Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the Amiga filesystem could fit 880k on a DD floppy disk instead of 720k and supported long filenames natively instead of using lovely hacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

this raises a question of how many raw bits are on a floppy. same with a cd

like didn’t some cd movie file format use a different mode that had less error checking cos errors in a mpeg stream don’t matter much compared to just having more data overall

on my amiga i had a driver which put 900 something kb on a floppy. how did it do this? less error checking I presume. maybe it asked the head nicely to get closer to the edge idk

iirc the standard low level track format had some metadata and maybe some crcs (i don't remember exactly) I just remember that game devs that wrote their own disk routines would often just write a big blob of data on each track instead

the standard format was probably also a bit conservative and left more unused space at the end than necessary (to make sure that the end of a track didn't overwrite its beginning, considering that all floppy drives didn't have the exact same rotation speed), and the thing to put 900k on a disk was maybe leaving less unused space