Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
more content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uG9SBl-ETs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Hey that flying guy is the great commercial actor who didn't recycle in the Terry Crews Office Linebacker ad!

Which was in the 2000s I think

yeah it was (there were a few others but I think this one was the best, also it was Lester Speight / Terry Tate):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBrYvX5MojQ

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Jul 9, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Time has made everyone forget that they started as a lolrandom flash animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuFEiXijKA

In the early 00's, flash videos/animation were the biggest source of internet comedy

What was that japanese one with the airplanes and stuff

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

YTMND was 2000's as hell. I miss sitting there sifting through what would become the proto-memes.

https://mashable.com/article/ytmnd-youre-the-man-now-dog-shuts-down/

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/historical-inaccuracies/1/

It was the thing to do when a class went down to the library to use the computers. I didn't understand the whole concept of message boards at the time so I couldn't understand what my friend was doing getting blocked by the paywall from some site that was just a bunch of text with the occasional photoshop that was worse than the ones on the main site.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something that happened in the early 2000s was the death of rock radio in many US Markets. Rolling Stone had an article that I can't seem to find online that basically said Limp Bizkit killed it. To elaborate that New Metal/Rap Metal or whatever the hell you wanted to call it scene was mega ultra popular so quick, a lot of stations switched to primarily playing that stuff, but the popularity of it died off just as soon (I remember the article cites that people realized this was music for people who beat them up in high school). Problem is the radio stations were pretty slow in changing formats, because there wasn't a lot of rock that was mainstream enough for them to play. We're still a bit of a ways away from the indie rock mainstreaming, so they just kept playing the same stuff and losing listeners. Big radio networks like Virgin which essentially are giant playlists snatched them up and played a mix of classic and modern stuff that was comfortable for pretty much everyone to listen to took over the stations.

Now I think that may have been part of it, but I feel it was more just general change in the way people consume music. By the early 2000s ipods and mp3 players were getting more common. making an burned audio cd was pretty easy as well. You didn't need to rely on the radio to listen to what you wanted, plus you didn't have to listen to dj praddle and ads. Also the early 2000 is when rock started to become more a narrow genre, it lost its ground to pop even more and rap and hip hop overtaking it.

So it was less just Limp Bizkit driving people away, but more about the changing ways to consume music.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Limp Bizkit killed rock music because no rock and roll could live up to it so why bother trying.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

In the year 2000 Sisqo wrote a song about thongs

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Time has made everyone forget that they started as a lolrandom flash animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRuFEiXijKA

In the early 00's, flash videos/animation were the biggest source of internet comedy

Oh god not again noooooooooo

Push El Burrito posted:

Limp Bizkit killed rock music because no rock and roll could live up to it so why bother trying.

Holy poo poo lmao

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Thermos posted:

In the year 2000 Sisqo wrote a song about thongs

Ugh I was still hearing that in 2003 when i'd go to bars/clubs. The djs would paly it and go "lets see those thongs ladies!" and I saw everyone booing that multiple times.

When I think of flash animation that wasn't ymnd I think of INvasion of the Gabber Robots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRzBVv2CSE0

Also where were you when you found out about 9.11? I was still in bed as I didn't work until noon that day, and my mom comes in and says "You should probably see what's going on" and turns my tv on to cnn and I remeber asking "was it an accident? Thats horrible some plane was so off course it crashed into a building" and that moment the second plane hit the tower. When I went to work later no one, absolutely no one was in the store. Just the staff, and I was working at one of the major grocery stores in the city at the time. We had a trickle of customers all day, everyone was just home with their eyes glued to their tvs.

One thing I did do, is as they forced all the other planes to land, and a lot ended up there in Halifax and in St Johns, so I and most of the rest of the staff grabbed all the sandwiches and salads, bottles of water and pop, put them in containers and took them to the hotel next to the store as it was one of the places that the passangers were being taken to (Halifax at that time had no hotels near the airport). God drat I've never seen people so scared in my life. They had no idea what was going on, if they were on a plane that was going to crash into another target or what.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
DBZ_Broly_Korn_Freak_On_a_Leash.wmv

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEtfIdgjpY

Pre-Youtube era of viral videos was weird and fun. The G.I. Joe PSAs are probably my favorite and I still quote them occasionally. The videos were originally hosted on the creator's own website but when Hasbro hit him with a cease and desist order he had to take down the videos. The resulting notoriety, and trading and rehosting of the videos, boosted the videos' popularity immensely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

j.peeba posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogEtfIdgjpY

Pre-Youtube era of viral videos was weird and fun. The G.I. Joe PSAs are probably my favorite and I still quote them occasionally. The videos were originally hosted on the creator's own website but when Hasbro hit him with a cease and desist order he had to take down the videos. The resulting notoriety, and trading and rehosting of the videos, boosted the videos' popularity immensely.

Depressing to think Venture Bros is early 2000s. That's how I discovered these. Henchmen 21 is wearing a Porkchop Sandwiches in season 2s opener and a goon pointed out where it was from was linked. I think the main source I had for getting this kind of stuff was Myboot or something like that.

He also made some well edited rap videos using cartoon clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YYMw1_FZL8

Also the Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The "aw, gently caress!" of the kid is so perfectly executed

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's crazy that those GI Joe edits are legendary and remembered over 15 years later and today we plow through memes so fast that everything is quickly forgotten. Nothing resonates.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
If you're bored and looking for some filler binge material, "The 2000's" on Netflix is decent. There's also a 90's one, but I felt that the 2000's one was more interesting because the 90's have been well discussed and nostalgia'd over but we're only now reaching the point where the '00's are distant enough to feel nostalgia for. That and it's surreal seeing things I still remember from my high school time being discussed as history.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Also the Rude Awakening of Optimus Prime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y

"You've run this organization right into the loving ground". :awesomelon:.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twistedmentat posted:

Also where were you when you found out about 9.11?

I was working graveyard at the time, and had been off an hour or two, and was flipping through channels, smoking a blunt. :smith:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I remember playing a lot of half life mods like counter strike beta, science and industry, and team fortress classic. Smoked a ton of weed and got real good at unreal tournament 2004. Now i just play lovely games on my phone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

twistedmentat posted:

Also where were you when you found out about 9.11?

I lived in the Seattle area at the time so it was about 6:30 in the morning. We were on overtime for some reason, and I was one of like 5 people in my section the warehouse. One of the people I worked with got a call from his girlfriend at the time and he told us she was freaking out because "the Iranians were bombing us."

When the information started trickling in, it was just that someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center. Of course without a TV, I know I was thinking it was just some jackass in a Cessna that flew too close.

It was the next few days that it seemed to effect us on the West Coast more. One of my coworkers who lived out in a more rural area was talking about how eerie it was not to see any planes fly over, and how quiet it was.

It's crazy that those GI Joe edits are legendary and remembered over 15 years later and today we plow through memes so fast that everything is quickly forgotten. Nothing resonates.

It was the iPhone, it really was. Image macros were pretty great IMHO, and then around 2008 when the iPhone had taken hold, you started getting the early memes like the Advice Animals, and it's just snowballed from there. These days the meme turnover is so fast I can't even pay attention anymore :corsair:

If you're bored and looking for some filler binge material, "The 2000's" on Netflix is decent. There's also a 90's one, but I felt that the 2000's one was more interesting because the 90's have been well discussed and nostalgia'd over but we're only now reaching the point where the '00's are distant enough to feel nostalgia for. That and it's surreal seeing things I still remember from my high school time being discussed as history.

I don't agree that the 90's has been well nostalgia'd yet. We've been stuck on 80's nostalgia for 20 years, much like we did with the 60's. The 90's will probably get about as much nostalgia as the 70's did, which is not much at all.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Iron Crowned posted:

The 90's will probably get about as much nostalgia as the 70's did, which is not much at all.

Nostalgia for the 70s is waiting in line for gas for hours and pollution being so bad rivers caught fire. Also terrible fashion and bad haircuts.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't agree that the 90's has been well nostalgia'd yet. We've been stuck on 80's nostalgia for 20 years, much like we did with the 60's. The 90's will probably get about as much nostalgia as the 70's did, which is not much at all.
The 70s were the malaise and "gently caress, did we really lose VietNam?!" Years. No one wants to go back to the weird hedonistic excesses that accompanied that sense of emptyness and urban blight.

The 90s by comparison were great once the recession passed and GenX started to be successful. People are going to yearn for the time they thought the government worked, they had jobs, and technology was making things exciting.

No one's going to want to revisit the 00s for long because of the mess that 9-11 made of the landscape. They're going to see it as throwing off the trajectory of the 90s.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I lived in the Seattle area at the time so it was about 6:30 in the morning. We were on overtime for some reason, and I was one of like 5 people in my section the warehouse. One of the people I worked with got a call from his girlfriend at the time and he told us she was freaking out because "the Iranians were bombing us."

When the information started trickling in, it was just that someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center. Of course without a TV, I know I was thinking it was just some jackass in a Cessna that flew too close.

It was the next few days that it seemed to effect us on the West Coast more. One of my coworkers who lived out in a more rural area was talking about how eerie it was not to see any planes fly over, and how quiet it was.

I live in the San Francisco metro area. There are three big international airports around the bay, plus a few podunk little airports, and my house was under one of the major flight paths approaching SJC (although it's hard not to be near a flight path here..). Not hearing planes go by was really loving weird. :tinfoil:

That morning I woke up to my alarm radio like usual, hit snooze a couple times, and groggily tried to piece together what the gently caress the morning DJ was yammering about. It didn't really hit me until he said something about a tower collapsing, at which point I bolted out of bed and ran to the living room to turn on the tv. Going to school that day was also really loving weird. I'm not sure we actually did anything because people were too much in shock.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

No one wants to go back to the weird hedonistic excesses that accompanied that
Extremely wrong. There’s still very much a hunger for that abandon and indulgence in certain parts of American culture.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Not trying to be rude, but could we maybe avoid this becoming a “where were you on 9/11?” thread? There’s so much more to cover.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I only remember the first half of the 00s and they sucked so much I pretty much went on a 6 year bender to ignore it, like a disappointed father who's son turned down a full scholarship to sell phones at a mall kiosk.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Darthemed posted:

Extremely wrong. There’s still very much a hunger for that abandon and indulgence in certain parts of American culture.
It's funny, I was writing up a "the 1970s were a low point of awful solipsistic self-indulgence" but I kept having to narrow the scope to make it not apply to now (I was down to adults dealing with kids... real neglectful parenting, lots of pedophilia songs on the charts etc.) until I was like well maybe this isn't much of a point and deleted it.

edit: also yeah folks are going to say parenting now is overbearing and I agree. But if you ever read a story about a mom in the US without mental problems abandoning her kids, it was probably in the 1970s.

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Jul 10, 2019

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I remember having to buy a 128mb flash drive in 2004 for my visual basic class. loving thing cost $50.

Now 2gb flash drives are given away for free as tchotchkes at conventions and banks.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I was in middle and high school in the 2000s and I was pretty much just sitting around playing through shooters on xbox the whole decade. I remember I used to go to Blockbuster all the time, and me and my friends laughed at this kid from school when he said they were all gonna go out of business soon. Now my local Blockbuster has become a physical therapy place surrounded by a bunch of empty storefronts. You can still see the movie return slot on the outside of the building.

Even when I was that young, I could tell the 2000s sucked compared to the 90s. Everything was confrontational, misanthropic, and miserable, and (at least in the US), pop culture was just awful. There was the corny rap rock explosion, Eminem was one of the biggest rappers, all my friends loved poo poo like Disturbed and Slipknot. My taste in music was pretty bad back then too, but not that bad. Pre-9/11 and in the later years of the 90s, you can kind of tell there was a Y2K futuristic aesthetic that was developing with rounded shapes, see-thru plastics and such, but after 9/11 it was like all that was dropped and the whole country was just stuck in a permanent rage. 24 was the biggest show in the US and Jack Bauer was an insane violent maniac.

There's some stuff I miss, though, like the whole Guitar Hero/Rock Band fad, which was a lot of fun and which inspired me to learn how to play guitar. And I miss a bunch of old internet poo poo I liked as a kid. Homestar Runner was still updating all the time back then. Youtube Poops hit it big around 2007, when I was in 8th grade, so it was the perfect time for me. And some of those old YTMNDs were funny as hell, like I'm still laughing at KOENTMND jokes like a dumbass. I love going back and watching the ludicrously compressed "animations" people were making for those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h6seJ3xjWA

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 00:54 on Jul 11, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Not trying to be rude, but could we maybe avoid this becoming a “where were you on 9/11?” thread? There’s so much more to cover.

That's why I asked it in the first page, to get that over with.

I think I've discribed early 2000s culture being basically dominated by Florida.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Beastie posted:

I remember having to buy a 128mb flash drive in 2004 for my visual basic class. loving thing cost $50.

Now 2gb flash drives are given away for free as tchotchkes at conventions and banks.

I worked at an electronics store in the late 00s that gave out 1gb and 2gb flash drives to their mailing list subscribers. I also watched the price on them go down by 3 or 4 bucks just in the year+ that I worked there, and I was constantly amazed that these things had gotten so cheap. I bought an 8gb drive for less than $20 and was loving blown away.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
It's weird to think that GTA Vice City's retro setting wasn't further in the past than Vice City's release date is today.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with perception of time as we age (I was a baby in '86, the last decade feels like a year), but previous decades culture and fashion seems so much more definable and iconic.

spleen merchant has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Jul 11, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Counterpoint: Dickbutt. He goes back to 2006 and has been with us the entire time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Counterpoint: Dickbutt. He goes back to 2006 and has been with us the entire time.

The best jokes are simple ones that can be retold in a thousand different ways and contexts and still be funny like Loss or Dickbutt.

A lot of memes nowadays tend to be topical things with a lifespan can be measured in days or weeks.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

spleen merchant posted:

previous decades culture and fashion seems so much more definable and iconic.
Fashion is an interesting thing because the rise of YouTube and Social Media created a whole new category of makeup application that's really popular with teens and 20 year olds today.

Growing up in the 90s meant makeup was like lipstick, lip liner, mascara and maybe some foundation or blush and eyeshadow poo poo. Nowadays its color correcting blemish hiding foundation, white hilight toner, contouring tones, etc. It's loving wild how much of an artform it has become.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

I remember wearing Levi’s in this metallic shiny blue denim in 2002. gently caress.

I miss women wearing low cut jeans, but not trucker caps.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of insane how omnipresent memes are in current society. They dominate the internet. They sway elections and opinions. They're like the only thing generation Z does online. I do miss the 90's and 00's days where finding and knowing the "inside jokes" of the internet had an element of exclusivity.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

spleen merchant posted:

It's weird to think that GTA Vice City's retro setting wasn't further in the past than Vice City's release date is today.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with perception of time as we age (I was a baby in '86, the last decade feels like a year), but previous decades culture and fashion seems so much more definable and iconic.

I would agree that everyday fashion of the 00's is much harder to define. I'm no fashion expert, but was fashion in '09 really much different than now? Early '00's however had stuff like bleached hair highlights, gelled hair, spray tans, choker necklaces, girls doing that "pull your hair back except for two long strands down the front of your face" thing, to name a few examples.

The alternative styles definitely had definable highlights, however. It essentially went from goth to emo to "scene" to indie/hipster. Stores like Hot Topic reflected every shift. Today, those cliquey corporate-driven subcultures largely seem to not exist, at least in the US. Hot Topic is now basically just ThinkGeek combined with Spencer Gifts and they sell lots of Disney stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Not gonna lie, I used to own a ton of stupid Hot Topic clothes, like those pants with a ton of straps and non-functional zippers on the legs. It was also one of the few places to find anime merch at the time, if you were into that poo poo. First time I visited one of their stores was just because they had one or two Sailor Moon things. Then my parents tried to forbid me from going in because it was a devil worship store. :jerkbag:

Speaking of stupid anime poo poo, does anyone remember Suncoast Videos? Or like, buying physical media at all?