency on the planet

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

chairface posted:

this is the epstein thread. if you think jonestown went down the way the official narrative says, this might not be the place for you.

legit thought the actual narrative was the doctor loving poo poo up by getting jones and his security to do crazy amounts of speed and whatnot then instigating the massacre

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gonna be a new crypto, or an nft of whistleblower docs

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

multistability posted:

Just gonna repost this because this is the crack ping thread after all. But is it not possible that he could have possibly siphoned off enough compromat to basically solidify his hold over various actors both inside and outside the McAfee Corporation, after he formally stepped away? And if that's the case, would he not then be able to use that intel as leverage in various ways? It's kinda weird how they still kept the McAfee name after all the crazy poo poo started coming out about him (well after Intel briefly changed it when they acquired the company for billions of dollars), is it not?

Idk, again I don't have a loving clue about how any of this poo poo works, really, and am happy to be schooled, because I fear for my sanity at this point

The problem with the McAfee software doing that kind of thing over that kind of a timescale is that it's hard to keep that kind of thing from being noticed, either by someone internally looking over code or by someone externally looking at how said software functions.

It's the kind of thing that, if it were happening, would be periodically discovered by programmers, software testers, and independent security researchers (who absolutely look at popular antivirus software for vulnerability and other shenanigans), along with needing to be known by internal teams so they didn't break the functionality, and by a sufficiently high level of management that no one questions the resources necessary to maintain that functionality.

The only way such a level of secrecy would be possible is if the entire company is in on it, and had government backing to keep outside researchers quiet. Basically, the reverse, saying that a popular antivirus is actually developed and run by an intelligence agency front company, for this sole purpose.

That I could buy as theoretically possible, though even then, we have real world examples of very targeted and well hidden software written by intelligence agencies being discovered, though granted it did take years.

It seems far more likely to me that McAfee, if he has anything at all, obtained it from leakers who became connected to him because of his well-known anti-government views.

I just don't see how McAfee could have exerted the kind of influence necessary to keep an implementation like that secret for nearly more than two decades, nor how he could keep independent researchers quiet.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

smarxist posted:

the only thing that gives me pause on writing McAfee off as a stupid crank that killed himself as a bit is that he was kind of The Guy for a hot minute before the dot com bust in the old old wild west computer days, like before everything was encrypted and locked down 8 ways from sunday and required 2FA to access, etc.

he also worked for Lockheed, NASA, Booz Allen Hamilton, and other :thunk: type outfits in those days as well

he could have easily amassed a trove of documents he shouldn't have held onto, and then used that status to leverage more information along the way. even if it all has an expiry date of 2005 or earlier, he could have some explosive information

but, considering how all of these stunts never amount to anything, it'll probably be a bust.

The only way any of that works is if we accept that his public persona as an unstable crazy person who loves using research chemicals is a complete act. It would mean he's actually an incredibly calculating person who took a cache of incriminating documents from the 90s and used them to acquire more incriminating documents and kept that chain going to the present day.

I don't doubt that there's people in this world who can and do exactly that sort of thing, I just question whether John McAfee is such a person. He seems to me like the exact opposite, the kind of person that would be constantly having games run on him instead.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

realizing that the mass incarceration system wasn't broken but was functioning exactly as designed. it took me way longer than it should have

Edit: mass incarceration system

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

inconsequential posted:

Aberration in the Heartland of the Real: The Secret Lives of Timothy McVeigh by Wendy Painting

Would someone be willing to give me the cliffs notes on McVeigh here? I always assumed he was spook adjacent because of his white supremacist connections but don't know anything really beyond that.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

he was basically being run by the FBI as part of operations Northstar and/or PATCON

check my posts in this thread, I summarized the book in just a few posts, maybe a couple months back

Danke

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cached Money posted:

yes, exactly, he's told basically every major version of the events himself at some point. he eventually settled in on just going with the official lone wolf version for some reason.

Yeah, I haven't dug into it much (hence my asking), but that's something that has been pretty obvious even to me as just someone reading general coverage. At an absolute minimum, a whole bunch of people knew he was working on something big and nasty, and helped him in various ways.

The way that I've always figured his stories just from reading coverage is that he was trying to see if there was anything he could give up that would take the death penalty off the table. Once he figured out they were gonna fry him regardless, he went with the lone wolf version because he didn't have anything to gain by snitching so what's the point.

Obviously not claiming that's true, just want to state how it seems to me from the outside. Gonna tuck in and read the older posts in the thread today, curious to see how my uneducated opinion changes.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

My favorite theory is that Oswald missed with his first shot, got Kennedy and Connolly with his second (the magic bullet), and then the Secret Service agent riding in the next car domed Kennedy

...with an accidental discharge after the car he had stood up in suddenly accelerated.

No idea if it's actually true, but it is by a large margin the stupidest possible scenario, and so therefore the one most likely to have happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

the most obvious JFK stuff is how obviously CIA-connected oswald was imo. there's no credible case to be made for him just being a nut, he's very clearly an intelligence-connected guy. idk about bullets and all that stuff, but just the background and behaviour of the alleged perpetrator stinks of US intelligence

yeah, he wasn't a nut. regardless of his motive, he knew exactly what he was doing

he was either a pissed off communist super mad at jfk (or connolly :tinfoil:) or a direct asset who killed jfk at the direction of ... well, take your goddamn pick

i tend to think that most of the conspiracy is the CIA or others egging Oswald on trying to get him to do something more in line with trying to shoot Edwin Walker so they would have painted him as a soviet sleeper agent, but then he hauled off and shot kennedy

they almost certainly had a bunch of records of him talking poo poo about Kennedy (along with a ton of other people), the agents agreeing with him, trying to poke him enough that he'd do something. then when they realized what he had done, they went into coverup

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Source4Leko posted:

Yea people can argue with me and that's fine but I'm personally pretty sure that the shots were taken from above and behind.

They were. Not my image, but this is a decent representation of the scene for anyone who cares:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

V. Illych L. posted:

there's too much dodgy poo poo in his background for me to buy that he was a communist and he got too many bizarre breaks and friends he, bluntly, absolutely shouldn't have had to accept that he wasn't pretty directly under the control of some arm of the security state, presumably the CIA

i should say that i am absolutely not ruling this out. the stuff with de mohrenschildt alone means it can't be ruled out

i see a lot of parallels between how oswald was handled and tamerlan tsarnaev, honestly

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

to me, one of the funniest goddamn historical scenes has got to be Oswald immediately after the second shot

put yourself in his shoes for a second. he's just hit Kennedy but he has no idea if he just winged him or what and as he's lining up the next shot, he sees Kennedy's head explode

that's probably the first time in all this that he realizes he's been played (if he even was played and the second shot wasn't the Secret Service agent)

whatever intelligence connections Oswald had, I don't for a second believe that any of them would have told Oswald about other shooters because Oswald is exactly the kind of chickenshit who would start blabbing about it the second he was arrested

i think that puts a lot of his later kinda actions into context. he knows there was a conspiracy to kill Kennedy because he didn't kill him, but he also has no information beyond that. he's probably trying to remember which of his spook buddies he mouthed off to about Kennedy and who he told about what

later on he wants to talk but all he can say is that he was a patsy, which he likely now believes wholeheartedly, but he can't really offer any proof because he has none

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i can oswald's first shot being easy but what about the 3rd? aiming at a moving target, just reloaded 2x in under 6 seconds, he has to re-aim again after reloading and it's a headshot?

His first shot missed, and it was only after the second shot (the magic bullet) that the drivers even realized anything was wrong, and they didn't accelerate away until seconds after the third shot.

Remember, after the third shot, there was still time for Jackie O to climb up on the trunk and grab a piece of JFKs head and be pulled back by a Secret Service agent before the driver did anything.

That's not really open to interpretation either, that's all on film, and to my knowledge isn't disputed in any way.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, Krushchev was positive about Kennedy if not a little bit dismissive of him. There wasn't really a motive for the Soviets to want to get rid of him, if anything, the hope was that he would rein in the Pentagon.

Also, there is MLK/Malcolm X/RFK etc

I should clarify when I said earlier that Oswald may have been motivated to kill Kennedy because he was a pissed off communist, I did not mean to imply in any way that the Soviets or the Cubans were in any way involved. It's pretty clear that neither country wanted anything to do with him, mostly because they thought he was a plant.

Still don't think he was outright being ran as an agent, mostly because he was such a pathetic moron that no one in their right mind would trust him. My best guess is that he had people whispering in his ear, egging him into doing something that they could then use to show how communists are everywhere and plotting to overthrow the government.

But then he went and took a shot at Kennedy and they had to scramble to cover up that they knew anything about him, because shooting a retired general is one thing, killing the president is something else entirely.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think he thought of himself as a communist, at least up until his un-defection at a minimum, but I don't think he was really capable of holding serious intellectual positions and presenting them any more than your average liberal is capable of defending their beliefs in laissez faire capitalism.

He really liked the idea of being a communist, in that it made him seem dangerous and got people to pay attention to him. He never really bothered to learn about it beyond what it took to pull it off in conversation with regular people, so anytime he got around actual communists, they instinctively rejected him as a phony.

Though really I think the biggest argument against Oswald being an actual agent is that he's just so goddamn dumb. Everything about him screams that he's a dumb guy trying to sound smart, and I just don't buy that he was some kind of mental chessmaster who played a pathetic failure right up until the end.

And again, I'm not ruling out that he was in contact with various spooks even from before his defection, just that I don't buy that Oswald was ever actually in on it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

lol he supposedly became a born again right about when rush hour came out

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Toupee Groupie posted:

no one close to him was surprised when he offed himself.

That's the part that makes it less likely for me to be anything other than suicide. I dunno how anyone can look at his behavior in the months leading up to it and not see someone in an absolute self destructive spiral that was going to lead to him being dead, one way or the other.

The only mildly surprising thing is that it wasn't a straight up overdose. But I think he'd tried that at least once, possibly more, and his tolerance was so high that he survived. And regardless whether you believe that his OD in Rome was a suicide attempt or an accident, it's suicidally reckless at a minimum.

So much of this gets tied up in Courtney Love being a massive piece of poo poo. Like, she was absolutely setting herself up to be Cobain's grieving widow, not because she was gonna murder him, but because everyone around him knew he was gonna die and couldn't do anything about it. She was absolutely planning on milking that for all it was worth though, because that's who she is.

Pain and depression and drug addiction loving suck and I know this is the Epstein thread, but sometimes it's not all part of some grand conspiracy. It feels a little lovely to try to wrap this into the actual monstrous things that really have happened.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Crime on a Dime posted:

There is no junkie with a tolerance to opioids so high that a fatal overdose is impossible. Which drug(s) did he OD on in Rome? Are suicide or accident the only possibilities?

The exact pills are a matter of dispute apparently as I've seen it reported as "painkillers" but Love claims Rohypnol. Reports agree he then chased the pills, whatever they were with alcohol.

The doctor who treated him thought it was an accidental OD, for what it's worth, and Love was the one who found him and called paramedics. By all accounts, if she wanted him dead, she could have let him die right there and no one would have been the wiser.

I think Love was definitely indifferent to his possible death, at least in the sense that she had accepted it as an inevitability. Probably letting my own personal biases in on this one, in that I see the actions of a lot of people around Cobain as those of the friends and family of an addict who has repeatedly relapsed. They all accepted that there's nothing they can do and that at some point he was gonna have a fatal OD or otherwise die from his addiction, which can look weird from the outside.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GWBBQ posted:

Just looking at the other Q875 documents on the site, there are a lot of contradictions with what Wise is saying here.

https://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=80811
Mootoo wasn't on the scene for 48 hours and bodies were in advanced stages of decomposition. He had 12 hours of daylight to work. Nothing in his official report mentions needle marks on the back, only on upper arms, and may have been from him and volunteers collecting samples. He only conducted 5 autopsies.

https://novemberghosts.blogspot.com/2007/05/charles-huff-legend-in-his-own-mind.html
https://novemberghosts.blogspot.com/
Charles Huff's statements were made to the Church of Scientology's Freedom Magazine and are called completely false by a soldier who was there. Huff may not even have been a Green Beret.

https://jonestown.sdsu.edu/?page_id=32656
This is an interesting technical analysis of the tape.

People are pushing their own versions and agendas and we have to remember that human memory is notoriously fallible and malleable. Wise doesn't come off as very credible.

quote:

This was necessary in order to execute a bigger plan, which was to inject all the bodies in a way that would make it look like mass murder.

This is where I started laughing.

It was understood from the time that anyone heard the tapes that a good number of the people there were murdered and the idea that it was all voluntary suicide is a media narrative with little connection to actual facts.

If the CIA actually was there monitoring instead of this just being someone from Jones' hit squad who didn't kill themselves immediately, they would have known that. No need for some half-baked "put an injection in everyone where they can't do it themselves" garbage, the evidence was all right there on tape.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

smarxist posted:

it never dawned on me how silly the given race war lore for the murders is for some reason lol

like even if it's what Manson family members believed it could just as easily be the bugshit ravings of Tex Watson, and Manson was famously full of poo poo basically every time he opened his mouth

Vincent Bugliosi taking Manson's ramblings as anything other than what he needed to say in the moment will never not be hilarious.

He made that poo poo up on the fly and if they had done the murders a few months later, it would have been something just as batshit but completely different and Bugliosi would have printed that the murders were a satanic sacrifice to cause an earthquake to make California fall into the sea or whatever.

Azathoth has issued a correction as of 21:17 on Jul 26, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Saucer Hovers posted:

budd hopkins is my favorite implication here

that would be the least surprising reveal ever

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mdemone posted:

I have never heard the phrase "mudflood". By context I think I understand it, but could you explain?

It's a conspiracy theory that is basically on the same level as flat earth poo poo. A rough outline is that at some point within the last thousand years (and often within the last hundred or two) worldwide civilization was destroyed by a cataclysm that covered the earth in several feet of sediment (hence mudflood).

This previous worldwide civilization was quite technologically advanced, more than we are now, and is often called the Tartarian Empire (no idea if that's universal or just that some call it that). The theory holds that there is a grand, worldwide conspiracy to hide knowledge of this once great civilization and their technological wonders.

This necessitates accepting that the whole of worldwide history is completely fabricated, just to be clear. Archaeological evidence is either faked or misinterpreted, as are any surviving buildings. One particularly fun part of the conspiracy is that what we now use as church steeples were once wireless electricity towers and only recently have we repurposed those structures for their current purpose.

Their evidence for this is mostly that a lot of buildings worldwide are built on top of raised mounds, often with the remains of previous structures underneath, which has no explanation other than a massive worldwide catastrophe.

If you think it's dumb and that I must be explaining it wrong, I encourage you to spend some time trying to read that poo poo. It's borderline incoherent, and this is from a guy who reads crazy UFO poo poo for fun.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Chamale posted:

That's not accurate, according to what I've read about the trial and Voices From Chernobyl. Dyatlov stated that everything was normal, until they pressed the shutdown button. His staff, many of whom died shortly after the accident, testified that things were going wrong and Dyatlov ordered them to keep going, until they pressed the scram button and the reactor blew up.

Yeah, my understanding was that while there's some dispute over why the SCRAM button was pushed, in that it was either because the test was over and that was the procedure or because one of the operators was seeing weird readings and did it as a safety meaure. But regardless of why it was pushed, at that moment, there was not a panic in the control room and by no account I've heard was there yelling at that moment. The staff understood that the test was going wrong but not necessarily the true danger in the moments before the explosion.

Also, it's not entirely fair to say that the test as designed was going to lead to disaster. The test had been done three times before and it had failed in the expected, safe way on those occasions.

Things started to go wrong when the operators tried to take the reactor down to the prescribed power level (700MW to 1000MW) but either equipment failure or a mistake by Toptunov meant that the reactor went to basically no power. There's a lot of blame tossed around about this because this is the start of the chain of gently caress ups.

It's also, critically, where the operators would understand that things were not going right if not by the test parameters being violated then certainly by the alarms and warnings happening on their controls. However, it's unclear that any of the operators understood that there was a danger of meltdown or explosion from said warnings. I tend to think that they all knew the test they had been tasked with was thoroughly hosed, and maybe even that they were damaging things that would need to be replaced during maintenance but that no one really considered an explosion possible.

They managed to get the reactor back up to 200 MW and resumed the test. Dyatlov, Akimov, and Tuptunov should have understood the dangerous state of the reactor, but I have doubts that any of the other operators understood the danger, and it's also not intuitive that performing the test at 200MW would be more dangerous than performing it at the expected power level. And remember, it had failed safe three times at the expected power level.

One thing that I've never been able to find a satisfactory exploration of is just how common seeing warnings or receiving alarms was from the system. It's never explicitly stated, but from how everyone behaved, I get the distinct impression that they got a lot of warnings and errors and alarms and had generally become desensitized to them.

When the SCRAM button was pressed, I truly believe everyone thought that all the alarms would stop, as per normal, and that they'd proceed with the rest of the shutdown process normally. It was only when things intensified in the seconds after the SCRAM that it became clear that they'd actually lost control, not before that.

Ardennes posted:

From what I have seen it doesn't seem like the was a serious issue until the procedure was put into place. So the question is was Dyatlov really a complete madman and responsible for nearly everything that occurred or was he simply following already known procedure? Doesn't it seem a bit weird it was just this one guy that was doing everything wrong?

The problem with this theory is that the initial fuckup was either Toptunov accidentally putting in the control rods way too far or an equipment malfunction that did the same. In either case, that act wasn't something within Dyatlov's control.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Marzzle posted:

this I could get into JBS was also the dumbest poo poo and I can only imagine what they'd of done if there was an internet at the time

the Soviets shot down a civilian airliner carrying their president, a sitting US Congressman, and that he survived and was taken prisoner is barely a blip on the conservative conspiracy theory radar

imagine the places that would have gone if the internet had been around back then

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ram dass in hell posted:

read this thread out loud to my partner over coffee this morning and got a "WAIT, ARE YOU SAYING BUSH KILLED JFK??!?" tyvm

i don't actually believe this, but the funniest possible interpretation is that Bush had his own assassination plan going and upon hearing that JKF had been assassinated, thought that it was his guys taking him out early, so he quickly needed to establish a verifiable alibi, then he found out that someone else got to JFK first

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god

(also look up "Operation Plowshare")

my favorite part is Operation Gasbuggy, which investigated the feasibility of using nuclear weapons for fracking

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

StashAugustine posted:

lmao remembering that ghost stories ep arguing that mothman was a mkultra experiment and now we've got hard evidence of an irl example of that kind of psyop being used domestically

there's a bunch of evidence that while the mothman flap was happening that the government was moving a bunch of nuclear weapons material around the area

legit no idea how or if those two things are connected, since it seems like calling attention to the area where poo poo is moving is a bad idea, but it's definitely an underexplored aspect of what really happened

gray barker was part of mkultra and was actively working to discredit ufo researchers, keel included, or at least muddy the waters by "pranking" them with disinfo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Nah, I can't back that up beyond Barker being well known to prank UFO people because he found it really funny to get them to report inaccurate info that people would then keep passing along. I don't think he was actually mkultra but anything he was even tangentially involved in needs to be run through the "was this just Gray Barker being a troll" filter.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ill give you that. the dude was a primordial exemplar of a trickster and imo thats one of the only ways to make a lasting impact the culture like he did. another is to be an op. gotta say if he was on the payroll being one of the first people in the world to contract/die from HIV looks even shadier.

yeah, most of his lies are because he never let the truth get in the way of a good story but i do hold open the possibility that he was part of an op, wittingly or otherwise

personally, i think the cia manipulation of the ufo community from back then goes way, way beyond what is commonly known and barker being an unapologetic liar is hard to ignore in that light

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I think there was an overarching goal to make the community believe the craziest possible poo poo as a marginalization tactic, but I would agree that most of it was throwing a ton of poo poo out there and seeing what stuck. I do think that there were some researchers who absolutely took government money under the table, and I do legit believe that Barker was a target, but I shouldn't have said for sure that he was a part of it, even if I do believe that he was.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

word, you do you and its a base that needs covering. for whatever its worth i found no evidence of direct collusion after many hours in the gray barker reading room collection at the clarksburg-harrison public library.

that is good to know, like seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Marzzle posted:

it was... an actual mothman then?

the actual appearances of the mothman are the least interesting part of the whole episode