Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
This is the thread to post anything related to landlords and the landlord-adjacent acting like feudal lords. R.I.P. to the BFC thread (owned...)

https://twitter.com/tonydwagner/status/1148442052851408897

https://twitter.com/heyhayley/status/1148625020870189056?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Noobs: easy pickings on sites like biggerpockets.com, a large forum for landlords and investors. It took only five minutes to get something good!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't forget this one

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Loretta spitting that hot fire tho

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol of course Small Landlord Tyrants would complain about section 8 and other public housing voucher systems because ~its just not on the schedule i want/need~

simultaneously complaining about delinquent tenants and tenants that are guaranteed to pay; its a handout to landlords instead of building and maintaining actual public housing

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't forget this one

I genuinely think that there isn't a jury in the world that would convict you if you murdered this dude when he pulled this poo poo on you

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Yikes!

Should I follow the law? A story in three pictures:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
From the other thread, in which a landlord decides his tenant who got diagnosed with cancer is likely to not be timely with the rent and so wants to kick them out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Landlord/comments/cbyl4v/landlord_usca_advice_for_preemptively_dealing/

quote:

I am loving livid right now so sorry if this isn’t the most articulate post. I own a few properties and one of my tenants in a 1BR is a single man in his 50s. He’s generally reliable with his rent but I know his income situation and I doubt he has substantial savings.

This week, he informed me he has cancer and will need to step away from work. I am not trying to be a bad guy, but this obviously presents some problems for me. This is a tough business and the bottom line is that I cannot have a tenant likely to miss payments.

I gave him two options - leave voluntarily or I will institute a hard, zero tolerance policy and will use everything in my legal arsenal to make sure he is gone. He got attitude with me, words were said and I ended up getting so upset, I punched a wall. But that’s another story.

That’s what brings me here. CA is a bitch as we all know, but I need to get ahead of this. Can anybody please tell me what my options are here? He hasn’t missed a payment for July, but I’m expecting it in August and need to be ready to act. Part of me hopes he does miss the payment so I can start applying pressure without constantly worrying about it, but that said I don’t want to get myself in trouble. Advice?

quote:

He will miss payment. I’m doing some research on whether or not you can evict a tenant for physically assaulting you. If so, I know he doesn’t like me so I may be able to pursue something there.

quote:

Well he hasn’t yet. But things can escalate and if I hypothetically (not saying I will do this) “provoked” him and he struck first, how would I be expected to maintain a lease with someone who is a threat to me?

quote:

He tried to play the “pity” card and I wasn’t having it. He got attitude. I restrained myself but it almost turned out very badly for him (and me). Luckily it didn’t come to that but I need him out and need to know my options.

quote:

I’m kind of new to this but if he were to physically assault me, that would be grounds to terminate the lease, correct?

quote:

Can he break the lease if I were to knock his rear end out? Just kidding of course but if it does come to that, I’d like to at least not expose myself to more risk than necessary.

Also that same guy was in LegalAdvice a couple months ago trying to figure out how to pressure his housekeeper into signing an unenforceable non-compete where she has to agree that she won't work for his neighbors because he'd be humiliated if they "poached" her (his words) and wanted to threaten her with ICE and whatnot if she refused.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jul 11, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm SO ANGRY that I have to maintain the property!! There's nothing wrong with the contractors I use despite the house being absolutely riddled with electrical issues!!!

quote:

This morning the tenant contacted me and told me they're still having issues and that the electrician didn't fix everything and that he didn't show up when he said he would. I told them it's their responsibility to make sure all the issues are addressed with the electrician before he leaves to prevent consistent visits over the same problems and to follow up with him if he didn't make the visit.

Cool bro it doesn't matter what you said it's still on you to get the poo poo fixed.

What do the other landlords think?

I see. "lol just ignore them."

e: \/\/ heh sorry

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

e: beaten to the punch smh

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzgj6pH0Aq0

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
https://www.wired.com/story/how-9-people-built-illegal-5m-airbnb-empire-new-york/

Choice quotes

quote:

Before the building was partially shuttered by the city of New York in May for being, among other things, “imminently perilous” to people or property, more than 2,600 guests had booked a stay in the townhouse through Airbnb for a total of 2,268 nights, earning its host over $210,000, according to Airbnb data released by the city.

The host is part of a sprawling network that city officials say illegally converted residential units in 36 buildings—many of which were low-cost or rent-stabilized—in Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan into full-time short-term rentals, available primarily through Airbnb. From 2015 to 2019, the alleged scheme earned more than $5 million in revenue through Airbnb for booking 24,330 rooms and housing 63,873 guests in what the city describes as dangerous and unsanitary conditions.

quote:

The city says Tominovic and others coached guests to mislead enforcement agents tasked with finding short-term rentals. In reviews included in the lawsuit, guests who stayed in listings associated with the scheme noted that the host had instructed them to lie to housing inspectors if confronted and say they were staying with a friend. Multiple guests noted in reviews that they had been told to ignore authorities banging on the door or window.

“During our stay, there was knocking on the door periodically from 1 am until 8 am, and, since we had been instructed to not answer the door under any circumstances, we were left to an incredibly unrestful sleep,” wrote one guest at an apartment on West 136th Street. “[The host] is putting people in a very uncomfortable and rather questionable situation in this apartment and I would not recommend.”

quote:

By the time a guest disobeyed the sign, things had gotten dire. On May 3, inspectors from the city building department and the Office of Special Enforcement found three guests from South Carolina accidentally locked into their room on the first floor, trapping them in the building; the inspectors also found two guests from Brooklyn and two guests from Singapore in different rooms on the second floor—all of whom had booked stays through Airbnb—according to affidavits filed by the inspectors.

quote:

The inspectors smelled gas and called the fire department, which found a gas leak, according to inspectors’ affidavits. The commissioner of the building department ordered the second floor vacated after a review determined that the conditions described in the inspectors’ report were “imminently perilous to life, public safety or the safety of the occupants or danger to property,” according to court documents. The illegally constructed extra rooms lacked required exits, sprinklers, and fire alarms, “rendering apartment unsafe to occupy,” the documents say.

quote:

The account is marked as “verified,” ostensibly a sign that Airbnb checked his name and information against some form of government ID. But listing, host, and transaction data provided by Airbnb suggests that Bloz Rajkovic, the Airbnb host, might not exist.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Airbnb, like all tech companies really, is dropping the ball hard. Probably just because hey more money for them.

Sorry but if you can't tell me they can't figure out that an address that only has X rooms is getting 10X listings.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

https://www.wkrn.com/news/guess-whos-moving-you-memphis-landlords-eviction-notice-to-tenant-goes-viral/

quote:

“It’s antagonizing,” Deadrick Flemming said. “I feel like it’s kind of embarrassing. It’s a shameful situation for someone that is trying their best to make ends meet.

According to WREG, many people living at the complex refuse to pay rent because the property management refuses to make repairs.

“They are quick to put you out and slow to fix stuff,” one resident who wished to remain anonymous said.

Chasity Blackburn, senior director at the Bent Tree complex, denies that repairs have gone unaddressed.

“If they call us, the typical turnaround time is four days,” she said of non-emergency work orders. Blackburn explained that although the landlord’s approach in this particular eviction notice may spark controversy, but the process itself is standard for the market. If rent isn’t paid by the 15th of the month, it is sent over to evictions.

“She does anything and everything she can to collect the money,” Blackburn said.

Woof Blitzer has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Jul 11, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
love that logic of unpaid rent is an expense; opportunity cost!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MY DOLLARS

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DEADBEATS AND FREELOADERS AAAARGHHHHH

btw how can I avoid any/all expenses on the upkeep for my properties while jacking up the price as high as it can go, asking for a friend

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my dad rents out the house that his mother left to him when she died to a couple. he tries very hard not to be a lovely landlord. i think he's either taking care of mold issue they found this weekend, or he's just cutting them a check if they want to fix it themselves.

thanks for listening

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
Never thought I’d see a thread that makes me more mad than the cop thread, at least they work hard for their money by shooting minorities and harassing poor people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my rent went from 800 to 1125 last year, and they put me on a 10 month lease that renews on sept 1, peak of the rentbubble season

I'm excited to see how hard they gently caress me this round

(this is denver)

if they go past 1300, i'm just going to move out to a small town in norcal, as i can wfh wherever i get broadband and if i'm going to be paying cali tier rents for a shack, i might as well get a shack in cali amongst the redwoods

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

drjuggalo posted:

Never thought I’d see a thread that makes me more mad than the cop thread, at least they work hard for their money by shooting minorities and harassing poor people

I will be scouting the web-zones for content every day so get ready pal

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I needed that rage ulcer, thanks thread.

Are we allowed to guillotine in this thread, or will it make SA landlords feel sad and oppressed again?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Biggerpockets, Finance, and Careers

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask/Tell > Biggerpockets, Finance, and Careers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Moridin920 posted:

From the other thread, in which a landlord decides his tenant who got diagnosed with cancer is likely to not be timely with the rent and so wants to kick them out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Landlord/comments/cbyl4v/landlord_usca_advice_for_preemptively_dealing/

Also that same guy was in LegalAdvice a couple months ago trying to figure out how to pressure his housekeeper into signing an unenforceable non-compete where she has to agree that she won't work for his neighbors because he'd be humiliated if they "poached" her (his words) and wanted to threaten her with ICE and whatnot if she refused.

jesus christ lol

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

I'm technically homeless rn because my dickhole landlord successfully blamed me for his neglect :stoked:

I'm ok bc I still have my job and a place to crash while looking for a new place but still, gotta guillotine em all :thermidor::thermidor::thermidor:

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
i hate the landlords. i will hate them as long as i live

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

More to do with service and emotional support animals being used to 'get around' no pet rules:

V. appropriate slavery comparison, there.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 13:37 on Jul 12, 2019

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Big Dick Cheney posted:

i hate the landlords. i will hate them as long as i live

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Nastier Nate posted:

my dad rents out the house that his mother left to him when she died to a couple. he tries very hard not to be a lovely landlord. i think he's either taking care of mold issue they found this weekend, or he's just cutting them a check if they want to fix it themselves.

thanks for listening

Tell your dad that unless he lives there, to save his soul he needs to sell the house to its occupants and get out of the rent seeking game. No matter how good a landlord he tries to be, he'll still be a freeloading parasite keeping someone from owning their own home.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1149668573805068289?s=20

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"the concept of the state providing everything for you except you pay 1200 a month for it"

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

This guys never been to a communist built apartment block. They're a lot nicer than that, and always in a walkable neighbourhood to boot.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I don't have any specific landlord horror stories (maybe when they didn't give us 24 hours notice because they needed to do work in the ceiling of our bathroom because of a leak on the floor above, but it turned out it wasn't our apartment they needed entry to), but ours is awful enough.

gently caress 'em.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Charging people 1200 dollars for shared housing and food seems like a great way to bring solidarity back to the masses and get them to wonder why they have to pay for such a thing and seek solution in this newest start up Angled Piece of Metal Dropped from on High. (Working Title)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

IAMKOREA posted:

This guys never been to a communist built apartment block. They're a lot nicer than that, and always in a walkable neighbourhood to boot.

he's clearly talking about hypernormalisation in the tweet. i posted it because ffs that video

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mao managed to disrupt the landlord class.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

wheres the lie though

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Jose posted:

he's clearly talking about hypernormalisation in the tweet. i posted it because ffs that video

Oh the video is loving insane. Just wanted to defend communist apartment blocks. I'm literally posting from one right now. All the lies they feed us in America about living conditions under communism drive me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

I'm not saying that I want to see websites hacked and users doxxed, but if I had to choose a site for it to happen to, it'd be this one.