Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/Lisa_Keegan/status/1148772643807514624

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Tell your dad that unless he lives there, to save his soul he needs to sell the house to its occupants and get out of the rent seeking game. No matter how good a landlord he tries to be, he'll still be a freeloading parasite keeping someone from owning their own home.

While I don't dispute the general accuracy of your comment, the exception is in this case the couple he's renting it too clearly has no interest in buying that house as they are only here temporarily as part of his job, and they'll probably go back to Ohio after the lease is up or maybe the year after.

tbf, a lot of that could be alleviated if we had decent mass transit and all the money wasn't super-concentrated in a few urban areas so you wouldn't have 2 million people trying to shove themselves into a space half the size of disney world

The Nastier Nate has issued a correction as of 15:46 on Jul 12, 2019

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Junior and Senior year of college I had an apartment about 2 miles away from campus. Rent started at 400 a month, jumped to 450 by the end. It was a studio apartment.

My landlord was completely invisible for the entire thing, but for the most part repairs were done within 24 hours of requesting them. Until the roach problem.

I woke up around 3 am one day and looked over at the kitchen. Silhouetted in the moonlight were at least 5 cockroaches, sitting on the counter, antennae squirming around as they crawled all over my sink. I ran out of bed and turned the light on to see where they ran - through a basically invisible crack in the wall that was up against the neighboring apartment. I covered it up as best I could, fell asleep, and called my landlord in the morning.

It took 4 days for him to admit there was a problem, since his first question was "Did you leave food out? That's your fault, then." Nope, come check out my apartment and see for yourself. He did, even used a loving UV light, but found nothing. I was too freaking poor to leave food out, that stuff had to be hoarded and kept safe. I showed him the crack, which he got someone to fix after a few days. He was convinced the problem was fixed, but I told him that he should check the apartment next to mine, which was vacant. He claimed he would, blah blah blah.

A few days later, I'm taking a shower at night, step out, and see multiple roaches scurrying around the bathroom floor. I open the medicine cabinet - roaches coming in from behind it, there's a tiny hole that the cabinet was just kind of hung over. Again, this is the same wall that touches that neighboring apartment. He fixes that hole after telling me that "it's probably some shampoo or soap they're attracted to", still claims he checked out the other room and it was clean.

At this point I'm pretty pissed and worried about ending up in the final segment of Creepshow, so I do some work on my own. I wait in the hall for a few hours one day, and a repair guy comes in. I tell him he's supposed to check out that vacant room, and he believes me and unlocks the room. It smells rotten immediately, and there are probably thousands of dead roaches all over the floor, counters, etc. I take some pictures and call my landlord to check it out. He finally agrees to fumigate the whole building at this point, but refuses to tell me or the repair guy what the hell was going on in that room. My guess is a previous tenant led to a bug problem and he just decided to seal the room up and hope it took care of itself.

I graduated about 4 months later and moved back home with my parents.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
This thread reminded me of my first landlord, back in 1996-ish when I was a college student & thought it was a pretty sweet deal at $275 for a large 1-bedroom. Landlord was a handyman type who bought up old buildings, fixed them himself, and then rented them out cheap. He allowed pets & wasn't an rear end in a top hat if you were late on rent.

I was thinking "compared to some of these guys, my landlord wasn't so bad" and then I remembered that the entire ~700-square-foot apartment was "heated" by an ancient gas furnace in the central hallway. There were no radiators or vents - it was effectively a large wall-mounted space heater. This was Oklahoma, so you could kinda-sorta get away without central heating, but it does get well below freezing in the winter.

I ended up hanging sheets in the doorways (there were no doors!) to limit the warm air to just the living room. The whole apartment smelled like gas all the time and I slept in multiple layers of clothes under a pile of six blankets in the living room. I could see my breath in the air and I stopped putting Coke in the fridge because it was cold enough if I just left it on the floor in the kitchen.

The landlord didn't think this was a problem. Old buildings, what can you do, right?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Imagine reading this thread and still believing pacifism is a legitimate ideology

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't forget this one

This guy needs to die

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woozy posted:

wheres the lie though

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Also it's wrong bc tenant's unions are becoming a thing.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Jul 12, 2019

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

When I lived in a lovely 3 bedroom built in 1890 with two other roommates we caught the landlord's son stealing our electricity charging his car battery with an external wall outlet somehow. We kept turning it off when we found it and he yelled at one of my roommates.

We also had hundreds of spiders and centipedes that came from the basement, which had a tree trunk and roots growing out of it. The landlord refused to do anything about it.

They decided to store a rotting boat dock in the yard, and when grass and weeds grew up around it since I couldn't mow underneath its heavy rear end frame obviously, we almost got a 500 dollar fine from the city. Also as the tenants we were somehow blamed for the ugly thing sitting in the middle of the yard

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
My renter's story is mild compared to some since the last apartment I had was pretty nice and the landlord maintained it (likely as his daughter lived in the downstairs unit, but whatever). He was still an rear end in a top hat though. Once the furnace broke in the dead of a Boston* winter and he tried to get me to tell the gas company I smelled a leak so they'd come fix it and he'd not have to hire anyone, and he stiffed us on our security deposit on the way out, the hell with that jackass.

*well, Somerville, but close enough.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
My property manager (my actual landlord doesn't exist and hides behind them) got salty at me this week for threatening to take them to the Ontario tenant board for not fixing our leaky pipes that pools water all over the basement after running the washing machine.

They explained that they had a contractor investigating it every other day and legal action probably wouldn't speed anything up or be viable.

That's interesting, because I've never seen them, and they ignored my last three emails about it over the last two months.

Worst case scenario, they're lying to me. Best case scenario, they actually are working on it but are confused by the concept that tenants who don't get any feedback whatsoever when they report the same problem multiple times might assume that you're not doing jack poo poo. Either way they're an idiot.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

IAMKOREA posted:

This guys never been to a communist built apartment block. They're a lot nicer than that, and always in a walkable neighbourhood to boot.

a communist apartment is superior to this because you can gently caress in it and have some privacy

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The biggest criticism I could think to level at any of the blocks in Bulgaria I've seen is "no elevator" but considering the year they were built that's not really a fair complaint.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm lazy so I'm just going to quote a post I made in guillotine.txt

DoubleDonut posted:

Hello! I work for the court in North Carolina, and I would like to share some things that landlords have done or said. All of these are things that landlords have either directly testified to in court or verbally admitted to in casual conversation with me.

• Poured bleach into his tenants' well to force them to move out.
  • Under oath, said "if I'd known intimidation would've worked [to get the tenants to move out], I would've done it a long time ago."
  • Let themselves into a tenant's apartment with a copy of the key and rifled through the family's clothes drawers, including their teenage daughter's.
  • Gave a tenant rent credit if she would "be his girlfriend" for a while. (They had an age difference of around 50 years.)
  • Tried to evict a tenant for letting their apartment get infested with roaches; the tenant replied that this was because an apartment downstairs had been abandoned for months and was infested the whole time. When asked if this was true, landlord responded "Yeah, probably."
  • Agreed to run a tenant's car for a few minutes every week or so for maintenance while the tenant was out of town for 9 months (note: tenant was paying rent this entire time). Landlord then used the car for his job, which involved refilling vending machines at grocery stores around the state, and put over 100,000 miles on it in under a year.
  • Threatened a tenant at gunpoint to collect rent that was a few days late.
  • Evicted a tenant (through normal legal procedure), then before having them removed, signed a new agreement with them (with a signed receipt). Then had law enforcement forcibly remove the tenant on the basis of the first agreement.
  • Allowed tenants to unknowingly rent and live in a residence that the state health department had explicitly said was not suitable for habitation.
  • Countless examples of illegally shutting off tenants' power and/or water in the summer.

Who wants to guess how many of these landlords faced criminal charges for their actions?

I should also add: a ton of landlords who get extremely angry when they lose eviction cases because they did not follow the (extremely simple) procedure for eviction. I also forgot another good one, which was when a landlord tried to evict a tenant for criminal activity; the tenant in question was the victim of domestic violence. She had not been charged with any crime and the defendant (in the domestic violence case) had already been restricted from the property.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

if you want to act like a bloodthirsty ghoul, you probably shouldn't post you face and name along with it. if I wanted to be a naughty boy I could could leave this lady a voicemail right now telling her exactly what I think of her.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

angryrobots posted:

I never wanted to be a landlord.

In 2012 we tried to sell my wife's old house, market was still poo poo, were unsuccessful. Rented it to someone who subletted to some of their family without our knowledge. We found this out after the rent stopped being paid, did the whole eviction thing and had to clean two truck and trailer loads of poo poo out of the property. Also had ~$5k in damages. Took the original renters to small claims court and "won" but never saw a dime (claimed loss on taxes tho iirc).

So this is now 2014 and we're planning to renovate and put it on the market again, I'm at the house working. Get a knock on the door, it's this guy and his preg wife and kid, who really really wants to rent and eventually buy the property. I take this with a grain of salt, but we're not really in a financial position to be funding a reno, so we're amicable to this.

4 years into a 2 year lease-to-own, they're still not in a position to get a mortgage loan apparently, thinks that he can pressure me into a new contract (what?). Of course now he claims the real reason is that our contact agreed upon price of $65k (expired btw but I'm still going to honor both the buy price and the monthly portion that accrued toward closing costs, even past the end of lease, if it will get the drat thing gone) is too high and he's just not going to pay that, it's not worth it.

I disagree with this and give them 3 months to get moved out. I make it very clear that if they want the refundable portion of their deposit back, don't leave any crap I have to haul off. Of course all this is too much - it takes two weeks past the move out date for him to get out, and it's still not everything. I haul off a full truck load of junk, including literally burned up car batteries (wtf) that the county recycling center gave me a lot of trouble about.

Anyhow so he was mad about not getting the deposit back. We immediately started on a full remodel, doing most of it ourselves. It was a very painful process and not cheap, but 8 months later we put the house on the market for just over $95k, and got a full price offer within a week.

gently caress renters. Humanity was a mistake, generally. :thermidor:

Also, I stopped by on the move out date and there was a dog. A week later I came back, no dog but a dog sized dirt mound in the back yard. I'm p sure he offed and buried the poor thing, probably because when you've procrastinated until the very last second it's difficult to find a place in your budget that allows dogs. :(

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

uber_stoat posted:

if you want to act like a bloodthirsty ghoul, you probably shouldn't post you face and name along with it. if I wanted to be a naughty boy I could could leave this lady a voicemail right now telling her exactly what I think of her.

Never ceases to amaze me what people will put online with their full name attached.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Tashilicious posted:

"the concept of the state providing everything for you except you pay 1200 a month for it"

I thought this was a joke quote :wtc:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zenithe posted:

I thought this was a joke quote :wtc:

our whole society is a joke.

just start killing capitalists and business owners hth.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Nastier Nate posted:

While I don't dispute the general accuracy of your comment, the exception is in this case the couple he's renting it too clearly has no interest in buying that house as they are only here temporarily as part of his job, and they'll probably go back to Ohio after the lease is up or maybe the year after.

Sounds like a good time to sell it after they leave!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Once my wife and I got a $6,000 bill after moving out of an apartment that we'd lived in for 8 or 9 years after our lease was up. Charges included: recarpeting (3 years past due for an entitled one per the contract), 6 months unpaid rent + early contract violation (just whole cloth fabrication), and various other maintenance charges that weren't our responsibility to upkeep and had experienced as a decade or normal wear and tear.

Took like 4 years to get it cleaned up with credit agencies.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i feel like in california it's against the law to charge people for re-carpeting at least

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's some prorating thing going on in CA yeah. My landlord takes something like 15% off the cost of a full recarpet per year that you're there and I can't imagine they'd do that just to be nice.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

I think there's some prorating thing going on in CA yeah. My landlord takes something like 15% off the cost of a full recarpet per year that you're there and I can't imagine they'd do that just to be nice.
iirc they cant take away your deposit for carpet cleaning and repainting after like a year or something. after 10 years its presumed a carpet shjould be replaced and recarpetting cant come from tenants or something.

basically landlords cant charge you for normal wear and tear. i.e. presume the condition they moved in should be restored to the condition they moved out. like no charging some paint and carpet-cleaning or replacement work because that's normal wear and tear.

that said, if you spill paint or burn the carpet in a satanic ritual and poo poo, they can bill you for that because thats incompetent negligence and not wear and tear. but just like, 'hey its kinda dirty and worn down' is not allowed to be charged for or after 10 years a full replacement cant be charged for. like repainting dirty/scratched paint cannot be taken out of your deposit, but if you punch a big ol' hole in the wall they can charge you to fix that because you were a dumbass and cant control your temper

Xaris has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Jul 12, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Seems like if you're to the point of just fabricating unpaid rent and early termination of a non existent contract the legality of charging someone for recarpeting isn't really the issue.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My apartment took on some water this week from flooding, but not from the outside, from the ground up. Holes in the concrete flooring just started leaking water. So my landlord put wine corks in them. And then the water drained out really fast when the rain stopped, and he didn't seem to buy my logic that it must have drained through the corks. The place got loving full of roaches fleeing the flooding.

He's a nice guy, but he didn't put a dime into the place between the last tenant and me, and he hasn't put any money into it in the two years I've lived there.

Time to start looking for a new place, I guess. I just got a raise, maybe I can afford a whole home.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
My first non-college apartment, when I was moving out the company that owned the place told me "Don't worry about the exit walkthrough. We'll take care of it." And their version of taking care of it was charging me $800 for new carpet and not even billing me, just selling it right to collections.

Like, 6 years later I had to pay the debt collectors because I got to a city where people gave a gently caress about something like that on your record, and no one would rent to me.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
My college apartment kept mailing me notices for rent even though I had moved out months prior. They had the keys and I had a copy of the signed move-out agreement and everything. Thankfully I eventually got them off my back but it was loving ridiculous, they had other renters in the same unit during the time i was supposedly occupying the unit.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Some random ones from the r/realestateinvesting or whatever the gently caress it was, I forget

The spectre of rent control...

Injury? Hospital bills? Fuk u!

Profit Before People

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

san francisco is about to be the second city in the country where you're guaranteed an attorney in eviction court :toot:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The actual data on rent control doesn't show it to be some killer of housing that landlords constantly decry it as. Not that this should really surprise anyone itt.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

they’re paying you money, you’re getting income from them, they literally are paying for those things

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My jaw hit the loving floor with this one. Your loving tenant should pitch in extra money for you not maintaining the roof as agreed per the typical landlord agreement? And they should be paying your loving failson's college tuition and your margaritas?

:killing:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
work at a storage facility, the roof leaks all over the place and has damaged belongings in multiple units, it’s rodent infested, and it’s going to be sold within the next year and the buyers are probably going to send eviction notices as soon as possible to our clientele, a good amount of whom are poor people and homeless (and a good number of those are people who’ve been able to take advantage of purchasing space from the only place in town that will provides a small to mid sized locker for $20-$80 a month). the owner is as happy as ever and adamantly tries to sell spaces and upsell potential customers whenever possible.

yes I am an alcoholic

Dr. Killjoy has issued a correction as of 05:58 on Jul 13, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Landlords are a class of people with quite a bit more money than sense, which should be seen as a business opportunity. If anyone signed up for the biggerpockets site and flooded it with links to scams that target property managers they'd probably make a killing. Do they have any kind of a vetting process at all for new accounts? Any anti-spam measures at all?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Landlords are a class of people with quite a bit more money than sense, which should be seen as a business opportunity. If anyone signed up for the biggerpockets site and flooded it with links to scams that target property managers they'd probably make a killing. Do they have any kind of a vetting process at all for new accounts? Any anti-spam measures at all?

i got banned a couple days ago as soon as i made an account. it mighta been because i used a spam email though. or because i said my name was "Cromulous Frent"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Asbestos? In my rental? How dare they want it fixed.

quote:

TL;DR tenant found asbestos, and won't feel safe until I go to extraordinary lengths and expense to prove the house is safe. I am not going to play this ridiculous game. Asbestos abatement for things that don't lawfully need to be removed is going to be ridiculously expensive. I was told it might cost $20k
House was built in 1966, so a bunch of things were made with asbestos. There was vinyl asbestos tile that was loosely bonded to the concrete, which came up easily in one piece. There was also that black mastic cutback that has asbestos, but the mastic was untouched and not chipping, nor was it sanded or removed.
Nothing was done to reasonably create airborne asbestos.
Tenants ordered their own asbestos test; inspector came out and sampled a bunch of stuff that contained asbestos, which are intact and not illegal to have. Most of the asbestos objects are in the attic. Such as...
-Furnace vent to the roof.
-A few abandoned air ducts left in the attic, not attached to anything.
-central air register to the room- on the attic side, the sheet metal is wrapped in some kind of joint compound white stuff. On the room side, it's sheet metal. So I don't see how asbestos can leak through there.

-They even sampled undisturbed popcorn ceiling. They wasted their money testing something which most likely would have a little asbestos.
Just because something is made of asbestos doesn't mean you have to remove it, particularly if it's still intact, like a vent that blows outward.
According to the inspector, all these things have a fraction of a fraction of a percent of releasing an asbestos fiber and somehow getting into the interior of the house.
After looking at the report, tenants freaked out, and do not feel safe living in the house. They are temporarily staying elsewhere.
They won't feel safe until I spend thousands of dollars to come up with some official report that the house is clean enough to live in.
July 1 is when rent is due, and I told them they don't have to pay it.
But I want them out, and I don't know on what grounds I can terminate the lease.
There's nothing in the contract that says an asbestos home is uninhabitable, otherwise I'd kick the tenants out on those grounds.

It's clearly the tenants fault:

quote:

Wait a minute... Your tenants did an asbestos test on your property?
An asbestos test is destructive. The inspector had to cut out and remove pieces of your property and mutilate pieces of your building materials to take them to a lab. Surely you have something in the lease about destruction of property.
The inspector never should have done that job without verifying that they owned the property and had the authority to order it.
Did they give you the report? Make sure that no holes were cut in the roof that will cause leaks. Please keep up posted on how this turns out.
Geordy Rostad, Real Estate Agent

gently caress those tenants! Find someone that doesn't care about getting cancer!

quote:

Dennis M.
Rental Property Investor from Erie, pa replied 13 days ago
I would be furious at this point
I would not remediate anything
I would tell them to pound salt
I would find a way to get rid of these tenants

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

I love him using the word "mutilate" referring to his loving BUILDING while criticizing people who don't want to live in an asbestos-ridden shithole

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

My renter's story is mild compared to some since the last apartment I had was pretty nice and the landlord maintained it (likely as his daughter lived in the downstairs unit, but whatever). He was still an rear end in a top hat though. Once the furnace broke in the dead of a Boston* winter and he tried to get me to tell the gas company I smelled a leak so they'd come fix it and he'd not have to hire anyone, and he stiffed us on our security deposit on the way out, the hell with that jackass.

*well, Somerville, but close enough.

even the best landlords in the world just can't resist seizing the security deposit, i have never gotten more than 50% back

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
reading this thread is really bad for my health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have received 100% back once, from the last apartment I had

I just assumed it was an error on their part; I had a friend that lived in that same complex and got nothing back