Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i am having an extremely difficult time not going and finding personal information on these people for dissemination

thanks thread i'm about to have an aneurysm and die of rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
A Real Proud American

quote:

Paul Pontanello
posted 1 day ago
Hey everybody. Paul P. here, first time poster.

I have several properties in the Miami area. The majority of them are rental homes for year round citizens (no illegals, I’m a real proud American - although I LOVE my Italian heritage). To make a long story short, I’m looking to turn one of my properties into a personal sausage factory/curing chamber. I go through about two pounds of raw sausage a day and almost as much cappy (just on the weekends, however). I’m not looking to make this a commercial venture, just for my own personal consumption. My fat wife might eat it too. I would save hundreds of dollars a year.

The problem is that all of my properties have tenants. How could I swiftly and legally evict them from a property of mine, even if I have no legitimate reason other than my need to save money on my diet? I would prefer to do this to a single occupant, but I will evict a family if need be.

Possible homemade Italian sausage for anyone local that can help me solve this issue.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

RBC posted:

quote:

There was vinyl asbestos tile that was loosely bonded to the concrete, which came up easily in one piece.
so did the landlord originally try to dispose of the asbestos? re: costs the bulk of an asbestos test is getting an inspection done, per-sample costs aren't noteworthy

in an ideal world it'd all be removed, but encapsulating, or labelling it and inspecting periodically for deterioration is also a strategy. lol at claiming it's an invasive and destructive survey

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

so did the landlord originally try to dispose of the asbestos? re: costs the bulk of an asbestos test is getting an inspection done, per-sample costs aren't noteworthy

in an ideal world it'd all be removed, but encapsulating, or labelling it and inspecting periodically for deterioration is also a strategy. lol at claiming it's an invasive and destructive survey
[/quote]

Probably knew there was asbestos there before they bought the place, got it for cheap, did nothing about it, didn't disclose it, and is now whining about remidiation costs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

RBC posted:

A Real Proud American

reduce cashflow by thousands / year to save hundreds / year

such a great hard-nosed capitalism idea

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RBC posted:

A Real Proud American

https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/683045611600502785

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

lancemantis posted:

i feel like in california it's against the law to charge people for re-carpeting at least

carpet are supposed to depreciate, and the rate varies. in philadelphia, carpets are considered fully depreciated at five years iirc.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Fools and their money are easily parted. Times like these are when the left should learn how to do scams of our own. Here there is discovered a board of fascists where they're all trusting enough to say this poo poo out loud, with presumably limited moderation resources. If you're clever enough to blend in, you could make some cash and take some away from them.

Here, have a thread of common scams. The left could learn a thing or two and repurpose.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765300

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

A Real Proud American

Thinking of the sopranos when they go to Italy and none of them can really speak Italian, they don’t really know the customs, and none of their colloquialisms are really recognizable — they’re just another American idiot tourist

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

By the way he describes how the vinyl asbestos tile 'came up in once piece' it sounds like he did at least some illegal abatement, and probably threw the asbestos out in the regular garbage.

Asbestos danger is pretty misunderstood, and generally asbestos somewhere that you won't disturb it isn't any hazard. It's when the matrix containing the asbestos breaks down that fibers can get airborne and you have a serious problem. Popcorn ceilings are not an ideal place to have asbestos, as the plaster can be disturbed by any heavy banging from upstairs, and textured plaster doesn't tend to age great over 40-60 years. Furnace vent was probably amosite and probably very friable and while yeah it's probably not in a place that poses an immediate danger, if the attic is part of the space they're renting then there is a definite hazard there, along with whatever abandoned ductwork the landlord admits is wrapped in asbestos up there.

Like the house is probably safe to live in but also I can't fault the renters for not being cool with 'probably safe' and wanting some air sampling done at the very least.

source: I am a licensed Asbestos Worker.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
The house I grew up in was covered in asbestos siding tiles and probably had it in various spots in the walls

My school also had a ton of asbestos tiles

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RBC posted:

A Real Proud American

:catstare:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

grah posted:

By the way he describes how the vinyl asbestos tile 'came up in once piece' it sounds like he did at least some illegal abatement, and probably threw the asbestos out in the regular garbage.

Asbestos danger is pretty misunderstood, and generally asbestos somewhere that you won't disturb it isn't any hazard. It's when the matrix containing the asbestos breaks down that fibers can get airborne and you have a serious problem. Popcorn ceilings are not an ideal place to have asbestos, as the plaster can be disturbed by any heavy banging from upstairs, and textured plaster doesn't tend to age great over 40-60 years. Furnace vent was probably amosite and probably very friable and while yeah it's probably not in a place that poses an immediate danger, if the attic is part of the space they're renting then there is a definite hazard there, along with whatever abandoned ductwork the landlord admits is wrapped in asbestos up there.

Like the house is probably safe to live in but also I can't fault the renters for not being cool with 'probably safe' and wanting some air sampling done at the very least.

source: I am a licensed Asbestos Worker.
ya it's misunderstood, but its better than the alternative of people not taking it seriously. i've only really seen amosite confirmations in chimneys, but that could be down to uk differences or sampling bias. lab results are none or chryostile for almost everything i'm aware of

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya it's misunderstood, but its better than the alternative of people not taking it seriously. i've only really seen amosite confirmations in chimneys, but that could be down to uk differences or sampling bias. lab results are none or chryostile for almost everything i'm aware of

In the US we usually find amosite on boilers and furnaces, chrysotile just about everywhere else. I've never seen crocidolite but supposedly it exists somewhere.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The landlord in the asbestos case should have paid to have the asbestos around the ductwork removed/abated, it would be cheap and it would do wonders for the tenant's worries. The tiles should just be covered up with a different kind of flooring, pulling them up will get the asbestos airborne as the glue probably had asbestos in it too. As long as the ceiling is painted with a new latex/water based paint the asbestos danger is right around 0.

In some places it's absolutely impossible to get a house that's asbestos free and remediation is insanely expensive. Pretty much everything built up until 1990 in Canada has asbestos somewhere, but as long as you don't gently caress with it too much it's fine. It's possible to do abatement at home, on your own, for cheap if you're comfortable making a loving huge mess and tearing a house down to the studs.

His reaction to the tenant's concerns is ridiculous, though. Should have covered the cost of testing and had an actual knowledgeable tradesperson talk to the tenants and reassure them, or let them break the lease if they're 100% not on board with a house that has any asbestos. But LOL at being reasonable.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/literallymagic/status/1150048834980069377?s=21

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBC posted:

A Real Proud American

I read this whole post in the NYC Guido Twitter parody voice.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jazerus posted:

even the best landlords in the world just can't resist seizing the security deposit, i have never gotten more than 50% back

My friend had a couple grand security deposit stolen , with an email from the landlord telling her it wasn't for repairs, and she still hasn't been able to get it back with one of the only experienced attorneys in Chicago helping her. It's completely insane that security deposits aren't straight up escrowed and landlords are given control over them

Also there's a secret in the Chicago rental code that says every bank that forecloses on a landlord then evicts the tenant has to pay the security deposit and no one, absolutely no one , has ever seen that enforced. The tenants rights lawyers know about it but we'd settle every time without that being brought up since they knew it wasn't something the bank would negotiate on

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's honestly a shame a ton of people aren't squatting in really nice Airbnb apartments and refusing to move out without court proceedings. There were some articles about one guy doing this a few years back but it's really uncommon which is weird since all you need is to put up the money for one nights stay and then you can live there for a few months. Seems like people in San Fran should be doing this nonstop

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Imagine airbnb bans you afterwards

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ya its a good thing airbnb vets anyone involved

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just make a new account it's not like they vet landlords using fake identities

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Its the same way how SA banned spammers, they got a credit card

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

yeah nothing makes me angrier than people who are inconsiderate enough to get cancer

edit: on damage deposits... we've only ever recovered our damage deposit once, and even then it was a fight and I think she only gave up because she was new at the whole landlord thing and hadn't grown that "don't give a poo poo" second skin yet. So we now consider damage deposits to be just the cost of doing business and give absolutely zero shits about dinging walls or skipping out on a lease if we just wanna go. Oh, you're gonna keep my damage deposit for breaking my lease? Well you were going to keep it anyway sooooooo sayonara. Thankfully I live in an area that doesn't have renter blacklists and faking a reference is dead easy.

Tinestram has issued a correction as of 22:15 on Jul 13, 2019

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Its the same way how SA banned spammers, they got a credit card

yeah wouldnt they just max out your credit card for every night you stay

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

RBC posted:

yeah wouldnt they just max out your credit card for every night you stay

I mean, after the initial charge you can just close your account, or use a card with a very low credit limit. I mean this is all obviously illegal and I do not and can not recommend it to anyone but logistically it seems like it would probably work.

Also illegal but also a thing I have done in the past is to just not pay my last month's rent and deal with an annoyed landlord for that month while I'm moving out, and then just tell them to keep the deposit to cover the rent, and document that I left the apartment in good condition. Super illegal but it puts the onus on the landlord to go after you for a month's rent that they literally already are in possession of. I'm sure a determined and smart landlord would have some recourse but I never had an issue doing this when I rented.

(like to be clear this is not advice and I don't recommend anyone do it, I'm sure bad things could happen and it's definitely some flavor of illegal, and unlike when landlords break the law the courts will be stacked the gently caress against you if it does come to that)

grah has issued a correction as of 22:22 on Jul 13, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

It's honestly a shame a ton of people aren't squatting in really nice Airbnb apartments and refusing to move out without court proceedings. There were some articles about one guy doing this a few years back but it's really uncommon which is weird since all you need is to put up the money for one nights stay and then you can live there for a few months. Seems like people in San Fran should be doing this nonstop

Makes me think of this classic

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/most-bizarre-airbnb-feud-story-6824921.php

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
drat, grah's trick to guarantee a deposit back is something every renter should know

Our school's lawyer explained to me that the big tower landlords here are known to keep (steal) all our students' deposits as a matter of policy, and they just eat the legal cost of occasionally getting in trouble for it because it winds up still putting them ahead

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

my rent went from 800 to 1125 last year, and they put me on a 10 month lease that renews on sept 1, peak of the rentbubble season

I'm excited to see how hard they gently caress me this round

(this is denver)

if they go past 1300, i'm just going to move out to a small town in norcal, as i can wfh wherever i get broadband and if i'm going to be paying cali tier rents for a shack, i might as well get a shack in cali amongst the redwoods

it might actually be more expensive to live in most of norcal these days than near Denver dude. Even shitholes like Oroville are slowly rising in price because every remote worker has the same idea you do

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Nah, i still tell peeps i only pay 1150 per mo with roommates in menlo park and they get shocked

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

my rent went from 800 to 1125 last year, and they put me on a 10 month lease that renews on sept 1, peak of the rentbubble season

I'm excited to see how hard they gently caress me this round

(this is denver)

if they go past 1300, i'm just going to move out to a small town in norcal, as i can wfh wherever i get broadband and if i'm going to be paying cali tier rents for a shack, i might as well get a shack in cali amongst the redwoods

yeah colorado is cool and all, but couldn't handle the overnight (5 years or so) transition to become a super popular millennial destination with skyrocketing rents--same issue CA has but even quicker. entrenced baby bombers fighting against new housing, glut of people needing a place to live + pent up demand. most bigger cities with rent problems enacted rent control in some forms back in the 60s-80s, and now its political boogyman verbotten position, but theres nothing at all in CO, and no one is politically going to go ham for it.

Larry Parrish posted:

it might actually be more expensive to live in most of norcal these days than near Denver dude. Even shitholes like Oroville are slowly rising in price because every remote worker has the same idea you do
yeah you probably won't find a whole lot for $1300, unless it's like studio-sized or a weird granny-unit or your willing to go with roommates. I lived in Davis from 09-11 and my rent was like $650 a month but I checked in with peeps I know and apparently it's all going for like $1400+ (1br) now lol. for some more rural places like placer/nevada county, depending on the size of what you want, you might still be able to swing something for $1000 idk

if you want to wfh, honestly probably consider some small towns in WA/OR (i.e. Bend is pretty nice for what it is or like Springfield/Eugene or Salem-y area), or even some small towns in CO.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Jul 14, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Man, using your deposit as your last month's rent is ingenious. I mean, that sort of thing is what it's for anyway. Some landlords require two months' rent as a deposit, though, and I bet that's exactly why.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaris posted:

yeah colorado is cool and all, but couldn't handle the overnight (5 years or so) transition to become a super popular millennial destination with skyrocketing rents--same issue CA has but even quicker. entrenced baby bombers fighting against new housing, glut of people needing a place to live + pent up demand. most bigger cities with rent problems enacted rent control in some forms back in the 60s-80s, and now its political boogyman verbotten position, but theres nothing at all in CO, and no one is politically going to go ham for it.

yeah you probably won't find a whole lot for $1300, unless it's like studio-sized or a weird granny-unit or your willing to go with roommates. I lived in Davis from 09-11 and my rent was like $650 a month but I checked in with peeps I know and apparently it's all going for like $1400+ (1br) now lol. for some more rural places like placer/nevada county, depending on the size of what you want, you might still be able to swing something for $1000 idk

if you want to wfh, honestly probably consider some small towns in WA/OR (i.e. Bend is pretty nice for what it is or like Springfield/Eugene or Salem-y area), or even some small towns in CO.

i live in el dorado county and its completely impossible to find anything that isnt a room for rent below $1000

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
kill all landlords

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In California they have to send you an itemized bill which means they cant really just invent stuff whole cloth, because if anyone brings a civil suit suddenly they have to be able to prove that the carpet was covered in cigarette burns or something

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Time to repost my story about my landlord being poo poo

Last fall the shower wall started falling apart. Tiles were coming off and the drywall and poo poo came with them. I called the office and tell them to come fix it. Six months later I still have a hole. They "lost the paperwork" but they'll be there Monday to get started

Monday comes and goes. And Tuesday. They show up Wednesday because I called Tuesday to be like y'all I am having to use another shower because I don't know when you're coming to do this and I can't use it the day you start work please just tell me what's going on

Then they give me a notice thAt I'm violating the lease because j have too many empty soda cans and I'm not maintaining the property

A couple weeks later my toilet was leaking pretty steady, like a gallon an hour, on Easter. I call the emergency line three times and there's no answer. I get a call from the office in the morning, after I've mopped the toilet water three times over night because the bucket overflowed,, and they get incredulous that I would call the emergency line on Easter, because the holiday means it's less important

Even after I explain it to them they didn't come out for another two hours and then it was only because I called to say "I'm not mopping this poo poo again, fix this or I get a plumber and take it out of rent"

I hate this place so much. I can rent a house twice the size for less money. gently caress this.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
here’s a story of a renter win(ish):

last place I rented from not only a lovely company to rent from, they were also apparently a lovely company to work for. we had moved because there had been a ridiculous mold outbreak due to them breaking the drain to the sewer as they “renovated” the apartment, then just putting flooring over it instead of fixing it. after our complaints about mold went without response for two months, they finally responded by saying they weren’t going to renew our lease, and we had to find a new place.
about a month into our new apartment, we got a call from the woman who had been the property manager for our complex. she had had enough of the company’s slimy rear end business practices (and was tired of the company after they had forced her to work as much as usual as her loving dad died) and was calling to get details of our experiences. she then pretended that me and my so had contacted her with a lawyer and had a friend call the company with the details of our experiences, then offer to settle out of court. she had sway with the company, and helped convince them to settle out of court. we ended up getting 5 grand out of the company (basically the rent we had paid while mold was growing with a couple extra for good measure). she ended up getting fired after she did this for a couple other renters her company screwed over.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

lol Bend is more expensive than Portland.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

PostNouveau posted:

lol Bend is more expensive than Portland.

is it really? p-town was pretty expensive for what it is given how it exploded in popularity in the latter 2000s n stuff, but i thought bend still p good value and under most peoples radar. my bad then, visit somewhat ofte and got a friend who lives there pretty cheaply and seemed relatively affordable, but that may be just an anomaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

is it really? p-town was pretty expensive for what it is given how it exploded in popularity in the latter 2000s n stuff, but i thought bend still p good value and under most peoples radar. my bad then, visit somewhat ofte and got a friend who lives there pretty cheaply and seemed relatively affordable, but that may be just an anomaly.

I have a relative who lives there now and she's moving to Portland and she's expecting to pay less in Portland. I think she was paying $1,300 for a 1br apartment.