Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I never thought there would come a day where i would say "that underglow looks good"

Tailgate talk: I've had all 3 types of door on wagons and suv's over the years, full lift, clam shell and barn door/split barn - there are really advantages and disadvantages of every one I do think they missed the mark on the 300s with the full lift... but at the same time, arent there a ton of specs that have different configs of rear entrys?

as momjeans said, the best thing about barn doors is that you can stand up on there and access the roof rack, which was something I really loved about my fj, what I didn't love was trying to load stuff in the back if there was any obstructions.

anyway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

MomJeans420 posted:

That's why I like the "barn door" on the GX - it opens to the side so I can just stand on the back of the car to access the roof rack. I can do it with the door closed too but it's even easier with it open.

I had to lookup swag and stretcher and crack a tin to figure out this sentence, but at least my guess as to crack a tin was correct.

I decided to make this statement not true by adding some $20 amazon rock lights to replace the puddle lights I lost when I installed sliders. With help from the AI tools thread I crimped on the OEM style weather pack connectors, made brackets out of tie plates, and got some light back. It's a lot brighter than before but I needed to have something for light as I already people that have trouble getting into the GX and it's not even lifted (my nanny is < 5' tall).

https://i.imgur.com/lSMijjf.mp4

My 2017 GX with 65k miles has had an annoying RPM but not speed dependent whine for a while now, and my offroad mechanic noticed a slight weep from the waterpump when he was installed the bumper, so my GX is currently at the dealer getting a new water pump and alternator installed. Kind of funny timing as I was just telling my wife the GX was Consumer Reports most reliable vehicle (FWTW).

I thought my pitbull had to have a very invasive knee surgery (she's already had one knee done) but I finally got her x-rayed and thankfully she just has some arthritis in her back and hips so no crazy surgery, which means I can go ahead and lift the truck now. For the life of me I can't get her to use the doggy ramp I bought but I can always just pick her up to get her in and out. I still have to figure out what UCA to get, I'd say 90% of the people on the GXOR facebook group use SPC and have no problems, but my offroad guy (specializes in 4runners) really doesn't like SPC so I'm looking at other options. Probably Icon's tubular UCA but I'm not sure yet, open to suggestions.

That turned out well! Maybe just take those as the trial run before you :homebrew: on some RIGID lights. For the upper control arms - I am with your mech. I have the SPC on my LX. I am not impressed. They clunk and are loud. Icon stuff seems to be really well done and packaged. I feel like they have a bigger brand name to uphold as well.

CONTENT!
This way to the Waifu section

Trying to figure out all the timing and paperwork and process of importing is a bit of a Rosetta Stone. Good thing we have a KakerMix and johnnyonetime in the import thread which have been extremely helpful in a number of spots. I still have not tallied up the whole total basis to see what I am into my Prado. I am just seeing the bill, paying the bill and making sure it gets here without delays or incurring any fees.

Wednesday my Prado arrived. Sucks that it is dead nuts dark even at 6:00 PM so I didn't really take much photos. The transporter picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and had it delivered in barely over 24 hours to Salt Lake! Color me impressed. All you get are driveway photos because I was waiting on Hagerty to issue the policy (issued this morning) which leads to tonight's adventure of taking it to the DMV for titling/registration/VIN verification.

The TL;DR is that this thing is incredibly good and cool. It rides super smooth. Mechanically it is so far beyond what I was expecting for a 25 year old diesel car that has spent the last three months sitting on a dock/boat crossing the ocean. It didn't need a jump start or anything and it even has a half a tank of diesel!

You can see the DNA of the Land Cruiser all over the Prado. My favorite thing are the fog lights. They are just big and eye catching. Bros with Raptor Lights are 100% going to envy these bigass yellow TOYOTAS from my tiny little dieselboi.

It snowed last night for the first time this season and I could not help myself.

I will report back on how the trip to the DMV goes. If I nail it on the first pass I will be really pleased.

My Surf is on a boat too and the export docs just got shipped out Japan's Yesterday so that means I am probably two weeks out on the Surf. I am so stoked, Christmas is coming early.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I can't wait to see pictures of adventures with the Prado and Surf.

Re: tailgate chat

That is the one thing that I really feel is lacking on the 4Runner. I love the tailgate's retracting window, but when it comes to car camping or taking a break on the trail it would be really nice to have a built in flat surface to work on. Ever since I bought the truck I've felt that was lacking and have wanted to correct that.

Enter the ARB RDRF945 which stands for 'Roller Drawer, Roller Floor, 945mm'.

storage, we has it

The overall dimensions are 945mm long x 510mm wide x 280mm high or 37.2" long x 20" wide x 11" high which fit nicely in the 4Runner's cargo area. I was even able to retain most of the back seat's ability to recline which is a popular feature with Favorite Daughter when she isn't riding shotgun. Installing them was pretty straightforward as I had previously installed a Goose Gear mounting plate, it just had to be removed, marked for where to add mounting hardware (six chunky M10 t-nuts), and then replaced in the vehicle. The t-nuts were just a smidge longer than the thickness of the plate so I added an additional 7/16" thick block of plywood to the back of the plate so that the t-nuts are ever so slightly recessed.

drawer frames installed and testing ability to join/un-join modules in place (not gonna happen)

The drawers are theoretically removable but you really have to want to do it because it requires about an hour to disassemble the roller floor and drawers and then it's a two person affair to lift the frame out of the vehicle.

detail of t-nut

OK cool but what about the tailgate thing you wanted?

tadaa!

That's plenty of room for making coffee or sandwiches. It's a little on the high side due to the overall height of the vehicle but it works for me. For my wife I have a convenient stepstool stashed in the truck.

The cargo space in the drawers isn't bad either. I have some re-packing to do because I'd like to make one drawer more camping-oriented and try to consolidate the tools and recovery gear into the other drawer and make more use of the MOLLE panels for lightweight stuff like soft shackles, etc. I have some other plans such as cargo tie-downs and a removable extension so that I can sleep in the truck again and maybe some side panels to give the drawers a more integrated look. Mini projects like these will keep me busy over the winter.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I have the SPCs on my 3rd gen Tacoma, and would not go with them again. Personally I'd look at JBA or Camburg UCAs before I went with Icon, because IMO Icon is overpriced junk.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

LobsterboyX posted:

Tailgate talk: I've had all 3 types of door on wagons and suv's over the years, full lift, clam shell and barn door/split barn - there are really advantages and disadvantages of every one I do think they missed the mark on the 300s with the full lift... but at the same time, arent there a ton of specs that have different configs of rear entrys?

The 80's and 100/105 could be had with either lift up tailgate or 60/40 barn doors- the 300 is purely full lift up from the poverty pack right up to the GR-sport. Which is also the only one with you can get with factory differential locks. And costs $150K australian...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

I have the SPCs on my 3rd gen Tacoma, and would not go with them again. Personally I'd look at JBA or Camburg UCAs before I went with Icon, because IMO Icon is overpriced junk.

I run nitrogear on my 100 and my buddy runs JBA on his GX. We both go hard doing sweep at rally events and haven't had any issues with either.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The TL;DR is that this thing is incredibly good and cool. It rides super smooth. Mechanically it is so far beyond what I was expecting for a 25 year old diesel car that has spent the last three months sitting on a dock/boat crossing the ocean. It didn't need a jump start or anything and it even has a half a tank of diesel!

*stares in retrospect* you dumb bastard.

So this is probably a question for Ferremit. My initial driving of the Prado was great. I drove it to the DMV and got it licensed/registered/titled without issue. It seemed to run totally fine and good and normal.

I parked it in the driveway and it got very cold, like into the teens. I started it up and let it warm for a bit and started off. When I got to a more main road with a speed limit of about 80 kmh it struggled badly. The more throttle I gave it, the thing just fell on its face and stumbled bad. If I gave like 30 or 40% throttle it didn't complain but it also was not going that fast. I turned back around and again just drove around my neighborhood trying to figure it out. From a stop if I just mat the throttle first gear seems drama free. It is second gear when it gets to around 3000 RPM it really just chugs. It seems like it is not getting enough fuel. If I just keep foot to floor even while stumbling I would get a plume of white smoke behind me - not black. Temps all looked good. Oil is not milky and is full. Reservoir to coolant is exactly where it should be.

I called my vw TDI enthusiast friend to ask advice. Was it too cold and something happened? Condensation in the fuel from the boat ride? Has it gone bad because it is probably 5 months old? He suggested a fuel additive (Diesel911 stuff, from what I can tell it is probably just white gas). It seemed to improve it a little bit. I got on a highway and could run 80-100kmh pretty easy and be a little more aggressive on the throttle, but it still will catch and just stumble. If I try to hold throttle aggressively while stumbling I get a check engine light. If I let off and resume a "normal" throttle position the light goes off immediately.

I filled it up with new diesel (a little over half tank worth and drove 50kms more to get things circulated through. I parked it in my garage last night and will see if it was just affected from the cold.

I took a video from my drive post-filling. The first portion is basically a dead stop and then flooring it all the way through the gears. You can see how on the second gear it seems to really run out of breath at ~3000 revs. Then all third gear is a struggle.

Thoughts? EGR gunked up? Boost leak? Air leak? Bad Fuel? Could the transmission be messed up and it is dragging the engine? All the fluids seem good and I will be going through them this week but nothing seems alarming by color/smell/level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07eJimxiSDg

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I only had a 1kz for a minute before selling it but with diesels you should replace the fuel filter if possible when you start having weird fueling issues. So maybe do that? I believe there may be a drain at the bottom of the fuel filter enclosure/bowl so you may be able to drain a sample out of it and then look to see if it's contaminated or contains water.

E: does this sound like your problem (seems like it)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/solved-the-dreaded-fuel-surge-loss-of-power-1kzte.1197306/

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 12, 2021

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

*stares in retrospect* you dumb bastard.

So this is probably a question for Ferremit. My initial driving of the Prado was great. I drove it to the DMV and got it licensed/registered/titled without issue. It seemed to run totally fine and good and normal.

I parked it in the driveway and it got very cold, like into the teens. I started it up and let it warm for a bit and started off. When I got to a more main road with a speed limit of about 80 kmh it struggled badly. The more throttle I gave it, the thing just fell on its face and stumbled bad. If I gave like 30 or 40% throttle it didn't complain but it also was not going that fast. I turned back around and again just drove around my neighborhood trying to figure it out. From a stop if I just mat the throttle first gear seems drama free. It is second gear when it gets to around 3000 RPM it really just chugs. It seems like it is not getting enough fuel. If I just keep foot to floor even while stumbling I would get a plume of white smoke behind me - not black. Temps all looked good. Oil is not milky and is full. Reservoir to coolant is exactly where it should be.

I called my vw TDI enthusiast friend to ask advice. Was it too cold and something happened? Condensation in the fuel from the boat ride? Has it gone bad because it is probably 5 months old? He suggested a fuel additive (Diesel911 stuff, from what I can tell it is probably just white gas). It seemed to improve it a little bit. I got on a highway and could run 80-100kmh pretty easy and be a little more aggressive on the throttle, but it still will catch and just stumble. If I try to hold throttle aggressively while stumbling I get a check engine light. If I let off and resume a "normal" throttle position the light goes off immediately.

I filled it up with new diesel (a little over half tank worth and drove 50kms more to get things circulated through. I parked it in my garage last night and will see if it was just affected from the cold.

I took a video from my drive post-filling. The first portion is basically a dead stop and then flooring it all the way through the gears. You can see how on the second gear it seems to really run out of breath at ~3000 revs. Then all third gear is a struggle.

Thoughts? EGR gunked up? Boost leak? Air leak? Bad Fuel? Could the transmission be messed up and it is dragging the engine? All the fluids seem good and I will be going through them this week but nothing seems alarming by color/smell/level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07eJimxiSDg

Diesel congeals in the cold without additive which is basically kerosene. Maybe that’s the problem?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My 1kz hiace was able to handle the cold in utah just fine, but if there's contamination in the fuel that can cause it extra issues in the cold. Especially water contamination.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I would not expect the cold to take it from everything is perfect to everything is bad...update us on how the new diesel is, and being in a cold climate diesel additives will be prevalent.

My hopeful guess is after sitting, the new driving has clogged or fouled something. As said start with the fuel filter...yes there should be a drain on the bottom but that is to drain water...so drain that first and see. Then I would unscrew the fuel filter and go ahead and replace it (you might need to reuse that bottom part/drain on the new one). It should be right there under the hood. Fill the new one with diesel when installing.

Are you getting any lights under acceleration? The engine or turbo light coming on (or the turbo light coming on when it is not spooling?)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I only had a 1kz for a minute before selling it but with diesels you should replace the fuel filter if possible when you start having weird fueling issues. So maybe do that? I believe there may be a drain at the bottom of the fuel filter enclosure/bowl so you may be able to drain a sample out of it and then look to see if it's contaminated or contains water.

E: does this sound like your problem (seems like it)

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/solved-the-dreaded-fuel-surge-loss-of-power-1kzte.1197306/

That definitely looks a lot like my issue and after pontificating over the duration of the drive I put on it this weekend I am convinced it is fuel delivery related. Namely it is not getting enough fuel when you are giving it some gusto. When you are normally petering around it is unaffected and fine.

builds character posted:

Diesel congeals in the cold without additive which is basically kerosene. Maybe that’s the problem?

Yeah, my first thought was the gelling up of diesel. My VW TDI friend gave the suggestion of using Diesel911 additive which appears to basically be white gas/kerosene.

everdave posted:

I would not expect the cold to take it from everything is perfect to everything is bad...update us on how the new diesel is, and being in a cold climate diesel additives will be prevalent.

My hopeful guess is after sitting, the new driving has clogged or fouled something. As said start with the fuel filter...yes there should be a drain on the bottom but that is to drain water...so drain that first and see. Then I would unscrew the fuel filter and go ahead and replace it (you might need to reuse that bottom part/drain on the new one). It should be right there under the hood. Fill the new one with diesel when installing.

Are you getting any lights under acceleration? The engine or turbo light coming on (or the turbo light coming on when it is not spooling?)

I am thinking fuel filter too; and after reading the linked post from wilfredmerriweathr it seems to track. Cruiser Outfitters is here in Utah and I messaged them the part number this morning based on my Partsouq diagram and they have them in stock. I am grabbing two of them after work today and will see what I can get done in the garage tonight. Might as well have a spare. My Hilux Surf paperwork is getting delivered today! I have my ISF forms completed and on file with my broker so just waiting on the various bills and whatever. I could see that in the next two weeks though! Fingers crossed for a slightly better outcome.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fuel filter would be my bet too- I changed a nearly 50k km old fuel filter on a 1KD prado and it made a massive change in its performance.

I’d shotgun every fluid and filter in the vehicle cos you have no history on their age or condition

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Fuel filter would be my bet too- I changed a nearly 50k km old fuel filter on a 1KD prado and it made a massive change in its performance.

I’d shotgun every fluid and filter in the vehicle cos you have no history on their age or condition

Good News! On multiple fronts!

I was convinced it was a fuel delivery issue. Fuel filter was step one and Cruiser Outfitters happened to have them in stock. I made the arduous trek 15 miles north to grab after work. I got two because I don't want to be caught out without a spare.

McStephenson said he had the service manual and he sent me the procedure for replacement which proved to be absolutely worthless! He also had a link to a YouTube video which was super informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JqsJJGB0G0

So I scared up my tools including picking tools because my fuel lines looked like they have never come off the fuel filter housing before. They were going to need some encouragement to come off.

Feeling nostalgic I loaded up Home Grown Kings of Pop and slipped on my extra thick 5ml nitrile gloves.

Here is the filter housing/filter:

Two 12mm nuts remove the filter and housing. A single wiring harness unclipped without any dramas. Advent Horizon made the suggestion on AI Slack to get some absorbent pads as I have never played with diesel before and had no idea how much of a mess I would be making. I had no pads to speak of BUT being a dad I was pretty sure we still had some diapers around from when my youngest was not potty trained. As luck would have it we did! I Grabbed a few and had them under the filter and they definitely caught some mess. With the wiring harness unclipped I moved the clamps down on the fuel lines. With the picks I broke the lines free and then slipped them down. I had some clean stainless bolts that I just shoved into the fuel lines so it would keep from fuel dripping out all over.

I pulled the filter and housing off of the bracket. I then tipped it over into a container I had to catch the diesel. On the bottom of the filter is a sensor that is supposed to pickup if there is any water contamination in the fuel. The guy had a slick idea on how to unscrew it without destroying the plastic molded part at about 8 minutes into the video. The other trick is you just flip that whole assembly upside down and remount it back on the bracket. Then you don't have to use a vise or anything.

The sensor came unstuck without drama. I removed the old o-ring and installed the new one that came with the filter. I also used a small bit of lithium grease as suggested by Cursedshitbox. Removing the filter from the housing was a little challenging because it was so tight. I had a chain wrench I bought when I installed the lift on my LX that was able to clamp down full hero and break it free. I drained the fuel into the container I was catching the diesel in and a few black chunks came out. Nothing that would indicate a massive bit of blockage. I dipped my gloved finger into the diesel and ran it around the seal of the new filter.

Installation was inverse of removal. The black round part on top of the filter housing is the hand pump. This is to prime the fuel and purge air. I hooked the inlet line first and then primed until there was a steady stream of fuel coming through the "fuel out" fitting without any bubbles. I then hooked up the line going into the engine and primed until there was solid resistance. This was the part I was a little worried about as I know that diesels can be weird about air bubbles or running out of fuel. I turned the ignition on and let it sit as I assume there is probably a fuel pump and relay that would prime. I then turned it off and went back to push the hand primer a little more to see if there were any more air bubbles.

Then the moment of truth, I cranked and it took maybe one second longer than it has before and then it fired and happily rattled away. I checked for any leaks and saw no spewing out of the things I touched so I claimed a win.

I scooted around the neighborhood to get everything up to temperature for ten minutes or so and then I headed to the highway. I cautiously leaned into the throttle and it felt more peppy than before. I laid into it through second gear and watched the tach swing all the way to 4000 RPM completely linear and no hesitation. The same all the way through third gear up to redline. I took it to 120 kmh and it did so happily. Cruising at a normal pace and then mat the pedal; it kicked down and revved all the way up with some gusto. I am so glad it wasn't some giant mess of a situation and was resolved so easily and quickly. The whole job probably took 20 minutes and was less mess than an oil change. I think I only got through the first five songs of my album.

Next will be a deep cleaning and new tires as these are dry rotted and cracked and I am terrified to do anything over 50 mph with them.

EDIT
:siren: If you are reading this I am also going to endorse heading over to MrChips annual Sheep Game thread and participate! They are always a good time for bickeringconstructively speaking with others the merits of how they are wrong and what makes you superior! I am working on my answers today and will have them sent over. :siren: Here is a convenient link for you to click and make your way over there

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 14, 2021

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Detailing never ends

I have not learned much about the previous owner of my car, other than they kept their Prado for some 25 years and had an animal. They seemed to maintain it well enough too. I have driven a total of about 450 kms so far and it has been excellent ever since replacing the fuel filter. I have had to limit times I drive because of weather and the tires being absolute 10 year old cracked garbage. Costco tells me I will have my BFGs some time this week.

I have turned to the inside now. I spent a good half of a day over the holiday break to get into the cracks and really clean it up. I spent 20 minutes at the vacuum at the car wash getting as much out as I could and sprayed down the floor mats. They look so much better!

I also spent about half a tub of Clorox wipes on the inside. While I don't believe this owner smoked based on the condition of the inside it still was rather...gritty.

just gross.

The entire center stack is easily removed by three bolts. Two screws holding the top cover on were loose as well and caused the armrest to flop all over. Just tightening the screws on the hinge fixed that.

A steamer and a rag took care of a lot as well. Goo gone and persistent scrubbing also removed the remaining grease paint from the port/shipping.

After the work was done I was glad to have made the decision to wear gloves

The little flip down cup holder is not big enough for my Yeti tumbler, but it does work great for this.

After talking with my friend about the adventures of importing a right hand drive Toyota he started considering the same but found something in Texas. It was bought by the owner two or three years ago and he has driven it maybe 3000 miles during the whole time. The dude on instagram "Team Free Spirit" did a full background check and found the car to be really clean when it left Japan and told him to inspect a few areas. He scored it for a great deal and on Sunday he stopped by immediately after taking delivery.

I can say that the ST205 is extremely good and look forward to seeing the changes he will be making to this. First up will be a new steering wheel.

And at the time of writing this post I just got word from my shipping broker that my Surf was picked up from Long Beach just now so I could be seeing it tomorrow or Wednesday!

It looks even better in high res photos :swoon:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

current truck status: I installed new headlamp assemblies with projectors to replace the original headlamps with something that isn't fogged to hell & outputs more light:

currently dealing with alignment issues, though - I'm struggling to get the driver side to point high enough, and it might actually be a clearance issue between the projector assembly and, idk, some metal in the engine bay. I think the aiming adjuster is at its limit and its still a bit low, so I'm thinking about doing something stupid like shimming the assembly mounting a little bit. Idk. I need to look at it more.

With any luck, this time next week I'll be driving back from getting the cap installed!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my truck has been topped!

interior:

no popped up exterior pictures right now because I forgot to take any.

Now I get to figure out what to do with the interior! I've got a mattress picked out (3" thick firm latex custom ordered to the dimensions of the sleeping platform, something like 67" x 40" x 2 mattresses), and I've thought a bunch but made no decisions about the rest, leading to an important question for the thread: where do y'all poop, and how do y'all get clean? I'm thinking our options range from "shovel" to "composting toilet" for the former and, idk, a solar shower or something for the latter?

In other truck news, I found some rust when I took the bedliner out. one spot looks kinda bad:

and another looks like its headed that way:

I'm thinking I should probably look into getting these repaired before I start laying insulation?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Bloody posted:

In other truck news, I found some rust when I took the bedliner out. one spot looks kinda bad:

and another looks like its headed that way:

I'm thinking I should probably look into getting these repaired before I start laying insulation?

The topper looks great! Post some pictures and show all the inside! I just watched TrailRecon's video of his FWC pop top and I really liked it!

For me - if I am keeping the truck long term my vote is FIX IT. Just get it done. It won't improve on its own and will only get worse. Plus car values are stupid right now and who knows what the future looks like so fixing what you have now for not much money seems worth it.

I don't have much to update other than JDM cars are a blast and KakerMix has been right for the last 4 or 5 years or however long he has been doing it. These things are just right. I have driven the Prado about 1000kms and the Surf probably 500kms or so. The Surf is the one you date, but the Prado is the one you marry. I have new tires! finally! They look the business and it cleans up so nicely. Last weekend I went to Cruisers and Coffee at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum. McStephenson (the one with the HiAce van/thread) joined so both of the toys could be shown off. People were loving them both. The doilies of the Surf had a TON of reaction.

new tires at Costco!

Figured out the back light for the multidisplay of the Prado

So 90's.

Modern trucks are enormous.

I got a second key cut for the Surf. Matching everything; and the original keyring that came with it.

McStephenson and I checking out my friends Brayden and Laurens 60. Thing is dope. I am drinking hot chocolate.

With my increasing descent into madness I was just a 12 minute drive from a dealership that had a 2014 LX 570 I saw listed. I have been tracking it for a couple of weeks.

Sales guy has followed up A LOT. I don't mind though. It drove great and is in terrible need of a detail. I don't think they have a soul interested other than myself. Last night the dropped the price...again lol

I am curious how desperate they are :thunk:

This weekend is more detailing on the Surf and changing the oil/filter and air filter.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This the Land Cruiser hangout station?

86 FJ60 with 330k odd miles.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I am curious how desperate they are :thunk:

This weekend is more detailing on the Surf and changing the oil/filter and air filter.
[/quote]

The 13/14s and the 200 series Cruisers in general are for some reason very undervalued right now. When good 80 series are selling for this price (and yes I know why, not ever going to make anything like that again). I'd come in hard on the LX if that is what you want, certainly 35 or so. For 42-45 probably get into a Cruiser of the same year and it is going to hold value better and I think soon explode in value.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Do we think 100 series is still going to blow up in value? I mean, they are already stupid money for nice examples and I get hit up for it at least 2-3x a month....

Also I really like that there is like a cruiser cruise in - all the ones here in LA are way the hell out there in some random supermarket parking lot. There's groups that go wheeling, but I've never been invited to anything like that :negative:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

This the Land Cruiser hangout station?

86 FJ60 with 330k odd miles.

It is welcomed, encouraged, and required!

everdave posted:

The 13/14s and the 200 series Cruisers in general are for some reason very undervalued right now. When good 80 series are selling for this price (and yes I know why, not ever going to make anything like that again). I'd come in hard on the LX if that is what you want, certainly 35 or so. For 42-45 probably get into a Cruiser of the same year and it is going to hold value better and I think soon explode in value.

Yeah. The 2013 model year was the first face lift. The second and more dramatic facelift happened 2016+. 2013 got a MUCH nicer interior for both LX and LC. 2016 added an 8 speed transmission and the LX got extremely ugly on the outside and even better on the inside. The Land Cruiser 2016+ got a more dramatic overhaul on both the exterior and interior. They are also holding their values extremely strong. Like frustratingly strong. The sweet spot is definitely the 13-15 and for either platform if you are asking me. The LX seems to be easier to find. They seem to be in better condition and lower miles. I would prefer the LC but comparable examples seem to run $10K higher (or more). All things equal I would take that 10 grand and buy the tires and wheels I want (17's with a 33-34" tire) and sliders from SLEE off road. Maybe some under hood goodies like an ARB twin compressor and bigger battery like I have in my 470 now. If I could find a 16+ LC for not a huge amount of money that is absolutely where I will put my dollars. They look the most attractive of ALL options. I just don't think that will happen for a few years.

I can say that the 200 market (like all others) seems to move incredibly fast. After swelling from three cars to five after getting my Japanese imports I have done a lot of self reflection like - what the hell am I doing with myself? The M3 sits all winter, and I am trying to chase some dirt roads and involve the family more on the weekends. A newer 200 will do it more comfortably and will make pulling the Bean trailer much easier. I made the mistake of looking at the M3 Post forums and given my mileage/year/build spec on my M3 I fear it wouldn't take much effort to tell and for a good sum of money. The kind of money that I could sink into a 200. I could sell my 470 and then we could go back to a normal 2 car house. Everything would fit in the garage space nice and tidy. Every time I have floated that idea to my wife she immediately shoots it down because she thinks selling the M3 would be both dumb and stupid. I agree...but a part of me really wants a 200 and I don't know if I see that happening (responsibly) without dropping the M3.

Who knows what the year holds for me though! I think that if a 200 is going to happen this is the year to do it.

LobsterboyX posted:

Do we think 100 series is still going to blow up in value? I mean, they are already stupid money for nice examples and I get hit up for it at least 2-3x a month....

Also I really like that there is like a cruiser cruise in - all the ones here in LA are way the hell out there in some random supermarket parking lot. There's groups that go wheeling, but I've never been invited to anything like that :negative:

The 100s are blowing up in value. Yours would sell for an idiotic number. I think I could probably pull 12 grand for mine which is stupid because I bought it for $6900. Granted I have put a good chunk into it but still...being able to sell it for what I am in? That just is not normal. You should go hit up the RPM Offroad Garage guys and ask them where to go/follow so you can see some of their off road drives! That place is 100 series heaven and they do some awesome builds/maintenance.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

LobsterboyX posted:

Any Land Cruiser-anything will never be as inexpensive as it currently is. Because Toyota yanked the plug on that nameplate here in NA even more people know about it. I'm not sure about the 300s because that engine hasn't proven itself yet, but 200s and back, and Lexus GXs (aka Land Cruiser Prados) are going to do nothing but climb in value as their prestige matures ever more in this land of high-stressed vehicles without tried and true engineering.

So yeah man, 100s are on a vertical climb, following the 80s. 200s are right behind them as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What 100 do you have that you think is only worth $12k? Show me.

I absolutely don’t need it but one of my best buddies mentioned carvana would give him 41 for his 14 200 with 92k miles and pristine. I first told him it’s worth way more than that but he promised me first dibs all cash if he decides to let it go for that. He has a new Defender I have no idea what he would put his wife in from the 200 but I assume she just wants brand new something.

The time to buy a 200 is like yesterday but RIGHT NOW like go find one this week I expect one morning to wake up and they are 55-70k honestly. They are undervalued right now comparatively

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Low km turbo diesel 100’s are late model 200 series money here now in Australia. I bought my TD100 11 years ago with 106K km on the clock and zero accessories or mods for $53K. 11 years later at 425K kms and fully decked out it’s got an insured value of north of $90K- the base vehicle has barely depreciated 7K and accessories sure as poo poo aren’t getting cheaper!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I have :siren:updates:siren: for my thread!

Winter is receding finally and I am feeling the tingle of motivation in my soul. After being depressed about coming to grips that buying a 200 series would be both awesome and financially dumb I have decided the next best thing to do is make my LX 470 a much happier/better machine. It works both ways; if I make it better I am happier with it. If I make it better then it will be easier to sell if/when I get to that point.

We should start somewhere else. My M3; now owned for more than 5 years. At the beginning of last year I decided new tires were not worth it and I would wait until later in the season. I did not see the supply chain fiasco happening. I could have easily bought tires in June. Instead I waited and ran on basically bald tires for the second half of last year when I decided to drive the M3 around. I spent 6 months regularly checking on Costco's site for PS4S tires that were easily the cheapest by a large measure but getting more expensive among all tire sellers. They had either just fronts or just rears or none at all in stock. Then my luck finally came last month-ish and they had my size in stock! And a rebate for $150! Still ran almost $1600 for the full set out the door. Note that this was about $350 more than it was back in June when I could have easily ordered and purchased them.

I only just took it out last week for the first time this year and it was lovely and any previous notion I have had about selling this for a newer Land Cruiser has completely left my soul. I am keeping this car forever.

This was taken after a quick spray down. This thing is eleven+ years old! Wild.

So the Lexus. On my desert camping trip with friends and geode hunting I broke the original windshield. I have been hesitant to replace because it was not in my line of sight and there are horror stories of people getting them replaced and having sheet metal screws in place of the factory rivets cause rust and water intrusion problems.
:siren:not my photos/not my LX:siren:

finding a suitable shop that would do the repair correctly with rivets seemed challenging. Everyone went to "ooooh yeah we don't do rivets - just screws!" :sigh: nobody seemed to care.

I happened to find someone posting in a neighborhood facebook group for suggestions on windshield replacement and someone that lives local runs a shop. I contacted him, expressed my concerns and he said it would be no problem. Gave me the price, ordered the glass AND rivets and was able to provide me with my photographic evidence often requested when people buy 100 series cruisers with replaced windshields

Driving with a brand new windshield has been so nice! While the chinese made glass is not as acoustically quiet (more wind noise) it ultimately is for the better. I get plenty of wind noise already from the roof rack so who cares if I add to it?

Next gripe: the ride quality. After installing the lift and expecting it to ride "good"...it has never been good. It is wildly uncomfortable and crashy unless I have my tires down to 20psi or less. Driving on the road is miserable. I decided to call my buddy at Cruiser Outfitters to see if they had some take-off torsion bars from a standard Land Cruiser. They did! For $150. The Old Man Emu bars are really made for someone with a lot more weight. Something that has a bumper and winch hanging off the very front. I don't see myself doing that on this.

So on Saturday I took to swapping out the bars. I posted all those to my instagram stories for the day. I had fun doing that! If anyone wants to follow along I will post my profile...for here enjoy(?) some screenshots from my videos:

silver OME bar shown. Remove the front mounting bracket on the lower arm.

Check the girth of the bar on the right. That is the OME.

The LC has an adjustment for the pre-load tension. A nerd will know that a springs rate is constant through the range of motion (unless you have a progressive rate spring) so no amount of anything I do would ever change that ride harshness. The stock LC bar however - I just need to crank the pre-load a bit more to give the lift I am after and the rate will remain unchanged from stock.

new(used) bars in!

A terribly lit screenshot from a vertical video showing my efforts after jacking the car up ~10 times to adjust the rake and pre-load from side to side to get the ride height exactly correct.

The report: Oh my gosh I am two years too late on doing this. How and why I submitted to crap ride forever is on me. It is so dramatically improved.
The alignment - I have never been able to really be happy with my alignment. Since doing this...it seems to drive better? and more straight? and doesn't dive/pull to the right when braking like it did with the OME bars. I found a new shop that should be able to pull this into the most perfect alignment and that is scheduled for a week out! So I will post my findings then but fingers crossed I don't have to go through this business ever again.

I was able to organize my garage and got the Bean trailer out of winter slumber/more accessible after months of crap seemed to accumulate around it burying it in place. I was thinking of an outing this weekend but since the alignment isn't going to be done yet I will probably postpone until I can get that done.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That Prado looks so good, and I love the backlit display.

Are you familiar with Cottonwood Heights? I have some friends moving there in a few months so it looks like I'll be visiting Utah more often. Unfortunately it looks like that's 3 hrs from Moab, but I'm assuming there are some cool off-road trips possible near CH since it's at the base of the mountains.

In GX460 news, my wheels that were supposed to arrive late January finally came in, which means I finally stopped being lazy and ordered a Dobinson's MRR lift kit. I spent way too long trying to figure out the correct spring weights due to the added weight of my various accessories, I'm pretty sure I have the right springs but it may end up being a bit of trial and error. I'm not sure how long the Dobinsons will take to ship out, I don't think anything is arriving very fast right now, but hopefully I'll finally be lifted with bronze wheels by the summer (which was my original plan 2.5 years ago when I bought the GX).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Are you familiar with Cottonwood Heights? I have some friends moving there in a few months so it looks like I'll be visiting Utah more often. Unfortunately it looks like that's 3 hrs from Moab, but I'm assuming there are some cool off-road trips possible near CH since it's at the base of the mountains.

In GX460 news, my wheels that were supposed to arrive late January finally came in, which means I finally stopped being lazy and ordered a Dobinson's MRR lift kit. I spent way too long trying to figure out the correct spring weights due to the added weight of my various accessories, I'm pretty sure I have the right springs but it may end up being a bit of trial and error. I'm not sure how long the Dobinsons will take to ship out, I don't think anything is arriving very fast right now, but hopefully I'll finally be lifted with bronze wheels by the summer (which was my original plan 2.5 years ago when I bought the GX).

Yes! Cottonwood Heights is one of the best suburbs to live in the Salt Lake Valley. Beautiful and well established neighborhoods that have always generally been on the upper end of keeping things maintained and nice. Immediate mountain access is not really a thing - tons of hiking close by but offroading not so much. Within an hour there are some great mountain forest roads you can hit. Expand that to two hours of driving will yield some excellent aspen/alpine drives. To the south and probably closest access would be American Fork canyon. To the east beyond Park City and Kamas you have the Mirror Lake Highway (upper Uintas) with miles and miles of forest service roads. Both are open seasonally; generally after Memorial day unless there is a ton of snow (:aslol: that is never happening again :tif:). Some of my postings here have been to both of those spots. I would be happy to give more specific details when you get out here. Just PM me.

There is so much more of Utah to see than just Moab though. Naturally most people gravitate there due to popularity and proximity to the two national parks. In Southern Utah you have Sand Hollow which is getting more popular from Matts Offroad Recovery on YouTube. The real gem is the San Rafael Swell. It is in the middle of Utah a couple of hours before Moab. It is split in half by I-70 and chances are if you have ever looked at desert landscape photography you have seen MANY landmarks. Ken Block ripping a giant roost off of the biggest berm? Seemingly martian colored rounded hills peppering the landscape? Monolithic sandstone formations with sheer rock faces? All in the Swell. The general movement by explorers/natives is to not geotag specific landmarks because they are unfortunately getting loved to death like the rest of the state (Zion/Canyonlands/Arches/Bryce). They are currently publicly accessible and as long as impact doesn't get too out of hand the hope is it will remain that way.

You can sort of see in the Google Map overhead view the "finger" looking branches that go outward are actually massive canyons.

Speaking of...

Last week we finally made it out for the first camping trip of the season! I have been wanting to get to the Swell because it goes from cold, to pleasant, to unbearably hot in a very short period of time. If you miss spring you really have to wait until late Fall to go unless you are just making a day trip/touring about session. Even then it is very hot. We originally had planned to take off to Little Wild Horse canyon. A great part of the desert wtih sheer rock cliffs, slot canyons and great vistas. It is nearby Goblin Valley state park which I have been wanting to take my kids to see. We got out later than anticipated and woudln't arrive until late in the evening. Setting up camp/getting dinner ready would have sucked. We called the audible and decided on finding a spot at a closer place I have not yet explored call the Wedge overlook. It is nicknamed "Little Grand Canyon" because at first glance it looks exactly like that. Some reservation camping spots are available, but a TON of primitive boondocking is available.

Plenty to look at on the drive down.
You can literally park on the edge of the cliff and just camp right there. With small kids we opted to be just on the inside of the road off of the cliff but still had an incredible vista to overlook.

A small sampling of what you see. It is nearly a 270 degree view of this.
We made it before sunset and got set up and made a dinner of pasta. My wife had already cooked some ground beef so it was a simple/quick meal

We stayed two nights.

Our second day we got up and made breakfast and then went on a walk around part of the rim. We drove RC cars, took some pictures and enjoyed the view.

Nearby there are a few interesting sites to drive and checkout. One being a petrified dinosaur footprint! The kids found it neat as did I. The coolest thing was the rock part/pictograph panels. There are apparently a ton scattered through the deserts of Utah and I am sort of obsessed in wanting to go and find more. I cannot really translate how incredible these were to see in person. I took more photos of these than I did of my kids. Beyond the view of the Wedge this was my favorite thing.

appreciation post for the machine that took us there

Linked video showing the MASSIVE sheer rock face one of the panels was on. It was ~200-300 feet high.
https://imgur.com/7oxV1GL

It was an awesome trip with tons of great memories. Like the greybeard who came over to say hello that had a teardrop close by. He has been traveling for a month and was in from the Chicago area. He picks up wood on his hikes and carves. He gave this to my kids and told them it would bring good luck to our camp. We will find some way to display this so we can take it along on our future adventures.

If people want to see more of the pics of the pictograph and rock art I can post more.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 6, 2022

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I had no clue that you could get that close to them - IIRC there are a few here in CA that are very protected, like you cant get close to them at all...

the imagery of that kinda scares me... not kinda, it does.

In other news, my wife was bitten by the camper bug, a friend had a giant motorhome at the drag race this weekend and shes like "we dont need one this big, but we need one"

edit: I'm hoping its just an ancient advertisement for "ghostly looking aliens with wings - a delicious drink, pick it up at your local mud dwelling that the aliens helped you build"

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 24, 2022

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
Love all of this: i should go to Cruiser Outfitters and see what wrenches onto the hiace- there's monomax shocks on there now, but i wonder if the torsion bars are shot.

all your camping photos are motivating me to get the hiace buttoned up and getting out there!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This thread is basically a love letter to Utah I guess and that driving a dumb old dressed up Toyota is a pretty good way to see it all.

Over Memorial Day we went to visit my parents in southern Utah. I made the mistakesmart choice of driving the Lexus doubling my fuel costs in the hopes I could convince the rest of my brood that off roading was a good way to spend some of our time down there.

My plan worked and we spent a day in Snow Canyon state park. My dad came along and we did a couple of little easy hikes. We saw some old graffiti from some pioneer ancestors.

The kids had a great time climbing all around the rocks. Pictured is also what my family endures when we go out.

With a perfect ribbon of blacktop and a lusty background that makes you believe we are living in a simulation I felt impressed to taken an influencer style photograph. Props to my wife who both took this photo and edited it in lightroom all from her phone.

My parents moved south like four years ago. Strangely enough my childhood best friend moved some ~5 miles away from them and recently started diving all in on that Tacoma lifestyle (from a full size extended dodge diesel/5th wheel life). I got him to take me out wheeling since I am not as familiar with the trails out that way. We fueled up and headed out towards Sand Hollow. The same place where a yellow Jeep is rescuing people on the daily you have likely seen on YouTube. We ran a good portion of the "west rim trail lite" up to the Tollbooths. My mother (71 years old) came along which was pretty awesome. She had a great time and was taking videos while we were driving because "nobody would believe I went otherwise". I aired down to 15 psi since the redrock is really unforgiving with all the fins and ledges and I was trying to make it as comfortable as possible for mom. The first tricky obstacle is "the funnel". An obstacle that really tests your approach and departure - and by test I mean scrub the paint off the bottom of your front bumper and drag your hitch receiver really good. It was pretty awesome.
A lot of the driving has similar vibes to Moab and I can see why it is such a popular place to off road. My friend in his tacoma (manual transmission too)

just after the funnel

Once you reach the toll booths there is a nice spread out area. We got out to stretch our legs and let the kids run around for a bit. The sand is so perfectly fine. It is different than beach sand - you just have to feel it to see.

Incredible vistas with St George in the distance
Direct link to an IMGUR video of what is basically a sheer rock cliff.

The toll booths are so tight I had to fold in my mirrors to keep from scrubbing. I don't have any video worthwhile but my friend took a photo for me, but he has not sent it to me yet...

On our way out there were some neat obstacles like this one on another IMGUR video link. It was so much fun. Had we the time to spend all day on the trail/mountain we would have continued on but I had ~280 miles to drive home that day so we opted for a bypass that took us down "Bobsled" which is a deep sandy route that is louge-like with some great banked turns. The sand was soft and we made great time on the way back.

It further cemented my resolution that two things that really bring me a lot of happiness in life is being outside and driving this bloated white whale to get there.

*NEXT POST*
I heard you like KO2's

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

:allears:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

While my posting here has been slipping my adventure times have not! I think that we ended up taking the Bean out 10 times this year. I think i have one more trip to the mountains and then another trip down to south/central desert Utah before the end of the year.

Where I last left off I was 'froadin with my childhood friend. He was nice enough to send me a few photos of his own taking.

"The tollbooths"
Notice I had to fold in my rearview mirror to clear this one.

"The Funnel" which tests your approach/departure. I lost a bit of paint on the chin of my bumper here.

From here it was back to the mountains. My youngest was feeling a little off the day weekend we had planned to go camping. The older two begged me t to take them camping still and my wife was okay to stay home with the sicko. I went to our favorite area that we had been to many times.

Finding one site already occupied I drove down a familiar trail to get us back to the main forest road only to find a downed tree blocking our path. So I had to back the trailer up. It was not easy. I was able to do a multipoint turn with some difficulty.
The spot we found was perfect, and just in time for the sunset

What I learned the next morning was that I ended up catching a tire on a spike from a downed pine tree when doing my backup to get off that trail. This is what I saw when I sat down after cooking breakfast.

My bottle jack easily lifted the trailer and made for a quick tire change.

We spent the day exploring around on foot. We found a bunch of fuzzy caterpillars.

We packed up camp and headed home. It was an excellent trip. The next business day I went to Discount tire only to find out that these tires are discontinued and NLA. The hole was too close to the sidewall to patch. I did the only sensible thing and had them mount a KO2 and put that as my spare. In the next year or two I will replace the other two with KO2's to match.

Here is a quick dump of more photos and things. I have posted a little more detail in the RV thread in The Great Outdoors subforum.

https://i.imgur.com/KpOZKaS.mp4

Some maintenance:

I cleaned the clear PVC windows of the iKamper because they were kind of fogged/dusty and made for a terrible view outside. I went ahead and treated/sprayed the fabric with permethrin and let it dry out for day. The bugs have not been that bad though.

While changing the oil in the Lexus I found the upper radiator hose had a bit of a mushy priapism.

A special order put in at the dealership and a day later I got the replacement.

I was definitely glad to have changed it. This was swapped a day before I had a boys trip planned that involved a long/steep climb through Parley's Canyon.

Definitely the kind of thing that could ruin a day.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sick lookin adventures!

We're 3500 miles into a 7k+ coast to coast to coast roadtrip that I'll probably never actually post pics from but: this country is simply Too Wide

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

New Year New (to me us) LX.

I have not posted for some time but that is largely due to no real meaningful content. Once the weather turns cold here the adventures pretty much stop. I was able to get a camping trip in with my daughter because she always feels ripped off that there is a boys camping trip. We invited our neighbors that we are friends with. So it was a dad + daughters camping trip. Our neighbors spent their first night in a roof tent and my buddy was loving the Bean and started pricing one out while we were out. Not a lot of photos but here is one from the morning.

I was pushing hard for one more family camping trip for the fall weather before the cold blew in. I was unable to convince the family to join in which was a total bummer BUT I did manage to squeeze in one good adventure. This is a place that has been on my "want to explore" list for over a year. Located in the high Uintas there is a sheer cliff face. Primitive camping can be done here and this was mostly a scouting trip to determine how well the Bean would manage the drive as well as approximate drive time.

It is vertigo inducing to be standing on the edge but seriously breathtaking. I was bummed out that we missed peak "fall colors" by probably a week. There were some leaves that were yellow but most had fallen by this point.
Direct link to IMGUR video

I also got a new quadcopter (drone) and this was my first time testing it out. The thing is witchcraft.
Direct link to IMGUR video (large-ish size)
Direct link to IMGUR video

I tested the Active Track feature for like ~10 minutes while we were driving through the forest road. I didn't once have to control it. Just locked on and then drove occasionally looking to make sure it hadn't lost us. This will be a very fun way to capture some of our adventures.

It is seriously mind blowing how far these have come since the days of my first quadcopter ~9 years ago.

So I am fully addicted to whatever you want to call this. Off roading/car camping/adventuring/overlanding. This whole thread is a slow progression in me finding how to do "the thing" more often. Starting first with general accessibility. From there it has been slightly more angled towards making it more comfortable for everyone else so there was less friction and resistance to go out. I have big goals and dreams about this stuff. Tackling further distances and national parks like Glacier or the Redwoods and Yosemite. Pretty ambitious and while I believe in the 470 that it could get us to those places it would be somewhat torturous. I have not wired the brake controller or the 7 pin to charge the house battery. It will begrudgingly trundle along at ~70mph but will consume fuel as quickly as the Exxon Valdez can pour it into the ocean. It is not the most comfortable ride. I needed more power. I needed screens to keep my kids occupied while we venture to the place. I wanted a softer seat/ride for my wife.

The answer is one I have been talking about since Page one of this thread back in 2019

quote:

I wanted a cheaper beater but this truck has a 200 series at the top of future replacement of the Flex for family duty. My wife wants something sportier once we’re through the car seat phase.
I even test drove a couple 200s after I crashed my first 470 and that is what I should have bought at the time but was being too cheap.

Last week I remedied that.

Complete with very Unoffroading tires and wheels

Twenty-two inch abominations

This post is already getting too long and I have more to write BUT - this is Ella, as in Ella the Elephant (because of the size and color). A 2013 LX 570. Purchased locally from a private seller, 130K miles on the clock and quite clean! Paid a fair price. Not a deal, not overpriced but a fair price.

Already have a remedy for the unfortunate rolling stock situation but it will be a 4-6 week timeframe for the fix.

Seventeen inches and bronze

33 Inches white letters out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Very cool!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

white letters out

:hmmyes:

I know you and I have chatted a whole lot already but 200s are so awesome, and the last of that breed as well.
May you use your 200 far more than I use mine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

Very cool!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

This is either a highjack or an echo. Sorry not sorry.

I also have a 100 series.

I bought the worst one in existence.

A Boston truck rusted to gently caress. But "oh I've fixed that".

It was a lesson in sunken cost fallacy. I wasted too much time remediating it when it wasn't what I needed to tow or make events. But it was a wonderful offroad and overlanding truck. The only highlights were the suspension. OME springs with koni raids. She partied and hunted down slow competitors at the races.

Old farts know I did the rally thing. After basically hemorrhaging my net worth and my sanity on racing, plus propping up everyone with a sob story, my dream shop became a nightmare. I hate cars and hate rust and I just want to drink a beer in the field with the dog looking at the horses.

The 100 did all I asked. Racing got to be a pain because of rules. It was death by a thousand cuts. It became a feedback loop of spending money on the chassis flaws and rust. The 100 was supposed to tow things but wasn't ideal for it. The various few years current events had me move towards an organizer roll.

After running all the 1 day events doing sweep and dragging everyone out, we got more stage miles and runs for competitors. I was better as an organizer that way.

Somewhere in the timeline was replacing all the brake lines, the entire fuel system, rebuilding the rear locker, doing a front locker, destroying a deer at 80mph, rebuilding the front end and cooling system, doing the everything. But it is death by a thousand cuts. The frame has to be patched every year. The windshield is cracked and the windshield frame is rusty, this is a massive rabbit hole. After the last mission of towing a dump trailer through a muddy snowy field.... The center diff is stuck on... again....

The 100 is dead. Long live the 100.

SH and I talk plenty and I've been trying to sort out what is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Slow is Fast posted:

SH and I talk plenty and I've been trying to sort out what is next.

A 200 series, clearly.