Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

FilthyImp posted:

Growing up in the 90s meant makeup was like lipstick, lip liner, mascara and maybe some foundation or blush and eyeshadow poo poo. Nowadays its color correcting blemish hiding foundation, white hilight toner, contouring tones, etc. It's loving wild how much of an artform it has become.

This is true and as someone who works for a makeup company it also kind of sucks. The explosion in the varieties and shades of makeup available means a whole lot of paperwork. I'm dreaming of the day makeup goes from having 48 different shades to just being filled by some automatic color-matching machine in the store.

I'd guess most of the modern fashion stuff is probably on Instagram etc, because for most people they don't try to show off as much when they go out nowadays. When I went to school in a big city I saw a lot of crazy fashion, but working in the suburbs I pretty much see people wearing practical boring clothes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Renting anime at blockbuster was like russian roulette. Were you going to get some awesome gore and titties, or boring crap with a terrible dub?

Usually, it was a mix of both.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thermos posted:

Renting anime at blockbuster was like russian roulette. Were you going to get some awesome gore and titties, or boring crap with a terrible dub?

Usually, it was a mix of both.

I had to rent 80s horror movies for gore and titties

:corsair:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I had to rent 80s horror movies for gore and titties

:corsair:

:yossame:

The one time we rented from the anime Japanimation Section, it was not something to be repeated.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I still own my BlockBuster membership card and it's under my desk somewhere. Slowly gathering in value ! I'll be rich !

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Dedicated portable music devices are very 2000's. I'm sure a lot of goons still have a 180gb click wheel ipod or something, but almost everyone uses their phone.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I had a zune. I really liked it because it played videos.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Beastie posted:

Dedicated portable music devices are very 2000's. I'm sure a lot of goons still have a 180gb click wheel ipod or something, but almost everyone uses their phone.

If streaming wasn’t what it is now, I sure would have an old HDD-based iPod. Conversely, dunno if I could live with an old flip phone, I barely ever used my mobile before smartphones were a thing.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I stream almost all audio so I do use my phone for that. But if I had to store a lot of audio files I would definitely still get a dedicated MP3 player

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've still got my Zune! I charge it up once every few years. It's a time capsule of all the music and TV I was into around 20.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

If streaming wasn’t what it is now, I sure would have an old HDD-based iPod. Conversely, dunno if I could live with an old flip phone, I barely ever used my mobile before smartphones were a thing.

I really wish the smart phone hadn't been invented

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

If you're bored and looking for some filler binge material, "The 2000's" on Netflix is decent. There's also a 90's one, but I felt that the 2000's one was more interesting because the 90's have been well discussed and nostalgia'd over but we're only now reaching the point where the '00's are distant enough to feel nostalgia for. That and it's surreal seeing things I still remember from my high school time being discussed as history.

Love this. Is it still on Netflix?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

ICHIBAHN posted:

Love this. Is it still on Netflix?

It is, at least in the US. I don't know if it's available in all regions. Just now I found out that they also did a series for the 70's and 80's in addition to the 90's and 00's. These are produced by CNN.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bees on Wheat posted:

Not gonna lie, I used to own a ton of stupid Hot Topic clothes, like those pants with a ton of straps and non-functional zippers on the legs. It was also one of the few places to find anime merch at the time, if you were into that poo poo. First time I visited one of their stores was just because they had one or two Sailor Moon things. Then my parents tried to forbid me from going in because it was a devil worship store. :jerkbag:

Speaking of stupid anime poo poo, does anyone remember Suncoast Videos? Or like, buying physical media at all?

I still have a stack of those stupid edgy Hot Topic shirts in storage somewhere, the "you laugh because I'm different - I laugh because you're all the same" and similar ones from multiple birthdays and christmas that I never wore.

I could probably make a quilt out of them and actually might now that I think about it.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

CGI-heavy music videos were big. Britney, Aguilera, Kylie, Shania Twain, et al had cgi urban environment videos with them operating/riding cgi vehicles.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There is only one queen of 2000s music videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjIvu7e6Wq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XayUCLgxS5c

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Jul 12, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They sucked

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I did enjoy some of the dumb celebrity dating shows that VH1 had. Rock of Love was my trashy rear end guilty fave along with I Love New York and early seasons of the Surreal Life.

Plus my weaboo phase really got set off by Gundam and Visual Kei/Jrock. I had a binder my senior year that was DeviantArt (I think, I may have also gotten it off Livejournal) fanart of my favorite VK band at the time.

Tulalip Tulips has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I think the world ended at the turn of the millennium and we are all in hell.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Animal-Mother posted:

I think the world ended at the turn of the millennium and we are all in hell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Scene and Mallgoth/Punk was certainly a trend, but for regular people, I associate the early 2000s heavily with cargo pants.

And the early 2000s really was the golden age of physical media, at least for movies and TV. Mp3s coming around at the close of the 90s reduced the sales of cds to a fraction. But DVDs were everywhere, and it seemed like everything got a release. I bought so many. As I worked for HMV for a long time during then, I'd grab almost every major movie released if it was comedy, action, sci-fi or fantasy. Not horror, because at that time we are in the Saw and Rob Zombie hole and it was just stupid pointless cruelty and gore. At one point I had at least 300 of them. Lucky I got on the selling them off pretty early so I only have maybe 2 dozen left and most of those are things I want to keep.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://homestarrunner.com/ was the quintessence of 00s internet.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

golden bells posted:

CGI-heavy music videos were big. Britney, Aguilera, Kylie, Shania Twain, et al had cgi urban environment videos with them operating/riding cgi vehicles.

They went all-in on those lavishly produced music videos with stories that extended beyond the song, and it coincides with TRL becoming the main and often only vehicle for showing videos. So only about 10 videos would be showed on the entire channel each day, they’d be mostly the same 10 videos for weeks with slight variation, and most of them would be dramatically trimmed in favor of the studio stuff, rarely getting in the whole song let alone whatever they had bookending it.

What the hell was going to happen with the tiny aliens(?) infesting Korn in the video for Make Me Bad?! I didn’t even like Korn but I loving wanted to know dammit! :argh:

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 08:16 on Jul 12, 2019

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I really wish the smart phone hadn't been invented

I don’t disagree with you, actually. If smartphones were never invented, I’d still have a flip phone that would rarely be used, and I’d be more focused. I just find mobile phones to be mostly useless outside of emergency situations.

What I wish was never invented was social media as it is now. Message boards are one thing, but Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else that is fueled by social currency can go kick rocks. And it’s not just because I’m mostly a loner, I couldn’t care less either way if it were only that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don’t disagree with you, actually. If smartphones were never invented, I’d still have a flip phone that would rarely be used, and I’d be more focused. I just find mobile phones to be mostly useless outside of emergency situations.

What I wish was never invented was social media as it is now. Message boards are one thing, but Facebook, Twitter, and whatever else that is fueled by social currency can go kick rocks. And it’s not just because I’m mostly a loner, I couldn’t care less either way if it were only that.

I stopped using Facebook in I think 2015, maybe 2014, and I definitely agree. I'm pretty sure that the rise of Facebook and Twitter especially are due to the smartphone itself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fister Roboto posted:

There's something I associate with early 2000s, that gurgling background noise on the audio of ever video posted. I wondered if they recorded everything next to a fish tank.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

There's something I associate with early 2000s, that gurgling background noise on the audio of ever video posted.
Poor audio isolation, poor mics, and bad compression is my guess.

Weird factoid/myth, but Metal Gear Solid had all its voicework done in a studio cottage in Santa Monica, CA. When Konami went to the masters to reuse the assets for The Twin Snakes remake, the better hardware on the GC allowed for much of the imperfections to bleed through (so you would hear faint traffic noise and other poo poo in the longer spoken scenes). They ended up re-recording because of it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

you can migrate back to a flip phone. they're wildly cheap and if you get a plan without data, just talk and text, it's like five bucks a month. the dream of the early 2000s is still alive and you will no longer give a poo poo about dropping your phone or getting it wet

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

you can migrate back to a flip phone. they're wildly cheap and if you get a plan without data, just talk and text, it's like five bucks a month. the dream of the early 2000s is still alive and you will no longer give a poo poo about dropping your phone or getting it wet

I put off a long time until I was forced to switch because for a while there if you didn't want a smartphone, you were getting a Jitterbug phone designed for olds. I barely use the smart features in my phone, but it's definitely nice to have a camera, navigation, and podcasts in one device.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

This sick phone:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Fister Roboto posted:

My girlfriend once got Homestar Runner and Stormfront confused in her head and I laughed about it for a whole day.

"The 1936 Olympic.... GAMES!"

"Jeeeews!"

Anyway, that's my story.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Telling my grandma was "skeeting" was was definitely a thing I vividly remember from the 2000s, along with using Netflix for DVDs only.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When boy bands walked the earth

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Good stuff about the 2000s...

--good video games and consoles
--Radiohead had some decent albums
--AMD actually being competitive with Intel for a little while

All I can think of at the moment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Poor audio isolation, poor mics, and bad compression is my guess.

Weird factoid/myth, but Metal Gear Solid had all its voicework done in a studio cottage in Santa Monica, CA. When Konami went to the masters to reuse the assets for The Twin Snakes remake, the better hardware on the GC allowed for much of the imperfections to bleed through (so you would hear faint traffic noise and other poo poo in the longer spoken scenes). They ended up re-recording because of it.

That's hilarious. But yea, I figured it was bad compression for a lot of them. Though Homestar runner was probably made on the real version of Strongbad's computer.

There was that boom of animated flash shows in the early 2000s, I guess because there was no real censorship, they would do anything. So you had things like Mr Wong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdp11lE8S9I
Which is horribly racist.
And Queer Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wImRXN5Y5-w
Which is offensive though lazy stereotypes. And otherwise
And Hard Drinkin Lincoln, which is probably least offensive of the icebox shows made by Mike Riess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dLmfQ6j58

Oh and the attempt to continue the Critic as web cartoons. Which are really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maE85PbGyxc

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh and the attempt to continue the Critic as web cartoons. Which are really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maE85PbGyxc

lmfao i was obsessed with the internet version of The Critic when I was 10 years old because it was fuckin cartoons on the internet. crazy poo poo. I haven't seen it since then and wow it's bad. I also remember watching this a lot on AOL Keyword Cartoon Network:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAegRgRkOU4

there was something really magical about flash cartoons in the 2000s. I wish homestar runner updated more nowadays.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

mycophobia posted:

there was something really magical about flash cartoons in the 2000s. I wish homestar runner updated more nowadays.
Part of it was just the crazy personalities that inhabited the space and part of it was seeing the democratization of an art form we grew up with happen before our eyes.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

spleen merchant posted:

It's weird to think that GTA Vice City's retro setting wasn't further in the past than Vice City's release date is today.

I'm sure a lot of that has to do with perception of time as we age (I was a baby in '86, the last decade feels like a year), but previous decades culture and fashion seems so much more definable and iconic.

"Well no poo poo" time: The gap between Star Trek and the first movie is only two years longer than the gap between Voyager and the reboot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What was the flash cartoon about the rabbit or something and a Goth woman? I remember the rat had high pitched voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

twistedmentat posted:

What was the flash cartoon about the rabbit or something and a Goth woman? I remember the rat had high pitched voice.

Foamy the Squirrel, bro. The grandaddy of all those videos on youtube where people portray themselves as some kind of cartoon character and rant about unimportant crap.